PDA

View Full Version : Dragon-Based Magic Items

Otacon17
2011-10-18, 12:10 AM
I'm currently DMing a Pathfinder game where my players live in a large city populated by a variety of different factions. There's not really an overarching plot; the story is driven by the way the characters interact with these different factions. It's sort of a small-scale sandbox-style game.

Anyway, one of the factions is made up of rich historians who want to "restore the city to it's former glory" by cleaning up landmarks and maybe opening a museum. They've started hiring out the PCs to retrieve artifacts for the museum - specifically, items belonging to an ancient hero who saved the city from a powerful dragon centuries ago. The hero's name was Nerez'Gahad, and he was a champion of Apsu (god of metallic dragons), so I want all of his gear to be dragon-related. So far, they've retrieved:

A magic orb that allows the user to ride dragons with ease
A magic spear that deals extra damage to chromatic dragons

What other cool dragon-based items should I cook up for this guy? I need some armor, a helm, maybe some boots and a ring, and whatever else people could think up.

NecroRebel
2011-10-18, 12:28 AM
Helm: Shaped like a dragon's head, this item allows you to jump really, really high, and protects you from falling damage (but doesn't protect your enemies from you falling on top of them) :smallwink:

Armor: Immunity to breath weapons of all sorts perhaps? A dragonslayer really should have some form of protection from the creatures' most emblematic weapon, and from the spear's property it sounds like you want the guy to have fought evil dragons often.

Ring: D&D dragons cause fear a lot, so perhaps immunity to fear. Alternatively, have it shaped like an ouroboros (serpent/dragon eating its own tail, traditional symbol of time/eternity) and give extra actions.

The-Mage-King
2011-10-18, 12:37 AM
The things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_teeth_(mythology)) that grow the wrong type of undead...

For the love of Io, if you sow Dragon Teeth, you damn well better get dragon's, not human skeletons.

Otacon17
2011-10-18, 12:56 AM
Helm: Shaped like a dragon's head, this item allows you to jump really, really high, and protects you from falling damage (but doesn't protect your enemies from you falling on top of them) :smallwink:

Armor: Immunity to breath weapons of all sorts perhaps? A dragonslayer really should have some form of protection from the creatures' most emblematic weapon, and from the spear's property it sounds like you want the guy to have fought evil dragons often.

Ring: D&D dragons cause fear a lot, so perhaps immunity to fear. Alternatively, have it shaped like an ouroboros (serpent/dragon eating its own tail, traditional symbol of time/eternity) and give extra actions.

So, um, NecroRebel... can we be best friends? Because anyone who mentions Dragoons and the ouroboros in the same post is pretty cool in my book. Great suggestions, too - immunity to breath weapons would be excellent...

Mage-King: I do like the idea of incorporating dragon's teeth (I'm a big fan of both mythology and Mass Effect), but I'm not sure exactly how to use it in this scenario. Perhaps the dead hero has a necklace of dragon's teeth? I'm not sure my players would think of burying them, though, and if they did they might not like having a cadre of powerful warrior DMPCs following them around.

NecroRebel
2011-10-18, 01:01 AM
So, um, NecroRebel... can we be best friends? Because anyone who mentions Dragoons and the ouroboros in the same post is pretty cool in my book. Great suggestions, too - immunity to breath weapons would be excellent...

I didn't mention Dragoons though :smallconfused: I just strongly implied the idea of FF Dragoons; big difference.

Otacon17
2011-10-18, 01:04 AM
I didn't mention Dragoons though :smallconfused: I just strongly implied the idea of FF Dragoons; big difference.

My mistake. I assumed the dragon-shaped helm that allows you to make jump attacks was a reference to the Dragoon class from the Final Fantasy series.

...and, wow, I totally missed the white text. Even after I quoted it. My bad :smallredface:

NecroRebel
2011-10-18, 01:10 AM
My mistake. I assumed the dragon-shaped helm that allows you to make jump attacks was a reference to the Dragoon class from the Final Fantasy series.

