PDA

View Full Version : bard songs in a can: getting theme music into the game?

Kol Korran
2011-10-18, 11:53 AM
this originates in D&D 3.5, but i think it could easily be adjusted to other systems.

so, i was trying to pick up music for thefinall session in my campaign (can be found in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218807) if you're interested, but it doesn't matter for this issue) when i thoguht to let a bard give them some magic item, that "holds" a song for them, that they could release when appropriate, gaining it's benefits (and allowing me to play the song).

but then i thought- these kind of magic items might have potential! PCs find (or morel liklely buy) "songs in a can" (need a better name, i know) that "record" their own favorite songs.

as they adventure, the player may decide to "hit it!" and then his/ her theme song is played, even granting bonuses in game!

some more thoughts:
- i think the player could choose some minor (or major) side effect of the song to reflect it'spower, and the player's personality/ musical taste and so on. would be a bit tricky to pirce, but not too much.

- should it be a consunable item, or a "X times a day/ week" kind of item? consumables make them more special, more unique, but repeated performances will contribute to actually making a "theme song" for the players.

- what happens when two or more want their song played? i think the idea is to have one song per encounter, or two for extra long ones...

so, does it sound like a fun idea? your thoughts? :smallsmile::smalltongue:

what would be YOUR theme song?