PDA

View Full Version : How to roleplay this guy?

PrGo
2011-10-15, 06:08 AM
Yesterday, we stared a new campaign and I rolled a Minotaur (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10295137&postcount=275) who'll get Phrenic template and later become a Soul Eater.
The thing I want to ask you, is how to roleplay his mental stats, which are:

INT 6
WIS 16
CHA 17

And through 5-6 levels, they'll improve to:

INT 8
WIS 18
CHA 22

So how to roleplay this guy? I know he'll be DERP when it comes to logic and tactics, but he'll be good with talking despite the whole "Me Tarzan, you Jane" thing going on. And high wisdom.

So, any ideas? Or popular movie/game/book characters that would have similar stats?
Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2011-10-15, 06:19 AM
When it comes to math, machines, battle tactics, and anything that requires careful planning, he is completely lost. However, he is extremely good at judging people and understanding their motivations.

Winds
2011-10-15, 06:23 AM
As far as INT, 10 is college-level. With an 8, he'd be at the level of most high school students. So he may not make the plans, but he's not a complete moron, so he can follow easily enough. If you're just attached to the wise, strong idiot however, you can roleplay it lower if you like.

Yora
2011-10-15, 06:26 AM
The one character I can think of who follows the low Int, high Wis and Cha concept would be Sam Gamgee from Lord of the Rings. However, his stats would probably not be as extreme as these.

PrGo
2011-10-15, 06:28 AM
The one character I can think of who follows the low Int, high Wis and Cha concept would be Sam Gamgee from Lord of the Rings. However, his stats would probably not be as extreme as these.

Haha! Sweet comparison! Thanks, I'll be sure to implement parts of his character into this guy :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-10-15, 07:03 AM
Copy-pasted from another post about Charisma:

Charisma can involve any number of the following:

Sense of self
Self-worth
Self-confidence
Self-respect
Physical appearance
Grooming
Build
Posture
How one holds oneself
How one presents oneself
Likeability
Ability to read others
Empathy
Ability to relate to others
Communication skills
General social skills
Ability to manipulate others
Ability to convince others
Strength of presence
Strength of personality
Ability to read and act correctly upon social cues
Knowledge of unwritten social rules
Annnnnnd so on.

Brand new for this thread, a similar list for Wisdom:

Keenness of senses
Awareness of surroundings
Instincts
Self-awareness (as in... Can't think of the word for it, but the sort of thing that tells you where to touch your nose and what your limbs are doing and that distinguishes "self" from "everything else")
Empathy
Common sense
Hunches
Intuition
Strength of mind
Understanding
Innate talent
Prudence
Sense of self-preservation
No doubt others I haven't thought of.

And for Intelligence:

Logic
Reasoning
Planning
Ability to learn
Problem-solving
Abstract thought
Articulated...ness
Tactical and strategic ability
Clarity of thought
Memory
Processing of information
Retention of knowledge
And so on.

Note that it is possible for there to be overlap in ability score themes. Empathy can be a feature of Wisdom or Charisma as here, for example.

So, with these in mind... What sort of character do you want to play?

Bryn
2011-10-15, 09:18 AM
Self-awareness (as in... Can't think of the word for it, but the sort of thing that tells you where to touch your nose and what your limbs are doing and that distinguishes "self" from "everything else")
Proprioception (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception).

Urpriest
2011-10-15, 10:57 AM
Phrenic Soul-Eater Minotaur says to me that your Cha represents a strong force of personality and an intimidating presence, while your Wis represents how attuned you are with your bestial, instinctual nature.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 12:17 PM
So how to roleplay this guy? I know he'll be DERP when it comes to logic and tactics, but he'll be good with talking despite the whole "Me Tarzan, you Jane" thing going on. And high wisdom.

Not really. Tactics kind of fall under the category of wisdom. Really, the character would be cunning and clever. He'd stink at concentrating though. I guess imagine someone super smart but they just can't focus when it comes to books or long conversations because of their mental condition.

