PDA

View Full Version : stormgaurd warrior: combat rhythm

limejuicepowder
2011-10-15, 03:26 PM
I'm playing around with a combat rhythm-focused warblade/fighter. Through 6 levels:

1st:warblade: weap prof bastard sword, two weap fighting
2nd:warblade
3rd:warblade: (free)
4th:warblade
5th:warblade: (bonus warblade feat) ironheart aura
6th:figher: imp two weap fighting, stormgaurd warrior

he would mostly fight like a regular warblade, except on rounds he used to replenish maneuvers, use combat rhythm to set up an insane next round. two weap fighting allows more touch attacks, and opens up more options for maneuvers (in the form of tiger style).

is combat rhythm worth using? I always hear about channel the storm, an ability I don't really care for (allowing people to hit you doesn't seem like a great long-term plan, extra damage or not).

Nich_Critic
2011-10-15, 04:40 PM
Channel the storm doesn't let the enemy hit you, unless you have karmic strike and robilars. Then, the goal is punish your opponent for hitting you (and moving, and spellcasting, and *not* moving, and *not* attacking you... etc). It's a pretty nice bonus, but needs a particular build to shine. The topic's not about it, though.

Regarding combat rhythm... it's not bad. Unlike channel the storm, it doesn't increase your attack bonus. It's main use is for expending attacks that don't have much chance of hitting regular AC, but have a better chance of hitting touch. I don't know that I would use all my attacks on it (your choice). Essentially, you're trading a certain amount of damage (how much one attack does), for 5* the number of attacks you can make and reliably hit with next round. This can be a good trade, but keep in mind that combat ends quickly, so damage right now is usually better then damage next turn.

If you really want to focus on it, I would grab the snap kick for the extra attack, which you can use even when you're initiating a manoeuvre. You attack with the manoeuvre at -2, and then you make a touch attack at -2 for a more or less consistent +5 on all your attacks. This is a little more stable then having charge up rounds (but you can still do those).

What manoeuvres are you using? I would recommend sapphire nightmare blade and emerald razor - If you're charging up, you want the best chance that you'll hit. Most enemies don't have high armor and high dex, at the same time, so use the one that's appropriate.