PDA

View Full Version : Half-celestial and half-fiend

Morithias
2011-10-17, 10:06 PM
Ok these two templates have a very odd requirement and here it is (this one is for the half-celestial)

""Half-celestial" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher and nonevil alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature)."

My question is...how in the nine hells does the template know if you're Evil/Good aligned? What happens if you start out evil/good but then get redeemed/fall from grace. Do you lose the template?

Could a neutral creature in theory have BOTH templates? (Yes I realize that implies that the creatures parents where a devil and an angel).

Tonal Architect
2011-10-17, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure how celestials/demons are born, but I'd guess it doesn't involve birds and bees... Most of the half-templates usually "happen" when a creature assumes mortal form and impregnate a creature capable of child-birth, so I'm not sure they can carry out the term themselves.

Shadowknight12
2011-10-17, 10:29 PM
You're confusing cause with effect. The template isn't telling you that in-game it is applied after the creature gains the Good alignment. That'd be impossible because it's an inherited template, and therefore it is gained at birth.

What the template is telling you is that your resulting creature must be of good alignment, and you can't apply it to creatures who can't be good-aligned. It's a very roundabout and oblique way of telling you that A) Celestials don't sleep with evil creatures; and B) Half-celestials feel drawn towards good so much they almost invariably end up being good.

Drelua
2011-10-17, 10:38 PM
The problem with using two 'half-' templates is simple; regardless of how the child is conceived, why what would it look like? I believe the stated method is to apply the template from one to the other creature. I think an example of this was given as a half-red dragon black dragon, but the problem with this system is the difference of ~4 CR between a half-red dragon black dragon and a half-black dragon red dragon. When semantics can make that can of difference, there's a problem. There's really no good way that makes sense given in the rules, as far as I know. That being said, I don't think there's any RAW preventing you from making a half-fiend half-celestial half-dragon human, but I don't wanna picture the night that came from. :smalleek:

As to the good/evil requirement, I believe that's supposed to be justified as inherited from your parent. Basically, the blood of an angel keeps you from being evil considering it's the blood of a being of pure good. Or maybe you just lose those powers if you turn your back on your heritage, or they reject you because of the evil inside you. There's many possible explanations, but it really comes down to what the DM's personal taste in that regard.

Xyphan
2014-12-12, 08:58 PM
On the alignment restriction, my group ignores those because the offspring still have free will. It is possible to have a half-celestial half-fiend character. A half-celestial and a half-fiend of the same base race have a kid.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-12, 09:03 PM
I am pretty sure there is a canon romance between a succubus and a deva that is about to result in a child. Quick someone who cares more go look in Afrokuma's thread.

atemu1234
2014-12-12, 09:03 PM
On the alignment restriction, my group ignores those because the offspring still have free will. It is possible to have a half-celestial half-fiend character. A half-celestial and a half-fiend of the same base race have a kid.

It'd probably cancel out; though I'd probably allow it anyways...

Jeff the Green
2014-12-12, 09:49 PM
That being said, I don't think there's any RAW preventing you from making a half-fiend half-celestial half-dragon human, but I don't wanna picture the night that came from. :smalleek:

Well, when a mommy dragon and a daddy succubus and a mommy archon and a daddy archwizard get really drunk...

Urpriest
2014-12-12, 09:55 PM
Ok these two templates have a very odd requirement and here it is (this one is for the half-celestial)

""Half-celestial" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher and nonevil alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature)."

My question is...how in the nine hells does the template know if you're Evil/Good aligned? What happens if you start out evil/good but then get redeemed/fall from grace. Do you lose the template?

Could a neutral creature in theory have BOTH templates? (Yes I realize that implies that the creatures parents where a devil and an angel).

It's an inherited template, as others have said, so you're applying it to a statblock, not to a creature in-game. As such, the alignment can't be the alignment of any particular creature, but instead must be the Alignment line in the statblock. So as long as you're applying the template to a creature that doesn't have the word Evil in its Alignment line you should be fine. Conversely, RAW it appears you can't have Half-Celestial Orcs, for example. In practice I probably would relax that restriction, but as-is that's what it seems to be indicating.

Hazrond
2014-12-12, 10:21 PM
you know what i always thought would be an interesting thing to try? in one of the games that waives LA (ive played a few, it gets pretty crazy) play a character with the half-template for all four alignments, and be true neutral while being constantly pulled between the four parts of your heritage

ShurikVch
2014-12-13, 03:16 AM
Well, when a daddy dragon and a mommy succubus FTFY. Succubi are all-female specie
Also, https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/elfwood--artwork/692175f0-26ee-11e4-b4db-0dd96224e40a/dragon-and-succubus.jpg

Jeff the Green
2014-12-13, 04:08 AM
FTFY. Succubi are all-female specie
Also, https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/elfwood--artwork/692175f0-26ee-11e4-b4db-0dd96224e40a/dragon-and-succubus.jpg

Yes, but they have change shape and a drunk archwizard on hand. :smallwink:

Angelalex242
2014-12-13, 04:14 AM
Well, all I can add to this thread is that many of my Paladin PCs are perfectly happy to spread the Half Celestial Template through the world. I like marrying my characters off to Celestials whenever I can convince the GM to let me.

Ashtagon
2014-12-13, 05:42 AM
[QUOTE=ShurikVch;18526191]FTFY. Succubi are all-female specie

The males of the species are called incubi.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-13, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=ShurikVch;18526191]FTFY. Succubi are all-female specie

The males of the species are called incubi.

In D&D canon, incubbi are succubi who have taken male form.

hamishspence
2014-12-13, 07:05 AM
In D&D canon, incubbi are succubi who have taken male form.

Depends what edition - and what tie-in material is allowed.

In 3rd ed, in Dragon Magazine, the Demonomicon article for Malcathet (Demon Queen of Succubi) (written by the same guy that wrote Fiendish Codex 2) includes a stat block for an incubus - with very different powers from a succubus.

In 4e, Succubi are devils and reside in the Nine Hells, whereas Incubi are demons - created when a bunch of succubi followed the former archdevil Grazz't out of the Hells, into the Abyss, and, like him, became demons.

In 5e, Succubi are NE fiends, rather than devils or demons.

I'm not sure how celestials/demons are born, but I'd guess it doesn't involve birds and bees... Most of the half-templates usually "happen" when a creature assumes mortal form and impregnate a creature capable of child-birth, so I'm not sure they can carry out the term themselves.

Depends on the type - some specifically can (in various sourcebooks), some can't.

Haruki-kun
2014-12-13, 09:36 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to start a new thread on the subject.