PDA

View Full Version : My Next Character. Need Help 3.P

Tokuhara
2011-10-17, 09:58 PM
Our campaign went absolutely nowhere. The party didn't agree, since we all had the "Clint Eastwood Super-Serious" Personality. No wonder I get headaches :smallfrown:

So, since the party members were all killed (due to party conflicts, mostly between the Paladin, Myself, our Monk, and our Wizard), I have to build a character who can be the Comic Relief.

My thought:

Race: Chaos Gnome (Since all PF races are essentially "1LA", I thought this would be cool for a racial smart-mouth.

Class: ???

Goal: Oliver deBurrows by R.A. Salvitore. I want a character who is sneaky, and can be played so annoyingly that if he gets pasted in a fight, the entire table stands up and cheers. FYI, I am using the name, since I absolutely adore the character.

For those who don't know, Oliver is from one of R.A. Salvitore and was the only character that he actually played to end up in one of his novels. He was a Highway-Halfling (Think Highwayman, but a halfling) and was a 2nd Edition Halfling Rogue. Think Ignacio Montoya meets Pippin/Merry from LoTR meets Sir Robin from Monty Python

kulosle
2011-10-18, 04:39 AM
this character sounds like a great idea.
do you want to be actually useful or is that unimportant.
if its not then i would dump all my feats into luck feats just because its so annoying watching someone roll dice over and over again. also over use of skill tricks is a fun and effective way to give your character that unique flare. play a factotum that can't make up his mind about what he wants to do with life. do something silly like take nymphs kiss.

if you actually want to be useful, be a good character then i would still play a factotum or a bard, but just be a skill monkey. take leadership and a bunch of skill feats and be as inventive with them as you can. the best skills for silly fun times are autohypnosis, bluff, climb, diplomacy, disable device, disguise, forgery, gather information, handle animal, hide, intimidate, jump, move silently, open lock, slight of hand, use magic device and all the silly crafts, performs, and professions. some of these are for obvious reasons but you'd be suprised how underused climb, disable device, forgery, and jump are, get into any where one way or the other. and worse case scenario show them the document form the king saying you own the place you are breaking into. disable device is not just for traps and you can make a wheel on a wagon fall off after 20 minutes of driving, this is perfect to plan ambushes. or also good is to rig a scale at a money exchange that so you get more gold for your silver. so many things that aren't done with skills. the performs and professions are the best, trader to get cheaper goods, or oratory just to sound impressive when you say you should be the next mayor because you have documents (forgery) that say the current mayor is stealing tax money. if its allowed the agony mage is just a straight up fun PrC.

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 08:23 AM
this character sounds like a great idea.
do you want to be actually useful or is that unimportant.
if its not then i would dump all my feats into luck feats just because its so annoying watching someone roll dice over and over again. also over use of skill tricks is a fun and effective way to give your character that unique flare. play a factotum that can't make up his mind about what he wants to do with life. do something silly like take nymphs kiss.

if you actually want to be useful, be a good character then i would still play a factotum or a bard, but just be a skill monkey. take leadership and a bunch of skill feats and be as inventive with them as you can. the best skills for silly fun times are autohypnosis, bluff, climb, diplomacy, disable device, disguise, forgery, gather information, handle animal, hide, intimidate, jump, move silently, open lock, slight of hand, use magic device and all the silly crafts, performs, and professions. some of these are for obvious reasons but you'd be suprised how underused climb, disable device, forgery, and jump are, get into any where one way or the other. and worse case scenario show them the document form the king saying you own the place you are breaking into. disable device is not just for traps and you can make a wheel on a wagon fall off after 20 minutes of driving, this is perfect to plan ambushes. or also good is to rig a scale at a money exchange that so you get more gold for your silver. so many things that aren't done with skills. the performs and professions are the best, trader to get cheaper goods, or oratory just to sound impressive when you say you should be the next mayor because you have documents (forgery) that say the current mayor is stealing tax money. if its allowed the agony mage is just a straight up fun PrC.

Remember: Oli is useful, but comic relief, so yeah.