Spiryt
2011-10-15, 12:37 PM
Not really. Tactics kind of fall under the category of wisdom. Really, the character would be cunning and clever. He'd stink at concentrating though. I guess imagine someone super smart but they just can't focus when it comes to books or long conversations because of their mental condition.

Uh, no, not at all...:smallconfused:

Clever = intelligent (http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/clever%20/) above all else.

Coming up with any sort of tactics would be pretty much connected with knowledge, intelligence and whole lot of spatial ability, imagination, and general ability to proceed stuff in your "RAM".

Implementing it may be more "lizard brain" wisdom thing of course, but....

PrGo
2011-10-15, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Serpentine, for that list. It'll help a lot.

Phrenic Soul-Eater Minotaur says to me that your Cha represents a strong force of personality and an intimidating presence, while your Wis represents how attuned you are with your bestial, instinctual nature.

Nice. That's a good way to put it simply. I'll use that as a base for further personality development. Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 02:59 PM

Clever = intelligent (http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/clever%20/) above all else.

Coming up with any sort of tactics would be pretty much connected with knowledge, intelligence and whole lot of spatial ability, imagination, and general ability to proceed stuff in your "RAM".

Um, yes, yes it does...

I highly doubt an online website that lists a few synonyms for a would makes it a legit argument. Intelligent is just book-smarts. You're ability to memorize facts. That's why wizards use it for spells. Intelligent, wisdom, and charisma can all be used to outsmart someone, each in a different way. You have a default in one of them, but the other two are really high so you're still a crafty, cunning person that can easily outsmart someone. You're still clever.

Spiryt
2011-10-15, 03:11 PM
Um, yes, yes it does...

I highly doubt an online website that lists a few synonyms for a would makes it a legit argument. Intelligent is just book-smarts. You're ability to memorize facts. That's why wizards use it for spells. Intelligent, wisdom, and charisma can all be used to outsmart someone, each in a different way. You have a default in one of them, but the other two are really high so you're still a crafty, cunning person that can easily outsmart someone. You're still clever.

As abstract those 'abilities' are this really doesn't hold that much to the definitions WotC provided - nicely summed up by Serpentine in this very thread for example.

Someone with very high Wisdom can 'outsmart' someone by being savvy, level headed and generally 'wise'.

He is very unlikely to actually "outhink" anyone, to be crafty and creative -because he has literally insufficient brain capabilities to come with compicated ideas and analyze them quickly.

Not enough brain "clock rate" to actually craft solutions, possible results or risks quickly and efficiently.

My dog or rat can do, detect, find or whatever stuff in pretty crazy way, but in no way they can outsmart me.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-15, 03:18 PM
Low intelligence, high wisdom, high charisma? Forrest Gump. Low IQ, but a lot of common sense and simple life wisdom, and he has enough charisma to become a sensation and lead the crowds whenever he goes. An alternate approach would be a shonen anime main character - kind of an idiot, but has good judgement and instincts, and has the natural ability to inspire people.

As far as INT, 10 is college-level. With an 8, he'd be at the level of most high school students. So he may not make the plans, but he's not a complete moron, so he can follow easily enough. If you're just attached to the wise, strong idiot however, you can roleplay it lower if you like.

Lolwut. Not only is intelligence unrelated to education, because education is represented by your knowledge skills, but also a typical college student has a much higher level of theoretical knowledge than an average dweller of a medieval fantasy world.

Spiryt
2011-10-15, 03:25 PM
Lolwut. Not only is intelligence unrelated to education, because education is represented by your knowledge skills, but also a typical college student has a much higher level of theoretical knowledge than an average dweller of a medieval fantasy world.

Depends about what I guess. Probably not really much more theoretical knowledge about, say, mushrooms, local taxation, wolves tracks and habits, barrel making or whatever.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-15, 03:25 PM
As a general rule of planning and mental stats, go look at Nale's plans. Or Wile E. Coyote's plans. A high wisdom character is better at predicting what an enemy's going to do, how to use their surroundings, and how their plan is going to work in practice.

