PDA

View Full Version : Is there a flail-like weapon with reach?

gallagher
2011-10-17, 12:33 AM
i would like to know if there is a flail-like weapon with reach. while i know i could probably homebrew one, i would rather avoid that.

Zaq
2011-10-17, 12:38 AM
Define "flail-like." Spiked chains are pretty flail-like, if you ask me. Hell, in 4e, they're part of the [flail] weapon group.

deuxhero
2011-10-17, 12:38 AM
Spiked Chain.

There's also a weapon I can't spell in the DMG alternate setting suggestions for eastern weapons.

Ksheep
2011-10-17, 12:44 AM
Spiked Chain.

There's also a weapon I can't spell in the DMG alternate setting suggestions for eastern weapons.

Would you be referring to the kusari-gama? Basically a sickle with a long weighted chain on the other end. In the DMG, pg. 145.

Also, I agree with the "define flail-like" and "spiked chain" responses.

Bloodgruve
2011-10-17, 09:30 AM
Spiked Chain is great. You have to burn a feat on it because it is an exotic weapon but I feel it is worth it for a melee character.

It has reach 10' but can be used on adjacent enemies.
Trip.
Finesse-able
2h which gives you 1.5x strength bonus to damage. (I've played it this way but I'm not sure if you can add this to a finesse-able weapon for some reason)

Throw improved trip and get enlarged somehow and you have a fun build ;)

Sorry if this strays from the topic slightly, I'm a fan of the spiked chain in 3.5

GL
Blood~

gallagher
2011-10-17, 09:42 AM
yeah, i know the spike chain is great, and that it can be refluffed to look like a flail with reach, but i was really hoping for the look.

no problem though

Bloodgruve
2011-10-17, 10:39 AM
Talk to Simon Belmont, I think he has some flails with reach and vampire bane or something ;)

GL
Blood~

Keld Denar
2011-10-17, 11:52 AM
Given that the Spiked Chain depicted in the PHB is redonkulous looking, and a real practical Spiked Chain would be a lot more flail-like, I think you are fine working with that.

ThiefInTheNight
2011-10-17, 11:59 AM
Yeah, a Spiked Chain that actually works would require it to be more like a flail.

Also, there's a Meteor Hammer somewhere which is basically what you're looking for (think what Gogo used in Kill Bill: Vol. 1), which has the same stats as a Spiked Chain except it deals Bludgeoning damage; say you have a spiked one and it deals Bludgeoning/Piercing damage. Say you have Gogo's razor blade thing, and now it deals Bludgeoning/Slashing damage. Put spikes on that, and it does Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing damage, which is rather nice.

Elric VIII
2011-10-17, 12:14 PM
yeah, i know the spike chain is great, and that it can be refluffed to look like a flail with reach, but i was really hoping for the look.

no problem though

OA has a weapon called, simply, "Chain." It is a chain with a weight on either end, an therefore deals bludgeoning damage. It can either be used as a reach weapon or a double weapon. The only thing is, it is slightly weaker than a Spiked Chain, dealing only 1d6 damage.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-17, 03:03 PM
There's also the spinning sword from Secrets of Sarlona. A 1-hand finessable weapon with reach.

Think of the final sword of Sword Hunter Cho from Rurouni Kenshin, or the sword of Renji Abarai from Bleach.
But... I think you're going more for a bludgeoning flail than a bendy/whippy sword.

Keld Denar
2011-10-17, 03:12 PM
The Spinning Sword always had more of an Ivy from Soul Calibre feel to it, for me.

graeylin
2011-10-17, 05:15 PM
isn't a footman's flail a pole arm, and thus, have reach?

6 to 8 to 12 foot staff, with a chain and heavy rod on the end of it.

Spiryt
2011-10-17, 05:23 PM
isn't a footman's flail a pole arm, and thus, have reach?

6 to 8 to 12 foot staff, with a chain and heavy rod on the end of it.

Well, that's how it generally worked, even if from the fact that having the haft visibly longer than wielder, with relatively short chain made the weapon much, much safer for said wielder.

The 12 feet is probably exaggeration though, that wouldn't work much.

http://husyci.w.interia.pl/pliki/husy59.jpg

However, in D&D flails doesn't have 'reach' at all, by stats.

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-17, 05:30 PM
The Spinning Sword always had more of an Ivy from Soul Calibre feel to it, for me.

Except that it's actually a metal cat o' nine tails-looking thing.