PDA

View Full Version : [city of heroes]What class should I go villain-side?

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-17, 11:58 AM
As the title asks. One of my friends is going as a stalker in city of heroes and I am going to be playing with him. My other friend is joining us as a brute(or some other "tough/tank" class) to provide us with some meat and since mastermind is out(Premium members don't get it) I am stumped on the touch choice between using a Dominator(Control primary and damage secondary) or a Corrupter(Damage Primary and buff/debuff secondary.). Both could support the team in one way or another, but for this group I am not sure which would be better. We have DPS covered with our stalker so I was at first leaning towards dominator to make enemies easier for my allies to take down while being able to add to the dps myself. However, a corrupter, despite being a primary dps class can provide a healthy helping of team support and it's built-in power leads it's blasting to be more vulture-esc in nature. Your best DPS comes when foes are already damaged, which my team will be doing a bit of.

Thus, I am stuck, which class would be better for this team? Secondly, which class is friendlier on somebody who is slow at the controls, as I have not the best hand-eye coordination on earth and while I can configure controls to mitigate this issue somewhat I would want to know what out of those two classes would be friendlier on somebody not too great with the physical/motor/hand-eye part of gaming in general?

goose1009
2011-10-17, 02:07 PM
Fire/Dark corruptors are great, bring damn good DPS and you will help keep your brute friend up with the heal and the -to hit debuff. It also depends on what types of brute/stalker they are going to be, some need more healing than others. If they are playing very self sufficient secondaries then you could forgo the corupptor all together and stick with a Dominator. Really up to a playstyle, but you three will have some small issues if you dont have a support powerset (heals/debuffs/buffs) during the EB's and AV's you may or may not be fighting.

Im not a fan of Pain, a little too much pure healing, i think dark is a nice powerset across the board. I also love FF, but they can get in trouble some times against certain enemy types.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-17, 02:14 PM
How about Dark/Dark? While Dark may not be as damaging as fire I do love it's fluff and Dark Blast -Ac combined with Dark Miasma's -Ac can be pretty nice. I also just like the idea of being pure dark. I also considered Corrupter over Dominator for ease of play. I heard that Dominators where a difficult class to play and while thats not a bad thing for somebody like me who's only had limited experence with the game I was thinking corrupter may be a better fit...though I am not sure.

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-10-17, 03:58 PM
Corruptors are a good deal easier to use than Dominators. Dominators require some pretty quick reflexes to get the most out of your single-target powers in the middle of a large brawl while most corruptors can easily get away with spamming their AoEs at things (manic laughter optional).

Dark/Dark is a decent combo. Actually, let me qualify that. Dark Miasma is a godlike powerset offering heals, debuffs and lots of control. Dark Blast is... much less so. Pretty sub-par on every count, in fact. Don't let that deter you though, a Dark/Dark corruptor is gonna be able to handle anything the game throws your way.

Don't be fooled by the -acc synergy though. Dark Miasma already floors enemy tohit; Dark Blast's debuffs are like a bucket in the ocean. Most of Dark/Dark's power actually comes from Tenebrous Tentacles making sure enemies stay on the Tar Patch instead of running out of it.

Remeber that concept is pretty flexible: power customisation lets you make anything into anything else. My own corruptor is called The Uranium Cranium. You'd expect Rad/Rad but she's actually Fire/Dark. I just coloured all her powers radiation green and called it a day :smallsmile:

DISCLAIMER: I haven't played 4 months or so, so I don't know anything about the newer sets. ¡

In terms of raw power any combination of Fire/ or Sonic/ with /Traps, /Dark, /Cold or /Kinetics are kings of the mountain. On the flipside there aren't any sets so terrible I'd suggest avoiding at all costs... except maybe Energy Blast.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-10-18, 10:42 AM
Yeah. I just love the idea of a fully dark character, and since I don't want to play an Uchiha, Dark/Dark trumps Fire/Dark for dark-ness, even with power customization. That's just how I am, though. Dark or Bust! If I had acssess to wings, however, fire/dark would not be half-bad as I could make a demon and just say it's hellfire or make a dragon-man and say it's dragonfire, but wings are something you cannot get right off the bat and hellfire/dragonfire is not nearly as awesome if your not a demon/draconic being.