Factotum? Oliver deBurrows, a Lucky Factotum? Brilliant I say. Maybe a Factotum/Fortune's Friend (aka: Lucky Bastard as gleefully renamed by our group when our Chaos Mage/Wild Mage/Fortune's Friend was able to flip a Mage Hand spell into a Twinned Empowered Maximized Quickened Silent Still Shaped Meteor Swarm)

Kol Korran
2011-10-18, 08:24 AM
i don't know the actual character, but there is this awesome picture (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=bindus#/d1e379z) on deviatnart that might be fitting. some suggestions:

- you can play him as a sot of gypsy- strange jib, fast talking, people can understand only about half of what he says (the part they do understand is filled with insults, mockings and curses, the part they don't turns up to be really important! "watch out! fsgf weraf wrtysd!"... "what?"... "fsgf weraf wrtysd!" (party member stabbed by the NPC) "he's a traitor!") the jib could be a curse or naturally occurring.

- if you really want to make it annoying, on certain occasions (mainly ones to benefit him) have him speak oh-so-eloquently.

- add all manner of bad superstition, (part of which might be not understood) tell the DM to try and use these for humerous events. (flipping cards, then suddenly looking sharply at the elf. "this does not look good lass. you're goign to breakfy scredul spazek before the day is gone. i'm so sorry..." then the DM plays some prank on her

- have some reason forthe characters not to kill or get rid of you. perhaps a curse or condition put on them?

- class: i think either bard (with a gypsy bent) but more leaning towards beguiler- same skill points, and more interesting spells. and you can still make lewd songs about the party members, and spread them in public, they just won't give any bonuses. :smallwink:

hope this helps!
Kol.

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 08:36 AM
i don't know the actual character, but there is this awesome picture (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=bindus#/d1e379z) on deviatnart that might be fitting. some suggestions:

- you can play him as a sot of gypsy- strange jib, fast talking, people can understand only about half of what he says (the part they do understand is filled with insults, mockings and curses, the part they don't turns up to be really important! "watch out! fsgf weraf wrtysd!"... "what?"... "fsgf weraf wrtysd!" (party member stabbed by the NPC) "he's a traitor!") the jib could be a curse or naturally occurring.

- if you really want to make it annoying, on certain occasions (mainly ones to benefit him) have him speak oh-so-eloquently.

- add all manner of bad superstition, (part of which might be not understood) tell the DM to try and use these for humerous events. (flipping cards, then suddenly looking sharply at the elf. "this does not look good lass. you're goign to breakfy scredul spazek before the day is gone. i'm so sorry..." then the DM plays some prank on her

- have some reason forthe characters not to kill or get rid of you. perhaps a curse or condition put on them?

- class: i think either bard (with a gypsy bent) but more leaning towards beguiler- same skill points, and more interesting spells. and you can still make lewd songs about the party members, and spread them in public, they just won't give any bonuses. :smallwink:

hope this helps!
Kol.

Well, Oli is the kind of character that in the books he'll say something, you get 3 pages ahead, then you groan and flip back to see if he really said what he said.

More info: Oli uses a colichemarde-style rapier and a Parrying Dagger

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 09:42 AM
So what Luck feats are worth taking in the "Long Run?" The build I'm looking at currently is:

Factotum 5/Fortune's Friend 5/Battle Trickster 3/Uncanny Trickster 3/Exemplar 4

So I need good skill tricks for a Chaos Gnome who is unintentionally blessed with good luck and overall a talented yet annoying Highway Gnome

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 12:44 PM
Anybody???

And without dipping into Bard, how can I get Glibness?

Lapak
2011-10-18, 01:00 PM
Anybody???

And without dipping into Bard, how can I get Glibness?Carry a hip flask. Establish as a character trait from the beginning that he takes a swig from his flask whenever he needs a moment to pull his thoughts together and make an argument.

As soon as it becomes financially viable, replace the contents of the flask with a few doses of Glibness in potion form. :smallwink:

Hirax
2011-10-18, 01:03 PM
If you want to poach the luck angle even more, you could be a goliath, they have racial feats that would be of use. And don't forget that you can get a luck feat for a fairly meager cost by stealing from the court of thieves.

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 02:36 PM
How does Goliath help?

And besides, being non-small means he's no longer Oliver deBurrows

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 04:58 PM
So for Oliver, what would some good Luck Feats and Skill Tricks?

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 08:40 PM
So for Oliver, what would some good Luck Feats and Skill Tricks?

Anybody???????

