PDA

View Full Version : Building a Pal-Ur-din

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 05:12 PM
hiya everyone, just coming to y'all for help building a character for Kobold's godhood campaign in the PbP section.

concept is a Paladin of a dead god, funding their lost power by borrowing everyone elses (changing spell focus evil to good for the thingy), who's responded to the chance to asscend planing to use the power to revive their god

the campaign is epic, and starts at level 25

my current build idea is spelless paladin 5/crusader 10/urpriest 1/vindicator 9, which gives me some pretty impressive spell-casting power (save a very low caster level, which I'm not sure how to adress), some quite nice support power and all of the clasical paladin elements (both DnD and other paladin)

but I'm wondering not only about feat distribution, and if there's a more efficient way to get the build to work?

thank you for any replies or help

hex0
2011-10-16, 05:25 PM
Why not just Crusader 15 at first?

GernifTheBard
2011-10-16, 05:28 PM
Paladin is how you qualify for RKV.

Hirax
2011-10-16, 05:30 PM
Human paragon1/crusader4/ur-priest2/prestige paladin3/vindicator10 sets you up for either more crusader levels in 21-25, or more vindicator levels. I'd opt for more vindicator levels to get started on your epic feat progression.

RelentlessImp
2011-10-16, 05:32 PM
Faster:

Cleric 1/Crusader 4/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10.

Non-Multiclass-Penalty:

Cleric 2/Crusader 3/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10. Going to 25 are we? Take the feat Southern Magician somewhere along the line and then go ten levels of Dweomerkeeper.

You can keep the flavor of "power of a dead god" alive by a rarely-exercised option (on these boards) of being a "Cleric of an Ideal". Just make your ideal that stealing power from the gods is okay.

...What? He said 'epic level' before I said that.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 05:54 PM

I need turn evil, and the only source of that without divine magic (to my knowledge) is a spell-less paladin

also, where may I find this dweomer keeper?

Coidzor
2011-10-16, 06:09 PM
Hmm, Dragon Mount (Draconomicon, IIRC) and Holy Mount (Dragon 325) are your friends here if you're not grabbing charging smite acf.

skycycle blues
2011-10-16, 06:13 PM
I need turn evil, and the only source of that without divine magic (to my knowledge) is a spell-less paladin

also, where may I find this dweomer keeper?

Is that supposed to be Turn Undead, instead of Turn Evil?

If it is, I would recommend instead of Paladin and Ur-Priest levels just taking levels of Cleric. Cleric 5/Crusader 10/RKV 10. Both builds give you 7th level spells, but Cleric would also grant you domains, which are just great and I think more spells, but I'm not positive on that.

I could understand not having Cleric levels if the DM won't allow it because your God is dead, although I think it would be a better build.

hex0
2011-10-16, 06:19 PM
Cleric/Prestige Paladin is almost always better than Paladin. You could start out as an 'ideal' cleric that doesn't realize he is drawing power from a dead god. I played alongside a Cleric like this and it was fun and flavorful.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 06:24 PM
Is that supposed to be Turn Undead, instead of Turn Evil?

If it is, I would recommend instead of Paladin and Ur-Priest levels just taking levels of Cleric. Cleric 5/Crusader 10/RKV 10. Both builds give you 7th level spells, but Cleric would also grant you domains, which are just great and I think more spells, but I'm not positive on that.

I could understand not having Cleric levels if the DM won't allow it because your God is dead, although I think it would be a better build.

yeah, turn undead, that's the one...

the reason I chose paladin was because I like the basic paladin features, though I suppose they are covered much better by the crusader, since I won't be mounted very often

that'd probably be easier though :smallsmile:

Hirax
2011-10-16, 06:35 PM
Well, whatever you do, 3 levels of prestige paladin gets you more than 5 levels of the paladin base class, so opt for prestige.

hex0
2011-10-16, 06:36 PM
yeah, turn undead, that's the one...

the reason I chose paladin was because I like the basic paladin features, though I suppose they are covered much better by the crusader, since I won't be mounted very often

that'd probably be easier though :smallsmile:

Charging smite instead of mount?

