PDA

View Full Version : A Strange question [3.PF]

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-17, 11:21 PM
Alright, the premise and reason here isn't that important and won't be gone into:

What would be the best classes (including prestige) for a Young Half-Troll Owlbear with the starting stat array: 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11?

Other than the obvious choice of Thayan Gladiator of course.

Bloodgruve
2011-10-17, 11:32 PM
Sounds like Totemist would fit. Maybe barbarian, druid, shaman or ranger builds?

Talentless
2011-10-17, 11:47 PM
Sounds like Totemist would fit. Maybe barbarian, druid, shaman or ranger builds?

The Answer is ALWAYS Wizard. :smallwink:

That said, Natural Attack Alchemist (forget the exact build).

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 12:05 AM
The Answer is ALWAYS Wizard. :smallwink:

Except when you have a -10 Intelligence Penalty. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-10-18, 12:41 AM
Half-Troll Owlbear

How d-

No, wait, I'd rather not know.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 12:44 AM
How d-

Well, both Half-Trolls and Owlbears are the results of magical experimentation so a Half-Troll Owlbear need not have come about through procreation.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-18, 12:51 AM
How d-

Three words baby: Love. Conquers . All.:smallamused:

Psyren
2011-10-18, 01:27 AM
Well, both Half-Trolls and Owlbears are the results of magical experimentation

results of magical experimentation

experimentation

I... I think I'm needed in another thread. Excuse me...

Zagaroth
2011-10-18, 02:58 AM
Honestly, Barbarian has some nice options. Add in a gore attack with a rage power, later get a tail graft of some sort perhaps? and when you have +9 BaB, you'd qualify for the Rapid Strike feat I think (Draconomicon), with improved RS at BaB 14.

Note, you can always take Improved Unarmed Strike to get a BaB based attack that then allows you to use all your natural weapons as following Natural Attacks (as an Unarmed Strike can be from any part of your body), but all your natural attacks are then treated as secondary attacks, halving your str damage. Multi attack & Improved MA really helps here, but the reduced damage remains. Unless you can talk your DM into a variant of Double Slice that fixes this.

hrrrm, unarmed variant swordsage? your skill suck with the intelligence penalty, but Tiger Blood focus on maneuvers, remembering that your starting initiator level is 3 (Owlbear 5HD/2= 2, +1 sword sage), you can start taking 2nd level manuevers immediately. If it requires a prerequisite manuever, you can spend 1 on the pre-requisite 1st level maneuver, and then move onto 2nd level maneuvers. :)

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 09:46 AM
I... I think I'm needed in another thread. Excuse me...

I'll bet you a cookie you'll find a worse thread somewhere on here. :smalltongue:

@Zagaroth: All good suggestions, but if you can get a DM to swing for Unarmed Swordsage (which isn't technically even an ACF, just a suggestion down the class on how it could possibly be played) wouldn't it be better to try and get them to swing for an Unarmed Warblade?

Mutazoia
2011-10-18, 09:56 AM
@Zagaroth: All good suggestions, but if you can get a DM to swing for Unarmed Swordsage (which isn't technically even an ACF, just a suggestion down the class on how it could possibly be played) wouldn't it be better to try and get them to swing for an Unarmed Warblade?

Why wouldn't the DM swing it...he's already green-lit a half-troll owlbear :smallannoyed: Might as well get him to bundle rogue sneak attack with that unarmed warblade...and give him the sorcerer spell abilities...:smallyuk:

Kansaschaser
2011-10-18, 12:25 PM
Well, both Half-Trolls and Owlbears are the results of magical experimentation so a Half-Troll Owlbear need not have come about through procreation.

Well, when a Mommy Troll and a Daddy Owlbear love each other very much...

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 01:16 PM
Why wouldn't the DM swing it...he's already green-lit a half-troll owlbear :smallannoyed: Might as well get him to bundle rogue sneak attack with that unarmed warblade...and give him the sorcerer spell abilities...:smallyuk:

Your inappropriate post isn't really warranted or appreciated sir. If the unexplained concept of this thread is so offensive to you, you didn't need to say anything.

Paul H
2011-10-18, 05:08 PM
Hi

There's always Synthesist (Summoner Archetype)

Not so much for the massive AC bonuses, stat increases, or the plethora of extra abilities. Plus spells.

No, you take it so you can look like whatever you want, and people won't just kill you on sight.

Thanks
Paul H

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 05:15 PM
Unlike some people, I am more than willing to help. Monsterous races are my speciality.

