PDA

View Full Version : The Weirdest Time-Waster You've Ever Been Sucked Into

MechaKingGhidra
2011-10-15, 05:55 PM
Be it anything from making beaded gecko keychains to reading forum discussions but not participating -just trying to figure out what the heck people are talking about in the FIRST place- and everything in-between, what has recently caught your eye and you wound up spending an unhealthy amount of time on it when you know you could have done a dozen different things actually productive?

Admittedly, I only got sucked in for less than 2 minutes on this *particular* one but they have been a problem for me in the past so it bears mentioning: automated chatting programs.

Fortunately, I was able to end the "conversation" rather swiftly this time around but again, they have drawn me in previous times to the point that I could not bear to close them without leaving the computer's reply in a personally perceived "loss".

This one took literally less than two minutes but I have a feeling that it is because I took a very careful manner of spelling, grammar, and topic-choosing into account. That and I'm pretty sure the ones I have had problems with in the past are far more advanced programs than this specific one.

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/HopelessAwkward/?action=view&current=Me-1Cleverbot-0.jpg

arguskos
2011-10-15, 06:44 PM
University. :smallsigh:

Savannah
2011-10-15, 07:08 PM
I'm currently reading a whole bunch of threads on here that I don't ever intend to comment on... Not sure if it's weird, per se, but it's certainly my most common procrastination tool.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-15, 07:14 PM
Two words: TV Tropes. :smallamused:

Nepenthe
2011-10-15, 07:54 PM
At one point I was spending several hours a day trying to beat my personal best at Minesweeper (192 sec. on expert). Finally gave up. Haven't played in years.

Ranger Mattos
2011-10-15, 08:40 PM
Not exactly weird, but Tetris is a great time-waster.

Cobalt
2011-10-16, 12:36 AM
Debating whether I want the centimeter-larger or centimeter-smaller version of the fan art picture to be the picture I use on my iPod song list to remember visually the music I saw it with, and comparing the two of the same image side by side.
Time is it now? 1:30?
Okay, apparently it took me half an hour. And I am considering going back.

Recherché
2011-10-16, 12:55 AM
Hand sewing. I have a sewing machine and could do most stuff with it, but I just like the experience of sewing stuff by hand. Other people however seem to think its weird to spend three hours straight handsewing part of a cosplay costume while watching MST3K.

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-16, 01:02 AM
I don't know I sometimes eat lays chips by pressing it up onto the roof of my mouth crushing it. Takes about 15 secounds a chip. Slow Counting.

But thats not really weird.:smallamused:

Trazoi
2011-10-16, 01:11 AM
There was that time I planned to spend the weekend working on a personal game programming project. I started by sketching out a rough architecture diagram for the game engine, with a guide of how information should flow between sections anthropomorphised as little stick figures. At the end of the weekend, I'd spent all my time turning the guide into some kind of cross between TRON and a 1930s film noir detective story:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8528/loua.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/loua.png/)

This kind of thing happens to me often.

Remmirath
2011-10-16, 01:31 AM
Perhaps making various lists with completely useless information about various of my characters in them, sometimes making essentially the same list more than once and not realising it? Nothing particularly odd comes to mind.

I have occasionally spent far too much time figuring out how I might theoretically pull off some artistic project or other and then decide that I don't really want to do it anyhow. It feels pointless, but I'm not sure it's weird.

I'm currently reading a whole bunch of threads on here that I don't ever intend to comment on... Not sure if it's weird, per se, but it's certainly my most common procrastination tool.

I find myself doing this quite a lot on various forums I belong to (this one included).

Serpentine
2011-10-16, 02:00 AM
Untangle. (http://www.addictinggames.com/puzzle-games/untangle.jsp)

Also I can literally spend hours not doing anything in the internet :smallsigh:

Coidzor
2011-10-16, 02:49 AM
Pointless internet arguments. They're not pleasant, nothing ever gets accomplished, they distract from what I'm after in the first place, and they take on a life of their own, but there's just something about people being wrong on the internet.

Then again, perhaps that's just the most annoying time wasting activity I've encountered that I can recall offhand.

Trazoi, have I told you how much bro-love I have for you this season? Because, seriously, brahsome. :smallbiggrin:

llamamushroom
2011-10-16, 02:53 AM
For me, it was a two-hour press conference in a language I didn't understand. That, or watching the full backlog of How I Met Your Mother episodes, which I did earlier this year.

I can find so many incredibly interesting things to do when I'm procrastinating. Case in point: I started watching Lilo & Stitch, despite the fact that I have exams to write.

Cespenar
2011-10-16, 03:53 AM

Amen, brother.

tensai_oni
2011-10-16, 07:48 AM
I could say TVTropes or Akinator, but they're not weird. They're awesome.

Chris-chan wiki. Please don't google it if you value your sanity.

shawnhcorey
2011-10-16, 09:30 AM
Must...resist...T...V...Tropes...arrrgggggggghhhhh hh!

Haruki-kun
2011-10-16, 11:16 AM

This.

Also I can literally spend hours not doing anything in the internet :smallsigh:

Yup, this too. If no one stopped me, I would stay in front of the computer doing nothing all day.

MechaKingGhidra
2011-10-16, 11:36 AM
Must...resist...T...V...Tropes...arrrgggggggghhhhh hh!

Aaurgh! I looked this up earlier and I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a guilty pleasure to indulge in for some time to come.

But at least I found something useful to apply to when I get back into gaming:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys

It's quite hilarious because it's true. It's downright sad because I find it to be hilarious. And then I find it hilarious that I find it sad....

The cycle! It never ends! WHY?

I'm a glutton for punishment, it would seem. >.<

Savannah
2011-10-16, 12:39 PM
Untangle. (http://www.addictinggames.com/puzzle-games/untangle.jsp)

Thank you so much :smallsigh: (No, really, that's one of my favorite mini-game type thing in certain computer games, and I didn't know there was one without all the rest of the game around it :smalltongue:)

KenderWizard
2011-10-16, 01:35 PM
Today? It was checking the entire imperial family of Japan. But I can basically get stuck doing anything.

For example, after reading this thread, I now have TV Tropes and Untangled open, even though I was already working my way backwards through the Jezebel archive and I've got two random scientific papers open that I found through googling interesting phrases.

Castaras
2011-10-16, 02:09 PM
Knitting and facebook are the two things I get sucked into at the moment.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-16, 07:20 PM
Pointless internet arguments. They're not pleasant, nothing ever gets accomplished, they distract from what I'm after in the first place, and they take on a life of there own, but there's just something about people being wrong on the internet.

Then again, perhaps that's just the most annoying time wasting activity I've encountered that I can recall offhand.

This. So much this. :smallsigh:

Also: TV Tropes, Newgrounds, YouTube (watching old film trailers and music videos) and some times reading articles on Wikipedia. (Why do I find synthetic fuels and buna rubber interesting? Or the economics of former colonial empires?)

Lady Moreta
2011-10-16, 10:55 PM

Did you have to mention TV Tropes?

I've now lost count of how many tabs I have open and I'm meant to be hunting up readings for my friends wedding.

If I don't find any, I'm blaming you :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-10-16, 11:13 PM
Knitting and facebook are the two things I get sucked into at the moment.

Great googly moogly your avatar is a scary one today.

But not as scary as this.

Chris-chan wiki. Please don't google it if you value your sanity.

That's... That's just scary.

BlasTech
2011-10-17, 06:35 AM

Seconded. In addition to losing myself on TvTropes, I occasionally frequent the image picking forum to try to help find new page images.

Its a definite way of making TvTropes waste even more of my time than I thought was possible, and has taught me that I hate google images with a passion.

polity4life
2011-10-17, 07:04 AM
I made mailed scale spaulders for the hell of it. I could have learned more about coding, both bolstering what I know of the languages I know and learning new languages altogether, to be more productive at work.

Nope, instead I thought I would try my hand in armor making. The damn shame of it is I want to improve upon what I made this first time around.

Fredaintdead
2011-10-17, 07:15 AM
I spent an hour doing mathematical calculations to see just how overpowered a specific video game character was and easily they can abuse the system in which they were created.

For those who want to know which one:
Akali from League of Legends. 6 Gunblades. Very overpowered.
Conclusion: Gunblades aren't overpowered (although I agree with the decision to make the spellvamp and lifesteal unique), Akali is.

The weirdest part about this is... I don't even play League of Legends.

Choco
2011-10-18, 10:45 AM

QFT right there. The only reason I went was because you get this piece of paper that says you know something, and that piece of paper is required to get a lot of decent jobs these days. The few things I actually learned there I could have more quickly and cheaply learned on my own...

RLivengood
2011-10-18, 03:10 PM
Sometimes I spend an hour or two trying to draw something, but I just can't. I basically end up sitting and doing nothing.