PDA

View Full Version : PF Summoner, Human Subordination?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-17, 09:55 AM
So this has been an idea that I first discovered through a manga (Fairy Tail) where a person (Capricorn/Zoldeo) used what was called "Human Subordination Magic" http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Subordination

Basically a Summoner who specializes in Humans, now the question I'm wondering (which is more of a spell development in actuality I suppose) Is how would you determine the levels/HD of a human summoned through what would be the varying levels of "Summon Human/Hero 1-9 (I-IX)" The Eidolon would stay much the same with the evolutions being used to develop a more human -like form but the summon spell would be different. (I wouldn't classify this as Homebrew)

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-17, 04:31 PM
Six Hour Bump, and Update.

Summon Hero I
Level: Summoner 1, Bard 1, Others? 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Round
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect: One Summoned Creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a Hero. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of it's abilities. If you can communicate with the hero, by sharing a language, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform some other action.

A summoned Hero cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature or Hero, nor can they use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Heroes cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

Heroes.
Spell level x2 −1 = CR of Hero (Minimum 1)
So ex. Summon Hero IX (9) nets 1 CR 17 Hero or 1d3 CR 15 Heroes, or 1d4+1 CR 13 (or lower) Heroes.
Other than that the Heroes you use are up to you.

Subsequent Spell (2) (3+) Levels change the following:
Lv 2
Level: Summoner 2, Bard 2, Others? 2
Effect: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft Apart.
Text:
This spell functions like Summon Hero I, except you can summon one 2nd-level Hero or 1d3 1st level Heroes.

Lv=n
Level: Summoner n, Bard n, Others? n
Effect: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft Apart.
Text:
This spell functions like Summon Hero n-1, except you can summon one n-level Hero or 1d3 n-1 level Heroes, or 1d4+1 n-2 level Heroes.

Sound decent?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-18, 06:26 AM
Last Desperate Bump for some kind of advice, comment, concerns, criticisms?

GoatBoy
2011-10-18, 06:35 AM
Just make sure you give exact stats for the hero you summon. Otherwise you'll have casters rolling up new characters three times a day, with the exact stats they need for the situation at hand.

Also, considering that summon monster IX gives you a creature with a CR of 13-ish, the level of the character summoned should be comparable, if not lower. After all, PC classes are far more specialized than the monsters on the summoning list tend to be, so you'd have a spell which was that much more potent, since you could pick what kind of hero you summon.

That is, assuming there are no restrictions on what kind of class you summon.

Are you summoning a specific person, or just an "image" of someone which vanishes when the spell ends? Do they possess the whole knowledge of the hero in question?

But this is an interesting concept. I'm surprised no one else has brought it up, since there's a magic item (horn of Valhalla or something) which does essentially the same thing.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-10-18, 07:53 AM
Players handbook 2 has the luminous assassin spell, which is basically a summon low level rogue spell.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-19, 05:00 PM
Just make sure you give exact stats for the hero you summon. Otherwise you'll have casters rolling up new characters three times a day, with the exact stats they need for the situation at hand.

Also, considering that summon monster IX gives you a creature with a CR of 13-ish, the level of the character summoned should be comparable, if not lower. After all, PC classes are far more specialized than the monsters on the summoning list tend to be, so you'd have a spell which was that much more potent, since you could pick what kind of hero you summon.

That is, assuming there are no restrictions on what kind of class you summon.

Are you summoning a specific person, or just an "image" of someone which vanishes when the spell ends? Do they possess the whole knowledge of the hero in question?

But this is an interesting concept. I'm surprised no one else has brought it up, since there's a magic item (horn of Valhalla or something) which does essentially the same thing.

It is more powerful I do agree about that, but I wanted to make sure that it had some oomph, a summoned lv17 fighter can be a big help to a group but as far as I have set only a Summoner can reach that high, A Lv 20 Bard could only summon a Lv 11 Hero . I choose it because it works nicely because I wasn't sure how one could summon up half a CR of a Hero.

I was thinking about making a list, but didn't want to limit choices too much (that and creating a different hero for each level would be very time consuming) My vote as the creator is each group that uses this (if they do) should decide upon the hero's that can be summoned themselves. And it always vanishes when the spell ends, Just like all of the other "Summons X's"
Also Horn of Valhalla? in DnD terms I do not know of it.

Players handbook 2 has the luminous assassin spell, which is basically a summon low level rogue spell.

Yes, but I wanted something with more oomph. Something like the Human Subordination Magic mentioned earlier, or something like Impure World Resurrection.

Curious
2011-10-19, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I would just refluff your Eidolon. Choose bipedal form, don't go large.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-10-21, 04:49 PM
Honestly, I would just refluff your Eidolon. Choose bipedal form, don't go large.

Large? I was just gonna use the Bipedal Eidolon.

Curious
2011-10-21, 05:50 PM
Large? I was just gonna use the Bipedal Eidolon.

Like I said, don't go large.