PDA

View Full Version : From Dust - Tale of the Worldbender

Gaius Marius
2011-10-17, 10:19 AM
I downloaded (through steam) this game yesterday and have to admit it's fascinating. Oh, the gameplay is almost infantile in basic nature, but so masterly intricated in its application.

You play the god-protector of a primitive tribal and you have to shape the land around them to give them access to new tribe locations and new technologies/spells. But the way you have to achieve this is by moving earth and water, diverting water sources, using magma to out rock...

There is a bonus objective in all maps where you gain a Challenge map if you succeed at spreading the vegetation far and many. In order to do that, you have to terraform the map, and beware of accidental consequences.

My best moment of fun yet was both a great achievement for me and the mistake which almost ruined my entire map. In the first map you access Lava, there is a massive waterfall cutting the map in two. Usually, you have to use your newly acquired "split the sea a la Moses" to allow your triblesmen to pass, but I was up to a challenge. I built with rock a diverting flow alongside the volcano, and then diverted the stream there. With judicious use of water draining, I had an immense dried valley to vegetate, and tribal movement was no longer a problem.

I was ready to go to the next level when I got curious about lava movement. I blocked the volcano's lava path so it would flow in the river around it, rather than safely at sea. Oooh boy.. The lava overflowed the river, which diverted into the valley, flooding it. The excess lava kept going and set fire to the over-sea vegetation, creating a fire that destroyed almost all of my villages.

I just sighed and clicked "Next level". Who cares about them? That was fun!

I heard the game gets repetitive after a while. I sure hope they allow downloadable fan-made maps and challenges. Also, I think this game would gain a lot if the villagers could be.. More complex. Like if they developed hunting, etc...

Ender Wigin
2011-10-18, 01:04 PM
Do you know a link to a website about the game or another way of playing it besides through steam? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything, so I'm a little wary of how good this game really is. Not to mention me and steam don't get along very well...

Sipex
2011-10-18, 01:12 PM
It's available via download in the xbox marketplace if you're into that.

I'm on the first level where you get lava and I had the problem that I didn't watch the magma flow from the beginning. If you don't divert it manually it eventually flows across the river (causing flooding like you would've believe) and burns the first village up!

From what I've seen however the game just gets more complex as you go further, my wife is dealing with fire and water trees which have different effects, crazy.

pffh
2011-10-18, 01:34 PM
Itīs fun for a while then it gets meh. I agree that the villagers (and the villages) should be more complex and I would have like to be able to interact more with them. Also rival villages that would have been awesome.

Basically what I wanted from this game was more populus less tech demo.

Gaius Marius
2011-10-18, 02:28 PM
I agree the complexity eventually tires you out, but that's when I fire up something else. I'll get back to the game later on.

Sometimes, you simply are overwhelmed by something you just don't understand, and might despair into trying to save the situation. Just one thing to say: relax and think things through. Map 1 with water and Fire trees really saw me panic at the final stage (rising tide flooding the entire middle map), until I managed to finally come trough and understand the careful steps needed to solve my conundrum.

Best suggestion I can give: unless there is a clock ticking, don't try to rush yourself. Be careful, and consider the consequences of your actions. This is a God Game, not Dawn of War.

For 15$, I say I had my money's worth. I hope they will make expansion with more intricated gameplay requirements. More tribesmen interaction, maybe.

The Memories of the Tribe are awfully dull.

The Orange Zergling
2011-10-18, 02:53 PM
I loved this game, personally. It was a glorified tech demo, sure, but oh my is the tech awesome. Unfortunately, it's the sort of game that lacks replay value and desperately needs a map editor and community. I'd definitely like to see a sequel or follow-up or expansion or something with more scenarios, more types of objects to interact with and mix things up and an actual editor. The last map doesn't count.

Zen Master
2011-10-19, 04:57 PM
I played, and completed, From Dust.

Now, really. They need to take that - and transform it into Populous. The first one. Just make the exact same game at the original Populous, only with a 2011 graphics and physics engine.

Other than not being Populous, From Dust is fine.