PDA

View Full Version : Lifeleech (3.5 class in progress)

Jallorn
2011-10-16, 08:58 PM
Alright, before you take a look at the class I have a few things to say: First, this is not a complete class, second, I don't plan on taking it past eighth level for a long while, since it's for a player for an E8 game, third, I'm not overly concerned with balance just yet, I'll be seeing it in action, and will be able to adjust it as we go.

Now, what I'm looking for are invocation ideas, specifically invocations that will function as utility abilities like some of the Warlock's invocations.

The class fluff is that of a character with a well of negative energy inside them that feeds off of life energy, and endows them with the ability to drain other people's life force.
~~~~~
Lifeleech
HD: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref Will|Special|Invocations Known
1|0|2|0|2|Life Drain 1d4, Invocation (Least)|1
2|1|3|0|3|Deathwatch|2
3|2|3|1|3|Life Drain 2d4, Fear Aura|2
4|3|4|1|4|Life Rhythms|3
5|3|4|1|4|Life Drain 3d4|3
6|4|5|2|5|New Invocation (Least or Lesser)|4
7|5|5|2|5|Life Drain 4d4, Corrupted Fear Aura|4
8|6|6|2|6|Draining Maelstrom|5[/table]

Life Drain: The Lifeleech has not only an innate ability to drain life force, but a physical need. As a standard action, the Lifeleech may make a 60 foot ranged touch attack against a single target. This attack does 1d4 damage at first level, and gives the Lifeleech a number of temporary hit points equal to one half the damage dealt this way, rounded down. Alternately, the Lifeleech can make a melee touch attack to do 1d6 damage at first level, gaining half the damage dealt as temporary hit points. This damage increases to 2d4 and 2d6 at level three, and continues to increase at this rate. Life Drain cannot be used on Undead or Constructs. Life Drain is subject to spell resistance and cannot be used in an AMF. The temporary hit points gained from Life Drain go away at the end of the encounter.

Deathwatch: At second level, a Life Leech can use the spell Deathwatch at will as a spell-like ability.

Fear Aura: At third level, a Life Leech can radiate a five foot radius fear aura as a free action. Enemies in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC 10+Wis modifier) or become Shaken. A creature who successfully saves cannot be affected by that Life Leech’s fear aura for 24 hours. This state lasts until the end of the encounter, or until the Life Leech is unconscious.

Life Rhythms: At fourth level, the Life Leech learns to read the rhythms of peoples’ life essences, giving him an advantage in interpersonal interactions. The Life Leech gets a bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive equal to ½ their character level.

Corrupted Fear Aura: At seventh level, the Life Leech’s very presence has been corrupted by the well of negative energy contained in their body, and they simply feel unnatural. The Fear Aura’s DC increases to 10+1/2 their class level+their Wis modifier.

Draining Maelstrom: Twice per day, but only once per encounter, a Lifeleech may radiate a draining aura as a full round action. Every round for five rounds, all creatures within a 15 foot radius of the Lifeleech takes 1d6 points of negative energy damage, and the Lifeleech gains a number of hit points equal to the number of creatures damaged this way. Undead and Constructs are not affected by this ability.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-16, 09:01 PM
Fear Aura needs a duration. (How long are they shaken for?)

Jallorn
2011-10-17, 07:26 AM
Fear Aura needs a duration. (How long are they shaken for?)

I basically just copied the Dread Necromancer Fear Aura, and that doesn't have a duration... I'll have to do some more research into fear effects, which I don't have time for at the moment.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 12:00 PM
I basically just copied the Dread Necromancer Fear Aura, and that doesn't have a duration... I'll have to do some more research into fear effects, which I don't have time for at the moment.

I figured as much. Heroes of Horror was poorly edited and never errata'd. Well, we'll wait for your update then.

Jallorn
2011-10-17, 12:48 PM
Alright, fixed.