Drelua
2011-10-18, 09:10 PM
I don't know about the luck feats, but I did play a character halfling rogue inspired by Oliver deBurrows, and I think the accent was the part that really had everyone laughing every time I opened my mouth. He was horribly built by my DM but still fun to RP regardless of him being useless in combat. He was extremely arrogant, and whenever he wanted something he'd just keep asking, then when he knew he had no shot of getting what he wanted, he'd say "...but I love you" just to confuse them. The first time I did this was when I was being yelled at for sitting in the king's throne when he left the room. As far as role-playing goes, it's not a hard character to play once you get the accent, the bravado and the BS down.

As far as Glibness, I'd say just give him a wand and UMD it. I don't think he ever showed signs of having UMD, but The Crimson Shadow was set in a pretty low magic setting, and it seems like something he'd do if magic items were more common. The luck feats seem like the right direction to take him, but I don't have the system knowledge to help you there, sorry.

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 09:17 PM
I don't know about the luck feats, but I did play a character halfling rogue inspired by Oliver deBurrows, and I think the accent was the part that really had everyone laughing every time I opened my mouth. He was horribly built by my DM but still fun to RP regardless of him being useless in combat. He was extremely arrogant, and whenever he wanted something he'd just keep asking, then when he knew he had no shot of getting what he wanted, he'd say "...but I love you" just to confuse them. The first time I did this was when I was being yelled at for sitting in the king's throne when he left the room. As far as role-playing goes, it's not a hard character to play once you get the accent, the bravado and the BS down.

As far as Glibness, I'd say just give him a wand and UMD it. I don't think he ever showed signs of having UMD, but The Crimson Shadow was set in a pretty low magic setting, and it seems like something he'd do if magic items were more common. The luck feats seem like the right direction to take him, but I don't have the system knowledge to help you there, sorry.

I plan on building a custom magic item named the Flask of Infinite Potions of Glibness. Dunno what the price would be, but I can work around cost with a story angle: it was an heirloom gift from his father.

Mostly, Luck feats are, "I get a do-over" for skills, attack rolls, etc.

Kol Korran
2011-10-19, 01:15 AM
there was a home brew make that combined the rogue with the swashbuckler (since they both sucked). i don't think tit's what you're aiming for, but perhaps it could be the base for your character. the main thing in it is the "lucky" feature whicc might be really neat.

and even if you don't like the class, check out the second post, for.... Luck Feats!

hopefully your DM accepts homebrew. this seems like a quality one!

the thread in question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188150)

kulosle
2011-10-19, 02:31 AM
all the luck feats can be found here http://www.mithrilcircle.com/Chells/RPG/DD_Books/Complete%20Scoundrel.pdf

i suggest Make Your Own Luck take advantage of this and put at least one point in any semi useful skill (take a look at the factotums handbook), and the once that change 1s to 20s
survivors luck is a must
tempting fate so that you don't have to worry about dying
good karma isn't useful but its funny
and unbelievable luck is also amazing
and seriously take a look at nymphs kiss in the book of exalted deeds if you don't mind play a good character, extra skill points are nice and a bonus to all cha skills so you don't have to put as many points into cha.

i don't know how i feel about the build of

i believe that every factotum should go to at least 8 for cunning surge. i agree with the fortunes friend that should be maxed. i never really liked the any of the trickster classes, except maybe magical trickster, but i think you would be better off putting the rest into exemplar. or if you really like being a lucky fella go with luck stealer from races of the wild. or prestigious bard (or regular bard if you DM doesn't allow it) is also a nice flavor choice

as far as skill tricks are concerned the best ones depends on what your doing,
some are good depending on your character, for instance i have yet to play a rogue without group fake or acrobatic backstab out but i don't think it would be good for this character since you don't need your foes flat footed
never out number on the other hand is a great trick especially if you get imperious command feat, all the foes start of the fight cowering and you just coup de grace them all.
collector of stories and knowledge devotion feat is a great combo if your gm allows it, some say that the knowledge check for knowledge devotion is more than identifying the monster so they wont let you get the bonus, but if he does let you its sooo sweet.
also spot the week point and quick reconnoiter is also a great way to make sure you hit
your small so you'll be the one grappled a lot so escape attack and other grapple related tricks will be nice.
wall jumper makes more places accessible to you
and mosquito bite is a nice way to poison someone without getting caught.
magical appraisal is also okay
the rest depend on what you are going to be doing, do you need to unlock doors quickly, and do you plan on wear a disguise, it's up to you.

