PDA

View Full Version : The Venting Thread

Choco
2011-10-18, 10:52 AM
Creating this as a place for people to just vent, rant, and rage about anything. Sure it may appear negative to some folks, but lets face it getting something off your chest is a very cathartic experience AND it provides great entertainment for everyone else!

May as well start:

Know what I really can't stand? People who seem to be against all forms of decency and hygiene (I'm thinking of more than a few of my fellow co-workers I have seen walk out of the bathroom after taking a dump without bothering to either flush the toilet or wash their hands), and then get offended at me and act like something is wrong with me because I refuse to shake their hand or share a chip bowl with them. Now I am by no means a clean freak, as anyone who has seen my apartment can testify to, but as low as they are even I have standards...

Any advice on how to better deal with that? I don't want to get into a he-said-she-said argument by outing them as dirty slobs, since I obviously can't prove what they do or don't do in the bathroom, but it's getting annoying coming up with excuses for not making any sort of direct or indirect physical contact with them.

Nargan
2011-10-18, 10:59 AM
Creating this as a place for people to just vent, rant, and rage about anything. Sure it may appear negative to some folks, but lets face it getting something off your chest is a very cathartic experience AND it provides great entertainment for everyone else!

May as well start:

Know what I really can't stand? People who seem to be against all forms of decency and hygiene (I'm thinking of more than a few of my fellow co-workers I have seen walk out of the bathroom after taking a dump without bothering to either flush the toilet or wash their hands), and then get offended at me and act like something is wrong with me because I refuse to shake their hand or share a chip bowl with them. Now I am by no means a clean freak, as anyone who has seen my apartment can testify to, but as low as they are even I have standards...

Any advice on how to better deal with that? I don't want to get into a he-said-she-said argument by outing them as dirty slobs, since I obviously can't prove what they do or don't do in the bathroom, but it's getting annoying coming up with excuses for not making any sort of direct or indirect physical contact with them.

Throwing in a curve ball. I hate it when people vent and don't keep a stiff upper lip. HATE IT SO MUCH.

Choco
2011-10-18, 11:05 AM
Throwing in a curve ball. I hate it when people vent and don't keep a stiff upper lip. HATE IT SO MUCH.

Heh, I guess it's different personalities or something, but I just can't see how it's possible to consider something as being venting when you are restraining yourself. That's just normal complaining to me. Maybe releasing a little bit of pressure, but hardly a full-blown vent.

Nargan
2011-10-18, 11:06 AM
Heh, I guess it's different personalities or something, but I just can't see how it's possible to consider something as being venting when you are restraining yourself. That's just normal complaining to me. Maybe releasing a little bit of pressure, but hardly a full-blown vent.

I don't think you got the irony :smallfrown:

Choco
2011-10-18, 11:07 AM
I don't think you got the irony :smallfrown:

Yeah I didn't, sorry... Long day...

Karoht
2011-10-18, 12:10 PM
What grinds my gears?

People who can't drive.
People who can't drive AND complain when the police pull them over for their inability to drive safely. Wanna know a great way to avoid speeding tickets? Don't speed. Don't whine to me when a cop pulls you over when you know full well what you were doing. Don't argue that it's a cash grab when you know full well what you were doing. If you break the rules you deserve to pay the idiot tax.
People who want me to handhold them through everything and complain that simple tasks are just too hard.
People who tell me to chill when I get mad at the incompetant morons who need me to handhold them through simple tasks.
People who think casual players of a game means poor players.
People who play games and are casual to the point where one has to wonder if they even pick up the controller at all, or if it's some ironic hipster thing to be so casual as to not even play at all, but still play the game.
People who do drugs, don't work, want handouts, but rail against others who want handouts. And how dare those who work ask for a helping hand once in a while.
People who slap the desk and knock papers around and stare expectantly at you when they are looking for a pen. Because slapping the desk like a monkey and making a mess is totally how one uses the english language (or any other) to communicate the need for something as simple as a pen.
Contract workers who claim to not know basic regulations for their industry (IE-Welders who don't know basic fire safety or fire codes, yet this is the first thing they teach) and who forget they have a guy called the Boss who they can go to at any time if they don't know what to do or how to do it, and instead chose to work poorly and/or unsafely.
Business owners who openly tell people that they don't play by the rules everyone else has to play by and how much of an advantage they have due to their loophole/workaround, who then complain when their business is no longer viable due to someone closing the loophole/workaround. Oh, and their accountants, who know that their clients are breaking the rules and keep silent.
Banks who thought that placing signs in their windows "come get your liar loans" was a good image to present to the public. Subsequently, the people who didn't think that a sign in their banks window saying "come get your liar loans" was a negative sign of some sort.
People who sign contracts without reading or understanding them.
People who don't understand the vast difference between fudging the details and outright lying or stealing.
People who think people like Chef Ramsay are rude when he freaks out because someone served him (or his customers) raw or even rancid food, as though people should just get their food poisoning and be happy about spending the next 6-24 hours vomitting. You have to be mentally ill to not tell when seafood has gone rancid (distinct smell, distinct color change, distinct texture, distinct slimey mess), and it's pretty darned obvious when chicken is raw in the center. Especially when Chef Ramsay himself has demonstrated to these people exactly how to do it right, foolproof, every time, and they STILL screw it up.
People who claim to understand the directions you just gave them, and demonstrate not 10 seconds later that they weren't paying attention whatsoever. A great test of this is explain to someone a very simple task, then ask them to explain it back to you, in their own words. 1 in 20 people pass this test when I explain to them the simple directions of, drive down THAT road, make your next right, STOP at the STOP sign and wait for assistance.
People who tell me to keep it all in, when I've been doing so my entire life, and keeping it in hasn't fixed anything, other than increase my bloodpressure.
People who say "lead by example" which doesn't work because other people are too self-absorbed.
People who think nitpicking and pedantic or semantical arguements are actual valid counters, rather than come back with meaning remarks.
People who think that ignoring the Laws of Physics is 'keeping an open mind'
People who binge drink, and will slander others (with remarks about their sexual orientation for example) who do not conform to that particular choice of lifestyle.
People who conform when it isn't even remotely in their best interests to do so.
People who refuse to conform when it's in their best interests to do so.
People who claim peaceful protests are peaceful, even after they've been caught red-handed being un-peaceful.
People who claim to be part of Annonamous, and threaten people with hacking and the like.
People who are actually dumb enough to fall for the above threat.
People who lack common sense. In fact, stupid people in general probably grind my gears universally. Only in rare cases (IE-When the person had no way of knowing something) does it not bother me.
People who endlessly complain about their crappy internet connection, yet post on forums, watch the latest youtube videos, and play MMO's.

And of course, my personal favorite...
People who suggest that I must be a negative person if I can come up with this many things to vent about.

This is before I break forum rules and vent about issues relate to religion or politics. Which I very nearly did without realizing it, quite a few times.

Choco
2011-10-18, 12:44 PM
People who want me to handhold them through everything and complain that simple tasks are just too hard.

Even worse than that? People who do this repeatedly and never pay attention while you are doing it. Why should they need to learn it when you are there to do it for them each time, after all?

People who tell me to keep it all in, when I've been doing so my entire life, and keeping it in hasn't fixed anything, other than increase my bloodpressure.

+1 to that. If you keep it all in, you will eventually explode... AND ON TOP OF THAT keeping it all in means nothing ever gets solved. I am so flippin sick and tired of people telling me to not point something out because it would be offensive. Just the fact that there are topics that are apparently too sensitive to discuss means that said topics will never be solved, due to no one being allowed to discuss them and work out the issues.

People who binge drink, and will slander others (with remarks about their sexual orientation for example) who do not conform to that particular choice of lifestyle.

And then when they or someone else you know suffer catastrophic consequences due to their choice of lifestyle (such as liver failure, prison, getting some nasty STD's, etc.) and you point out "see, that right there is why I don't do that and why I was trying to talk you out of it" they get violently mad at you. And of course then proceed to do the exact same **** all over again. I don't know what it is about idiots, but it seems the dumber a person is the more likely they are to become violently enraged at you when you point that out...

Oh and another one that REALLY pisses me off:

People who you are carpooling somewhere with (with you being the driver), who either show up extremely late or take forever to get ready without any warning and being unreachable the whole time. Then they get mad and tell you to stop being such an uptight douche when you chew them out for it after the 5th time. These jackasses fail to understand that it is not just THEIR time they are wasting, and on top of that you are the one doing THEM a favor.

Vent Reynolt
2011-10-18, 01:07 PM
Oh My Gosh guys! An entire thread devoted to me! I didn't know you cared so much!

Oh, guess it's not about me then. :smallfrown:

Oh well, you know what I can't stand? People who use screen-names that could easily be confused with commonly used words! :smallfurious:... :smalltongue:

May as well start:

But what if that person is evil? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZMlSZzUu8) You don't want to discriminate against people because they're evil do you?

In actual seriousness, I'd be disgusted too. Unfortunately, I don't think I can offer any helpful advice besides getting familiar with the locations of any hand sanitizing pumps nearby.

Karoht
2011-10-18, 01:43 PM
People who you are carpooling somewhere with (with you being the driver), who either show up extremely late or take forever to get ready without any warning and being unreachable the whole time. Then they get mad and tell you to stop being such an uptight douche when you chew them out for it after the 5th time. These jackasses fail to understand that it is not just THEIR time they are wasting, and on top of that you are the one doing THEM a favor.
Seconded.
I really get annoyed when I'm carpooling someone else, they can't be bothered to even offer to grab breakfast or coffee in the morning, or offer gas money.

When I worked at a bank...
An entire bus full of people pulled up. I'm not joking when I say this. The bus pulled up in front of our location, 3 people went somewhere else, the rest all came in to our bank to do their business. We were empty before they came in, but of course when 50 people show up in one great big lump, there will be a lineup. And there was, even though we had 8 tellers plus the manager out on the line. Wanna know what each and every one of them asked when they got to a teller?
"Why is there a lineup?"
I'm not making this up. Yes, people are that self obsorbed and oblivious.
Oh, and not one of them asked with a tone of voice that implied an honest question. They all asked with that annoyed "how dare you keep me waiting" tone of voice that removed any and all possibility of having a reasonable conversation.
If I didn't know any better, I'd say they did it on purpose. It's a better assumption than to assume that all 50 of them were mentally deficient to the point where they couldn't figure it out themselves.

Whiffet
2011-10-18, 01:54 PM
When I worked at a bank...
An entire bus full of people pulled up. I'm not joking when I say this. The bus pulled up in front of our location, 3 people went somewhere else, the rest all came in to our bank to do their business. We were empty before they came in, but of course when 50 people show up in one great big lump, there will be a lineup. And there was, even though we had 8 tellers plus the manager out on the line. Wanna know what each and every one of them asked when they got to a teller?
"Why is there a lineup?"
I'm not making this up. Yes, people are that self obsorbed and oblivious.
Oh, and not one of them asked with a tone of voice that implied an honest question. They all asked with that annoyed "how dare you keep me waiting" tone of voice that removed any and all possibility of having a reasonable conversation.
If I didn't know any better, I'd say they did it on purpose. It's a better assumption than to assume that all 50 of them were mentally deficient to the point where they couldn't figure it out themselves.

:smallmad: Oh, humanity, I want to like you. Why must you make it so hard?

Sipex
2011-10-18, 01:56 PM
I wholly endorse this thread. Venting is a good, natural thing.

Also, that is a lot of venting Karoht. Good stuff.

List of things which I could rant about for hours:
- People who rant about the evils of 'the system' but don't actually understand how complicated running a country is. Instead X politician must be a total screw up because he can't wield an unwieldy system which you don't even understand fully!
- People who use the word Sheeple seriously.
- People who think big companies are 'teh evul' and indie companies are equivalent to the second coming of christ. Mind, I don't mind this if you have a real reason for hating the company but most of the time you get vague answers which can't be proven either way like "They don't care about their customers."
- Customers who try to use strong arm tactics (ie: Yelling) to get what they want.
- Managers who let them.
- The current state of cable/internet/phone in my area. The two main companies in my area are far too expensive for the limits imposed. Especially via bandwidth (which was recently found out to be far FAR overpriced in my area).
- House mates who start huge downloads while I'm gaming online, killing my dl/ul speeds. It's not like I'm constantly online, I play halo once or twice a week, there's still the majority of the week left to download!
- People who use a popular saying in an arguement and think it means 'I win'.
- People who think identifying your method of arguement completely invalidates it...or they compare it to something OMG BAD (racism) for the same results.
- People who think arguements are a thing to be won. Especially when the arguement is an intellectual debate. If you're wrong, you're wrong. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it!
- Fanboys (console/OS/edition/etc) who are bent on kicking the opposing (console/OS/edition/etc) whenever they can. Why can't it ever be "Your X has it's strengths but doesn't do Y so I use a different X which has it's own strengths and does Y"? No, instead "Your X does all these things but since it doesn't do Y all those other things must be horrible. Long live my X!"

edit: The guy who feels the unnecessary need to butt in and debunk anything which is creepy/spooky/paranormal without being asked.

