PDA

View Full Version : Lulu, a new Metallica album

Triscuitable
2011-10-15, 11:08 PM
You may have not heard, we're getting a new Metallica album. In fact, it's only (from the day of posting) a mere 16 days away.

And yes, Lou Reed is a part of the album. Most fans have had a... less than positive reaction to this "dream-team" that the band has been hyping it up to be. I for one haven't heard much from Lou Reed, so I'll take their word for it that he's capable enough to be the LEAD SINGER. Sheesh, talk about shoes to fill.

The View, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg) the first track to be revealed from Lulu, has been negatively received. I however, have been enjoying it quite a bit. Trust me, stick around for a bit, and the track really accelerates to a new level of quality.

Discuss your thoughts on Lulu. Are you hoping for it to succeed? Do you want to ignore it? Your thoughts are to be thrown around here like wildfire. Jump in it.

Mando Knight
2011-10-15, 11:37 PM
Lou is way too talky. I could see this song working, but if he had a more Metallica-y voice. And if there was a bit less cymbal and more of their classic guitar thrashing like their 80s albums.

It just sounds completely different from, say, ...And Justice For All, but not being familiar with their more recent albums, for all I know that could be standard fare now.

Kindablue
2011-10-15, 11:48 PM
Lou Reed's still alive?! Do other people know this?!

Triscuitable
2011-10-16, 12:23 AM
Lou Reed's still alive?! Do other people know this?!

*Coughs*

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619VGtLZxRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Despite public belief that he is a signer, James Hetfield only runs that job as a cover-up for his true profession, necromancy.

Lou is way too talky. I could see this song working, but if he had a more Metallica-y voice. And if there was a bit less cymbal and more of their classic guitar thrashing like their 80s albums.

It just sounds completely different from, say, ...And Justice For All, but not being familiar with their more recent albums, for all I know that could be standard fare now.

It's an entirely new sound. It actually reminds me of a (far more talkative) Welcome Home-style of song.

Gullintanni
2011-10-17, 01:52 PM
Discuss your thoughts on Lulu. Are you hoping for it to succeed? Do you want to ignore it? Your thoughts are to be thrown around here like wildfire. Jump in it.

I've pretty much penciled Metallica into the "Post-metal, experimental" genre. They seem to have outgrown themselves, and they're now just playing around with any style of music that seems to grant their fancy...with obvious metal overtones.

It's all good really. They'll never be the metal legends that they were circa. Master of Puppets, but they've produced some enjoyable music since then, and on a couple of occasions I've been pleasantly surprised. On one specific occasion, which I refer to lovingly as the "St. Anger" incident, I've been pushed to near heartache...but highs and lows right?

All in all, Metallica, currently, is an experimental metal band that has the potential to hit one out of the park on occasion and collapse under the weight of its own legacy on other occasions. From now until they retire, the wisest strategy, IMHO, is to listen to anything they release without any expectations, and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Or just spin their old records a few more times :smalltongue:

Yora
2011-10-17, 01:56 PM
I was really disapointed by St. Anger and havn't followed anything by Metallica since then.

But The View really is a bad joke. It's the same accords in an endless loop with some guy rambling about something. That's not how you reveal your new big album.

Gullintanni
2011-10-17, 02:00 PM
I was really disapointed by St. Anger and havn't followed anything by Metallica since then.

But The View really is a bad joke. It's the same accords in an endless loop with some guy rambling about something. That's not how you reveal your new big album.

This is pretty where my listening trended to with Metallica. There are a couple of decent songs off of Magnetic. Heard em on the radio, but didn't really give em a dedicated listen. I haven't listened to The View and unless someone recommends it to me there's a 90% chance I'll never hear it.

Especially when I could be listening to MoP. It's just that good an album :smalltongue:

Zen Monkey
2011-10-17, 06:25 PM
I'm reminded of William Shatner's cover 'songs,' where you have to wonder how serious the attempt at making music really is. I got about half way through the youtube clip and had to stop, because I realized I was hearing metal Shatner.

Triscuitable
2011-10-17, 06:47 PM
I'm reminded of William Shatner's cover 'songs,' where you have to wonder how serious the attempt at making music really is. I got about half way through the youtube clip and had to stop, because I realized I was hearing metal Shatner.

Like in the Simpsons.

"Now let's hear William Shatner's version of 'Everybody Hates Ned Flanders!'"
"Everybody... In the U, S, A, hates, their STUPID neighbor. He's the Flanders man. The Flanders, man. Flanders- *radio cutoff*"

thegurullamen
2011-10-17, 06:48 PM

Yes! Thank you, I could not put my finger on it. This is it.

And I agree with Hitler (the Downfall meme--YouTube search it). Metallica is getting pretty ridiculous with these projects of theirs.

Tiki Snakes
2011-10-17, 07:14 PM
It strikes me that they have invoked the Steven King Short-story-clause.

They are really only doing this for their own amusement at this point. If we happen to like the end product is really beside the point.
That said, for a Lou Reed track that isn't his fantastic version of 'The Raven', I didn't mind it at all. It's really more Lou Reed than Metallica, though.

What is it with controversial albums, lately though? We just got through all that fuss (and an equally awesome Downfall Video Rant) about the Opeth album, Heritage.

Triscuitable
2011-10-17, 07:24 PM
It strikes me that they have invoked the Steven King Short-story-clause.

They are really only doing this for their own amusement at this point. If we happen to like the end product is really beside the point.
That said, for a Lou Reed track that isn't his fantastic version of 'The Raven', I didn't mind it at all. It's really more Lou Reed than Metallica, though.

What is it with controversial albums, lately though? We just got through all that fuss (and an equally awesome Downfall Video Rant) about the Opeth album, Heritage.

I'm likely going to listen to these songs from my friend, the one and only Metallica nut of this small Puget Sound community, and then never again. I'll be buying TH1RT3EN when it comes out. The special edition. With Never Dead. (Man that game looks awesome.)