RedWarlock
2011-10-15, 04:25 PM
I would say he would be someone who lives for the moment, enjoys himself at every immediate opportunity, but isn't far-thinking. He doesn't plan, he reacts, and well.

Limit his steps to no more than three or four. ("Okay, I need to do this, go there, do that, and.. umm...")

Very good at reading situations and intent, but poor implementation skills. When he acts, it's decisive, with no hesitation or doubt.

Silma
2011-10-16, 12:10 AM

Tactics do generally fall under wisdom actually, but i guess one could day that tactics is a mixture of INT and WIS.

But I will agree with whoever said that INT is book-smart. The PH says:
INT: describes how well your character
learns and reasons.
WIS: measures your common sense, perception,
self-discipline, and empathy. You use your
Wisdom score to notice details, sense danger, and get a
read on other people.

I'd say making a plan is a little more "using common sense to gain an advantage" than it is "analyzing and reasoning"

So, making a plan would probably be around 40% INT, and 60% WIS I think.

Serpentine
2011-10-16, 01:03 AM
Intelligent is just book-smarts. You're ability to memorize facts.No ability is "just" anything, least of all Intelligence. No point going into detail why, though - I already have in my previous post.

I would think that tactics and strategy could both fall under both Intelligence and Wisdom, with possibly tactics leaning slightly more towards Wisdom and strategy slightly more towards Intelligence, but I think both are more indicative and/or definitive of Intelligence.

PrGo
2011-10-16, 07:38 AM
Thanks a lot, everyone! I have more than enough material to make a memorable character :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2011-10-16, 08:40 AM
Tactics do generally fall under wisdom actually, but i guess one could day that tactics is a mixture of INT and WIS.

I'd say making a plan is a little more "using common sense to gain an advantage" than it is "analyzing and reasoning"

Yeah, no. I'd buy tactics being wisdom if the situation in question is trying to retain order in a heated combat, but as a rule its all about interpreting observations through training and experience. You need to know what an ambush might look like, how terrain will affect combat, so on and so forth, and then you need to manipulate that knowledge. If you know that fires and banners may indicate a vacant hill or chunk of plain that is disguised as an army, and that if there is forest nearby it might contain an ambush, then you can reason out that putting a bunch of fires and banners in place when there is a forest nearby can trick someone who has demonstrated signs of caution into suspecting an ambush near the forest, and reason from there that they will probably avoid the area, and as such the "empty camp" makes a perfect place to actually hold troops, as it won't be expected.

One analyzes the situation, one analyzes the opposition, and then tactics are really a matter of tricking your opponent into believing or doing something that you can capitalize on, while not being tricked into believing or doing something they can capitalize on. Wisdom, the D&D term, has its place in this, as observation skills are critical, but the analysis is where it all comes together. Plus, observation skills can be supplemented with these fancy things called guides and informants, which are likely also these fancy things called party members in a roleplaying game.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-16, 09:44 AM
But I will agree with whoever said that INT is book-smart.

There were many historical cases of people with absolutely brilliant minds but no or barely any education. Are you saying those people had low intelligence scores?

Book-smarts = knowledge skills. Intelligence helps with those because smarter people learn faster and can understand complex ideas easier.

Morph Bark
2011-10-16, 12:19 PM
When it comes to math, machines, battle tactics, and anything that requires careful planning, he is completely lost. However, he is extremely good at judging people and understanding their motivations.

Nuh-uh!

Natural Cunning (Ex)
Although minotaurs are not especially intelligent, they possess innate cunning and logical ability. This gives them immunity to maze spells, prevents them from ever becoming lost, and enables them to track enemies. Further, they are never caught flat-footed.

:smalltongue:

prufock
2011-10-18, 06:49 PM
I see a couple basic ways to play this.

1 - The friendly giant. Not very bright, but sensible, and nice to people. Doesn't have a large vocab or understand complex ideas, but understands the "important" things in life, like loyalty, friendship, etc.

2 - The big dumb jock. Again, not very bright or good with the book-larnin', but popular despite being a loudmouth, or possibly because of it.

