PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Clarification on Durations (3.X)

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-16, 07:50 PM
I need a bit of help figuring something out. Does Instantaneous duration mean that the effect itself happens, then is done, but what the effect resulted in remains?

Siosilvar
2011-10-16, 07:51 PM
I need a bit of help figuring something out. Does Instantaneous duration mean that the effect itself happens, then is done, but what the effect resulted in remains?

Generally, yes.

Wall of Stone, Wall of Iron, Fabricate, etc. wouldn't work otherwise.

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-16, 07:58 PM
In that case, psychic warriors should never actually learn Psionic Lion's Charge. It has an instantaneous duration.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-16, 08:08 PM
In that case, psychic warriors should never actually learn Psionic Lion's Charge. It has an instantaneous duration.

And then trade it away at the next opportunity since it only needs to be manifested once. Dang, thats a tier 1 mess up there.

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-16, 08:13 PM
Also, this technically means that anyone can gain pounce without dips, because a one-use item of a 2nd level power is, if my numbers are right, not that expensive. Pounce for EVERYONE!

dextercorvia
2011-10-16, 08:20 PM
There are a couple of other spells out there with similar difficulties. One of them grants you a gaze attack. There is another that changes your breath weapon so that it also stuns. That one is Stunning Breath in SpC.

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-16, 08:23 PM
I was pointing out Psionic Lion's Charge mainly due to all the love for pounce. Also, one advantage of instantaneous duration buffs is no dispelling. It happens, then it's permanent. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2011-10-16, 08:24 PM
It's worded poorly, but I'm pretty sure the intention behind Psionic Lion's Charge was that you'd manifest it as a swift action and then it would fade after a single charge. Now, that obviously doesn't stop you from manifesting it forever in advance, and I don't think there's anything that truly says it fades after being used in a charge, but I really think that's what was supposed to happen. Not that that really changes anything.

DaragosKitsune
2011-10-16, 08:26 PM
I get that it was probably intended that way, but it wasn't written that way. Thus the age old debate of RAW vs. RAI.

Zaq
2011-10-16, 08:34 PM
Yup. This is an old trick, but congrats on discovering it on your own.

It gets even better with Soul Crystal (MoI), since ANYONE can use the power in the crystal you create, no manifesting ability or UPD required. You could, with enough time, give your entire party Pounce . . . or with a much longer time, even an entire army! Sure, you'd have to burn a feat on Expanded Knowledge to get PLC, but that's a small price to pay, especially if you know Psionic Reformation.