...and, wow, I totally missed the white text. Even after I quoted it. My bad :smallredface:

Minor troll successful! :smallbiggrin: But yes, it was a reference to that, I just didn't use the name. That you inferred it from my suggestion was intended, but that doesn't mean I said it!

The-Mage-King
2011-10-18, 01:19 AM
Mage-King: I do like the idea of incorporating dragon's teeth (I'm a big fan of both mythology and Mass Effect), but I'm not sure exactly how to use it in this scenario. Perhaps the dead hero has a necklace of dragon's teeth? I'm not sure my players would think of burying them, though, and if they did they might not like having a cadre of powerful warrior DMPCs following them around.

Ah, a kindred spirit.

Make it something like a seed pouch, with a certain number of them in there that wouldn't be unreasonable for minions. When they're thrown and a command word is spoken, (X) dragon warriors appear for (Y) hours/minutes/rounds, or until destroyed, which reverts them to teeth.

A similar command word auto-reverts them and returns the teeth to the bag.

Sound good?

Otacon17
2011-10-18, 01:26 AM
Ah, a kindred spirit.

Make it something like a seed pouch, with a certain number of them in there that wouldn't be unreasonable for minions. When they're thrown and a command word is spoken, (X) dragon warriors appear for (Y) hours/minutes/rounds, or until destroyed, which reverts them to teeth.

A similar command word auto-reverts them and returns the teeth to the bag.

Sound good?

Perfect! I love it.

Really great ideas so far, guys. Thanks!

Kol Korran
2011-10-18, 04:28 AM
A few more ideas, some what building on those mentioned. if i may:

A dragon head shaped helm? a bit different- it justs out a bit, and you can use it as an immeidate action when a dragon breaths on you- the dragon makes a for tcheck, and if he fails the breath is Sucked into the helm! the helm can store 3? 5? breaths that can then be used by the wearer (sort of like using your enemies weapons against them), with exactly the damage dice and DC of the original breath.

sure, it can't help against the specific dragon you're fighting, but it will help against others... (and the champion can also "receive" breaths from metalic dragons).

Armor: a blank immunity is nice in concept, but i assume you want the players to use it? if so it will make an awfully broken item. instead of immunity i suggest the following- resistance 20 (or 30) against most energy types, and an evasion ability, but just against breath weapons. (if the wearer has evasion, it improves to improved evasion) a bit more balanced?

the dragon's teeth:
i suggest a belt from which you can teear off tooth. butit works as follows- you can only have 1 tooth per dragon type on the ring, and you must get them from dragons you participated actively in killing. the teeth creats the skeleton of the dragon you killed (same HD, size and immunities). however, any tooth can be used once. (i suggest using the skeletal dragon from the Draconmicon)

other ideas:
Cape of flight: when in the presence of a dragon (300 ft? 500?) the cape enables you to fly, transforming into metalic dragon wings. 150 ft/ round, avergae maneuverability. it may also allow you to make wings attacks.

Amulet of the five:an amulet made out of the five mtals of the good dragons, which you can draw from (a total of 2? 3? 5? per day)to give you certain benefits. the idea is that they hold the souls ofgreat dragons who were willing to give their powers to this matter. you'll tailor it is ayou wish, but some suggestions:
- Brass (the talker): big bonus to diplomacy and sense motive, ability to understand and talk any language, SLA "suggestion".

- Copper (the trickster earth dragon): immunity to poison, big bonus to bluff and disguise, SLA "stone shape"

- Bronze (the sea dragon): Swim speed 40 ft, big bonus to survival and swim, SLA alter self

- Silver (social sky dragon): constant feather fall, small bonus to all social skills (diplomacy, bluff, intimidate, gather information), SLA Airwalk

- Gold (the powerful sage): small bonus to all knowledge skills (and they can be used untrained), luck bonus to saves, SLA "Divination".

plus, once per week/ two weeks/ 1 month the combined dragons may use other more powerful effects (that the player may need to choose from) some ideas:
- Commune/ contact other plane/ legend lore (any sort of prophetci like ability)
- Prismatic spray (more likely a "metalic spray" refluff as a sort of combined breath, refluff as necessery)
- the Spell compendium has "draconic ally" spells that might fit the bill, the elder dragons summoning a younger one to heed their call.