Tokuhara
2011-10-19, 08:02 AM
all the luck feats can be found here http://www.mithrilcircle.com/Chells/RPG/DD_Books/Complete%20Scoundrel.pdf

i suggest Make Your Own Luck take advantage of this and put at least one point in any semi useful skill (take a look at the factotums handbook), and the once that change 1s to 20s
survivors luck is a must
tempting fate so that you don't have to worry about dying
good karma isn't useful but its funny
and unbelievable luck is also amazing
and seriously take a look at nymphs kiss in the book of exalted deeds if you don't mind play a good character, extra skill points are nice and a bonus to all cha skills so you don't have to put as many points into cha.

i don't know how i feel about the build of

i believe that every factotum should go to at least 8 for cunning surge. i agree with the fortunes friend that should be maxed. i never really liked the any of the trickster classes, except maybe magical trickster, but i think you would be better off putting the rest into exemplar. or if you really like being a lucky fella go with luck stealer from races of the wild. or prestigious bard (or regular bard if you DM doesn't allow it) is also a nice flavor choice

as far as skill tricks are concerned the best ones depends on what your doing,
some are good depending on your character, for instance i have yet to play a rogue without group fake or acrobatic backstab out but i don't think it would be good for this character since you don't need your foes flat footed
never out number on the other hand is a great trick especially if you get imperious command feat, all the foes start of the fight cowering and you just coup de grace them all.
collector of stories and knowledge devotion feat is a great combo if your gm allows it, some say that the knowledge check for knowledge devotion is more than identifying the monster so they wont let you get the bonus, but if he does let you its sooo sweet.
also spot the weak point and quick reconnoiter is also a great way to make sure you hit
your small so you'll be the one grappled a lot so escape attack and other grapple related tricks will be nice.
wall jumper makes more places accessible to you
and mosquito bite is a nice way to poison someone without getting caught.
magical appraisal is also okay
the rest depend on what you are going to be doing, do you need to unlock doors quickly, and do you plan on wear a disguise, it's up to you.

I did that because I see Oli as a trickster more than a scary guy. The skill trick Never Outnumbered seems less useful, considering I'm not really a raving loony, but a wise-cracking Gnome who, as I worded it, "Hastens the End of Social Encounters though deceit, foul play, and general dishonesty."

Think Inigo Montoya meets Varrick meets Tuco. He's not entirely the bravest guy in the room, but he'll help when it counts. Luckier than a card counter, funnier than a comedian, and just smart enough to not be the "trap chump."

And rereading the luck feats, Unbelievable Luck, Lucky Start, Survivor's Luck, and Better Lucky than Good all seem like the most Viable Luck Feats.

I don't Qualify for Luckstealer (being a Chaos Gnome), and I chose the tricksters because they advance your character class by 2 levels each. And I've never really liked bard (aka: Fifth Wheel in a Box). Even Prestige Bard is kinda meh. I think WotC hates the bard class.

I planned on Wall Jumper and Walk the Walls (Seems to go together,) but I also plan on grabbing "Useless" skills, like Forgery, Profession: Gambler, and Bluff (mostly for non-combat). I feel that Forgery is the most underappreciated skill in d&d. You can (with a high enough bluff & forgery) legally obtain a kingdom. All you do is forge a document (like a secret will) and tell the king whos kingdom you want that you are his long-lost older brother. The kingdom, as by the document you forged, belongs to you.

Lapak
2011-10-19, 08:14 AM
I plan on building a custom magic item named the Flask of Infinite Potions of Glibness. Dunno what the price would be, but I can work around cost with a story angle: it was an heirloom gift from his father.

Mostly, Luck feats are, "I get a do-over" for skills, attack rolls, etc.I'd see if your DM will let you re-skin an Eternal Wand for this; literally unlimited Potions of Glibness amounts to a permanent +30 to Bluff for most practical purposes, which I would definitely not allow if I was running the game. Even an Eternal Wand would let you have it up and running for an hour at a time twice a day; that should be plenty.

Tokuhara
2011-10-19, 08:19 AM
I'd see if your DM will let you re-skin an Eternal Wand for this; literally unlimited Potions of Glibness amounts to a permanent +30 to Bluff for most practical purposes, which I would definitely not allow if I was running the game. Even an Eternal Wand would let you have it up and running for an hour at a time twice a day; that should be plenty.

Never thought getting drunk off of potions would be THAT bad...