PDA

View Full Version : Internet Troubles

Fredaintdead
2011-10-17, 01:19 PM
So, I'm having a wee spot of bother here, and I was wondering if any of you noble folk could help me out.

Right, so, at 3pm today (GMT), I started noticing more and more sites become unavailable to me. Initially it was just Weregeek.com (which I was told was down for other people too), then it was spoonyexperiment.com (which I checked and was apparently up for other people), then it was google, then Youtube, then facebook, then pretty much every site. I ran some virus scans, and when they found nothing, I attempted to remedy the situation by simply disabling and then re-enabling my Local Area Connection, hoping that would reset things and everything would go back to normal.
This resulted in my internet connection completely shutting down. I checked my settings to those in the internet setup guide my university gave me, and everything appeared okay but there was still no improvement.
So I attempted a system restore to a point where none of these problems existed (yesterday 11pm GMT), upon computer restart, Windows informed me that the system restore attempt had failed, apparently because I have antivirus programs, so I ended up uninstalling AVG and MalwareBytes from my computer, and then attempted a further system restore... this also failed, and told me it was because of antivirus... even though at that point I really had none (It might have been counting Microsoft Security Essentials, but I wasn't about to leave my system completely unprotected).
At this point I cried and restarted my system. My internet sort of fixed itself here, I am currently able to access websites via my browsers, but at a cost. Firstly: The connection was much much slower. Secondly: The connection was much less reliable, as my browser would not respond at several points. Thirdly: I could not reinstall AVG (managed to get MalwareBytes back though). Fourth: I could not update anything (i.e. MalwareBytes, Windows itself and Microsoft Security Essentials). Fifth: I could not log on to any other program of mine that required the internet, e.g. Skype and AIM.
I have tried going to the university tech support help desk, but it was closed.

Extra information:
- My system is a Packard Bell Laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit).

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I have contemplated doing a factory conditions reset, but this has two problems, 1) I don't want to have to do that until I have no other option, and 2) I think I might be missing one of the disks.

factotum
2011-10-17, 04:32 PM
Are you sure this is actually a problem with your PC? Virgin Media has had an issue over the last couple of days where a lot of websites are inaccessible due to a routing problem on their network, and you could be suffering from that or something similar. Have you checked to make sure if anyone else connecting through the same internet connection as you has experienced issues?

Fredaintdead
2011-10-17, 04:46 PM
Are you sure this is actually a problem with your PC? Virgin Media has had an issue over the last couple of days where a lot of websites are inaccessible due to a routing problem on their network, and you could be suffering from that or something similar. Have you checked to make sure if anyone else connecting through the same internet connection as you has experienced issues?

I don't know if I'm with Virgin Media to start with. It's the university provided ResNet.
As for if other people have experienced it, I haven't checked yet, but it feels isolated to me. I don't exactly spend much time talking to other people in my flat.
I'll probably take it to the techies after my lectures and seminars are done tomorrow anyway. Hopefully they'll still be open at 3pm.
Skype's working again anyway.

Fredaintdead
2011-10-18, 09:17 AM
Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to let people know my problem has been fixed.
Don't know what's happened exactly, but everything is running fine again. It was probably just a hiccup with the server, but everything is back to normal for me. :smallsmile: