PDA

View Full Version : Town classes

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 02:04 AM
About to start up playing in a city campaign. It is in a complete homebrewed world. I am not the GM but i did help create the world a few years ago. Anyway, the Goddess of Water is the patron deity of a very large semi sunken city (think venice meets coruscant). The city has grown to dark for her liking, so she has decided to bring back 3 hero's that were integral in the shaping of the city in the past. She occasionally snatches hero's off their deathbed, restores them to youth, and holds them in stasis in a watery womb for just such occasions. So anyway, the 3 players are re-birthed out of the watery womb of the Goddess and given a mandate to re-shape the cities direction. They must not use their former reputations to do so, and furthermore mustn't let their true identity be discovered.

The campaign should be chock full of political intrigue, powerful factions, turf wars, and other fun stuff. Their won't be much adventuring outside the city, and if their is it will take place in other cities or on the road to other cities.

There are some limitations on player choices though. And although i know what i am playing, some players might have a hard time choosing within the confines of the extra rules. So I am posting here to try to get info so i can give suggestions to them. So everyone will have the largest possible list of playable characters.

Anyway the rules are.

Starting at lvl 12

Gestalt- No dual classes allowed (mystic theurge, ect), No dual feats allowed (ascetic knight, ect.) unless they allow an effect that neither class provides. And the general point of the gestalt was to allow weaker classes with cooler roleplay to be covered by a functional class. So an example build would be to have a doppleganger mindspy on your extra gestalt side while you had a functional build on the normal side. You can use your gestalt lvls to cover Level adjustments and racial hit die but the template or monster race can't be too far away from a normal looking human. You can gestalt into 2 prestige classes simultaneously but one of them has to be a barely functional roleplay prestige class.

Roleplay must match background story with the water goddess thingy. So like a barbarian wouldn't likely be a hero who helped to shape this civilized cities path for instance.

No arcane caster's- all magic in this world comes from the Gods. Arcane casters are creatures who have learned that the God's were put in place to shepherd mortals and therefore cannot deny magic upon request. Therefore they are very powerful and usually NPC. All arcane casters eventually become lich-like creatures, as the God of Death uses a loophole to refuse them entry into the afterlife.

Divine caster's are tricky and restricted so while they are playable just ignore them for your input.

Bard is allowed and unrestricted and uses a different justification to fuel it's spells. Prestige classes that make them like sorcerers are not allowed.

So my question is, what are some good classes/PrC for a city based roleplay, intrigue, diplomatic, streetsmarts campaign like this, keeping in mind the gestalt for roleplay thing and all the special rules. Don't worry about setting specific stuff. If it fits then suggest it. We can change the fluff later.

I have thought over it loosely and seen stuff like doppleganger mindspy stuck onto something functional. And a swashbuckler scarlet corsair dread pirate stuck on sumthing functional. Possibly a knight/bardblade prestiging into tactical soldier or knight protector while maintaining his warblade lvls.

I dunno, lets just see what the masses come up with.

Psyren
2011-10-18, 02:13 AM
It sounds like you've functionaly banned both arcane and divine casters. What power sources are allowed? (That will help with any suggestions.) Incarnum, Psionics, Invocations, Binding, Shadowcasting, Truenaming? Or is it just ToB/Initiation in terms of extranormal stuff?

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 02:29 AM
It sounds like you've functionaly banned both arcane and divine casters. What power sources are allowed? (That will help with any suggestions.) Incarnum, Psionics, Invocations, Binding, Shadowcasting, Truenaming? Or is it just ToB/Initiation in terms of extranormal stuff?

Incarnum, invocations, binding, shadowcasting definately do not exist.

Psionics and truenaming might but not likely.

I don't know what /Initiation is.

And ToB is allowed but some of the flashier manuevers from shadowhand and the fire school are being restricted.

JaronK
2011-10-18, 02:33 AM
Are Factotums legal? If so, Factotum//Warblade would be able to handle every aspect of the intrigue and still throw down in a fight like there's no tomorrow, or be a brutal assassin. Some kind of Bard//Marshal could easily be both a great leader and a spy. Artificer would likely break the game wide open of course since all his competition is gone. A Binder of any sort would have had access to Zceryl (if that's allowed in your game) and would thus have been able to build the entire city on an off day.