One last note:
i suggest that when the pieces are gathered, they make a sort of... "intelligent combo" gaining the protperties of one intelligent item for them all, growing in power (and ego and influence) the more are gathered. perhaps the echoes of the hero that was lost? for game sake you can say that the 2 items found were not enough, and start with the 3rd or 4th.

hope this helps! :smallwink:
Kol.

endoperez
2011-10-18, 08:03 AM
A few more ideas, some what building on those mentioned. if i may:

A dragon head shaped helm? a bit different- it justs out a bit, and you can use it as an immeidate action when a dragon breaths on you- the dragon makes a for tcheck, and if he fails the breath is Sucked into the helm! the helm can store 3? 5? breaths that can then be used by the wearer (sort of like using your enemies weapons against them), with exactly the damage dice and DC of the original breath.

sure, it can't help against the specific dragon you're fighting, but it will help against others... (and the champion can also "receive" breaths from metalic dragons).Kol.

The helmet should also give the wearer immunity to Fear and Fear-based effects, like the Paladin aura. How else could ANYONE bear the thought of having a friendly dragon do you a favor by firebreathing in your face.
Also, if you don't want the players knowing everything about it right away, perhaps it should let the user cast some minor fire spell once or twice a day/week/something. A helmet that gives immunity to fear and a few spells might not feel out of place, and it would also hint at the more unique power.

Edit: argh: "immunity to fire/fear", "bear/bare the thought", sometimes I hate English

Mastikator
2011-10-18, 09:16 AM
The Red Dragon Set
Wearing all of these items together grants a supernatural ability to shapeshange into a red dragon of the same hit dice with the same rules as per shapechange unless noted otherwise here (only red dragon shape, lasts 20 rounds, takes 1 full round action to transform forth and back)
This armor was crafted by the last dragon slain by the champion, imbued with his spirit and the dragons magic, each piece grants magical powers.
The Maw Of Fire (helmet) a helm shaped like a red dragon head, made of red dragon scale. Lets you use a breathe attack once per day, 6d10 fire damage cone, 30 ft range, DC 15 reflex half
The Red Bracers gives spell resistance 17, casts Fire Shield (red) once per day, cl 7
The Burning Claws (gloves) lets you make a slam or claw attack, always proficient, counts as a +1 keen fire, deals 1d8+1 slashing or bludgeoning +1d6 fire, 19-20 x2, casts burning hands at will cl 1 (DC 11)
The Fire Dragons Scales (curiass) +2 full plate, counts as medium armor -2 ACP, grants 20 fire resist and DR 3/-
The Walking Inferno (boots) Allows you to walk inside natural fire without taking damage, take half damage from lava
The wings of the scorcher (cloak) a cloak with an image of two wings of a red dragon, grants continuous feather falling (as per the spell)
The Teeth (longsword) a +3 fire longsword crafted from the dragons teeth, when used in combination with the gloves it turns into a +5 fiery burst longsword, damage from both the gloves's slash attack are added to the swords attack.
The Bones (large shield) a +3 large shield crafted from the bones of the dragon, can 5 times per day block incoming fire damage from a supernatural source (spells, fire breath, etc)
The Tongue a belt made of the tongue of the dragon, grants a +4 bonus to strength, constitution, intelligence and charisma

Anderlith
2011-10-18, 10:22 AM
A whip called "The Tail of the Wyrm" it can create a handful of wind spells & it's damage is that of the dragons tail when it was alive (not the damage of a whip)

Otacon17
2011-10-18, 11:33 AM
i assume you want the players to use it?

Right, I should probably explain that a bit - yes and no. I'm expecting my players to turn all this stuff over to the museum for cash rather than keep it for themselves. However, I plan on ending the campaign with them finding some kind of scroll with a prophecy, saying that in a month or so, a group of powerful dragons is going to attack the town (most likely descendants of the dragons slain by the hero, as a sort of belated revenge). Then, the characters will have a bit of time to prepare some defenses, and I'm assuming they'll want to grab all that sweet dragon-hunting armor they collected :smallwink: