PDA

View Full Version : Dark heresy: Insanity and Experience

Beelzebub1111
2011-10-16, 06:23 PM
In the core rulebook it says that you can regain sanity by spending XP (100 per point) does that count towards XP spent in gaining ranks? or does that XP just "vanish"?

The Glyphstone
2011-10-16, 07:15 PM
Pretty sure it vanishes. Only XP spent on advances and characteristic increases count towards ranking up.

king.com
2011-10-16, 11:08 PM
In the core rulebook it says that you can regain sanity by spending XP (100 per point) does that count towards XP spent in gaining ranks? or does that XP just "vanish"?

I've always run that as xp spent like everything else (except for running the free starting xp at character creation).

Luckmann
2011-10-29, 12:11 PM
Well, it's spent XP, so it goes in the spent XP part of the sheet, which means to me that it counts towards your rank.

That said, I don't like that as a mechanic. I'd see if there's a way to just make it disappear, because it just doesn't make sense to me that time and experience spent to cure your own mental illnesses is time and experience that you simply haven't spent in your line of career-ing.

king.com
2011-10-29, 09:24 PM
Well, it's spent XP, so it goes in the spent XP part of the sheet, which means to me that it counts towards your rank.

That said, I don't like that as a mechanic. I'd see if there's a way to just make it disappear, because it just doesn't make sense to me that time and experience spent to cure your own mental illnesses is time and experience that you simply haven't spent in your line of career-ing.

I see it more as your mind and body is fundamentally damaged as a result of your experiences, to limit this damage you need to spend some of your subsequent experiences undergoing tasks which do not cause this kind of damage, effectively going on holiday.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-29, 09:45 PM
I always saw it as having those traumatic experiences literally carved out of you, via lobotomy/shock therapy/drugs/whatever. Permanently gone, which is why the XP didn't count towards ranking up...but at least you didn't have the insanity anymore.

king.com
2011-10-29, 09:48 PM
I always saw it as having those traumatic experiences literally carved out of you, via lobotomy/shock therapy/drugs/whatever. Permanently gone, which is why the XP didn't count towards ranking up...but at least you didn't have the insanity anymore.

As I said, holiday....

Luckmann
2011-10-30, 09:05 AM
So, yes, I agree and would houserule that you Burn experience to cure insanity; You don't Spend it.

But by RAW, I still say that it counts as spent. Even though it makes no sense to me (which is why I say just houserule it).

comicshorse
2011-10-30, 10:07 AM

Seems like just the kind of thing the Imperium would do to their noble defenders.

"Right, stick in the laser probe and lets erase his last few months ."
" But Sir that will also erase the memory of meeting and falling in love with the love of his life. "
" And ?"
" Yes sir, brain burning right away "

Interesting plot possbilities to, as the group could be hunted by enemies seeking revenge for events they can't remember anymore.

Luckmann
2011-10-30, 10:40 AM
Seems like just the kind of thing the Imperium would do to their noble defenders.

" But Sir that will also erase the memory of meeting and falling in love with the love of his life. "
" And ?"

Interesting plot possbilities to, as the group could be hunted by enemies seeking revenge for events they can't remember anymore.I want to chime in here and clarify that that doesn't just seem like just the kind of thing the Imperium would do; They totally do.

Absolutely everyone that becomes a Grey Knight is mind-cleansed and their entire support staff gets mind-cleansed regularly, with at least part of their experiences wiped entirely clean. There's even the Mind-Cleansed homeworld option in one of the Dark Heresy supplements.

So yeah, brain-burning indeed.

Yuki Akuma
2011-10-30, 11:53 AM

" And ?"

Interesting plot possbilities to, as the group could be hunted by enemies seeking revenge for events they can't remember anymore.

Inquisitor's Handbook. There's an entire origin for that. Although it's less "the last few months" and more "absolutely everything, plus here's some skills and programmed trigger-phrases".