Karoht
2011-10-18, 01:59 PM
:smallmad: Oh, humanity, I want to like you. Why must you make it so hard?I like to think it was a test by 50 secret shoppers at once. I'm glad to report that none of my line responded to the question with even the SLIGHTEST hint of negative tone. If anything, they laid the positive empathetic tone on extra thick. "Oh, I'm sorry you had to wait, everyone's concern is important to us, we're trying to serve everyone as fast as we can and still see to all of their needs, your patience is appreciated."
All the tellers of my line had that taped to all of their monitors. I just typed it out by heart.
So if they were secret shoppers, who just all happened to take a bus to the same bank, I'm pretty sure we passed.
*Hint* They weren't secret shoppers. Thats why this story is in the venting thread.

You know what grinds my gears?
The fact that we have to talk like that and tiptoe around hurt feelings in light of the person who just spoke to us rudely, all in the name of customer service. Because people don't shop at stores that tell them that they're being complete idiots for any number of objectional offences.

I sincerely do believe that the 'kid gloves' approach that the service industry has taken is to blame for much of the stupidity of this planet. Because rather than tell someone that they're being jerks and kicking them out of the store, the service industry would rather trip over itself appeasing the customer so they'll keep buying the junk from the store.

FYI. The customer is NOT always right. The customer has the benefit of the doubt. If customers were always right, there would be free products available everywhere by now. The customer is entitled to the benefit of the doubt and fair treatment, that is all they are entitled to.

Sipex Wrote:
People who think big companies are 'teh evul' and indie companies are equivalent to the second coming of christ. Mind, I don't mind this if you have a real reason for hating the company but most of the time you get vague answers which can't be proven either way like "They don't care about their customers."Arrrg I hate that. I hate when the do it with politicians as well.

Ever have this conversation?
"I won't vote for X because X supports issue Y and I'm against issue Y"
"Um, X hasn't even brought up issue Y in 9 years, and hasn't supported a single motion to reinforce issue Y. How is X supporting Y?"
"You watch, he's going to *blah blah blah* and then we'll all be walking around in tutu's and rainbow socks if X has his way"

PS-Don't know if this breaks the forum rules on talking about politics or not, if so I'll take this down. I figure it's vague enough, and it's not really talking politics so much as the actions of people, but if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Starwulf
2011-10-18, 02:14 PM
People who endlessly complain about their crappy internet connection, yet post on forums, watch the latest youtube videos, and play MMO's.

Sniff Sniff, so hurtful! rofl, nah. I complain about mine, but I don't watch youtube, and the last MMO I played was made for Dial-up(and had endless amounts of people complain because there wasn't much of a difference lagwise between dial-up and dsl(FFXI).

Things to vent about:

Crappy drivers who pull out right in front of you and then expect you to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting them, then flip you off when you honk your horn at them.

That's about it. lol. Oh, no, wait: People who constantly call me a hermit and detached from the world because I don't have a facebook page, or any other sort of social networking thing. Just because I don't feel the need to update everyone who knows me of my every little move, doesn't mean I don't know what's happening in the world at large.

polity4life
2011-10-18, 02:24 PM
Karoht,

I worked in financial services for five years (two as a teller, one as a receptionist/loan officer, two as a loan officer). I also work in a state where the creditor who holds the lien for a vehicle is not legal obligated to hold onto the title. Financial institutions may but do so at their own risk. The industry standard then is to give the legal owner the title and put the onus of responsibility of maintaining that document in their hands.

Well, this one guy came in hot under the collar about his title, claiming we have it. I calmly explained that we do not hold onto them and, at most, we have a photo copy for our records to demonstrate that, at the time of the loan, all proper documentation was had and said documentation demonstrated the financial institution as lien holder. He responds with, "So you must be the idiot I spoke to"

I was up on my feet in a second, in his face, explaining the error in calling me an idiot to my face and that I would check with the manager to see if any special arrangement had been made concerning the title. Turns out that the manager did have the title, and neglected to tell me this person who has very specific, non-regular business with us was coming in. He goes on back, talks to the manager, then comes on back to my desk and slams the title against it to show that we did indeed have it. I was out of my chair going for the security door until my manager shoved a cigarette in my hand and showed me to the back door for a fifteen minute cooldown.

There was another gem of a time where a woman and her husband went to another country for a week without cash. They only came with their debit card. Really? Yes, really. And when our server lost connection with the company that handles our card-related services, it was naturally our fault and more specifically my fault since I was on the phone with her. On a sidenote, in the coming months I established a great relationship with her after that and she was one of my regulars. Funny how that worked.

Financial services likely represent the most soul crushing form of labor in the Western world. You are paid to lie with the utmost sincerety and fail due to systemic and/or intrinsic issues well beyond your control. This isn't naivete about the future or the market; this is endorsed shennanigans.

Your job is to make people smile about your taking of their funds either through service fees or interest rates which are often times not very competitive. Whatsmore, when you do good work (i.e. establish meaningful relationships with customers/members for repeat business), you are punished for not closing by management. Lastly, those who are new or do not share a business relationship with you personally are completely ignorant to the processes involved in banking. To that end, I also feel for any pharmacist or pharmacy tech that works in a drug store.

Choco
2011-10-18, 02:29 PM
bus story

God, that happened ALL THE TIME when I worked at Burger King... Apparently this is common practice in fast food, but the place I worked at had a habit of sending people home early when it got quiet, and calling them and others back in when it got busy. So one slow Sunday there are only 2 of us grunts and 1 manager in the whole store, when 3 flippin buses pull into the parking lot. The manager is in his office desperately trying to get more people in, so it is up to my friend at the counter and me in the kitchen to deal with The Mob. And sure enough just like the bank story, they were all rude and indignant about it...

Crappy drivers who pull out right in front of you and then expect you to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting them, then flip you off when you honk your horn at them.

This, except also on icy roads...

And on the topic, what really pisses me off is when someone is OBVIOUSLY in such a hurry that they must rush to cut you off (when there is no car behind you), and then they proceed to go like 10mph slower than you were going on a road where it is impossible to pass them. That is one situation where I am soooo glad I don't carry any lethal projectile firing weapons on me, cause if I did they may get some use....

And some more....

People like this (http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-07-11/?Page=5).

Customers who use management's appeasement policies as an excuse to power trip and just be vicious towards random grunt employees, knowing if they retaliate in any way they will be fired.

People who don't have even a surface-level understanding of a topic and yet feel that knowledgeable people should have to listen to and respect their opinions. They of course always get mad when you point out they don't know what they are talking about, even if you do it in a nice way and try to educate them.

People who ask you for help on something, and of course everything you try to do or suggest they automatically throw out for whatever reason.

People who ask you for help on something, then proceed to tell you they are not newbies and they know what they are doing as they force you to silently watch them try to do something that could be fixed in 10 seconds if they just listened to you.

EDIT:

Oh, and how could I forget one of my personal favorites:

When you are in a foul mood in general and get forced into some argument that there is no escape from. You keep trying to do the "walk away and cool down" thing because you know it is not a good idea to argue in your current state of mind. Try as you might, the other person will not just let you walk away. You even inform the other person that this should be put on hold until both of you calm down, but that just makes them even worse. Of course said other person is always someone with some authority over you preventing you from just leaving (parent, boss/manager, spouse, etc.) until THEY are satisfied you have had enough. And when you inevitably snap and do/say something hurtful to make them just shut up and leave you alone, you are the villain and it is all your fault, and you need to apologize...

Eon
2011-10-18, 03:22 PM
People that act like Umadbro is the perfect response to a logical argument.

The immature children that surround me in class that can't handle basic concepts in class, and feel the need to vocalize their opinions constantly.

People that block the halls because they have a really important conversation that must take place in a place that blocks most of the hall.

People that walk reaaaaaallly slowly in a line so you can't pass them.

Teachers that just assign a worksheet or a reading to do in class and then sit and browse the internet the whole hour, and get mad when you ask them for a clarification.

When people don't understand the concept that I might have my own homework to do and don't have time to explain to them for the sixth time what to do on the homework, after they sit and practically ignore you showing them what to do in an attempt for you to do the entire assignment for them.

And so... So much more...

Karoht
2011-10-18, 03:26 PM
@Polity
I work at a Canadian Credit Union, just for reference.

I can't count the number of times I have gone above and beyond the call to save people money, or refund charges that we charged in error, or any number of times I've helped someone. Within the week of saving this person X dollars (x is any integer between 0.01 and 10,000.00) they walk in and the first words out of their mouth are "why did you steal my money?"

Investigation always, always reveals that the person spent the money somewhere, and just forgot, and didn't bother looking at their statement or at their account online.
But do you think a single person ever apologizes for making the accusation that I, the teller, who has saved them money before, has helped them in a bind, was the one who stole their money? Not on your life.
And how dare you suggest that this person owes you an apology.

I'll admit, I didn't have the guts to suggest that the person should apologize, not any time it ever happened, though I did have one nice old lady (who was on 5 different kinds of meds for dementia) apologize to me immediately once I pointed out her error. I shrugged, accepted it, we both moved on.
But I never had the guts to ever prompt for it. Partly because I witnessed as one lady freak out on one of my tellers for 30 minutes because she suggested that the person apologize for baselessly accusing her of theft or fraud. Manager was smart enough to tell this person to hit the road, but had this person had any decent sum of money to her name I'm not entirely sure that manager or teller would have had a job after that.
I should specifiy that the management I worked with was very supportive with incidents like this, but even then, had that person been someone of wealth rather than not, odds are those two would have been fired once that person talked to someone higher up and threw some weight around.

In Gaming:
In World of Warcraft
People who talk about 2 week old patch notes as though they are breaking news. These same people are always asking very simple questions that could be answered with a 5 second search. Then the argue with you about the answer as if they already know what the real answer is.
I fully expect to hear a few certain people in my guild say "wow, did you guys hear about the reveals at Blizzcon?" and they'll ask this question around christmas. Blizzcon is this weekend.

People who need to ask every question that ever pops into their head to one person. Rather than ask the group, or the guild. Nope, all the questions that I have ZERO involvement in, people will ask me. What's worse is that they'll phrase it in such a way that they could just have easily asked the group or the guild rather than me, but no, they ask me and only me, the guy who can't answer their question. Then they think I'm being a jerk when I say "that's a perfect question for the group/guild."

And of course, because it's WoW, people who stand in fire. But, that goes without saying. This just in. Fire still hot.

Non-Gaming:
People who drive trucks and have to take up 4 spaces at once at the mall.
People who's job it is to give tickets to people who park incorrectly and for whatever reason do not give tickets to the giant jerkfaces who park their massive ego-display of a truck in 4 spaces.

Whiffet
2011-10-18, 05:05 PM
Every person should hold at least one job where they have to deal with customers. If it's been long enough that they forgot what it's like, they need to do it again. This thread would have been nice to have around a while back when I was really pissed about something. A lady walked into the ice cream parlor, insisted I put more milk into her milkshake because she didn't want it too solid, and started whining to me about how her milkshake was too runny after I gave it to her. She wouldn't leave until I gave her back her money. It was her attitude and tone the whole time that really made me mad. If you've held a service job, you should know exactly what I mean. It's been a few months, but since then no one has pissed me off as much as she did.

And on the topic, what really pisses me off is when someone is OBVIOUSLY in such a hurry that they must rush to cut you off (when there is no car behind you), and then they proceed to go like 10mph slower than you were going on a road where it is impossible to pass them. That is one situation where I am soooo glad I don't carry any lethal projectile firing weapons on me, cause if I did they may get some use....

I rarely get cut off. The only thing I commonly see while driving that bugs me are the people who think I'm going too slow and start tailgating me even though I'm already going over the speed limit. Many drivers around here are other college students, so I'm often the slowest on the road. :smalltongue:

People that block the halls because they have a really important conversation that must take place in a place that blocks most of the hall.

People that walk reaaaaaallly slowly in a line so you can't pass them.

Teachers that just assign a worksheet or a reading to do in class and then sit and browse the internet the whole hour, and get mad when you ask them for a clarification.

Heh, I remember those. People blocked the hall all the time. It drove me nuts. And the teachers... ugh... I would have taken more Spanish classes if not for one of those teachers. I had one when I took Spanish II my first year in high school, and it was so awful that when I realized I had a good chance of getting her again for Spanish III, I abandoned the whole thing.

Karoht
2011-10-20, 01:14 PM
Contract workers and repair people.

So someone, somewhere, called company X and most likely explained their entire problem fully to whoever answered the phone.
Somewhere, between fully explaining their problem and giving information so that a service agent could come down and fix their problem, and the person actually arriving on site, all that information is lost.

