PDA

View Full Version : Miss Chance Stacking? [PF]

SamBurke
2011-10-18, 02:37 PM
Let's say I've got a cloak of Displacement (50% miss chance), and then I cast Blur on myself (20% miss chance). What happens?

Is this different in any case, like, say, if they come from different sources (a magic item, etc)?

Thanks!

Xtomjames
2011-10-18, 03:21 PM
Miss chances don't stack, rather they create two instances of checks. So for example, if you had a Ring of Blur, (20% misschance) a Dazzling Cloak (50% misschance) and a Cloak of Displacement (50% misschance) you wouldn't have a 120% misschance. Rather the person attacking you would have to roll 3 miss chances highest to lowest. The only time such misschances would ever stack (and this various with DMs and isn't by RAW) is when they are the same effective spell. A ring of Displacement and a Cloak of Displacement would stack (logically speaking, again not by RAW).

SamBurke
2011-10-18, 03:23 PM
Miss chances don't stack, rather they create two instances of checks. So for example, if you had a Ring of Blur, (20% misschance) a Dazzling Cloak (50% misschance) and a Cloak of Displacement (50% misschance) you wouldn't have a 120% misschance. Rather the person attacking you would have to roll 3 miss chances highest to lowest. The only time such misschances would ever stack (and this various with DMs and isn't by RAW) is when they are the same effective spell. A ring of Displacement and a Cloak of Displacement would stack (logically speaking, again not by RAW).

So... If I had two displacement items, it would mean I'd have miss chance of.. 100%? Or 75%?

ericgrau
2011-10-18, 03:24 PM
I think he meant overlap not stack in which case you'd only get 1 50% not rolling 50% twice, because they're the same thing and you can't be more displaced than displaced.

Also don't forget the cloak takes a standard action to activate which makes noise, so it's not a very good item unless it's your one and only buffing round item and you don't mind that you'll only be able to use it in half the fights (when you're the ambusher not the ambushee). The cloak of minor displacement is probably better, and then only at high levels when you can pony up the 20k for a minor defense.

SamBurke
2011-10-18, 03:25 PM
I think he meant overlap not stack in which case you'd only get 1 50% not rolling 50% twice, because they're the same thing and you can't be more displaced than displaced.

Those are two VERY different words...

ericgrau
2011-10-18, 03:27 PM
Yes, yes they are. But I mean that's what he meant not what he wrote. Either way that's how it works. Roll separately, but you don't get to roll twice for the same thing even if it comes from two different sources.