PDA

View Full Version : Attck of Opportunity Master?

Dalek-K
2011-10-15, 05:32 PM
Is there a build out there for a Fighter (or other melee combatant) that is a master of Attack of Opportunity?

I want to use this feat

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill

Add in some reach weapon and power attack etc etc for some fun. Maybe a potion of enlarge person every so often.

The party is a paladin, rogue, and fighter. So the Paladin and Fighter most likely be using this stand still feat. However I would like my fighter to be built for it.

To bad you can't threaten with a bow...

Amphetryon
2011-10-15, 05:50 PM
Jack (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick) does pretty well at the AoO shtick.

mootoall
2011-10-15, 05:54 PM
Too bad you can't threaten with a bow...

You can, actually, with a Ranger spell called Arrowmind. Only spaces adjacent to you, though. And you no longer provoke AoOs from firing you bow.

gorfnab
2011-10-15, 05:56 PM
To bad you can't threaten with a bow...
Feat: Ranged Threat - Dragon Magazine #350

For an Attack of Opportunity build take a look into this list of feats from the Fighter's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870606/The_Fighters_Handbook_--_2007)

Feats:

Combat Reflexes (PHB): Make additional attacks of opportunity and even if you are flat-footed. Very nice feat and is required usually for others.

Hold the Line (CW): Nice with reach weapons and trip if you get charged a lot.

Karmic Strike (CW): Great for Attack of Opportunity builds.

Defensive Sweep (PHB II): Provoke AoOs from opponents that begin their actions adjacent to you and do not move.

Hindering Opportunist (PHB II): Replace AoOs with aid another.

Robilar's Gambit (PHB II): One of the best feats out there for this type of combat style.

Stalwart Defense (PHB II): Aid your opponents when they get attacked in melee by opponents by giving up AoOs.

Mage Slayer (CA): Bonus to will saves and spellcasters you threaten can't cast defensively.

Deft Opportunist (CV): +4 bonus on attack rolls when making AoOs.

Overhead Thrust (Draconomicon): Opponents attacking you from above generate AoOs.

Standstill (EPH): Stop opponent's movement with AoOs.

Double Hit (Miniatures Handbook): When making a AoO you may attack with your off hand at the same time.

Sidestep (Miniatures Handbook): Combined with feats like karmic strike or Robilar's Gambit, with this feat you can easily evade full attacks.

Evasive Reflexes (ToB): As above, but no AoO.
Another feat to add to this list would be Snap Kick (ToB) since it would give you an extra Unarmed Strike Attack on an Attack of Opportunity. Combat Expertise and Improved Trip with a reach weapon like a Guisarme or Spike Chain are really nice with AoO focused builds.

Kaje
2011-10-15, 06:27 PM
Bloodstorm Blades can do this with their thrown melee weapons, I believe.

Tokuhara
2011-10-15, 07:04 PM
I think this build will do you some good on AoE Beasts (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Inhuman_AoO-er_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))

Dalek-K
2011-10-15, 07:21 PM
I think this build will do you some good on AoE Beasts (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Inhuman_AoO-er_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))

Niceee..

However I don't think the DM will allow some of that build (such as Aberration Blood) however it is a great start and is what I want to do. Throw in the Stand Still feat and now we are talking.

I've been thinking since posting this thread, what I want is to imitate the 4e fighter. Tough, Good Damage, and things only move around me if I want them to. :smallamused:

Fighter/Crusader is a good mix, I'm reading the Crusader and I really like it mixing into what I want to do.

Question 1: Would the Crusader's Furious Counterstrike count with the AoO? It does say Turn.

Question 2: What is Blood Storm Blades?

Tokuhara
2011-10-15, 07:24 PM
Niceee..

However I don't think the DM will allow some of that build (such as Aberration Blood) however it is a great start and is what I want to do. Throw in the Stand Still feat and now we are talking.

I've been thinking since posting this thread, what I want is to imitate the 4e fighter. Tough, Good Damage, and things only move around me if I want them to. :smallamused:

Fighter/Crusader is a good mix, I'm reading the Crusader and I really like it mixing into what I want to do.

Question 1: Would the Crusader's Furious Counterstrike count with the AoO? It does say Turn.

Question 2: What is Blood Storm Blades?

Aberrant Blood is a cool chain of feats that give cool mutations, such as a tail, greater HP, and even WINGS

and Bloodstorm Blade is a prestige class based around Iron Heart. It involves you throwing melee weapons from Greatswords to Scythes (Talk about ranged crit fishing!)

Dalek-K
2011-10-15, 10:21 PM
From that build I think I'm going to tone it down a little. I don't really want to trip stuff since for one I don't think it will be that affective (we will be fighting lots of 4 + legged creatures) and two I will probably forget to trip them anyways haha.

Don't get me wrong... Things shouldn't be to bad since we are a paladin, fighter, and rogue after all but I could do without the tripping. I don't need more than 2 (double move) AoO per enemy.

I don't need to make AoO on everything for everything but basically I want enemies to fight me and not my allies (well not the rogue at least). Also I realized that something that in dept would be overly optimized for what the group is doing.

I just got the word from the DM, no Aberation Blood (Paladin might have problems with that...) or ToB. Though just about any other feat is OK (even some from ToB.

I want to be able to stop movement and stop enemies from shooting/blasting my allies soo what I need is....

AoO that stops
-Can I make more than 1 AoO on a single enemy (double move?... wait can you double move in 3.5? haha been playing 4e to much).
-Movement (Stand Still + Combat Expertise is great for this)
-Casting (Cause a con check... More Damage the higher the check.. Power Attack on an AoO? also Bloodstorm Blade?)
-Shooting a Bow (Bloodstorm Blade?)

Since ToB is out what is another progression that would give me what I want? Fighter X/ Class Y / Bloodstorm Blade?

Kaje
2011-10-16, 12:22 AM
Well... Bloodstorm Blade is from ToB...

deuxhero
2011-10-16, 01:04 AM
As far as core-only goes, the Horizon Tripper's battle tactics work off using AoO to trip.

Dalek-K
2011-10-16, 10:24 AM
Bloodstorm Blade is? I haven't read that far into the book to find out.

It looks like it gives abilities that aren't just maneuvers and stances so the DM might be alright with it. I'll ask for an exception.

I'm reading Bloodstorm Blade now and it seems like I might be able to imitate this prestige class... Throw Anything, Returning Weapon, Hmm...

Why do I feel the need to create Captain America?

Kaje
2011-10-16, 12:17 PM
Notice though that it has Iron Heart maneuvers as a pre-req and then spends them to fuel its class features.

And yes, Captain America is basically a Crusader / Warblade dip / Bloodstorm Blade.

Dalek-K
2011-10-18, 10:09 PM
I'm putting the Fighter into an excel sheet and checking out what feats I'm taking and when.

So far for first level I have

25 Point Buy (Str,Dex,Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

I want some skill points (Int) and I don't want a penalty for Will and I'll have the con required for the feats I'm taking later (min 13). For now my dex is 12 so I'll have +1 AoO.

Feats: 3
Quick Draw (1st Level)
Combat Reflexes (Fighter Bonus)
Stand Still (Human)

Weapons:
Glaive
Longsword
Dagger (2)
Mace
Longbow

At second level I'll be taking Blind Fight as my fighter bonus feat (prerequisite for later feats)

This feat at level 3 http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1818-mage-slayer.html

I'll be putting Ranks into Spell Craft of course.
Defensive Sweep will come later (~level 15)

EDIT: actually I could drop my wisdom score to 8 since ill have a additional 1 from mage slayer later on... hmm