JaronK

Coidzor
2011-10-18, 02:47 AM
And the general point of the gestalt was to allow weaker classes with cooler roleplay to be covered by a functional class.

Well, that's the first big red warning sign.

The second is that there's going to be combat & then effectively banning sources of healing.

If the DM is that burnt out & sick of casters, he may want to try a different system or give someone else a turn rather than muck about with the paradigm of the system he's using. :smallconfused:

The obligatory said, it looks like a great time to bring out Dragonforce: Bard, though I'm not quite sure what direction to take the ones that relied upon Sublime Chord in order to fill that vacuumn. Lyric Thaumaturge probably & maybe Wyrm Wizard too...

If divine spellcasters weren't effectively banned, urban rangers might be interesting, especially with urban companions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)...

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 04:27 AM
Well, that's the first big red warning sign. No one is asking you to play in the game. Intrigue games can be a lot of fun. And i personally, like the idea of using gestalt to cover weaker roleplay classes. There are a lot of cool class concepts that just don't quite have the oomph to be all the character does. I like the idea of having a normal strength build on one side and a gestalt roleplay build on the other.

The second is that there's going to be combat & then effectively banning sources of healing. Divine magic isn't banned. It just uses a different system and was too complex to explain. The short explanation is that the spells are limited by the God you worship. Water God would be healing, restorative, and water type spells. Also, bard's can make effective healers.

If the DM is that burnt out & sick of casters, he may want to try a different system or give someone else a turn rather than muck about with the paradigm of the system he's using. :smallconfused: What your saying would be like if someone decided to play a Ravenloft campaign to try out a horror style campaign and then got accused of being burnt out on casters because of the magical restrictions built into the setting. The limitations on casters has nothing to do with being burnt out on them. It is just part of the fluff of the world. Wizards are NPC crazy wierd systems like binders don't exist and clerics work differently. Magic is still there it is just different.

The obligatory said, it looks like a great time to bring out Dragonforce: Bard, though I'm not quite sure what direction to take the ones that relied upon Sublime Chord in order to fill that vacuumn. Lyric Thaumaturge probably & maybe Wyrm Wizard too...

If divine spellcasters weren't effectively banned, urban rangers might be interesting, especially with urban companions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)...

Urban ranger has the right feel. Mabe urban ranger/factotum prestige into that city guardian prestige class in races of destiny.

Coidzor
2011-10-18, 06:02 AM
No one is asking you to play in the game. Intrigue games can be a lot of fun. And i personally, like the idea of using gestalt to cover weaker roleplay classes. There are a lot of cool class concepts that just don't quite have the oomph to be all the character does. I like the idea of having a normal strength build on one side and a gestalt roleplay build on the other.

Ahh, your phrasing had me fooled, as it sounded a lot like "Let's play a game of 'Embrace the stormwind fallacy!'" My apologies.

What your saying would be like if someone decided to play a Ravenloft campaign to try out a horror style campaign and then got accused of being burnt out on casters because of the magical restrictions built into the setting. The limitations on casters has nothing to do with being burnt out on them. It is just part of the fluff of the world. Wizards are NPC crazy wierd systems like binders don't exist and clerics work differently. Magic is still there it is just different.

No, it's much like if someone decided to run a no-magic game using 3.5 and didn't demonstrate that they knew what kind of uphill slog they had to kludge the system into something enjoyable and playable with the paradigm so shifted out of whack. Such threads, born overwhelmingly from caster-hate/burn out, are common enough that it seemed the most likely source of your DM's stance, given what I had to go on from your OP and additional posts until now.

After your explanation of what was going on with divine casters, it seems you all have a better chance than most of getting something playable out of this.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 10:46 AM
Sorry to mislead you. Anyway, classes and prestige classes that remind you of city intrigue?

Telonius
2011-10-18, 10:54 AM
NPCs for fun and flavor:

Rogue
Ninja
Spymaster
Master of Masks
Thief-Acrobat
Exemplar
Master Inquisitive (normally crappy, but might be decent in gestalt and/or flavor)
Evangelist (see Master Inquisitive)