Anderlith
2011-10-18, 07:35 PM
You should go for the lovable idiot. The Jock that means well & has good commonsense but has little grasp on "higher learnin'" Basically play it like a TV hero type. For inspiration, think Xander (Buffy), Clark (Smallville), or Cordelia Chase (Buffy/Angel)

LibraryOgre
2011-10-18, 09:10 PM
Generally, you're looking at someone who may have good tactics (he's got an intuitive grasp of the situation, and his gut leads him well), but is going to SUCK at strategy. He's going to excel at making use of the tools he has, but be poor at picking the correct tools to bring with him.

For example, tell this guy you're going to be building a barn, and he'll bring a hammer... but he'll forget that you might need a saw. Once he shows up with that hammer, he'll figure out how to use that hammer... but it won't be as easy as if there's a guy along who brought a saw.

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 09:18 PM
Your Conan.

You think fast and react instinctively, and your instincts are often very good. You've got a strong personal magnetism, and something about you just screams badass/scares the piss out of people.

You do not, however, play chess, read novels or tomes of history or lore, or invent things.

Dragoon 6
2011-10-18, 10:47 PM
It's hard to tell if this arguement is till going on or not, but since I don't see any clear resolution to it here we go:

"Tactics" is broad a thing to be attributed to a single ability, and needs to be thrown out of the discusion. Let's return to basics for a sec:

INT gives a numerical measure of a characters ability to think, learn, and connect ideas together, especially about things that aren't immediately in front of them. a high INT allows to understand the principles behind a complex idea, and apply that in new, sometimes innovative ways. INT is the father of engineering (not the skill, the field).

WIS quantifies a characters strength of will, and innate ability to sense the world around, ESPECIALLY other living things and thier state of mind/being.

The critical difference between the two is in how information gathered is processes, NOT how it is used. INT is about thinking, WIS is about feeling. The reason a Monk's AC bonus, and stun DC are keyed off of WIS, is because a monk's skill in those areas are based on feeling thier opponants out, rather than thinking ahead of them.

Now Tactics: Tactics is a huge mix of training and intuition. Terrain, timing, force, equipment, allies, resources, morale.....these are all things that fall under tactics, and each mental stat has a role in influencing all this. Depending on what scale of warfare you want to talk about, different things come into play as well.

Cerlis
2011-10-18, 11:45 PM
remember, wolves are good at tactics but have an int of 2. (not as good as human) Humans have the ability to usetheir high int to think of complex situations and results that go long intot he future, but cleverness is something strong in the animal kingdom.

Knaight
2011-10-18, 11:50 PM
remember, wolves are good at tactics but have an int of 2. (not as good as human) Humans have the ability to usetheir high int to think of complex situations and results that go long intot he future, but cleverness is something strong in the animal kingdom.

Wolves are good at incredibly small scale tactics when they outnumber someone. And that is pretty much it - how good they are is blown out of proportion, and all they really have going for them is "surround, hit the weaker ones, try not to attack unless they are distracted by someone else". Remember, an individual battle with hundreds of thousands of people would still be tactics, and decently large and varied groups are basically assumed with the word and technology level in question. At that point, it takes a human.

Cerlis
2011-10-19, 12:10 AM
Wolves are good at incredibly small scale tactics when they outnumber someone. And that is pretty much it - how good they are is blown out of proportion, and all they really have going for them is "surround, hit the weaker ones, try not to attack unless they are distracted by someone else". Remember, an individual battle with hundreds of thousands of people would still be tactics, and decently large and varied groups are basically assumed with the word and technology level in question. At that point, it takes a human.

a battle of that scale also takes months or years of training for everyone involved , escpessially the dozens of intelligent generals and commanders who have to either being very smart and wise or at least have the ability to retain what to do in various situations if they dont have the ability to come up with it on their own. Further battles like that are entirely ruined by simple mistakes that wolves make on the hunt, such as lunging (pursuring an enemy) that is faking hurt.

