PDA

View Full Version : 4 generations

dehro
2011-10-17, 02:55 PM
yeah..so last week 4 generations of my family sat in the same room. This hasn't happened since I myself was born and my great-grandparents were still alive.. some 30+ years ago..and is not likely to happen again any time soon on account of my grandparents living in Holland, far away from their great grandchild, my niece ...so I thought I'd share.

it's also nice because I wasn't actually there so I didn't have to listen to the incessant babble.

http://i51.tinypic.com/25yyel4.jpg

KenderWizard
2011-10-17, 04:08 PM
That's lovely! What a nice photo too. :smallsmile:

I think there's a photo of me as a baby, with my mammy, my granddad and my great-grand-uncle. Hopefully, I'll have my first kids before my grandparents die, that would be really wonderful.

A Rainy Knight
2011-10-17, 04:14 PM
Aww, how nice! :smallsmile: I guess it really doesn't seem too extraordinary to me, though, since me, my mother, my grandmother, and my great-grandmother all show up at family Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. gatherings every year.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-17, 07:02 PM
Up until my great-grandmother died about 3 years ago, we had this, every Passover and Chanukah.

dehro
2011-10-18, 01:52 AM
thank you, people..

Up until my great-grandmother died about 3 years ago, we had this, every Passover and Chanukah.

nice...sadly it's already a wonder if we manage to get 2 generations together, for Passover..
which I suppose will be 3 now, next year..
there is a plan to go to Holland this winter though..so we might make it to do this a second time.. this time with me present as well...
it's kinda sad and ominous when you don't see your grandparents much because of distance and money issues and you realise that each time could be the last time on account of them being... well.. really old :smalleek::smalleek:

ShortOne
2011-10-18, 03:34 AM
Oh, that's so sweet! I'm so glad you've been lucky enough to do that at least once. :smallsmile:

it's kinda sad and ominous when you don't see your grandparents much because of distance and money issues and you realise that each time could be the last time on account of them being... well.. really old

Unfortunately, I understand what you mean. Even though my having children is pretty far off, there's a struggle in my head about whether to live close enough to future childrens' grandparents that they can be a major part in each others' lives. It wasn't a luxury I got, living a 24 hour drive away from one set. My grandfather just died this last summer, and it finally dawned on me how very different the relationships of the cousins who'd lived in the same town as he did were. It really got me to start thinking. :smallfrown:

Telonius
2011-10-18, 01:31 PM
Wonderful picture!

4 generations in one room ... that happened on my uncle's side of the family a few times. On my side, four generations haven't been alive at the same time since (I think) the early 1940s. (Fortunately due to late marriage rather than early death).

Starwulf
2011-10-18, 02:46 PM
My wife has a picture somewhere with 5 generations of her family. Great-Great, Great, Grand, Mom, Herself as a baby.

ForzaFiori
2011-10-18, 08:36 PM
My (step) family almost had 5 generations in one room. My step-great grandmother died a few months after my step-sister got pregnant. Of course, given the habit in that family of having kids at ~16, I'm sure we'll have another chance of it eventually.

Rockphed
2011-10-18, 09:45 PM
One of my great grand parents might still be alive, but I think she has gone nuts and is no longer fit for civilized company. Either way, I have never met her. However, my grandparents live 3 miles from my parents, so they get to have 4 generations in one room as often as both my niecephews* and grandparents come over at once.

*This is my term for the genderless plural of "sibling's child". Please use it often so that we don't have to keep using "nieces and nephews" every time we want to discuss a mixed sex group of 2nd generation descendents from our parents.

Gator
2011-10-18, 10:06 PM
What a blessing! All of my great-grandparents were dead long before I was born, and I never knew three of my grandparents.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-18, 10:09 PM
We've had 4 generations in a room once. One was a newborn, one was on her deathbed. Having kids every 50 years or so does that too you though.

KenderWizard
2011-10-19, 12:54 PM
One of my great grand parents might still be alive, but I think she has gone nuts and is no longer fit for civilized company. Either way, I have never met her. However, my grandparents live 3 miles from my parents, so they get to have 4 generations in one room as often as both my niecephews* and grandparents come over at once.

*This is my term for the genderless plural of "sibling's child". Please use it often so that we don't have to keep using "nieces and nephews" every time we want to discuss a mixed sex group of 2nd generation descendents from our parents.

Clever! I've been searching for just this word! I will use it.

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-20, 05:46 AM
Nice! It sucks when distance keeps you from seeing family. Pudding Troll is blessed that he regularly visits one of his great-grandmothers and has three still alive and mostly well. I'm glad my grandsons live nearby, too.

As a rare sighting for my family (we tend to reproduce young and live long, it seems), a few years ago, my grandson sat in my great-grandmother's lap after her husband's funeral. It was very much a bittersweet affair. On one hand, Grandpa Leo had passed away (he was 96 and passed peacefully). On the other hand, how many times do you see six generations in one place?

dehro
2011-10-23, 06:23 AM
Nice! It sucks when distance keeps you from seeing family. Pudding Troll is blessed that he regularly visits one of his great-grandmothers and has three still alive and mostly well. I'm glad my grandsons live nearby, too.

As a rare sighting for my family (we tend to reproduce young and live long, it seems), a few years ago, my grandson sat in my great-grandmother's lap after her husband's funeral. It was very much a bittersweet affair. On one hand, Grandpa Leo had passed away (he was 96 and passed peacefully). On the other hand, how many times do you see six generations in one place?

rather awesome... we tend to take our time in getting down to the whole reproduction business.. so it's much rarer for such occurrences to happen. this time however, little niece got lucky...she's still got 2 great grandmothers and a great grandad alive.. a grandad, a grandma and an estranged grandad somewhere in Sardinia, apparently.