PDA

View Full Version : Techno-failure needs computer help

Kobold-Bard
2011-10-16, 04:04 PM
Long story short: Wikipedia isn't working for me, but the rest of the internet is (Facebook is being dodgy, but I don't really care about that). It is working for everyone else it seems.

I've tried resetting my router, resetting everything else & clearing my cache on the orders of other random people I know, all to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions? Not having access to it is driving me a bit mad :smallredface:

Thanks,
K-B

Brother Oni
2011-10-16, 04:09 PM
Is anybody else on the same connection as you having problems connecting to wikipedia? If they are, it may be a connection issue on an intermediate router, which is beyond your control.

Have you tried a different browser? I don't think it's going to be browser related as you've already tried clearing your cache, but it's worth a try.

Kobold-Bard
2011-10-16, 04:14 PM
Is anybody else on the same connection as you having problems connecting to wikipedia? If they are, it may be a connection issue on an intermediate router, which is beyond your control.

Have you tried a different browser? I don't think it's going to be browser related as you've already tried clearing your cache, but it's worth a try.

Single user. And I've tried IE, Firefox, & Chrome all to no avail.

It's nothing urgent or anything, but I've just gotten used to having it there to answer all of lifes questions. It's like being in the dark ages :smallfrown:

Brother Oni
2011-10-16, 04:34 PM
I assume you're using windows, so try going to command prompt and doing a tracert on www.wikipedia.com.

The command will try and find a route to wikipedia and report it back to you - if it hangs on a particular connection then there's your problem.

Kobold-Bard
2011-10-16, 04:41 PM
I assume you're using windows, so try going to command prompt and doing a tracert on www.wikipedia.com.

The command will try and find a route to wikipedia and report it back to you - if it hangs on a particular connection then there's your problem.

Ok, I did that.

I now have no idea what I'm looking at means, but it did it.

Brother Oni
2011-10-16, 04:50 PM
Ok, if the last line says wikipedia-something, then you can connect to wikipedia fine and that a dodgy connection isn't your issue. :smallbiggrin:

You've tried all the obvious browser cache clearing, you've tried different browsers, you've tried force reloading a page in firefox (CTRL-F5, don't know how to do that in Chrome or IE off the top of my head) and there isn't a connection issue either to the internet in general or to wikipedia.

Last thing I can think of is that you've somehow blocked wikipedia in your firewall (either router or software). If that's not the case, then I'm stumped, sorry.