PDA

View Full Version : Making random encounter tables for Sandbox

halfdragon62
2011-10-15, 07:33 PM
I'm soon beginning a sandbox style campaign set in Xen'drik, with the pcs helping to build a settlement and colonize the region (ala Kingmaker). They're starting at first level, and for this reason I've decided that the area where they're starting is generally not inhabited by Xen'drik's more dangerous denizens (for the time being). One thing I'm unsure about is how varied my random encounter tables should be, how large, how many different creatures to include, etc. Does anyone have any advice on making an awesome encounter table?

Dr.Epic
2011-10-15, 07:35 PM
I'm soon beginning a sandbox style campaign set in Xen'drik, with the pcs helping to build a settlement and colonize the region (ala Kingmaker). They're starting at first level, and for this reason I've decided that the area where they're starting is generally not inhabited by Xen'drik's more dangerous denizens (for the time being). One thing I'm unsure about is how varied my random encounter tables should be, how large, how many different creatures to include, etc. Does anyone have any advice on making an awesome encounter table?

Well, if this is one region, I'm not sure how many creatures would inhabit it so this might be small. Then again, the PC would get tired of fighting the same creatures over and over again so I guess either is acceptable.

halfdragon62
2011-10-15, 07:45 PM
Generally, the starting area will be between Stormreach and the first 800 miles inland. Should there perhaps be different zones which vary in average EL?

Kol Korran
2011-10-16, 09:29 AM
Doesn't king maker have different kinds of Terrain in it?

well, i'd suggest for each terrain (which you should have 3-4 at most to begin with i think) you could 7 types of encounters/ creatures (steeping into a mud hole is an encounter) represented by 2d4: 5 being most common, 4and 6 less, and so on. that should be enough i think.

i'm curious as where you're basing this- Xen'dric is teaming with the nasty big and dangerous! it's supposed to be a mix of Australia, Africa and south America. is it a cut off/ secluded area? that might work...

and please, think of the Stirges! :smallbiggrin: (see my compendium link for more info)

halfdragon62
2011-10-16, 02:03 PM
Doesn't king maker have different kinds of Terrain in it?

well, i'd suggest for each terrain (which you should have 3-4 at most to begin with i think) you could 7 types of encounters/ creatures (steeping into a mud hole is an encounter) represented by 2d4: 5 being most common, 4and 6 less, and so on. that should be enough i think.

i'm curious as where you're basing this- Xen'dric is teaming with the nasty big and dangerous! it's supposed to be a mix of Australia, Africa and south America. is it a cut off/ secluded area? that might work...

What I meant was that I would be using a similar campaign concept as Kingmaker, I don't actually have ready access to the rules of kingdom building. As for the location, I've assumed that its relatively nestled (In a valley where some of the nastier creatures don't generally go), or is sheltered by some natural geography. I've decided to use "Last Chance" as the starting point, a tiny thorp mentioned in Secrets of Xen'drik. However, that also means that pirate gangs are able to set themselves up around the place as well, and the dragonmarked houses who are funding the colonization are keen to expand outwards.