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 06:40 PM
perhaps, perhaps, it would make more sense

I think I'll go down the cleric route though, just because it's a bit more effective, and dosen;t requre any Durpriest

hex0
2011-10-16, 06:44 PM

I think I'll go down the cleric route though, just because it's a bit more effective, and dosen;t requre any Durpriest

Are you allowed to use Prestige Paladin? You'll want to get up to +16 bab before level 21 as epic attack bonus doesn't hand out extra attacks.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 06:52 PM
Are you allowed to use Prestige Paladin? You'll want to get up to +16 bab before level 21 as epic attack bonus doesn't hand out extra attacks.

that prestige class looks pretty good, actualy. I may need to buy a few levels of that, since it gets me what I wanted from paladin with only 2 levels

cleric 4/prestige paladin 2/crusader 9/vindicator 10

looks pretty perfect for what I wanted. got the paladin feel, and all that, without being totally useless like a real paladin

now to just go work on some fluff

Urpriest
2011-10-16, 08:02 PM

This is a downside? :smallfrown:

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 08:19 PM
This is a downside? :smallfrown:

not really, just something about the class bugs me. probably the jackass background to it that everyone who dosen;t play erand boy to a diety is evil :smallannoyed:

pluss I like having a caster level higher than 8 :smalltongue:

hex0
2011-10-16, 08:47 PM
Since he is starting at level 25, it really takes the utility of Urpriest (early 9s) off the table.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 3/Divine Oracle 2/RKV 13/Contemplative 2 would be my choice of course for this character. (or something similar)

skycycle blues
2011-10-16, 09:07 PM
Since he is starting at level 25, it really takes the utility of Urpriest (early 9s) off the table.

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 3/Divine Oracle 2/RKV 13/Contemplative 2 would be my choice of course for this character. (or something similar)

Ho do you take RKV to level 13? As far as I'm aware, there is not epic progression for anything in ToB.

Hirax
2011-10-16, 09:12 PM
Ho do you take RKV to level 13? As far as I'm aware, there is not epic progression for anything in ToB.

By RAW any 10 level prestige class can continue beyond 10th level once you hit level 21. It's up to your DM to determine the epic progression, but a safe rule of thumb is an epic feat every 3 levels.

hex0
2011-10-16, 09:19 PM
By RAW any 10 level prestige class can continue beyond 10th level once you hit level 21. It's up to your DM to determine the epic progression, but a safe rule of thumb is an epic feat every 3 levels.

Except the monk is SO OVERPOWERED that they have to take a bonus feat every FIVE levels! Epic wizard isn't as powerful so they get one every three levels to make up for it.... :smallwink:

But yeah, every 3 is fine for RKV.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-16, 10:04 PM
you GET epic monks? I thought they where some kind of myth :smallconfused: y'know, that little "at least you're not a..." they tell to fighters and the like to make them feel better

Just wondering, would continuing RKV to epic levels still advance casting/manouvers?

hex0
2011-10-16, 10:34 PM
It is up to your DM decide about the epic progression.

There arent any epic TOB maneuvers/progressions officially afaik...

Tokuhara
2011-10-17, 06:35 AM
Now, I love this idea. What would happen to the Paladins of Heironius if Hexor killed him? This:

Crusader 6/Ur Priest 1/Vindicator 10/Prestige Paladin (Alignment to fit Flavour) 2/Contemplative 1

ThiefInTheNight
2011-10-17, 11:16 AM
Need at least Ur-Priest 2, IIRC, to get Turn Undead. Which isn't a problem since Crusader 5/Ur-Priest 2 is rather similar anyway.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-17, 12:02 PM
not quite, prestige paladin gets it at level 1

thinking of going skylord (BoED) rather than prestige pala 2, both of them net me the same basic bonus, save skylord gets me a celestial pegasus instead of a warhorse :smallamused:

Gullintanni
2011-10-17, 01:38 PM
not quite, prestige paladin gets it at level 1

thinking of going skylord (BoED) rather than prestige pala 2, both of them net me the same basic bonus, save skylord gets me a celestial pegasus instead of a warhorse :smallamused:

Prestige Paladin also requires that your character can turn undead to qualify so I don't think that works anyway. :smallfrown: