PDA

View Full Version : Need a deity of magic, time, and preferably death/undeath

faceroll
2011-10-16, 11:29 PM
I am re-working rainbow servant to grant (IMO) the best domains and be available to non-good and chaotic creatures.

Domains of the deity that I want are magic/spell (equivalent in CC), and the time domain. Undeath or death would be thematic, as the character taking levels in it is a necropolitan.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-16, 11:37 PM
published and/or homebrew?

Wee Jas has Magic and Death.

gbprime
2011-10-16, 11:46 PM
Yeah, there's no published deity that I'm aware of with Death, Magic, AND Time. Time domain came at a later... time... and wasn't as widely used as the others.

As stated, Wee Jas gets 2 out of 3.

faceroll
2011-10-16, 11:52 PM
I'd rather have time & magic. death/undeath is just gravy. Time gets me haste, time stop, and foresight. Those are so awesome. Improved init also quite good.

And published deities, please.

I thought there was a dragon deity out there that had both, but no dice.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-10-16, 11:56 PM
Rainbow Servant is based on Couatls, which are not deities. The built-in adaptation suggests it be rethemed around a different native outsider, giving Rakshasas as an example, again not a deity. You don't need to find a deity to base an adaptation on, just a thematically appropriate monster.

The Ak'chazar Rakshasa in MM3 would work for Magic and Undeath, but I'm not sure if Time would be fitting. Maybe make up a specific cabal of Ak'chazars with ideals and philosophies that would fit with the Time domain as well as whatever else you'd want to pick.

Tokuhara
2011-10-17, 12:14 AM
My thought:

Take your three favorite gods who would have something in common (racial, fmr. occupation, hair color, boot size) and build a "personal pantheon" you cling to. IIRC, if you worship a pantheon (polytheistic), then you can choose any of their offered domains

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-17, 01:13 AM
Are there any outsiders with a magic and time schtick? I guess you could adapt Time Lords into D and D. Rainbow Servant of Dr. Who.

Zagaroth
2011-10-17, 01:40 AM
Are there any outsiders with a magic and time schtick? I guess you could adapt Time Lords into D and D. Rainbow Servant of Dr. Who.

... I, I may need to sig this. Yes, I need to sig this.

Alleran
2011-10-17, 03:40 AM
I am re-working rainbow servant to grant (IMO) the best domains and be available to non-good and chaotic creatures.

Domains of the deity that I want are magic/spell (equivalent in CC), and the time domain. Undeath or death would be thematic, as the character taking levels in it is a necropolitan.
Taiia has Magic in the Creator aspect and Death in the Destroyer aspect, for another 2/3 result (if you don't want to go with Wee Jas).

She doesn't have Time, though. At a quick search, the only deities who seem to have it are Amaunator, Labelas Enoreth, Cyndor and Grumbar. And none of them have the Magic or Death domain.

Morph Bark
2011-10-17, 03:58 AM
I'd rather have time & magic. death/undeath is just gravy. Time gets me haste, time stop, and foresight. Those are so awesome. Improved init also quite good.

Wait, it gets TWO level 9 spells and ISN'T a planar domain?! WHAT.

Alleran
2011-10-17, 04:01 AM
Foresight is given as an 8th level spell in the domain, I believe.

faceroll
2011-10-17, 04:12 AM

Time domain is tits.

Yora
2011-10-17, 05:12 AM
There is an elven god with the Time domain in Forgotten Realms, and I think he's also responsible for long life.

Feytalist
2011-10-17, 05:17 AM
Labelas Enoreth, as has been mentioned. He has the Chaos, Elf, Good, Knowledge, Time and Patience domains.

Yora
2011-10-17, 05:40 AM
Does it really matter? If deities from any setting can be used, just make up your own deity.

Darrin
2011-10-17, 06:48 AM
I thought there was a dragon deity out there that had both, but no dice.

Chronepsis has Time, Death, and Planning, but no Magic (Races of the Dragon).

Time domain appeared so late that the deities that should have it just don't (Odin, for example). Best I can come up with for Magic + Time is Khoronus (Mystara), but I can't find any official WotC sources that mention him in the 3.x era.

Tokuhara
2011-10-17, 06:51 AM
Chronepsis has Time, Death, and Planning, but no Magic (Races of the Dragon).

Time domain appeared so late that the deities that should have it just don't (Odin, for example). Best I can come up with for Magic + Time is Khoronus (Mystara), but I can't find any official WotC sources that mention him in the 3.x era.

Worship a Dragon Pantheon. Problem solved. You get more casting potential from a full pantheon vs. being "I worship only "X""

Alleran
2011-10-17, 06:55 AM
I'm actually a bit surprised that there isn't a single god out there with Time and Magic. In FR there's Mystra, who watches over the Time portfolio/domain, but she doesn't actually have it. FR deities can be odd like that - Kelemvor doesn't seem to have the Death domain in F&P, for example (Fate, Law, Protection, Repose, Travel), despite being the death god for the setting.

Feytalist
2011-10-17, 07:18 AM
Repose was fluffed to be the "Good-aligned" Death domain. Mostly because Death has deathwatch on its list, which for some reason has the evil descriptor. Death seems kinda morally ambivalent as a domain to me, and seeing as Kelemvor is most definitely not evil, I guess it kinda fits.