What would your total ability score increases, racial abilities, and benefits of this oddity?

Where do you want the character to head? Melee, Ranged, Magic? I could use some info.

Paul H
2011-10-18, 05:20 PM
Hi

Think about Synthesist is that instead of going into a PrC like Dragon Disciple to play a dragon for a few rounds, you can actually BE a Dragon for most of the day! :smallbiggrin:

And since it's a single class, you keep all your Favoured Class bonuses!

But that's just one option.

What sort of concept do you like playing?

Thanks
Paul H

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 08:51 PM
Unlike some people, I am more than willing to help. Monsterous races are my speciality.

What would your total ability score increases, racial abilities, and benefits of this oddity?

Where do you want the character to head? Melee, Ranged, Magic? I could use some info.

The total scores/abilities for said character/npc/pc/bbeg/etc would be:

+10 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +10 Constitution, -10 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

Magical Beast (Giant) [I'm assuming. Giant became a subtype and Humanoid is superseded by Magical Beast on the type pyramid but I don't see where the subtype would be lost]

Medium Size

5d10 HD

+7 Natural Armor

Darkvision 60 feet, Lowlight Vision, Scent

2 Claws (1d4) and Bite (1d6)

Rend (2d4)

Fast Healing 5

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 09:03 PM
The total scores/abilities for said character/npc/pc/bbeg/etc would be:

+10 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +10 Constitution, -10 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

Magical Beast (Giant) [I'm assuming. Giant became a subtype and Humanoid is superseded by Magical Beast on the type pyramid but I don't see where the subtype would be lost]

Medium Size

5d10 HD

+7 Natural Armor

Darkvision 60 feet, Lowlight Vision, Scent

2 Claws (1d4) and Bite (1d6)

Rend (2d4)

Fast Healing 5

To me, this almost screams barbarian, but I have a weird thought:

Since you have a small wisdom bonus, Swordsage could almost be viable, as long as you are aware you won't be a skill monkey. Ever. However, there is a nice plus side: going into melee, you have a higher chance of hitting. Focus on Setting Sun and Tiger Claw and use your strength as an advantage

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 09:10 PM
To me, this almost screams barbarian, but I have a weird thought:

Since you have a small wisdom bonus, Swordsage could almost be viable, as long as you are aware you won't be a skill monkey. Ever. However, there is a nice plus side: going into melee, you have a higher chance of hitting. Focus on Setting Sun and Tiger Claw and use your strength as an advantage

I always felt Swordsages were...well...

Not dumb I guess?

The best this thing will ever be is 2 points shy of a Troll in brains.

Anyways, yes Swordsage would get you a small bonus through it's level 2 ability, but wouldn't Warblade be more appropriate if going that route?

And something I feel may have been missed by the few posters kind enough to not post counterproductive things:

This beastie has 5 Hit Dice and a +5 BaB; it can go straight into Prestige classes.

Tokuhara
2011-10-18, 09:14 PM
I always felt Swordsages were...well...

Not dumb I guess?

The best this thing will ever be is 2 points shy of a Troll in brains.

Anyways, yes Swordsage would get you a small bonus through it's level 2 ability, but wouldn't Warblade be more appropriate if going that route?

And something I feel may have been missed by the few posters kind enough to not post counterproductive things:

This beastie has 5 Hit Dice and a +5 BaB; it can go straight into Prestige classes.

1) Warblade is keyed off of Intelligence, your single worst ability score. Better idea is to play to your strengths

2) Yes, but diving feet-first into PrC isn't always a boon. Remember: you still have to qualify. Even dragons dip to qualify for prestige classes.

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-18, 09:17 PM
1) Warblade is keyed off of Intelligence, your single worst ability score. Better idea is to play to your strengths

Well, yes it's class features are. I just always felt that the Warblade's maneuver disciplines, full BAB and big HD made it appropriate for even Big Stupid characters; but I guess I'm wrong there.

2) Yes, but diving feet-first into PrC isn't always a boon. Remember: you still have to qualify. Even dragons dip to qualify for prestige classes.

Well, that's true when you're talking about PrCs that aren't insular and key heavily off of Base class class features.

War Mind comes to mind (not for this situation but as an example) for a PrC that's insular and is all around good almost regardless of entry.

Psyren
2011-10-18, 09:26 PM
Warblades don't need Int any more than Warlocks need Cha (possibly even less.) It's certainly nice to have but they can get along just fine without it.

*briefly contemplates troll/owlbear pairings*
*flees thread once more*