PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-18, 11:21 AM
It's another one of these threads, yay.:smalltongue:

The thing is, i'm as technologically competent as a monkey, some might even say the monkey has more potential then me.

For the last couple of night my laptop has been starting up around 6 AM, even if it's closed. I'm a very light sleeper and it tends to wake me up.:smallannoyed:
Because I already have sleeping problems this...is less then welcome.

I run Windows 7 on a Samsung laptop, if that helps. Just two weeks ago or something I've ran a full virus and spyware scan so I doubt it's that...but still going to run one tomorrow if it happens again.

So, any advice? :smallredface::smallsigh:

Jack Squat
2011-10-18, 01:09 PM
Do you actually shut it down, or just close the lid or hit the power button?

On a lot of laptops, doing these will just put it into 'sleep' or 'hibernate' rather than actually shut down, and various programs can wake the computer from these.

EDIT: To see what's actually waking your computer, open up the command screen (type cmd in the search bar of the start menu), and type this in

powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

It should tell you what program is waking up your computer.

nedz
2011-10-18, 06:04 PM
Do you actually shut it down, or just close the lid or hit the power button?

On a lot of laptops, doing these will just put it into 'sleep' or 'hibernate' rather than actually shut down, and various programs can wake the computer from these.

EDIT: To see what's actually waking your computer, open up the command screen (type cmd in the search bar of the start menu), and type this in

powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

It should tell you what program is waking up your computer.

Tested this on my Win7 box and I get
Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help
Which is wierd because powercfg /? tells me that this is valid ?

YMMV

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-18, 06:59 PM
I just put it into sleep mode.

The command you gave me, gave no results, but I'l just completely turn off my laptop and see if that works. Thanks Jack.:smallsmile:

Jack Squat
2011-10-19, 08:31 AM
Huh, weird. That command works fine on XP (my work comp), and it's supposed to work on 7, but when I tried it I got no results as well. Oh well, that just tells you what's doing it, and doesn't really do anything to change it.

What you can do to stop this from happening is go into power options (either click on the battery meter and choose "more power options" or go though the control panel) and then click on the "Change plan settings" link for whichever power plan you're using.

After that, go into "Change Advanced Power Settings" and expand Sleep -> Allow Wake Timers. These will probably be set to "Enable", and you'll just change them to "Disable" and apply the changes.

Sipex
2011-10-19, 09:53 AM
What's probably happening is your anti-virus is set to automatically update at 6am. That tends to be the common cause of your computer reliably processing during off hours.

You could try leaving your laptop in another room so it can do it's thing.