Contractors come to where I work all the time. And they all get directed to me at one point. Do you think they know what they are here to fix? No. Do you think they know the name or phone number of a contact who knows what they are here to fix? No.

You spend 20 minutes giving information to someone on the phone, and either the person taking the call or the person dispatching the service agent decides to pass along precisely zero information to the person they send, or the person they sent didn't bother to bring or remember any of that information when they went to visit the client.

So of course, when these people show up, I pretty much have to phone every single person on site with a phone, to track down what this person is here to fix and who to pass them on to. And you know for a fact that they are billing you for every second they are on your property, so this does nothing but pad the bill.

Or when they contractor shows up, they ask the dumbest question I could possibly imagine, typically right after I finish explaining the problem to them (probably the 5th person in the chain of people explain what it is not doing properly, like turning on).
"So what's wrong with it?"
The thing is, I wouldn't have a problem if this was the first question they asked. But when I've called in an alarm specialist because an alarm is firing off all the time when there isn't a fire, and they ask 'so what is wrong with it' I honestly want to punch them.
IF I KNEW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT I WOULD FIX IT MYSELF AND SAVE MYSELF THE WASTED TIME OF CALLING YOUR COMPANY TO COME AND FIX IT!!!!

I thought customer service was about saving customers time and money and effort. Silly me.

Nargan
2011-10-20, 01:38 PM
Contract workers and repair people.

So someone, somewhere, called company X and most likely explained their entire problem fully to whoever answered the phone.
Somewhere, between fully explaining their problem and giving information so that a service agent could come down and fix their problem, and the person actually arriving on site, all that information is lost.

Contractors come to where I work all the time. And they all get directed to me at one point. Do you think they know what they are here to fix? No. Do you think they know the name or phone number of a contact who knows what they are here to fix? No.

You spend 20 minutes giving information to someone on the phone, and either the person taking the call or the person dispatching the service agent decides to pass along precisely zero information to the person they send, or the person they sent didn't bother to bring or remember any of that information when they went to visit the client.

So of course, when these people show up, I pretty much have to phone every single person on site with a phone, to track down what this person is here to fix and who to pass them on to. And you know for a fact that they are billing you for every second they are on your property, so this does nothing but pad the bill.

Or when they contractor shows up, they ask the dumbest question I could possibly imagine, typically right after I finish explaining the problem to them (probably the 5th person in the chain of people explain what it is not doing properly, like turning on).
"So what's wrong with it?"
The thing is, I wouldn't have a problem if this was the first question they asked. But when I've called in an alarm specialist because an alarm is firing off all the time when there isn't a fire, and they ask 'so what is wrong with it' I honestly want to punch them.
IF I KNEW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT I WOULD FIX IT MYSELF AND SAVE MYSELF THE WASTED TIME OF CALLING YOUR COMPANY TO COME AND FIX IT!!!!

I thought customer service was about saving customers time and money and effort. Silly me.

When repair work needs doing, ask yourself the following question:

Would you rather have vladimir, who is on time, efficient, and will throw in an extension for £5, or would you rather have john, who turns up half an hour late, pisses in your sink, and generally does an overpriced, crap job.

And then john wonders what kind of a world this is where a foreigner took his job.

Blue Ghost
2011-10-20, 01:46 PM
I hate the world. :smallfurious:

Any dolt with half a brain
Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don’t know if I’ll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the watermain.

Listen close to everybody’s heart
And hear that breaking sound
Hopes and dreams are shattering apart
And crashing to the ground

I cannot believe my eyes
How the world’s filled with filth and lies
but it’s plain to see evil inside of me
is on the rise.

Nargan
2011-10-20, 01:51 PM
I hate the world. :smallfurious:

Any dolt with half a brain
Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don’t know if I’ll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the watermain.

Listen close to everybody’s heart
And hear that breaking sound
Hopes and dreams are shattering apart
And crashing to the ground

I cannot believe my eyes
How the world’s filled with filth and lies
but it’s plain to see evil inside of me
is on the rise.

<3 Doctor Horrible. I always listen to the songs when playing as a character called "Dr. Mundo" in league of legends.

Blue Ghost
2011-10-20, 01:51 PM
<3 Doctor Horrible. I always listen to the songs when playing as a character called "Dr. Mundo" in league of legends.

I mean all of it. Every line, every verse. I'm sick and tired of giving up my life and well-being for this depraved race.

Derjuin
2011-10-20, 01:55 PM
Mental dissonance/victim blaming.

Assumptions (mostly incorrect ones).

Customers that don't know what they want, so they just say the name of something on the menu, AND CONFIRM IT AFTER I POINT TO THE PICTURE, and then complain when I give them "the wrong item".

My parents. Various reasons, mostly verbal abuse and neglect related.

Sipex
2011-10-20, 01:57 PM
I mean all of it. Every line, every verse. I'm sick and tired of giving up my life and well-being for this depraved race.

So, your alignment is going to change to Lawful Horrible?

Blue Ghost
2011-10-20, 02:00 PM
So, your alignment is going to change to Lawful Horrible?

*sigh*

I want to be good... But it hurts so much.

Helanna
2011-10-20, 03:47 PM
- Customers who try to use strong arm tactics (ie: Yelling) to get what they want.
- Managers who let them.

HOLY CRAP YES. I can't even tell you how many times I've been arguing with a customer for five minutes, with the customer screaming and swearing at me, and I'm just doing my job because of the store policy, and then a manager comes down and says "Oh, just go ahead and do it, you have to take care of the customer".

Because, you know, people will stop shopping here if we don't let them pull over what's obviously a scam on us. And it's hard to respect a manager that'll let customers get away with whatever they want, because they don't want to deal with it, not to mention that it makes me look like a moron who doesn't know what she's doing.

For example (This is long - dammit this is a vent thread and I'm gonna vent!):

A couple weeks ago, a customer came in wanting to return a bike without a receipt. He left to go get a replacement bike, and me and the customer service manager (CSM) inspected the one he brought in. Every single metal piece on the bike looked to be made out of rust, and it looks like it's a year old.

So when the guy comes back, the CSM tells him that we can't take the bike back because it's in such poor shape. The guy says "Well of course it's rusted, we just leave it outside. We only bought it a month ago though and the brakes are broken." *Facepalm*. So the CSM tells him that that's not Walmart's fault. Throughout the entire thing, she has been nothing but polite and nice to him.

This guy's attitude was awful and extremely condescending, and he demands to speak to someone "Bigger than you". So she calls a manager down. The entire time this guy is talking about how he knows how this works and we're going to get credit from the bike company anyway (not true) and so there's no reason not to return it.

So two managers come down, and they're looking at it, and considering, and talking to him, and at one point the CSM tries to say something. The guy turns around and says "No, I'm not dealing with you anymore. You had your chance and you wouldn't help me, so I'm not listening to you." Right in front of the managers, and not one of them said a word. And then they made us go ahead and do the return.

I took off and made a coworker do it, because there was a good chance otherwise I would have flat out told the manager that I wasn't going to help the customer because of how incredibly rude he'd been throughout the entire thing. It would've made me feel a lot better, but also, I really need to not be fired.

Karoht
2011-10-20, 04:14 PM
Mental dissonance/victim blaming.Oh yeah, that too.
Because s/he was totally asking for it right? <--Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Assumptions (mostly incorrect ones).I didn't assume that you would detect my sarcasm above.

Customers that don't know what they want, so they just say the name of something on the menu, AND CONFIRM IT AFTER I POINT TO THE PICTURE, and then complain when I give them "the wrong item"./facepalm
Really people? Really?

Though in the defence of the fast food industry, their end product hardly looks like the advertisements anymore, so I suppose a customer could be less to blame if that occured. On the other hand, when you point to a fillet-o-fish and they wanted a Big Mac...
(As example, I'm not assuming you're talking about McDonalds)

My parents. Various reasons, mostly verbal abuse and neglect related.I was in that situation. My sympathies.

Eruantion
2011-10-20, 08:44 PM
The immature children that surround me in class that can't handle basic concepts in class, and feel the need to vocalize their opinions constantly.

When people don't understand the concept that I might have my own homework to do and don't have time to explain to them for the sixth time what to do on the homework, after they sit and practically ignore you showing them what to do in an attempt for you to do the entire assignment for them.

And so... So much more...

IRN:

The people who take their online classes in the same room as me, don't understand their class, talk about football the whole time and complain about how they're falling behind. If I hear "Cam Newton" one more time, I'm going to break a computer over their head. Also, when someone asks them to be quiet because they're taking a test, they tell them to put in headphones :smallmad:

Also, every self-centered person in my school who takes themselves too seriously and thinks they're above things like, say, decorating the school for homecoming.

Raddish
2011-10-20, 10:15 PM
The only thing I hate at the moment is when someone refuses to tell you what they mean, expecting you to somehow psychicly link to their way of thinking and rip out the knowledge directly and then gets argumentative and starts swearing when you ask about it or infer wrongly instead of the easy option which would of course be to actually explain.

I failed my mind-reading class at school not everyone has a masters in psychic thought stealing...

Objection
2011-10-20, 11:03 PM
Dishonesty, unless it's part of a game (though I don't particularly enjoy games that revolve around dishonesty).

"I don't think you should know the truth, but instead of telling you this, I'll conjure up some lie to throw you off the scent so you never find out that ..." is the underlying message of a lie. Why exactly should this person not know the truth? Is this a truth that would perhaps expose you as a vile being? Then it's not that they shouldn't know, it's that you don't want them to know (and if you're in some kind of relationship with this other person, then really they should know). Is this a truth that points out a flaw in them or their work? Then they should know so that they can do something about this flaw.
Are you planning some kind of nice surprise for them? Then you should be able to give away some details without ruining it, and for the rest, just tell them that they'll find out soon. And even if there is a valid reason why someone should not know the truth, like the oft-cited example of a homicidal maniac asking you if your friend is in the house, what's wrong with telling them that they shouldn't know the truth or, better yet, asking why they want to know first?

I just don't see why lying is necessary unless for some greater evil.

And then there's those people who genuinely can't handle the truth. We're not in utopia here. Sometimes, the truth will be unpleasant. Either accept it or do something productive about it. Anything else is just a waste of your energy, especially whining and crying about it (unless the truth is you don't do enough whining and crying). For example, if you're fat, then either accept that you're fat or do something that will help you to stop being fat.

ghost_warlock
2011-10-21, 06:14 AM
I just don't see why lying is necessary unless for some greater evil.

It's necessary because it's fun? In fact, I'm lying right now! :smallbiggrin:

On topic for thread, I'm disgusted with one of my roommates, who "can't afford" to pay me his portion of rent this month, but can afford booze, smokes, other smokes, and paying for time on the computers at the gaming lounge to play LoL. Furthermore, he spent the last three days lounging around the house playing Playstation and messing the place up, but doesn't have the time with his 16-hour-per-week-job to carry the empty cans he left laying around the living room to the bin in the kitchen, clean his dirty dishes, or pick up his cat's crap off the carpet. Meanwhile, his girlfriend (my other roommate) is working two jobs and going to school, yet still has to buy all their food and clean up after him.

polity4life
2011-10-21, 08:24 AM
It's an oldie but a goodie: Driving.

I live in an area where puiblic transit may as well be non-existent (in fact, the only viable option apart from private companies just lost another 20% of its budget recently). The city itself isn't the commercial hub it used to be, resulting in a sprawl of places of note in the suburbs surrounding. I'm talking about Detroit.

Now, one doesn't need to own a car to survive in this area but living without one necessitates an overhaul of ones lifestyle. As such, it isn't uncommon to see households with four or five vehicle owners. That means a great number of people are driving and driving often, which means people have many opportunities to hone their driving skills. At this point, any driver who has been on the road for more than five years should know the basics of driving and understand the "culture" of some roads. Nope!

Evidently its taxing to look, coordinate your arms and feet, and pay attention to your surroundings. This surprises me considering how much time on the road people typically spend in this area. So any given time I have to drive, which is everyday, many times per day, I have to ask myself some questions upon observing the air-stealing masses that clumsily propel machines weighing many hundreds or thousands of pounds down the road:

How can you not know how to drive?

How can you not know that everyone drives at least 10 mph over on some roads? Conversely, how can you not know that you're in an established speed trap?

How can you not understand that it's safer to drive with the flow of traffic, even if the flow is breaking the law, until you can leave the flow?

How is it useful to signal a lane change after you have done your lane change?

How is it safe to cross four lanes of traffic in less than a quarter mile to reach your exit when you could simply exit at the next?

How is it sensible to make a left hand turn from the right-most lane? On the otherside of the coin, how is it sensible to make a right hand turn from the left-most lane?

How is it safe to drive below the minimal speed limit (i.e. driving 40 mph on a 70 mph highway when the minimum speed limit is 45)?

Does it make sense to have materials in the bed of your hill billy-mobile that are not tied down when you do not own a bed cover or a door to your bed?