So the two situations arent really that comparable:smallwink:

Knaight
2011-10-19, 12:14 AM
a battle of that scale also takes months or years of training for everyone involved , escpessially the dozens of intelligent generals and commanders who have to either being very smart and wise or at least have the ability to retain what to do in various situations if they dont have the ability to come up with it on their own. Further battles like that are entirely ruined by simple mistakes that wolves make on the hunt, such as lunging (pursuring an enemy) that is faking hurt.

So the two situations arent really that comparable:smallwink:

Exactly. There is lots and lots of training involved, because instincts are pretty much worthless at that point - though observational skills are not, and are still put under Wisdom in D&D for some reason.

Anderlith
2011-10-19, 01:46 AM
Intelligence is a combination of intuition & innovation. (Or to put it in D&D terms Wis & Int). Intelligence is separate from Knowledge. Any idiot can memorize an encyclopedia & regurgitate information on command, but Intelligence is best measured by the application of Knowledge.

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-19, 02:10 AM
Anyone can memorize a book.
An Intelligent person will memorize it completely, and understands the context for its use.
A Wise person would memorize the most important parts first, and could recite them perfectly on command.
A Charismatic person would recite whatever of the book they memorized in a way that makes people want to listen.

A smart and wise, but not charismatic, person would give you all of the important parts when they're needed, but they would give them dryly.
A smart, and charismatic, but not wise, person would tell you the entire contents of the book, and would keep you interested for the entirety of their incredibly long lecture.
A wise and charismatic, but not particularly smart, person would give you the important parts in a memorable way, but only if you knew to ask.

Serpentine
2011-10-19, 02:21 AM
Wolves are good at incredibly small scale tactics when they outnumber someone. And that is pretty much it - how good they are is blown out of proportion, and all they really have going for them is "surround, hit the weaker ones, try not to attack unless they are distracted by someone else".Not wolves, but I've seen footage of (iirc) African hunting dogs on the hunt. They trotted along the trail and, one by one, they each peeled off at a specific point to go off to their own designated points. I suppose it's possible that's the case, but I find it seriously hard to imagine that they could be so coordinated and... professional without at least some significant degree of communication, coordination and even planning. It was more than just "surround, hit weaker ones", etc. It was coordinated - at least by appearance.

Anderlith
2011-10-19, 02:27 AM
Anyone can memorize a book.
An Intelligent person will memorize it completely, and understands the context for its use.
A Wise person would memorize the most important parts first, and could recite them perfectly on command.
A Charismatic person would recite whatever of the book they memorized in a way that makes people want to listen.

A smart and wise, but not charismatic, person would give you all of the important parts when they're needed, but they would give them dryly.
A smart, and charismatic, but not wise, person would tell you the entire contents of the book, and would keep you interested for the entirety of their incredibly long lecture.
A wise and charismatic, but not particularly smart, person would give you the important parts in a memorable way, but only if you knew to ask.

Where is the application of the knowledge?
So what if you read a book. What did you learn from it? How can you use that knowledge? Say you read a book about the mechanical parts of cars & was able to now apply that knowledge to cars, does that mean you could work on specialized construction equipment? Or could you use that knowledge about cars to work on the construction equipment? A gasket is a gasket. A servomotor is still a servomotor. Application is the measure of Intelligence & that comes from Intuition & Innovation.

dps
2011-10-19, 10:56 PM
Way I'd look at it, the character is really good at intuitive reasoning (high wisdom), but pretty bad at deductive reasoning (low intelligence). He's a natural leader (very high charisma), d'oh. He'd be a great battlefield commander--for example, he'd usually just know if an attack was the enemy's main effort or just a diversion, or when it was the right time to commit his reserves (we're talking large battles here, not "standard" DnD-sized encounters, but the principle would still apply). But he better have a good #2 to organize his logistics, 'cause an army marches on it's stomach, and this guy isn't going to be about to figure out how much rations the army needs or the like.

cattoy
2011-10-20, 03:21 PM
It's Forrest Thump.