PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Battles

fizzybobnewt
2011-10-16, 11:00 AM
Disclaimer: I know only as much as Wikipedia about this stuff.

Essentially, I want your help designing a very unique sort of "combat system". And I don't think this goes in RPGs, because it's more for a comic than a game.

Breaking is breakdancing, only you're not supposed to call it that.
I'm designing a world where society is based on breaking skills. They have breaking battles, but not like ours. It's not who has cooler moves and all that, it's more analogous to combat battles. Like, there are "attacks" and "defense" and "life points". You don't actually hurt each other, and you don't even sort of magically hurt each other by doing cool moves. It's all determined by the judges.
For example, and this is pretty vague since I haven't made the combat system yet: One breaker does a certain move that initiates an "attack" on her opponent. The better it's executed, the stronger the attack. The judges recognize this and maybe make a note somewhere of how strong, in numbers, they think the attack should be. The opponent may try to "block" it somehow, and the judges will reduce the attack number by how well he blocks, and then depending how well he does may knock off some of his life points from the big counter that the crowd can see. This was a small portion of a battle.

Here's what I've come up with for the system so far:
It, of course, uses the four "elements" of breaking: Top Rock, Floor Rock, Power Moves, and Freezes.*
Your movements need to remain fluid the whole time, and continuing, or you lose life or something like that.
Maybe Power Moves have something to do with attacking and Freezes with defending.

Thoughts?

*Top Rock is the stuff you do standing up, mostly to get in tune with the music when you start out. Except in this world they don't have music, or much sound at all, where they can help it.
Floor Rock is stuff you do with a lot of you touching the floor, usually used as a transition.
Power Moves are very impressive and difficult moves that usually involves spinning.
Freezes are when you freeze in a difficult pose. A subset of Freezes, Suicides, are when you pretend to lose control and fall on your face (or other part). The more painful it seems, the better.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-16, 11:11 AM
This could be done by giving the style certain elements and make one style make another look bad. Imagine, a say, a pokemon-element system, only if you'd ignore all the attacks and HP stuff. Say Power Moves would give more points if the other just used a transition because a power move would be much more impressive then a transition because a transition is much less fancy, but a transition while the other does a freeze would give the transition more points because it's ''smoother'' and can be done with more style.

Are you thinking about something like this?

Perhaps the idea of Top Rock being much more powerfull in the begin of the ''fight'' then in the end, going for more of a quick showdown style then elongated dance show?

Brother Oni
2011-10-16, 11:34 AM
I've ready your post and this immediately springs to mind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFobWUuuFIk).

I believe it's from a movie (I'm not sure which one), but it highlights the flaws in performing overly flashy moves in a combat situation.

fizzybobnewt
2011-10-16, 12:38 PM
Dakota: I as thinking more complex than that, but I like the second idea.

hap_hazard
2011-10-17, 10:57 AM
Dunno how to design stuff. Only can provide some info.

Scoring system for R16 here (http://ourbboys.com/?page_id=10).

Generally no particular "element" is considered stronger than another. For bboy battles some people describe them as "question-and-answer" format, with the first person to go forming a sort of question with his style and moves etc, and his opponent replying.

Example would be A throwing a freeze, and B replying by throwing the same freeze and immediately transitioning into a different freeze, or throwing a more impressive freeze.

Also its not really focused on discrete moves, but on the set as a whole. A person could have a whole bunch of spectacular moves, but if none of them link up well he would probably lose anyway.

Oh and following the music is important. No dance without music and all that.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2hvk3lXNk) video. Example of battle. :smallbiggrin: