PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Binder Archer?

gbprime
2011-10-18, 02:45 PM
A dilemma has evolved through roleplay in my campaign. The PC's rescued a young elf binder, and she's clinging to the group for protection. But she's got security issues and is looking for a way to contribute to the group in some role that isn't otherwise covered.

So I'm toying with archery. As an elf, 4th level, and binding Leraje, she's... barely noteworthy. Any denizen of the forums have any ideas for levels 4-8 that don't require me to make a house rule or scrap the archery idea?

I should note the campaign isn't using Psionics or Incarnum, though I wouldn't be opposed to the latter.

Corlindale
2011-10-18, 03:01 PM
There aren't many vestiges made for archers (I agree Leraje seems rather underwhelming, especially if you are already an elf and/or have Precise Shot), but I suppose you could go the sneak-attack route for a bit of extra damage.

Malphas might be especially useful with his invisibility, to more easily get the ranged sneak attacks. He also gives you poison use, so she could spice things up with poisoned arrows as well.

Person_Man
2011-10-18, 03:16 PM
Pure archer would be difficult. But a ranged Binder in general would be fairly easy.

Elf can become Dragonborn with a simple ritual, giving her a breath weapon, which qualifies her for various (potent) metabreath feats, like Entangling Exhalation.

Amon, Focalor, Astaroth, and Orthos vestiges each offer increasingly potent breath weapons usable once every 5 round.

At level 4, bind Focalor. First round use your Focalor's Breath (modest damage, Save or Blind for 1 round, plus metabreath effects). Second round use your dragonborn breath weapon (modest damage + metabreath effects). Third round use Lightning Strike (3d6ish electricity damage). Beyond that, switch to a bow or nets while your powers recharge.

At level 5, bind Astaroth. First round use Suggestion ("I don't want you to get hurt, and your leader doesn't treat you with respect. You should just leave. That would be safer for you."). Second round use Asaroth's Breath (modest damage, Save or Sickened for 1d4 rounds + plus metabreath effects). Third round use your dragonborn breath weapon (modest damage + metabreath effects). Beyond that, switch to a bow/nets while your powers recharge.

At level 8, bind both Focalor and Astaroth, allowing you to blast every round.

At level 10 bind Zceryll for unlimited Summoning and Vanus for the Save or Lose fear aura or any of the blasty options above, and you're set.