Do people not understand that maintaining a position in someone's blind spot is fundamentally a bad idea?

And so on and so forth.

Choco
2011-10-21, 08:46 AM
Forums where it's OK to support one side of a hot-button issue, but not the other. They claim to be tolerant, yet as soon as you say something that the mods/admins disagree with, you are getting shut down... (and since I know someone will read too much into this, no I am not referring to GitP, the forums in question are actually all based in Germany, where they are notorious for their censorship)

People who tout themselves as the shining example of tolerance, yet go out of their way to shut down, insult, and degrade any opinions that they do not agree with. Yet when someone else does this to them, they are the first to scream intolerance and hate.

A legal system that seems to protect the rights of criminals over the rights of their victims.

People who have never had a real problem in their lives who can't shut up about how horrible their lives are.

The Succubus
2011-10-21, 08:57 AM
You know what really grinds my gears? Getting the stick jammed between third and fourth.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Being serious, IT related issues are a pet hate of mine. I taught myself all I know about computers over a long period of years and I know a *lot*, not to be boastful.

And yet...once this secret slips out in the workplace, you may as well suck on the cold, meaty filling of a shotgun sandwich for you will never know rest otherwise.

"Can you help me plug my computer in the wall? I've got this mains extension lead and all these mains plugs from the computer but I don't know what to do!"

"Why can't I print from this computer?"
"Do you have a printer plugged in?"
"No, is that important?"

"I've received this .pdf file from someone, why can't I edit it in Micrsoft Word?"
"PDFs are made by a different program called Adobe."
"Oh ok.....so how do I edit it in Microsoft Word?"
"You need a copy of Adobe to edit them."
"So why can't I edit it in Microsoft Word?"

Usually after conversations like that, I treat to my room, lock the door for a bit and then walk out again a few minutes later with a keyboard imprinted on my forehead. :smallfurious:

Sipex
2011-10-21, 09:11 AM
Amen on the tech problems. I hate being the tech guy.

Anyone read the cracked article "The 6 reasons why the person fixing your computer hates you"? It's absolutely true (although hate is a strong word in this sense but all the annoyances that they outline are incredibly true).

banjo1985
2011-10-21, 09:21 AM
Oh gods, I love this kind of thread, as an Englishman I'm scientifically proven to only be happy when I'm moaning about something. :smallbiggrin:

- Uninsured drivers who say they're uninsured because "it's too expensive". Yes, it is too expensive, but do you know why its too expensive? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT INSURED AND WHEN YOU HIT SOMEONE US LAW ABIDING FOLKS HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR CRAP! IF YOU WERE INSURED IT WOULD BE CHEAPER FOR EVERYONE! :smallfurious:

- Being categorised as a 'boy racer' because I happen to be a male under 30.

- Being looked down on for joining a gym, as if I should be ashamed of wanting to improve my general health.

- Adjoining that, guys who insist on wandering around the changing rooms naked. Yes, yes, I'm sure the girls would be delighted, but I don't want to see it! Flaunting your masculinity in no way makes you superior; get used to it and put some damn pants on. :smallyuk:

- Ranters and ravers. No, just because you can repeat your opinions ad infinitum and at high volume, that doesn't make them right.

- On the same note, people who don't listen and then think it's your fault. Yes, I did send you that email you're now ranting and raving about, two weeks ago in fact. And I chased it last week, and left you an answerphone message just yesterday. No, it's not my fault you didn't bother to read or listen to any of it.

- People who think you have to drink to have a good time, and will attempt to make you see the error of your ways for not agreeing with that falsehood. I barely drink and my wife is tee-total. THAT DOES NOT MAKE US BORING YOU UNIMAGINATIVE DRUNK MORONS. The only difference is that when we do something fun we remember it the next morning, and wake up fully functional to boot.

- Sandwich shops that put mayo on everything, which is most places. If I don't like mayo, what the heck am I supposed to do about it?

...I think that'll do for now. :smalltongue:

Valameer
2011-10-21, 09:30 AM
I taught myself all I know about computers over a long period of years and I know a *lot*, not to be boastful.

Hear, hear. *pounds desk*

My friends and family assume that I'm more intelligent than them because I'm quiet and intellectual (/= IQ). I've taken pain-staking efforts to finally portray myself as tech-dumb to them, so that they'll stop asking me for help with every IT problem they have. It took some doing, but thank heavens it's finally paid off.

Besides, any fool can solve 95% of their own tech problems using Google.

The only thing Google can't solve is "I only have one computer and what happened to my internet connection?"

The Succubus
2011-10-21, 09:31 AM
Sandwich shops that put mayo on everything, which is most places. If I don't like mayo, what the heck am I supposed to do about it?

...I think that'll do for now. :smalltongue:

This. It makes me want to bite someone's head off but odds are it'd be covered in mayo.

Choco
2011-10-21, 09:44 AM
And yet...once this secret slips out in the workplace, you may as well suck on the cold, meaty filling of a shotgun sandwich for you will never know rest otherwise.

Or God help you if the secret slips out among your friends/family.... NOTHING beats getting a call at 11pm on a Friday night from one of your mom's friend's friends (who you have never met before BTW) asking for tech support help (yes, THIS HAS HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES :smallfurious:). And of course you are a douche if you don't drop everything you are doing and spend all your free time giving everyone around you free tech support.... Did I ever mention that I REALLY hate people?

Castaras
2011-10-21, 09:47 AM
Why can I not know my own mind? Bloody annoying not knowing what I want.

Sipex
2011-10-21, 09:52 AM
Oh gods yes, seriously!

What? Your computer is slow. What do you mean it's slow? Okay you want me to come over tonight? Oh no, I just worked eight hours, ran errands and I have to go to bed at 12, I was just thinking of...I dunno, enjoying myself tonight.
Of course I'll drop everything, take the hour bus ride over and then sit there while you constantly ask 'Why is it so slow?', 'How long is it going to take?' and 'Why are you uninstalling bonzai buddy?'

>.<

Karoht
2011-10-21, 09:54 AM
Nonsensical reasons for NOT having access to something in society.

IE-Coca Cola.
Coca Cola has been making softdrinks sweetened with Stevia for the last 20 years. In Japan. Will they send them anywhere else? No. Want to know why?
Some scientist doped up a rat with enough Stevia to give it liver failure. The human equivilant would be eating 10 pounds of sugar in a single sitting.
The test was absurd and completely unscientific, yet every 'scientific' person in the industry constantly refers to it.

IE-Fast Food chains.
Sweet Potato fries are awesome. Why the hell weren't they on the menu at some point in the last 40 years, when Sweet Potato actually keeps better, usually with no preservatives, and is usually cheaper than regular potatoes.

I have a friend who works at a pizza place.
She has a customer who calls up usually twice a week. This is how he places his order.
"Bob's Pizza, what can we get for you today?"
hereismyaddressinareallyreallyquickchainofnumbersa ndnamesandstreetsIwantyourspecialwith{insert list of complicated changes}andIwantyourotherspecialwith{insert more changes}andabottleofcoke.

*inhales loudly* you've got 20 minutes, clock's ticking
*click, dialtoooooooone*
Oh, and you don't dare interrupt this guy to confirm anything or else. Why? He's the bosses friend, and the boss WILL give you trouble for not taking this guy's order in one pass. God help you if you maybe have a hearing problem and need people to occasionally repeat things.

My fiance works in a vet clinic. She wants to strangle people who call to book appointments like this. In fact, my fiance's troubles are probably another post altogether.

Choco
2011-10-21, 09:59 AM
Oh gods yes, seriously!

What? Your computer is slow. What do you mean it's slow? Okay you want me to come over tonight? Oh no, I just worked eight hours, ran errands and I have to go to bed at 12, I was just thinking of...I dunno, enjoying myself tonight.
Of course I'll drop everything, take the hour bus ride over and then sit there while you constantly ask 'Why is it so slow?', 'How long is it going to take?' and 'Why are you uninstalling bonzai buddy?'

>.<

It gets even better if you actually do that kind of crap for a living already... One of my friends does IT/tech support for a living and is in the exact same situation on his free time. And of course when he points out that he has been doing this for 10 hours a day all week and wants a break, they can't understand. One time he asked his mom (who did collection calls) if she would be willing to do collection calls for free as a favor to someone after doing it all week at work. She of course said "no, that's different!"

Which brings me to what has to be in the running for the one thing that gets my blood pressure up more than anything:

People who use "that's different" as a "defense" when you make a comparison to something they SHOULD understand. Using the example of my friend and his mom above, yes, she is right, it IS different.... different as in one is detrimental to her so it's bad, and one is beneficial to her so it's good....

Sipex
2011-10-21, 10:06 AM
Augh, I know what you mean. I'm in IT myself.

Here's how most introductory conversations go.

Friend: "Hey, meet my friend Sipex."
Me: "Hello."
Them: "Hi. Sooo....what do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a computer programmer."
*Them stares at you with a confused look*
Me: "I work with computers."
Them: "Ohhh! So you could help with fixing computers then?"

I hate being seen as an easy out, FREE resource.

irenicObserver
2011-10-21, 10:06 AM
People who think they're superior for no good reason.
People who think pointing out someone elses mistake is acceptable and cool
People with conflicting views to others who rudely pester said opponents endlessly about how stupid they are (I mean really, don't you think there is a good reason besides upbringing they believe that?)
Vegetarians/Vegans who pester meat eaters
Fur Protesters that splash red paint of people outside stores
Idiots who believe violence and aggression is a great way for people to accept and like their point of view (martyrs seem to be a lot more effective in practice)
Someone who vocally expresses disapproval when they could easily just leave. You expect the minority to bend to your beliefs
Obnoxious and stupid people in general. Do people like the above really believe they are WIS or INT enough to change the world?

Some idiot that was there to listen to the rules with everyone else but still breaks them (sometimes on purpose) and that gets everyone in trouble.
People who are late and show up walking casually
People who whine when they get negative attention, but then do the exact same stuff everytime.
Said people (mostly classmates) who keep getting shooshed but still talk in class and call the teacher a back itch because she gets mad at them.
People who claim to not care and yet continue going out. If you honestly believed any of the depressing crap you spew, why are you still here? Why even go out anymore? The world really isn't as terrible as you think (elaborating further would break forum rules)
People who are bungholes and trie to justify being bungholes. Don't give me any loophole crap, you're being a phallus and you know it
This one frakkin snob on dA that tried to justify being a snob. Why can't someone be intelligent without being a frak?

Choco
2011-10-21, 10:27 AM
Augh, I know what you mean. I'm in IT myself.

Here's how most introductory conversations go.

Friend: "Hey, meet my friend Sipex."
Me: "Hello."
Them: "Hi. Sooo....what do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a computer programmer."
*Them stares at you with a confused look*
Me: "I work with computers."
Them: "Ohhh! So you could help with fixing computers then?"

I hate being seen as an easy out, FREE resource.

UGH, yes...

I am also a code monkey/software developer/computer programmer/whatever, and that is exactly how intros go for me too... Nevermind that programming software != generic computer troubleshooting, but all people hear is "he does something with computers so he must know how to do tech support!". I mean, I DO know how to do that, but it is no less annoying that people assume that just because you do anything remotely computer-related that you can give them free tech support...

And I agree about the whole Google thing. The VAST MAJORITY of the time I am doing tech support for someone, I personally haven't ran into their specific problem (cause I actually TAKE PREVENTATIVE MEASURES, but of course no matter how many times you tell them they are completely unwilling :smallfurious:). So I search for and implement a solution, with them watching the whole thing. I tell them repeatedly they can do it too, all it takes is knowing how to use a search engine, and I KNOW what they use to find their porn...

But yes, the preventative measures thing is what drives me up a wall the most. The same idiots keep calling me over and over for the same problems. This pisses me off because 1) as many times as they have watched me fix the same problem, they have NO EXCUSE to not know how to do it themselves yet, and 2) they have OBVIOUSLY been ignoring everything I told them about how to prevent that from happening again...

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-21, 10:31 AM
In a work setting, people who claim you must be joking the moment you are unable to fulfill their request. I've gotten into a habit of replying to this with a blanket "I don't joke about that [insert sir/madam here]", but it never really seems to get the point across.

irenicObserver
2011-10-21, 10:38 AM
When you are in a foul mood in general and get forced into some argument that there is no escape from. You keep trying to do the "walk away and cool down" thing because you know it is not a good idea to argue in your current state of mind. Try as you might, the other person will not just let you walk away. You even inform the other person that this should be put on hold until both of you calm down, but that just makes them even worse. Of course said other person is always someone with some authority over you preventing you from just leaving (parent, boss/manager, spouse, etc.) until THEY are satisfied you have had enough. And when you inevitably snap and do/say something hurtful to make them just shut up and leave you alone, you are the villain and it is all your fault, and you need to apologize...

