PDA

View Full Version : Improving the DC on spell saves.

Mockingbird
2011-10-17, 05:46 PM
Hi, I'm using a character in a PF campaign where I plan on taking levels in Magus (hexcrafter). I have levels in other classes, but I started with Hexblade (this revision- https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgsxfnsp_6hc8d69gj )

My current levels are Changeling Hexblade 4/Warshaper2. My Ability scores are-
Str- 19 (from warshaper's +4)
Con- 20 (from warshaper's +4)
Dex- 14
Wis- 14
Int- 13
Cha- 16

As you can see, my intelligence is not ideal for Magus, but I'm going to put my next ability point into intelligence and boot it up a little. Magus is an ideal class for me, because of the feat with the revision that stacks spellcasting levels with hexblade levels to find the potency of Hexblade's Curse, and Spell Combat, which means I can attack with all my natural attacks and cast a spell in one full-round action.
Then I noticed that the DC for saves is 10+the spell level+my INT modifier. That's nothing. So is there any way to improve the DC? I kind of need it.

Nich_Critic
2011-10-18, 12:43 PM
There's spell focus and greater spell focus that will improve your DC for one school. However, with an int that low I would give up on casting spells with DCs (unless you want to spend a large amount of resources bringing it back to normal). Instead, focus on buffing yourself, or using spells that don't have a save, or have (lesser) effects on a successful save.

For example, ray of enfeeblement is weaker in PF then in 3.5, but you can still get a nice, guaranteed effect by casting it, without worrying about whether the save passes or fails.

On the other hand, you have the hexblade's curse, so you might be better off lowering their saves then trying to boost your DC (or meet somewhere in the middle). Look for things that hit their Con, Wis and Dex, bestow the shaken, and sickened conditions, or bestow negative levels. All these things stack and reduce their saves. It starts to matter less if you have a high DC if they're making saves at -8 from the penalties you've added. This obviously works better on a single, powerful target then multiple mooks, since the mooks will tend to just die without needing to be debuffed too much.

Big Fau
2011-10-18, 01:15 PM
For spells that target Will saves, you can use the Insane Defiance feat in Elder Evils to have a minion impose a -4 penalty on the intended target's save.