PDA

View Full Version : Ghost of a chance

BiblioRook
2011-10-15, 03:34 AM
On my list of things I always wanted to play, near the top has always been a ghost. Undead, self-aware, incorporeal.

This has been surprisingly hard to pull off.

After a while of searching with inconclusive results I figure I would just cut to the chase and just ask. What would be a good setting to play as a ghost?

Morph Bark
2011-10-15, 03:38 AM
Ghostwalk. :smallwink:

mafddawg
2011-10-15, 03:48 AM
Topic made me immediately think of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BA6_2GVsRMQ#t=173s)

BiblioRook
2011-10-15, 04:16 AM
Ghostwalk. :smallwink:

I always seem to forget about that book, but it actually doesn't really help me. Most of the people I play with view that book among the more obscure of the supplements and aren't as willing to let people use it sense they themselves aren't familiar with it. Unless of course they were playing as a game that specifically focused on it.
Not to mention if I was just fishing for the easy answer I really probably needn't have bother making the thread :smallwink:

No, I was more wondering about actual systems where playing as a ghost is an acceptably feasible option, because for as much as the people I know shy away from obscure rules in systems they already are familiar with, one thing they can't get enough of are systems they never heard of.

Yora
2011-10-15, 05:55 AM
Topic made me immediately think of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BA6_2GVsRMQ#t=173s)

So very true. :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2011-10-15, 09:32 AM
You could go with White Wolf's Wraith: the Oblivion, a game about playing ghosts in the modern world, but I'll warn you - it is viewed as the most depressing thing they've ever published, even moreso than Changeling: the Dreaming. :smalleek:

Calanon
2011-10-15, 06:20 PM

If i used Control undead on Bones do i win the duel? :smallcool:

EDIT: You could always make an Incantation that can turn you into a ghost :smallsmile: the fair trade would be you lose your corporal form for an Incorporeal form (and a limited time to actually manifest xD)

Sir Augusta
2011-10-15, 07:04 PM
When i saw this thread, I immediatley though of Yugioh Abridged- "You don't stand a GHOST of a chance!" So I looked on the thread, and 3 people already posted about it:smallbiggrin:

On topic, I once had a fellow party member who died near the end of the campaign, and the DM let him be a ghost until he had finished something that was really important to his character. Not sure what rules they used for it though...

icefractal
2011-10-15, 07:47 PM
Setting, or system?

If you're talking D&D, the Ghost's LA is huge, but you do get a lot of stuff for it.
Just start at level 8+ and don't be a spellcaster - Rogue works nicely.
Settingwise: Ravenloft (obvious fit), maybe Dark Sun (lots of ways to die there), but really any setting is possible.

If you're talking system - there's several systems that allow you to play ghosts, but I can't think of too many that are really ghost-centric.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 07:51 PM
BiblioRook, are you a writer for Yu-Gi-Oh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSP0OEIm3CM):smallwink:

BiblioRook
2011-10-16, 01:30 AM
Setting, or system?

I definably was aiming more for system suggestions rather then setting. As I mentioned I do know of options out there that kinda give me the possibility of playing as a ghost in D&D, but most of them tend to be off the table as far as many of the people I play with.
As for setting, it absolutely doesn't have to be ghost centric, just as long as playing as a ghost is a clear and recognizable option. In fact, I might say that not having it ghost centric is sometimes preferable as other wise you just have everyone as a ghost and that's kinda dull.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-16, 01:48 AM
Mutants and Masterminds, The Window, practically any rules-light game, nWoD, oWoD, D&D 3.5e, need I go on? Seriously, there are plenty of systems that let you play a ghost without another player duplicaying your special snowflake. What exactly is the problem? What are you looking for?

BiblioRook
2011-10-16, 12:42 PM
Mutants and Masterminds, The Window, practically any rules-light game, nWoD, oWoD, D&D 3.5e, need I go on? Seriously, there are plenty of systems that let you play a ghost without another player duplicaying your special snowflake. What exactly is the problem? What are you looking for?

It's really not as much me trying to make a 'special snowflake' but rather I just really dislike playing systems that so heavily push torwads a single charicter consept that everyone plays the same thing.

I honestly never heard of The Window. But as for the rest, I mentioned I tried doing it with D&D but could never get it past, and really I can't say I'm particually keen on doing WoD. With MaM, well, superheroes just really aren't my thing.

Keeping to a rules-light system would probably be best as it's more just the consept I'm after, not the mechanics. Problem is most people in my RPG circle are unimaginitive as it gets and can't really wrap their heads around a charicter consept not outlined in a rulebook. Working around the fluff of something is often fine and good, but I could be claiming to be playing as the Queen of Spain for all the good it genurally does me.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-16, 01:37 PM
It's really not as much me trying to make a 'special snowflake' but rather I just really dislike playing systems that so heavily push torwads a single charicter consept that everyone plays the same thing.

I honestly never heard of The Window. But as for the rest, I mentioned I tried doing it with D&D but could never get it past, and really I can't say I'm particually keen on doing WoD. With MaM, well, superheroes just really aren't my thing.

Keeping to a rules-light system would probably be best as it's more just the consept I'm after, not the mechanics. Problem is most people in my RPG circle are unimaginitive as it gets and can't really wrap their heads around a charicter consept not outlined in a rulebook. Working around the fluff of something is often fine and good, but I could be claiming to be playing as the Queen of Spain for all the good it genurally does me.

I think your problem is a lack of clarity and priorities. You have a specific desire, that's good. However, you seem to lose sight of what tools you have available, what your current situation is, and what is feasible for you in particular.

Start answering questions first, and they will naturally guide you to the solution.

Who is going to play this game with you? Will you do it on the internet or at a table with actual people? If it's the latter, what games are they open to playing? Determine what is feasible for you. Don't shoot in the dark blindly. Figure out what games are actually possible for you to play in your group, and then start narrowing it down to the best of them.

Morph Bark
2011-10-16, 05:06 PM
Not to mention if I was just fishing for the easy answer I really probably needn't have bother making the thread :smallwink:

You'd be surprised how many forget about the easy answers.

And in this particular case, how few people know of Ghostwalk.

BiblioRook
2011-10-16, 07:56 PM
Who is going to play this game with you? Will you do it on the internet or at a table with actual people? If it's the latter, what games are they open to playing? Determine what is feasible for you. Don't shoot in the dark blindly. Figure out what games are actually possible for you to play in your group, and then start narrowing it down to the best of them.

Actually I think it's more you overcomplicating this rather then me, reguardless of my situation or who I play with, or what I have avalable, none of those really matter to my origonal question. This wasn't a thread of 'Oh gods, I need to learn how to effectively play ghosts!" But rather just a genural inquirary if there actually were systems out there where playing ghosts where a feasible or convenent option. Feasable as in a normal game, not so much in a obscure rules diving way looking for loop-holes for what I want. Yes, the question was answered to some extent, but as the thread is already made I see no harm in putting it to use and trying to get a deeper answer rather then clapping my hands and accepting the first option presented to me, most of which I actually knew about but couldn't or didn't really feel inclined to really use.