My brother does this. ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. According to him it is immature to walk out on an "discussion" and we end up spending a few hours of him lecturing me on our discussion and how terrible I am in general. Even when I'm tired and need to sleep it's selfish because a few seconds ago I was more attentive to the computer or video game and suddenly I'm crashing. Apparently I'm so immature because I don't indulge him and his ego on his time, like not responding fast enough when I'm distracted by reading even though he does the same exact thing all the time. He goes into a pouty, silent treatment until you feel sorry for wronging him. He also likes to make apocryphal statements about how everyone does it and I'm weird for getting upset at him for doing it. I could write paragraphs of pure Black Liquid Loathing about him.

Sipex
2011-10-21, 10:41 AM
OMG, people getting upset because they ask you a question while you're obviously absorbed in something and you don't reply RIGHT AWAY.

In fact, people asking you questions when you're really absorbed in something at all. Can you not wait until the commercial? Can you not say something like "Could you pause that for a moment?"

Nope! It's straight out "Oh hey, blah blah blah <complex question which requires thought>?" while I'm playing something or reading something. You don't give me time to turn my attention towards you and actually listen, you just expect me not to be able to get involved in anything because you might have a question in the next five hours!

Choco
2011-10-21, 10:52 AM
Ooooo, heres one that I've been dealing with lately:

People who take their hobby/fetish/sexual orientation/whatever too far and turn it into a "lifestyle", and then can't understand why people find them annoying or flat-out hate them. No dude, I don't hate you because you are a japanophile/furry/gay/whatever, in fact I have plenty of friends that fall into those categories and/or fall into it myself, I hate you because that is all you ever talk about and never miss a chance to rub it in my face. But hey, I'm just an intolerant bigot apparently. It is even worse in the categories that you identify with though, cause then there is the added frustration of them giving the entire group you identify with a bad name....

Karoht
2011-10-21, 10:54 AM
In fact, people asking you questions when you're really absorbed in something at all. Can you not wait until the commercial?And the minute the commercials come around (with the same commercials you've seen 10 times already in that hour alone) what happens?
*crickets chirp*
The second the show starts back up?
Blah blah blah blah blah.

I used to be really bad for that. Then TV started to suck less so I was actually engaged in it and wouldn't do that anymore.

People who take their hobby/fetish/sexual orientation/whatever too far and turn it into a "lifestyle", and then can't understand why people find them annoying or flat-out hate them. No dude, I don't hate you because you are a japanophile/furry/gay/whatever, in fact I have plenty of friends that fall into those categories and/or fall into it myself, I hate you because that is all you ever talk about and never miss a chance to rub it in my face. But hey, I'm just an intolerant bigot apparently. It is even worse in the categories that you identify with though, cause then there is the added frustration of them giving the entire group you identify with a bad name....
I had a ladyfriend who did that. When she was dating a heavy drug user, not only did she suddenly start talking about drug use all the freaking time, but if you ever didn't go hang out with her or if you tried to take the topic of conversation elsewhere, BOOM, you're the badguy.
Now she's with a furry boyfriend. At least the furry stuff is tolerable. Until she starts talking about events. And my discussing them beyond that would most certainly break board rules, so I won't.
And the cycle continues.

Sipex
2011-10-21, 10:59 AM

So much this!

I mean, I've know people who identify with something like this SOOOOO much that they'll praise anything that has to do with it? They've ruined great movies for me because "OMG it has X so let's watch it over and over!"

irenicObserver
2011-10-21, 11:02 AM
My mom has recently gotten into a habit of shootign me a long string of questions at once. No wonder I've been getting more cynical and snarky lately. How am I supposed to answer a pop quiz like that?

@Karoht: I hate one-dimensional people like that. It's so obnoxious when they get upset that people see them that way. I'm like, "Really? You don't know why?"

Objection
2011-10-21, 11:09 AM
Oh yeah, seconding the bad driving posts.

EDIT: While I'm at it, let me give you an example of a good driver: my mum. She has been driving for many years now and I have never once known her to crash or get involved in some kind of car accident or have to make a claim on her insurance. She knows the rules of the road and she knows when it is sensible to drive slower and when it is sensible to drive faster. The only time she crawls is when stuck behind someone else who is crawling. Oh yeah, and not even developing multiple sclerosis has impeded her.

Speaking of which, here's another thing that makes both of us mad: non-disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces. Do you even know what those spaces are for? Hint: look at the word beginning with d.

EDIT 2.0:

- Sandwich shops that put mayo on everything, which is most places. If I don't like mayo, what the heck am I supposed to do about it?

From what I've seen, all sandwich shops put mayo on everything (or at least everything that's in packaging). This is why I don't buy pre-packaged (or whatever the term is) sandwiches.

Choco
2011-10-21, 11:46 AM
Speaking of which, here's another thing that makes both of us mad: non-disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces. Do you even know what those spaces are for? Hint: look at the word beginning with d.

Kinda building on that...

It really pisses me off that here in the US being obese now counts as a disability, so now you have people whose only "disability" is lacking self control (I am NOT talking about people who have ACTUAL disabilities that cause them to be obese, they are OK, it's the people who lack self control I am ripping on) taking the parking spaces and powered wheelchairs from the people who actually NEED THOSE. I have a friend who is paralyzed and obviously needs to use a wheelchair, but it has become almost impossible for her to get one of the motorized ones at the local Walmart because all the fat people are taking them now. IMO the best thing that can be done for the obese crowd is make them walk as far and much as possible....

Karoht
2011-10-21, 11:52 AM
Speaking of which, here's another thing that makes both of us mad: non-disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces.I ranted about this earlier. Namely when you have the alpha douches with massive trucks or SUV's who have to take up 4 spots, and usually 2 or more of those spots are handicap/expecting mother spots.

Alpha Douch parking like an Alpha Douch with his AlphaDoucheMobile.

Seriously, I can't understand why anyone would buy a Hummer these days. Everyone laughs at them and the drivers. Just owning one makes you a jerk by default in the eyes of the public. Let alone the problems that the Hummer and similar vehicles actually bring to the table as well.

THAC0
2011-10-21, 12:01 PM
I got one!

Went to the store to pick up a six-pack yesterday. Hand the guy my ID. He says "That's not you." "Ha-ha," I say. Then he KEEPS GOING with the "that's not you" thing for another five minutes before giving up and saying "Oh I was joking." Ok, it was funny for about five seconds. Then he plays keep-away with my credit card, and tries to refuse to give me my receipt until I open up some box on the counter which apparently has a spider in it to scare me. Oh my god, I just want to buy my beer and go home!

Lillith
2011-10-21, 12:52 PM
What totally and absolutely frustrates me is that apparently if I want to play an MMORPG I am supposed to be completely into pvp. Forget about questing, enjoying the story of the game that is being offered, collecting things and trying to get achievements, it's PVP that matters. If you are not interested in PVP then apparently you're 'scared' of it and dubbed a carebear. Is it seriously that wrong of me to not care for pvp? Sure I could do it, I enjoy the occasional pvp match every once in two weeks or something but it's the gameplay, story and quests that make me go for a game. I hate it when I try to do a quest and suddenly I get ambushed by some random pvp'er who thinks it is funny to spoil someone's fun. :smallannoyed:

(Also if you're wondering why I would hang out on a pvp server, it's because my boyfriend does enjoy pvp, but that's a different rant all together.)

Edit: after reading the last page I have to say I can completely understand the problem Lyceios has. For some reason my parents believe because I'm young, sorta above intelligent and behind my laptop a lot I know everything there is to know about a computer. Including Mac computers (which I don't want to go near). I actually had my mom call me less then an hour ago asking me why her internet doesn't work. How am I supposed to know? I live 20 minutes away from her. And when she describes the router she says 'yeah the orange light is blinking' am I supposed to know exactly what she's referring to? I'm not doing anything special behind my laptop, I'm not a pc wizard. My mom's admiration face when I tell her shortcuts like ctrl + c is actually starting to get annoying and I stopped doing that because she actually thinks I'm more of a computer miracle because of it.

Edit2: oh and how could I forget my major pet peeve: people who complain about their situation but don't improve on it. 'I don't feel good for weeks.' but never go to see a doctor. 'I haven't slept cause I have insomnia' don't talk to a specialist to see if they can do something about it. 'My neighbors music is too loud' but never talk to the guy. I have a bunch of people in my life like this and it is so frustrating. Especially cause if I have a problem I try to fix it before I start complaining about it. Of course if you did everything you could and still can't fix your problem, you're welcome to complain about it as much as you want. :smalltongue:

Nargan
2011-10-21, 01:25 PM
You know what? Self scrub, before the modfather gets to me.

Giliburcio
2011-10-21, 01:56 PM
Things I loathe:

- Stomach flu.

*crawls back into bed*

Karoht
2011-10-21, 02:01 PM
What totally and absolutely frustrates me is that apparently if I want to play an MMORPG I am supposed to be completely into pvp. Forget about questing, enjoying the story of the game that is being offered, collecting things and trying to get achievements, it's PVP that matters. If you are not interested in PVP then apparently you're 'scared' of it and dubbed a carebear. Is it seriously that wrong of me to not care for pvp? Sure I could do it, I enjoy the occasional pvp match every once in two weeks or something but it's the gameplay, story and quests that make me go for a game. I hate it when I try to do a quest and suddenly I get ambushed by some random pvp'er who thinks it is funny to spoil someone's fun. :smallannoyed:

(Also if you're wondering why I would hang out on a pvp server, it's because my boyfriend does enjoy pvp, but that's a different rant all together.)Depends on the game. Some games are based around PvP rather than PvE. Aion was that way, Age of Conan as well if memory serves me correctly.
On the other hand it sounds like you're playing WoW.
And in any case, there is a world of difference between PvP'ers and Gankers/Griefing.

But I hear you. PvP'ers tend to trash talk PvE players pretty harsh.

Starwulf
2011-10-21, 03:46 PM

I'm not aiming this at you, but you do bring up a point that makes me want to vent. People who stare at me, and give me dirty looks, and even go so far as to make snarky remarks when I park in a Handicap spot, despite the damn fact that I do in fact have a placard to park there. yes, I'm not even 30, no, I don't LOOK disabled, but I do in fact have parts of my spine that are crushed flat. walking is a major pain, and just because I don't grimace every time I take a step(I have lived with it since 2003), doesn't mean I"m not in constant, near-tear agony every moment. So take your rude looks, gestures, and even words, and shove them up your you know where, cuz I'm damn tired of it.

Liffguard
2011-10-21, 04:07 PM
In all fair gyms, and true, across this green and pleasant land there are stout frames of metal hiding in corners like monstrous, hulking ogres. These frames are the fabled squat racks. Enter yonder gymnasium and gaze upon it. See its sturdy beams, thick and solid. Observe the bar of cold steel to be placed across the back like the burden of Atlas. See those noble men and women who test themselves against the harsh ravages of gravity, that they might build thighs and glutes between which they might crush the heads of their enemies! Such heady days will never come again my friend, for the corruption hath come amongst us. This corruption is the bicep curl. Gaze in woe upon how those with the legs of chickens have infiltrated our fair squat rack. Hear their shrieking battlecry of "check out the pump on my gunz, bro!" as their arms flail like the pistons of some infernal engine. Woe and lamentations, my friend. Woe and lamentations.

Whiffet
2011-10-21, 04:27 PM
I've got the parents-think-I'm-a-computer-genius problem too. I'm not; I don't know much about them at all. I get frustrated if I use Google to solve a problem and it's only brought up on forums where users use technical language I don't understand. I still try, though, and technical-solution-only doesn't happen often. But since I know enough to use computers without help, I must know how to fix everything! Fortunately I've done well enough convincing them to not come to me with their problems that I rarely hear requests. I even offer to help out my dad, occasionally. Not my mom, she would take that as permission to constantly ask for help ("Hey, Whiffet, how do you bookmark something again?"), but helping Dad is fine.

I'm currently struggling with whether I should tell my mom how terrible her computer's password is. Ten seconds to figure it out. :smalltongue: I didn't do much on it, my laptop was just unavailable and I wanted to check something really fast! Honest! Problem is, knowing her, if she changed it she would either make it something worse or she would forget what she changed it to. At least she used a foreign version of our last name and added a couple numbers. Better that than our home phone number or "password", right? She's used those before.

Acanous
2011-10-22, 02:46 AM
Depends on the game. Some games are based around PvP rather than PvE. Aion was that way, Age of Conan as well if memory serves me correctly.
On the other hand it sounds like you're playing WoW.
And in any case, there is a world of difference between PvP'ers and Gankers/Griefing.

But I hear you. PvP'ers tend to trash talk PvE players pretty harsh.

Sometimes, there's a schism in real game values that causes this- PVP gear VS PVE gear. You might have say, top tier purple raid gear that makes you all shiny and your shoulderpads take up half your screen, but it means nothing when there's a PVP only armor/pen set of stats, and you've got neither. You end up getting ripped apart like tissue paper, unable to fight back with any semblance of effectiveness.

