PDA

View Full Version : Epic Psion?

hushblade
2011-10-15, 08:39 PM
So my games always go into epic levels with my DM(usually around 30-40), we're starting another games soon and given the mechanics of the psion and epic levels(no manifester progression or power points beyond the 20th) any levels in a prestige class that increases manifester level is kind of wasted beyond the 20th, so I'm a bit at a loss for the build. Would something like psion uncarnate be worth while? should I time taking it after my manifester level is already 20, or time it such that I'll reach 20 by the end of it. Would non-psion specific prestige classes be helpful to an epic psion?

As you can see, I'm at a total loss.

sreservoir
2011-10-15, 08:57 PM
the best class for a psion to go after 20 is probably wilder; wild surge does not specify what class it needs to be used with, so you can wild surge your psion powers. metamind might actually be usable in epic, but do dip wilder (or ardent, or whatever) before entering so you don't waste the progression. thrallherd is fun and stuff if you can spare the feats.

tyckspoon
2011-10-16, 02:03 AM
Actually, with the way psionic augments work you want to keep your ML up- it's much more relevant to you than CL is to a traditional caster in Epic. You aren't hurt as bad by giving up some for other abilities, but you don't want to give it up completely.

hushblade
2011-10-16, 06:52 AM
Something occurs to me. Would a wilder/psion have a manifester level in each class, and thus have power points from both?

Howler Dagger
2011-10-16, 07:07 AM
from the SRD:

If you have levels in more than one psionic class, you combine your power points from each class to make up your reserve. You can use these power points to manifest powers from any psionic class you have.

I believe (i cant find it in the srd) that you keep seperate the powers known for each of your manifesting classes, and use your class level in which you gained it as your manifester level, ie a psion 20/Wilder 10 would have to seperate lists of powers, even though they are drwan from the same list. If they had, say, Genesis from Psion levels, they would have a ML 20 for doing that. When maniffesting mind thrust, frmo wilder levels, the would have a ML of 10. I think, with an intelligence and charisma of 18, they would have a total of 20 (bonus for wilder)+ 88 (wilder 10 base)+40(psion bonus)+343(psion 20 base) for a total of 491 PP.

ML is probably way more important than CL, because it setermiines how much you can augment a power. So epic psion is probably OK. But a PrC that advances psionics would be better since you would still get the class features of the PrC and the ML increase.