PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Caster Levels?

sabelo2000
2011-10-17, 05:05 AM
So, my party recently found a magic artifact that I haven't entirely statted out yet. It boosts any caster's level, but I want it to also temporarily allow them access to higher spell levels, at a price to be paid back later. I guess I kind of want it to give an advance loan on higher-level spells, because I know that some of the encounters I have planned would be GREAT with some 8-9th level spells available but I don't want to scale it all the way down to their 6th level capacity.

Any ideas on how I could do this? What sort of price should be paid for a 12th-level caster to access an 8th or 9th level spell? Obviously, it should be high enough that they won't go around doing it all the time. My first instinct is that accessing a higher-level spell through the artifact permanently deletes a spell slot from the character.

Darth_Versity
2011-10-17, 05:15 AM
How about something that will reduce their effectiveness. CON damage equal to the level of the spell is good, but can be easily removed by a cleric at those levels. It would limit them to only 1 or 2 spells per encounter though.

Another one would be to reduce their caster level by a number equal to the spell level for 24 hours. This penalty stacks and if the caster level is reduced to 0 then they are are no longer able to cast spells till their caster level goes back.

That would allow the wizard to cast a really powerful 9th level spell, but then he has dropped to CL 3. He can still cast his 6th spells, but all effects that are based on CL are at CL 3. If he then does it again to cast an 8th level spell his CL drops to -5. He can now no longer cast any spells, or use any magic items such as wands that require you to be a caster.

faceroll
2011-10-17, 05:19 AM
Ability burn is non-healable ability damage from XPH. It can only come back through natural healing. Have them take ability burn to their mental stats equal to level of spell they use item to cast minus the highest level spell they can cast. So if they use a 9th level spell but can only cast 6th level spells, they take 3 burn to int, wis, and cha. Make sure you enforce the "need 19 int/wis/cha" rule to cast 9th level spells.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-17, 09:37 AM
How about something that will reduce their effectiveness. CON damage equal to the level of the spell is good, but can be easily removed by a cleric at those levels. It would limit them to only 1 or 2 spells per encounter though.

Another one would be to reduce their caster level by a number equal to the spell level for 24 hours. This penalty stacks and if the caster level is reduced to 0 then they are are no longer able to cast spells till their caster level goes back.

That would allow the wizard to cast a really powerful 9th level spell, but then he has dropped to CL 3. He can still cast his 6th spells, but all effects that are based on CL are at CL 3. If he then does it again to cast an 8th level spell his CL drops to -5. He can now no longer cast any spells, or use any magic items such as wands that require you to be a caster.

A caster needs the minimum CL to cast a given level of spells. Prepared casters need (Spell Levelx2-1) CL in order to cast a given spell level.

Ability burn is non-healable ability damage from XPH. It can only come back through natural healing. Have them take ability burn to their mental stats equal to level of spell they use item to cast minus the highest level spell they can cast. So if they use a 9th level spell but can only cast 6th level spells, they take 3 burn to int, wis, and cha. Make sure you enforce the "need 19 int/wis/cha" rule to cast 9th level spells.

Possibly combine this with Darth_Versity and have CL hit equal to borrowed Spell Level-Highest Spell Level naturally possible AND ability burn. Then, not only do your DC's start to hurt, they won't be able to burn through several high level spells before dropping your casting stat too low, as their CL will drop like a rock. At this level, a caster's casting stat should be in in the low to mid 20s.

Darth_Versity
2011-10-17, 10:01 AM
A caster needs the minimum CL to cast a given level of spells. Prepared casters need (Spell Levelx2-1) CL in order to cast a given spell level.

That is the general rule yes, but as we all know, specific beats general. If he says that is how the item works in this particular case, then that is how it works. Its already a custom magic item so using a custom rule for it is no problem.

Its no different to the Precocious Apprentice feat, it specifically allows you cast a spell your CL cannot meet the requirements for.

sabelo2000
2011-10-18, 12:37 AM
Both good ideas, I'll look into that!