Thus, PVPers get the opinion that PVE players suck, and PVE players get the opinion that PVPers are trash-mouthed jerks.

We need a game where the PVP and PVE are identical, but AI is reeeally hard to program like that, and most of the time there's not enough draw/profit in tooling the AI.

Imagine the advertisement: "Our game has brutal AI that kite, use terrain, and have the same kinds of abilities player classes do!"

You'd lose most of your casuals, and that money could have been spent on graphics/writing/other game features.

Not to mention that the holy trinity fails as soon as you introduce an intelligent opponent. All the sudden, there are no melee tanks, everyone's ranged DPS or Mezz, and the game becomes rocket tag.
(Healers could exist, but the likelyhood of being sniped to death just for entering the area approaches 1 for each opponent in said area)

...and now I forgot what I was going to rant about

Choco
2011-10-22, 10:07 AM
Sometimes, there's a schism in real game values that causes this- PVP gear VS PVE gear. You might have say, top tier purple raid gear that makes you all shiny and your shoulderpads take up half your screen, but it means nothing when there's a PVP only armor/pen set of stats, and you've got neither. You end up getting ripped apart like tissue paper, unable to fight back with any semblance of effectiveness.

Thus, PVPers get the opinion that PVE players suck, and PVE players get the opinion that PVPers are trash-mouthed jerks.

We need a game where the PVP and PVE are identical, but AI is reeeally hard to program like that, and most of the time there's not enough draw/profit in tooling the AI.

Imagine the advertisement: "Our game has brutal AI that kite, use terrain, and have the same kinds of abilities player classes do!"

You'd lose most of your casuals, and that money could have been spent on graphics/writing/other game features.

Not to mention that the holy trinity fails as soon as you introduce an intelligent opponent. All the sudden, there are no melee tanks, everyone's ranged DPS or Mezz, and the game becomes rocket tag.
(Healers could exist, but the likelyhood of being sniped to death just for entering the area approaches 1 for each opponent in said area)

...and now I forgot what I was going to rant about

EVE comes close to doing just that after the Incursion expansion. Not all PvE mind you, but the incursions are somewhat close to how PvP normally goes. But on the other hand, most PvP in EVE is a massive force showing up and ganking someone (be it a lone traveler at a gate camp or a small group being ambushed by having a mothership dropped on them), and that would be slightly annoying to have the NPC's do :smallwink:

Karoht
2011-10-22, 10:34 AM
Seeing as PvP and PvE fill entirely different roles in gameplay and storytelling, I am of the opinion that they don't need to be identical.
And it still wouldn't change the fact that the PvP'ers are loudmouthed jerks, which is completely unnecessary. It wasn't necessary in Halo, it's not necessary in L4D, it isn't necessary in any of the MMO's I can think of, etc.

People who defend jerkwad players because of their skill.
Take for example IdrA from SC2. He could be a complete a-hole to someone, the minute anyone comments on his behavior, you have a million and one people saying "yeah but he's a really skilled player" or some variation thereof. Really?
Lets apply that real life for a moment. If a baseball player runs someone over, do we defend that action with "but he's a really good baseball player." Beyond the typical celebrity slap on the wrist, no. Nor would it be acceptable if that baseball player were to mouth off to the other team after the match, or throw things at his fans (I'm looking at you Barry Bonds).

I think it's poor taste to do this, especially in video games, especially in the player versuse player context where the two are already adversarial. It breeds extremely poor social skills, in a setting that should probably remain recreational rather than adversarial.

Nargan
2011-10-22, 10:41 AM
Seeing as PvP and PvE fill entirely different roles in gameplay and storytelling, I am of the opinion that they don't need to be identical.
And it still wouldn't change the fact that the PvP'ers are loudmouthed jerks, which is completely unnecessary. It wasn't necessary in Halo, it's not necessary in L4D, it isn't necessary in any of the MMO's I can think of, etc.

People who defend jerkwad players because of their skill.
Take for example IdrA from SC2. He could be a complete a-hole to someone, the minute anyone comments on his behavior, you have a million and one people saying "yeah but he's a really skilled player" or some variation thereof. Really?
Lets apply that real life for a moment. If a baseball player runs someone over, do we defend that action with "but he's a really good baseball player." Beyond the typical celebrity slap on the wrist, no. Nor would it be acceptable if that baseball player were to mouth off to the other team after the match, or throw things at his fans (I'm looking at you Barry Bonds).

I think it's poor taste to do this, especially in video games, especially in the player versuse player context where the two are already adversarial. It breeds extremely poor social skills, in a setting that should probably remain recreational rather than adversarial.

Well now I feel bad, because I like IdrA because I think he's hilarious. "You're really good at massing carriers."
(other guy) "thanks"
"real useful skill to have" *IdrA has left the game.

Karoht
2011-10-22, 10:53 AM
Well now I feel bad, because I like IdrA because I think he's hilarious. "You're really good at massing carriers."
(other guy) "thanks"
"real useful skill to have" *IdrA has left the game.He can be funny. He can be funny without being a douche, I've seen him do that too. But then he has days where he's a douche. Mind you he's got much better since Team Liquid gave him that month long ban.

I've seen players who rage on other players for no reason.
"OMG you nub you suck"
"Dude, we're winning. By a massive margin. And I'm #1 on the board."
That happens quite a bit in team based PvP, for reasons I really can't figure out, other than perhaps just trolling.

Trellan
2011-10-22, 01:01 PM
You know what's freaking awful? The legal system in America. About a year ago, I got drunk with a few buddies, went on a walk at around 2 in the morning, found a tree that was knocked over by something, picked it up and carried it across the street. Dumb move? Yeah, but not deserving of the result. Got arrested by the cops for felony vandalism, put in holding for 6 hours, was cussed out by the cops and called a large number of slurs about being gay (even though I am straight and they pretty much pulled the gay thing out of nowhere), was told to "shut the *expletive* up" and called an "*expletive* retard" during booking because I had the audacity of trying to be helpful and letting them know that the reason why my parents' last names are different is because they are divorced (which I really only did because the officer booking me gave me a "wtf?" look when I gave a different last name for my mom), and had to pay 3k in bail to avoid having me and my buddies sent to prison. Now I'm living in Japan, planning a trip back home for the holidays, and I suddenly have to sink another 2k into lawyer fees because apparently they decided I was fleeing the country even though the case was supposed to have been settled and I provided proof that I was leaving for a job that had been arranged prior to the event even happening. Running total of getting drunk and carrying a tree across the street? Over a year of stress and over $6,000 in various legal fees. The legal system keeps pursuing the case and trying to punish me for the most insignificant thing possible because they would apparently rather spend all this time and energy going after me instead of actual criminals. Most of my friends and family know something happened, but I refuse to tell them about it because, quite honestly, it's more than a little bit embarrassing.

Hmmm... venting about that didn't feel as good as I hoped it would. It also did nothing to replace the six thousand dollars I could have used to help repay my student loan debt, nor did it replace my trust in police officers. I actually get nervous every time I hear a siren. Every time. Even after a full freaking year and moving to a different country. Yeah, our legal system totally works. :smallconfused:

ghost_warlock
2011-10-22, 08:33 PM
Waking up to find that either my roommate or his house guest has stolen the coffee drink I put in the fridge before going to bed. :smallfurious:

Update: looks like it was the house guest/couch surfer. And he also drank my roommate's pop and ate my other roommate's raviolis. All without so much as a "hey, do you mind..." He's on the banned list now. :smallannoyed: It's not so much that I mind sharing, but that he just took things as if they were his.

Marillion
2011-10-23, 06:30 PM
First: People who assume that my boxer/beagle mix is a Pit Bull, and consequently are afraid of him. Not every medium-sized muscular dog is a pit, folks. (http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html) :smallannoyed:

Second: People who are afraid of Pit Bulls. There's so much misinformation and hysteria surrounding these lovely animals. Obviously, any powerful animal needs to be treated with caution and respect, but breed specific legislation is nonsense.

Third: Those people who walk into a restaurant 5 minutes before closing time, debate their order for a half hour, and then continue to camp out for another hour. Please, people. We want to go home.

irenicObserver
2011-10-23, 07:11 PM
I don't know what to say, I feel a little insulted. I don't do it often but I post music links in my statuses on facebook. I never get comments, the ones I do are, "you need better taste in music". Before that I got someone posting in my wall saying, "dude i'm sick of all these remixes", with someone else liking it. Honestly I don't know what to say, I think it's tactless (and rather rude) but my friends says it's not because of different tastes in music. Guys, what do you think I should feel? Because I'm thinking: :smallannoyed:, :smallfurious:, :smallmad:, :smallsigh:, or :smallfrown:

Traab
2011-10-23, 07:23 PM
ARRRRRRRRRGH! My freaking DOG! Look, I love my dog, he is great, but he has two bad habits that I dont have the slightest clue on how to break him of them.

Habit 1- The slightly less annoying one. He goes into a psychopathic FIT every time he sees a squirrel or rabbit. I mean he bolts like lightning and if he CANT run, he starts yelping and yelping, and leaping and trying to force his way through anything stopping him. He is on a slip knot leash and he will be retching and gasping trying to pull and will not stop until I physically grab him and pin him down. Ive also lost a number of house plants as he leaps onto tables and cabinets trying to get through shut windows to reach these foul creatures that must be destroyed. This is the less annoying one because he IS letting up a little bit. He doesnt always go into full freak out mode on walks, and they generally stop a bit earlier than they used to, but dammned if I can figure out a way to make it happen faster.

Habit 2- The I HATE THIS DOG! habit. He sneaks into the various laundry baskets in my house and eats the crotch out of every pair of pants, underwear, pajamas, and panties he can find. The oddest part is, he will do it to brand new, never been worn underwear just as often as stuff thats been worn a few times. Dirty, clean, or brand new, it doesnt matter, he bites the crotch out. You can say, "Oh just put it somewhere he cant reach." And thats fine, I do that, but im human, sometimes I forget to latch a door shut, or my attention wanders when he is in the same room as a basket of clothes. Suddenly I look up and BANG! Another pair of pants has a hole in the crotch.

I'm not aiming this at you, but you do bring up a point that makes me want to vent. People who stare at me, and give me dirty looks, and even go so far as to make snarky remarks when I park in a Handicap spot, despite the damn fact that I do in fact have a placard to park there. yes, I'm not even 30, no, I don't LOOK disabled, but I do in fact have parts of my spine that are crushed flat. walking is a major pain, and just because I don't grimace every time I take a step(I have lived with it since 2003), doesn't mean I"m not in constant, near-tear agony every moment. So take your rude looks, gestures, and even words, and shove them up your you know where, cuz I'm damn tired of it.

Im in a similar boat. I find its easier to just exaggerate my limp so people will stop giving me the evil eye until I get into the store or wherever im going. If you dont limp, start. :p Just until you stop being in visual range of the self righteous asses who think its their job to police what other people do.

Objection
2011-10-23, 07:24 PM
I don't know what to say, I feel a little insulted. I don't do it often but I post music links in my statuses on facebook. I never get comments, the ones I do are, "you need better taste in music". Before that I got someone posting in my wall saying, "dude i'm sick of all these remixes", with someone else liking it. Honestly I don't know what to say, I think it's tactless (and rather rude) but my friends says it's not because of different tastes in music. Guys, what do you think I should feel? Because I'm thinking: :smallannoyed:, :smallfurious:, :smallmad:, :smallsigh:, or :smallfrown:

What kind of music are we talking about?

Just curious.

Choco
2011-10-24, 08:41 AM
Third: Those people who walk into a restaurant 5 minutes before closing time, debate their order for a half hour, and then continue to camp out for another hour. Please, people. We want to go home.

Oh God, SO MUCH THIS. And of course the managers lack the balls to tell them we are closed/closing... I've been to places before that say "we are closing, y'all got X minutes to clear out", but nooooo, not where I worked....

On that topic:

People who come to the store you work at 5 minutes after you closed (locked the doors, lowered the blinds, etc.) and pound on the door demanding to be served. Look dude, sucks that you made it just a little too late, but IT IS MIDNIGHT AND WE GOTTA GO HOME. And of course they always say things like "it'll only take a few minutes!" as if that matters when we have already closed out all the registers and did whatever other closing activities there are to do....

People who walk into OBVIOUSLY blocked off sections of a restaurant and can't understand why you want them to move. True story from my days at BK:

Every night about an hour before we closed, we blocked off certain sections of the place for cleaning. We never got more than maybe 5 people that late, and in the off chance that would happen we would just re-open those sections, no big deal. This one time however....

