PDA

View Full Version : leaping dragon stance

limejuicepowder
2011-10-15, 04:13 PM
ok this is kind of stupid, but can this stance be used to charge someone who is adjacent? Jump really high, come back down as a charge? It contains a turn (of a sorts) so maybe only "acrobatic charge" type characters can pull it off. It would be totally awesome though xD.

Hirax
2011-10-15, 04:16 PM
Your movement would provoke attacks of opportunity, but yes, if you had some ability that allowed you to make a direction change while charging, you could jump up, then come back down to land your charge.

Quietus
2011-10-15, 04:40 PM
Or if you could get your Jump check high enough to get 10 feet of clearance, I believe a 10 foot fall can count as a charge. You'd have to jump over their heads too though or something? Then again, good luck getting a Jump check of 80 for a standing high jump of 10 feet.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-15, 04:54 PM
I don't know about the jumping charge part, but the jump dc is easy to get.

Then again, good luck getting a Jump check of 80 for a standing high jump of 10 feet.

Leaping Dragon Stance gives +10 to jump and allows all of a character's jumps to count as having a running start. Therefore, the jump DC would be 40 while the character already has a +10 to jump.

If you're playing a Warblade, then you should have at least a +5 bonus to jump from strength, which leaves you with the need to get a 25 to jump. This can be easily done by putting ranks in jump, ranks in balance, and a magical item or two to jump.

~

A level 11 character in my group has something like +33 to jump before going into Leaping Dragon Stance, you can do some ridiculous jumping in the game with that stance. It's almost as bad as jumping in Morrowind.

Daftendirekt
2011-10-15, 05:01 PM
Just play as a raptoran. +20 racial bonus to Jump ftw.

Fouredged Sword
2011-10-15, 05:06 PM
A raptorian in leaping dragon stance makes great use of sudden leap. They automatically move 30ft, and a +some+1d20 to it.

It makes a great swift action movement mode.

I made a great swordsage that did this all the time.

faceroll
2011-10-15, 05:20 PM
Note that dragon stance gives +10 FEET to jump checks, not +10 to jump checks. That's important, as every 1 foot vertical you wish to go, you need +4 to your jump check.

As a swift action, use sudden leap to get at least 10 feet up, then use your full round to charge back down.