PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 - Playing first campaign - Help with stealth/ranged class.

TooSlo
2011-10-17, 10:56 PM
Hey all, I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and trying to learn as much as possible, but I'm finding myself stuck currently. I'm playing D&D for the first time in almost 15 years with a group of friends, but I'm finding that I'm incredibly lost on what class to start, though I have a bit of an idea of the style play I'd like to get into.

To give a little background, we're starting a campaign in the Eberron world, and it's going to be somewhat lenient since myself and some others are just now getting back into playing a d20 game. We're starting with a character level of 4 and will likely finish this initial campaign ~level 11-12, so end-game awesomeness isn't something that I need to keep an eye on.

Currently I've been interested in the idea of a Spellthief, as it feels like an alternative to a pure Rogue class (which someone else is already playing) but I was hoping to get some of the sneaky abilities while keeping myself at range. Reading through some of the rules books we have (most everything in 3.5 is available to us) I'm just struggling to find something that fits that character archetype, and I'm not sure if it actually exists.

The spellcaster portion of the class isn't a "needed" feature, it just seemed like a neat feature to the class. The most important features are as follows.

Stealthy abilities (hide/sneak/etc)
Mainly uses ranged weapons (bow/xbow/etc)
Not really interested in a pure spellcaster
Not forced into strict alignment. (Some freedom in selfish/selfless acts if the opportunity arises)
Don't have a huge interest in a familiar/pet/etc

I apologize if this isn't the specific forum for this type of post, but it seemed like my question didn't fit into the stickies since it didn't pertain to any rules clarifications, I'm just hoping to find some help in figuring out a good class combo to start this campaign.

Cheers!

Treblain
2011-10-17, 11:31 PM
The Scout class from Complete Adventurer sounds good for you. It covers all of those bases very well. It also has Skirmish, which gives you bonus damage if you move during your turn. Using Greater Manyshot, you can fire full volleys of arrows and move in a single turn.

The most effective Scout build uses a feat from Complete Scoundrel called Swift Hunter that lets you add together your Scout and Ranger levels for some class abilities. The most common combinations are Ranger 16/Scout 4 or the reverse.

TooSlo
2011-10-17, 11:37 PM
The Scout class from Complete Adventurer sounds good for you. It covers all of those bases very well. It also has Skirmish, which gives you bonus damage if you move during your turn. Using Greater Manyshot, you can fire full volleys of arrows and move in a single turn.

The most effective Scout build uses a feat from Complete Scoundrel called Swift Hunter that lets you add together your Scout and Ranger levels for some class abilities. The most common combinations are Ranger 16/Scout 4 or the reverse.

Thank you for the incredibly quick reply! I'll have to do some reading up on the Scout class tonight.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned Ranger16/Scout4. Is the Scout worth playing even at lower levels? It was easy to miss in my initial post, but this campaign will likely finish around levels 11-12 and a second round with these same characters is unlikely.

Would it be best to single class a Scout until the end of the campaign? I think it's helpful to have an understanding of where we will likely end, I'm just hesitant to consider a Prestige Class since it seems many of them don't start ramping up until levels 6-10 from what I can tell? Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is one that fits this somewhat odd character build, I'd love to find out some more information!

Tonal Architect
2011-10-17, 11:49 PM
In case you want a quick way to get Hide in Plain Sight, the ability to hide without concealment and while observed, I'd suggest taking a level in either Warlock or Dragonfire Adept. This will grant you access to the Darkness invocation, at will, which when Coupled with Blend into Shadows, from Drow of the Underdark, which allows you to spend a use of Darkness in order to hide in front on whomever is observing you as a swift action.

gorfnab
2011-10-17, 11:52 PM
Two handbooks that may be of use.
The Scout's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872250/The_Scouts_Handbook)
The Swift Hunter Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0)

Here are two Swift Hunter archer builds I've used before.

Human Swift Hunter
1. Scout (CAdv) - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
2. Scout
3. Scout - Alertness (prereq for SoK)
4. Ranger - (Arcane Hunter ACF, CM), B: Track
5. Scout - B: Swift Hunter (CS)
6. Scout - Favored of the Champions (prereq for SoK, BoED)
7. Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
8. Ranger - B: Endurance
9. Ranger - (Distracting Attack ACF, PHBII), Improved Skirmish (CS)
10. Ranger
11. Stalker of Kharash (BoED)
12. Stalker of Kharash - Nemesis: Evil (BoED)
13. Ranger - B: Manyshot
14. Ranger
15. Ranger - Greater Manyshot (XPH)
16. Ranger - (Spell Reflection ACF, CM)
17. Ranger
18. Ranger - Darkstalker (LoM), B: Improved Precise Shot
19. Ranger
20. Ranger

Human Swift Hunter
1. Scout - Point Blank Shot, Education (PGtF)
2. Scout
3. Scout - Precise Shot
4. Ranger - (Arcane Hunter ACF), B: Track
5. Scout - B: Swift Hunter
6. Scout - Improved Skirmish
7. Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
8. Ranger - B: Endurance
9. Ranger - (Distracting Attack ACF), Knowledge Devotion (CC)
10. Ranger
11. Ranger - B: Manyshot
12. Ranger - Greater Manyshot
13. Ranger
14. Ranger - (Spell Reflection ACF)
15. Ranger - Darkstalker
16. Ranger - B: Improved Precise Shot
17. Ranger
18. Ranger - *Open Feat*
19. Ranger
20. Ranger

*Penetrating Shot, Nemesis: Arcanist, Dead Eye (Drg#304), Deadly Aim (Pathfinder SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat)), or some other appropriate feat. If you're playing in Forgotten Realms take Sword of the Arcane Order at 15th and Darkstalker or Nemesis: Arcanist at 18th.