*2 women walk into the store, get their order, and proceed to walk into a blocked-off section to sit. They flat-out walked up to the barricade of tables and chairs, MOVED THEM OUT OF THE WAY as if it was just an accident they were there, and sat in the blocked off section I just cleaned.
Me: "I'm sorry but this section of the store is blocked off, could you please sit somewhere else?"
Them: "Oh but it's so much nicer here...."
Me: "Maybe, but it is blocked off for cleaning."
*this back and forth went on for about 2 minutes*
Them: "Oh OK, we'll move..."
*they proceed to walk across the store to ANOTHER blocked off section, ONCE AGAIN MOVE THE BLOCKADE OUT OF THE WAY, and sit there*
Me: :smallfurious:

Yeah, I just let that one go cause I knew there was no way I could talk to those dumb ******* again without getting myself fired...

irenicObserver
2011-10-24, 09:34 AM
What kind of music are we talking about?

Just curious.

Just music I find and enjoy a little. I'd give you the the links later i guess.

The Succubus
2011-10-24, 09:48 AM
Habit 2- The I HATE THIS DOG! habit. He sneaks into the various laundry baskets in my house and eats the crotch out of every pair of pants, underwear, pajamas, and panties he can find. The oddest part is, he will do it to brand new, never been worn underwear just as often as stuff thats been worn a few times. Dirty, clean, or brand new, it doesnt matter, he bites the crotch out. You can say, "Oh just put it somewhere he cant reach." And thats fine, I do that, but im human, sometimes I forget to latch a door shut, or my attention wanders when he is in the same room as a basket of clothes. Suddenly I look up and BANG! Another pair of pants has a hole in the crotch.

*wonders what Traab has been training his dog to do* :smalleek:

I am now officially scared of Traab and his hellhound.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 10:44 AM

Feel what you want to feel.
Way's to look at this issue:
-It's your facebook, you post it open, they can comment however they like.
-Your friends could recommend something else rather than just bashing.
-Remixes aren't everyone's taste.
-Counterpoint to the above, no one is forcing them to listen to it, just because it's on facebook.

Feel what you want to feel, but I would take the comments with a grain of salt. Ever read youtube comments? On anything? Trust me, you'll feel better really fast.

llamamushroom
2011-10-24, 10:50 AM

This. Definitely this. One of my dogs is the cutest thing ever, but he does this, goes slightly mental at passing wildlife and...

Well, for most of his life, he's lived in a house with 3 guys and 1 girl (my mum), and most of the cuddling he gets is from me (not a girl). As such, certain behaviours while being cuddled are perfectly fine. Then, a girl who happens to like small dogs comes along and cuddles him. He will... nuzzle her.

Yeah.

It was a little unfortunate the first time.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 11:10 AM
You know what grinds my gears? Animal Rights.

Okay, Human rights are touchy. Most violations should be basic knowledge, the kind of thing everyone just knows that you don't do to someone else. Yes, I'm aware it apparently isn't that simple. Which is probably another topic altogether.

But animals. How do you look at a dog and think "Here's a perfect place to vent my frustrations, my cute, cuddly, adorable, loyal friend" and beat a dog? How do people force two dogs to fight and nearly kill one another?

On the flip side, we have wild animals. Like bears. And every year, there is always that one stupid tourist that does something astoundingly dumb, and gets attacked by a bear. So the response? Typically they find and shoot the bear. So hold on, some dumb jerk breaks the rules and the bear suffers for it? If they are forced to shoot the bear (thankfully it doesn't happen all the time, relocation, sometimes they leave the bear alone, etc) I think the tourist should be fined or even jailed for 30-90 days, and be forced to pick up trash at the side of the road every single day for the duration.

Don't even get me started on agriculture.

danzibr
2011-10-24, 11:58 AM
My students coming to me at the end of the semester and asking, "What can I do to pass this class?"

Well, nothing. You could have actually, ya know, studied throughout the semester.

Derjuin
2011-10-24, 12:01 PM
My students coming to me at the end of the semester and asking, "What can I do to pass this class?"

Well, nothing. You could have actually, ya know, studied throughout the semester.

I'm not a teacher/professor myself, but I get pretty annoyed when students do that, too. Even moreso if the answer they're given is "Yes! You can just go on this field trip and write a 3 page paper and everything will be better."

---------------------------------------------------------------

The american economy, and this persistent idea that everything I do isn't "good enough". This has its largest impact on my drawing and writing, where I will suddenly lose motivation to finish a piece, or will refuse to show something because of fear of mediocrity. Alternatively, I won't even start something up, because I've convinced myself ahead of time it won't turn out well at all, and it will only disappoint. :smallsigh:

Also, being cynical, negative and sad most of the time. Also low sense of self-esteem/worth/image. Maybe this vent should be kicked over to the depression thread instead...:smallconfused:

Maxios
2011-10-24, 12:10 PM
Religous fanatics who believe everything's evil.
Fleas (and bugs in general, but especially fleas for reasons I don't want to discuss).
People who do drugs.
People who drink with the sure purpose of getting wasted.
People who hit animals with the intention of malice
Racists
Teachers who tell their students they'll amount to nothing

Story Alert
A few days before I started first grade, my parents and I moved across town. As such, I had to go to the New School for first grade. There in the New Schoo, I had a horrible first grade teacher. She treated the girls better then the boys, and for some reason, she hated me specifically. I don't know why she hated me; I was never rude and a good student (I have a theory it's because I was a lot smarter then the other students and already knew half the stuff she was teaching me). In an example, she once marked an answer on a test wrong for me but the same answer right for everyone else.
Anyway, my parents realize how unhappy I am at the New School, and proceed to take me out of the New School to take me back to the Old School (sure, I'd have to get up earlier in the morning because the drive was longer, but still I hated the New School). During the process, the Teacher said I must be insane for me to want to leave. She also said I would amount to nothing.

Two years later, when I was the headline of the local and very popular newspaper (it was because of a story I wrote) I tried to find her email address so I could email to her just to show that I'm already accomplishing stuff and I will amount to something. Unfortuantly, I never found her email.

Traab
2011-10-24, 12:15 PM

They are trying to setup a porno. Its one of the most obvious lead ins in existence, only surpassed by walking up to a butcher and asking for a pound of sausage. "Oh Mr. Professor! I cant fail this class. I simply CANT! there must be SOMETHING I could do to pass! Maybe... something I could do... for you?" /bow chika bow wow. /time elapses. "Well miss honeypotts, id say you just earned an "A".

Karoht
2011-10-24, 01:25 PM
Bullying.
And teachers who stand for it.

I once was attacked by another student in class. It was just as I was entering the room. He hit me in the back of the head with a chair, then jumped on me and proceeded to pound on me.

Now due to other issues, I let him hit me. I forced myself not to retaliate. An entire classroom of witnesses saw this kid (a well known bully as well as gang member) jump me and just pummel me into the floor.

So I get sent to the office. What happens?
He goes back to class. I got suspended for a week.
I want to clarify this for you. I walked into the office dripping of blood, him with not a scratch. I lifted no hand to stop the beating. I got suspended. Yeah. Way to put an end to bullying there school. Good job.

Choco
2011-10-24, 01:48 PM
Bullying.

I once was attacked by another student in class. It was just as I was entering the room. He hit me in the back of the head with a chair, then jumped on me and proceeded to pound on me.

Now due to other issues, I let him hit me. I forced myself not to retaliate. An entire classroom of witnesses saw this kid (a well known bully as well as gang member) jump me and just pummel me into the floor.

I want to clarify this for you. I walked into the office dripping of blood, him with not a scratch. I lifted no hand to stop the beating. I got suspended. Yeah. Way to put an end to bullying there school. Good job.

Luckily for me I was always bigger and scarier-looking than the bullies all throughout my school years, so at worst I was just shunned (which I preferred, I've always had the makings of a hermit...). However, what you describe is precisely the reasons my friends started fighting back... Most of the schools I went to had a policy that anyone involved in a fight was suspended for a week. Yeah, you are minding your own business walking to class, someone slams you upside the head and proceeds to pummel you when you are on the ground, you not resisting at all, and you both get suspended for a week.

Realizing this, a couple of my friends started fighting back, and since their punishment would be the same anyway there is really no reason NOT to fight back. Turns out that after 2-3 times of them kicking the bullies until they cried like little girls, said bullies then left them alone. Huh, so standing up to them and fighting back (which is the exact OPPOSITE of what they tell you to do) put an end to bullying, while being a doormat didn't? What a shock!

But yes, the unwillingness/inability of "the system" to put an end to bullies really pisses me off. They tell you to not fight back and tell an adult, and as soon as you do not only are you punished by the school, but you are targeted even more viciously by the bully for ratting them out. Rinse and repeat, you never get out of that cycle.

Traab
2011-10-24, 02:03 PM
Job openings like this.

Help Wanted, 4th year electrical apprentice.

Why? Because for those of you who are unaware, a 4th year apprentice probably knows about as much about electrical work as a journeyman or even some masters, and yet, if they are still titled as an apprentice, the company gets away with paying them a crappy wage. They basically want someone they can send out to jobs all by himself, do all the work, and pay him half or less what they would have to pay a master electrician. They dont want an apprentice thats still learning, dear me no. The real problem is that every big company does this, so the only places willing to hire a new apprentice, or one with about a years experience under their belts are these small time, work out of their pickup truck and cell phone type "contractors" who are sleazier than your average movie world used car salesman.

I went through three of these guys in one year. The first I worked for for 3 months, he never submitted paperwork to get me registered as an apprentice, so none of those hours counted. Other than that I have no real complaints, he taught me a hell of alot. He wanted to get me to 4th year skill in about a month, lol. The second guy hired me, set me to work fixing the crappy job his last apprentice did wiring up an apartment complex. 2 weeks later I finished and he fired me. He only wanted someone who knew how to do alarm systems since apparently he was incompetent. Third guy? I worked for him a week and a half. He calls me up, says I sexually harassed his ugly wife, then refuses to pay me for the week and a half I worked there. Threatened to sue me for sexual harassment if I didnt just bend over and take it. (paraphrased, not an exact quote) Since we were talking about a couple hundred bucks at most, I didnt feel it was worth it.

Im stuck working for cretins like this until I can find one willing to sign me up as an apprentice, then keep me on board long enough to be able to earn my hours, THEN I can go work for a real company instead of some goober who thinks he is awesomely smart for naming his company A+ Electric so its close to the front of the listings. (Not the actual name of any company I worked for, but close to it on one of them.)

Tiger Duck
2011-10-24, 02:57 PM
Nobody read this.

I hate that one isn't allowed to care/be interested in peoples that dumped you.

Sure I'm angry for being dumped, but they are still the same person you loved before.

An that I feel this way even tough I know it makes me sad.

Karoht
2011-10-24, 03:15 PM
Nobody read this.

Sure I'm angry for being dumped, but they are still the same person you loved before.

Spoilered reply.
I did the same thing. I was friends with my most recent ex. Even though I came home and caught her in bed with someone else. At which point my friends pointed out exactly how much of a doormat I was, at the prospect of me trying to remain friends with someone who lied to me and stabbed me in the back about as deep as it could go.

I even found myself rather liking a girl who could only be described as a hybrid of my ex and my current girlfriend. I could have dated her, but I made a conscious choice not to go for more of the same and expect some kind of different response the second go around.

I don't fault you for it. But the whole reason why you probably broke up with someone is that this person isn't the person you are/were attracted to. Just my two cents though, take it with a grain of salt.

Starwulf
2011-10-24, 03:19 PM
Nobody read this.

Ehh, I think it's less that you're not supposed to care, and more that, nowadays when a relationship ends, it's usually because of cheating(at least, that was my experience in the dating scene). If that's the case, then, yeah, you really shouldn't be "Caring" for the person. They cheated on you, they obviously had no real emotions or attachments to you in the first place, regardless of what you may want to believe.

If you do manage to split peacefully though, due to just not meshing well, then there is nothing wrong with still caring for the person.

irenicObserver
2011-10-24, 05:33 PM
The american economy, and this persistent idea that everything I do isn't "good enough". This has its largest impact on my drawing and writing, where I will suddenly lose motivation to finish a piece, or will refuse to show something because of fear of mediocrity. Alternatively, I won't even start something up, because I've convinced myself ahead of time it won't turn out well at all, and it will only disappoint. :smallsigh:

Also, being cynical, negative and sad most of the time. Also low sense of self-esteem/worth/image. Maybe this vent should be kicked over to the depression thread instead...:smallconfused:

God, I hate it when I do that to myself. :smallfrown:

Tiger Duck
2011-10-24, 10:38 PM
Gee thanks for respecting my desire to not have it read. I knew it was most likely that some would read it anyway. But if none had quoted me, I could have at least pretended no one did

Spoilered reply.
I did the same thing. I was friends with my most recent ex. Even though I came home and caught her in bed with someone else. At which point my friends pointed out exactly how much of a doormat I was, at the prospect of me trying to remain friends with someone who lied to me and stabbed me in the back about as deep as it could go.

I even found myself rather liking a girl who could only be described as a hybrid of my ex and my current girlfriend. I could have dated her, but I made a conscious choice not to go for more of the same and expect some kind of different response the second go around.

I don't fault you for it. But the whole reason why you probably broke up with someone is that this person isn't the person you are/were attracted to. Just my two cents though, take it with a grain of salt.

As I said we didn't brake up, I got dumped. For me there wasn't any reason to break up, but for her there was.

She was my first girlfriend. And I was smothering her. And after she said I was she dumped me. Without letting me try to be less needy.

Ehh, I think it's less that you're not supposed to care, and more that, nowadays when a relationship ends, it's usually because of cheating(at least, that was my experience in the dating scene). If that's the case, then, yeah, you really shouldn't be "Caring" for the person. They cheated on you, they obviously had no real emotions or attachments to you in the first place, regardless of what you may want to believe.

If you do manage to split peacefully though, due to just not meshing well, then there is nothing wrong with still caring for the person.

Nobody cheated on anyone. And it wasn't a peaceful split. I haven't spoken to her in months. But I still want to know if she's doing good, If she's happy, If she still remembers me.

Starwulf
2011-10-24, 10:54 PM
Gee thanks for respecting my desire to not have it read. I knew it was most likely that some would read it anyway. But if none had quoted me, I could have at least pretended no one did

As I said we didn't brake up, I got dumped. For me there wasn't any reason to break up, but for her there was.

She was my first girlfriend. And I was smothering her. And after she said I was she dumped me. Without letting me try to be less needy.

Nobody cheated on anyone. And it wasn't a peaceful split. I haven't spoken to her in months. But I still want to know if she's doing good, If she's happy, If she still remembers me.

Ahh, well judging from your explanation to Karoht, I'd say you have every right to still have feelings for her, quite natural.

Tiger Duck
2011-10-24, 11:21 PM
Ahh, well judging from your explanation to Karoht, I'd say you have every right to still have feelings for her, quite natural.

They may be natural, but I do not have the right to have them. And they make me unhappy, because there is nothing I can do with them

Choco
2011-10-25, 09:48 AM
When someone is assigned to peer review your work, but obviously has NO CLUE as to what it is you were doing or the methods you used to do it... What follows is a day or more of wasting your time explaining why each and every change/"improvement" offered by the other person will not only not work, but will break the whole thing.

Karoht
2011-10-25, 10:11 AM
They may be natural, but I do not have the right to have them. And they make me unhappy, because there is nothing I can do with them
You're entitled to feel however you want. Clearly you care. A lot. Totally sucks that you can't do anything with it though.
I had that happen once with a girl. She was the dream girl, untouchable. Then one day she literally fell into my lap. I was the happiest guy on earth. Then we broke up because she was into other girls.
Trust me, it felt like hell knowing that even if I wanted to act on those feelings (which I did, very much) there was absolutely nothing I could do with them.
I cared about her. A lot. And I cared about her afterwards. She went down some bad roads. And every time I think about her I sincerely hope that she's okay and not face down in a ditch. And I sincerely do love her still, even if she can not and will not ever return it, even if I'm in a very committed relationship and can not and will not ever act on it.

Seriously, you're allowed to still care. It won't make it hurt any less, but you're allowed.

Maxios
2011-10-25, 01:09 PM
Bullying.

The elementary school I went to had a policy like that. Back in kindergarten, there was this one kid who would always try to punch me. I have good reflexes, so he only punched me around 1/2 of the team.
Eventually, I got so fed up with getting punched (even though I dodged most of the punches) I punched back one day, and hit him in the arm. And who got chewed out for this by a teacher?
Me.
Who didn't get in trouble?
The other guy.

Karoht
2011-10-25, 01:30 PM
The elementary school I went to had a policy like that. Back in kindergarten, there was this one kid who would always try to punch me. I have good reflexes, so he only punched me around 1/2 of the team.
Eventually, I got so fed up with getting punched (even though I dodged most of the punches) I punched back one day, and hit him in the arm. And who got chewed out for this by a teacher?
Me.
Who didn't get in trouble?
The other guy.
Naturally.

People who assert that violence solves nothing, and suggest being a doormat.

Okay, in the greater scope of the world, war does nothing. I get it, and I fully agree that it's silly.
But when it's some bully, there has to be a stand, a precedant set, a line drawn. I agree it doesn't have to be violent, but it's gotta start somewhere.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
Oh man, is that phrase ever true in the greater context of the world.

Traab
2011-10-25, 01:54 PM
Naturally.

People who assert that violence solves nothing, and suggest being a doormat.

Okay, in the greater scope of the world, war does nothing. I get it, and I fully agree that it's silly.
But when it's some bully, there has to be a stand, a precedant set, a line drawn. I agree it doesn't have to be violent, but it's gotta start somewhere.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
Oh man, is that phrase ever true in the greater context of the world.

Agreed, my schools had the same damn worthless stupid policy. Under the justification that its too much work to try and figure out who actually started the fight, everyone involved gets suspended. But of course there are exceptions.

My freshman year a senior football player attacked me out of nowhere. What I gathered from the brief bit of speaking he did was that he apparently heard from someone that I had said something bad about him. I got suspended, from what I heard afterwards, he was still going to class the next day. I never even had the CHANCE to fight back, he picked me up from behind and HURLED me into locker banks. Any time I stood up, he would hurl me again. I was a 90 pound 5 foot nothing reed. This guy was a musclebound football playing senior. Yeah, I picked a fight with him.

But outside of that event, at least I can say I earned my other suspensions for fighting. As I said, in school I was a skinny nerdy shrimp, so obviously bullies thought it would be smart to pick on me. And since my family moved every year, my reputation as someone to NOT pick a fight with never got transferred with me. So every year it would be the same thing. Some wannabe thug or tough guy starts with the insults, I fire back, generally far more effectively than he could. Eventually it degenerates over the course of the semester until he wants to fight. I beat the crap out of him after he attacks me, we both get suspended, and after that im set for bullies for the rest of the year. Then I move to a new school and sigh deeply with disgust because im going to have to do it again.

Finding a teacher never helps, trying to ignore it never helps. All that ever does help is beating the crap out of the guy who wont stop trying to pick a fight with you. Anything less identifies you as a door mat, easy prey, or a narc who deserves the beatings he gets afterwards. You can try and pretend it gives you the moral high ground to rise above it or whatever but all it does is make your school life miserable. It sucks to be the guy picked on. Dont let yourself be that guy. Sending your bully off with two busted lips and a bloody nose works most of the time, even if you look just as bad.

Karoht
2011-10-26, 12:40 PM
Misbalanced encouragement.

"Hey everyone, I found an ant!"
"Wow, thats amazing, good for you!"
"Hey everyone, I just discovered the cure for cancer!"
*crickets*

"Hey everyone, I just saved this company one penny every 10 years!"
"Why that's excellent, have a massive raise and a managerial position!"
"Hey everyone, I just saved this company 10 million dollars every month!"
"Good work Peterson. Now quit lollygagging and get back to it, time's a-wasting!"

polity4life
2011-10-26, 01:38 PM
Back injuries. I loathe back injuries. Why? I have been suffering from some mystery injury that has kept my back in a state of spasm, of varying degrees causing varying amounts of pain, for six months.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what I did. All I know is that moving can exacerbate the problems and reduce my quality of life. It hurts to lie down, sit, or stand for any extended period of time and I can only sleep while medicated. That wouldn't be a problem if the medication would wear off before I have to wake up for work the following day (usually up by 5:30 AM). That means I have to take this pill around 7 or 8 PM the previous night, thus killing it.

The other pill sends me to the moon and really inhibits my concentration, making work all the more difficult. However, with my alternative being consistent pain from my mid back all the way down to my pelvis, do I really have a choice?

And I'm really starting to dislike chiropractors. Sure, they can treat the symptoms but I need a solution. What am I receiving? More pain relief and further bilking of my insurance provider, as well as myself for the copays. Of course, I'm going to see my doctor later this week, but the fact that their business model is predicated solely on management when quality improvement AND management should be their foci pisses me off.

Asta Kask
2011-10-26, 01:42 PM
I'd be surprised if chiropractors could do even that. If they are 'straight' chiropractors then their beliefs are as well-grounded as homeopathy, iridology, or the belief that aliens are beaming away your thoughts. Listen to your chiropractor - if he starts talking about 'subluxations' then run, Forrest, run.

Karoht
2011-10-26, 02:02 PM
The medical professions making money on suffering.

Now we live in Canada, the biggest bill I ever had to pay was for my room and for cable when I was at the hospital for a skull fracture. A piece of my skull actually made it 3 inches into my brain. Yes, I had brain surgery, and the bill was less than $300, most of which was unrelated to the proceedure. This is without health insurance mind you.

Flip over to the vet industry up here. If your dog ends up sick, god help you.
My fiance is a vet. Her clinic doesn't have a specialist to do pins and plates when an animal comes in with a broken bone. Well, this one couple went to the animal emergency hospital here in Calgary. PS, if you live in Calgary, don't bring your animal there. Here's why.
So they bring the dog in. One of their doctors looks at the dog, recommended it be pinned and plated. No X-ray, nothing. They were going to charge 400 bucks to administer some painkillers until their specialist could see the dog. The specialist was going to charge another 2 grand for sedation alone (usually a sign of highway robbery right there, sedation is actually quite cheap), and then another 400 bucks per half hour to pin and plate a broken leg. The couple balked at these numbers. So they said they were just going to wait until morning and go to their normal clinic.
The hospital didn't believe they were going to seek treatment, and called the SPCA and Animal Bilaw Services. This couple was nearly arrested for not paying this extortion.
How much did my fiance's clinic charge you ask?
400 bucks for the X-rays, some pain meds and a splint, which is all the critter needed.

You think doctors are jerks to humans? Haa!

Parvovirus. Vaccine is $40. Treatment if your dog gets it is $500. Thats at my fiance's clinic.
Other clinics. Cheapest one in town other than her is $90 for the vaccine. Treatment will probably start at a grand and go up.
Bottom line, vaccinate your animals. Trust me on this.

I'm going to see my doctor later this week, but the fact that their business model is predicated solely on management when quality improvement AND management should be their foci pisses me off.
So, has corrective surgery been discussed at all? Has a cause been confirmed?

polity4life
2011-10-26, 02:10 PM
So, has corrective surgery been discussed at all? Has a cause been confirmed?

Nothing has been brought up yet. Tomorrow will be the day I discuss my problems with my doctor and we'll go from there. He's in a program where, by virtue of providing high quality care at the lowest cost, the insurance provider network he is a part of tries to funnel patients his way. I imagine surgery will only be discussed after an MRI and perhaps ultrasound or physical therapy are tried first.

As to the causes, I have no idea. The chiropractor made the argument, based on six x-rays, that my spine was settling on a series of tangents, causing the back muscles to work harder to maintain alignment, thus causing spasms, thus imflammation, pain, and stiffness. Considering the spasms have not abated after over a month of treatment tells me there's a nerve problem of some sort. If I had a problem with a disc I think I would have already been put under the knife.

Asta Kask
2011-10-26, 02:15 PM
Sounds he's one of those chiropractors who are connected to the real world. Still, remember, one word about subluxations and *scoot*.

polity4life
2011-10-26, 02:19 PM
Just to be clear about my pissing and moaning over my back and the treatment of my back problems, my doctor and chiropractor are different people. My doctor is my primary care physician while the chiropractor is a random specialist I went to because he practices close to my home.

I'm ceasing my relationship with my chiropractor and moving my hopes for treatment over to my PCP doctor.

I don't know what I would have done if this chiropractor started spouting off Hermetic chants...part of me would be intrigued while the other wondering why I'm throwing $25.00 away.

Kato
2011-10-31, 12:43 PM
Okay, I was going to make an extra thread or something or rant in another appropriate thread but now it's here...

So, I got a fun little story. See, with all the hyoe around ASOIAF when the series aired I thought about having a look at it but reading it firt. So I went to my local bookstores, several in fact, and after quite a while I managed to at least get the first German book. I read it, I was quite pleased, I went on the net and found a box of the first four English books. First off: I payed 15e for the German book, and 15€ encluding shipping for the English box. But that's cool, I can live with that. So, I started reading the second English book and was a tad surprised.

Ned is dead? Robert is dead? The Kingdom is at war? wait, what?

So I thought,,, okay, so they made a time skip and we get the previous events explained in flashbacks which worked kind of well enough for me. When I was getting ahead in the second book I watched the series expecting after the first half covered the first German book to have a similar time skip but instead they covered the time in between. I thought: Okay, I guess it works better this way...
So... now, after talking with a friend I FINALLY realized the !=&)$&(§ German publisher had the nerve to sell me HALF A BOOK for 15€ without ever mentioning it's half a book and I need to read this half unless I miss something important the series didn't cover. I guess it's partially my fault but I still feel betrayed and I have yet another reason never ever to buy a German book again. Especially not without thorough research on how they try to cheat on me this time.