PDA

View Full Version : HP Drain

Keegan__D
2011-10-18, 02:49 PM
I'm looking for good ways to cripple my opponents in more fun ways. HP drain (receiving the lost HP for myself) is mostly what I'm trying to find, but I only see the Vampiric Touch spell. I can't use it too often until high levels, and it peaks at 10d6 at 20th.
Poison and caster seems to be the best for ability damage/penalties, with many spells in the field and enough poisons to drop a Tarasque, but there's obviously not any HP drain to be found in poisons, and that's what I'm mostly after. Though, considering it's a skill and a feat, investment isn't too high, besides money.

Any sources (3.0 and 3.5), any classes, any items, as long as it provides HP drain and possibly ability damage/penalties.

SamBurke
2011-10-18, 02:50 PM
I'm looking for good ways to cripple my opponents in more fun ways. HP drain (receiving the lost HP for myself) is mostly what I'm trying to find, but I only see the Vampiric Touch spell. I can't use it too often until high levels, and it peaks at 10d6 at 20th.
Poison and caster seems to be the best for ability damage/penalties, with many spells in the field and enough poisons to drop a Tarasque, but there's obviously not any HP drain to be found in poisons, and that's what I'm mostly after. Though, considering it's a skill and a feat, investment isn't too high, besides money.

Any sources (3.0 and 3.5), any classes, any items, as long as it provides HP drain and possibly ability damage/penalties.

Direct HP drain is always a bad idea for getting rid of enemies, especially at high levels, where everything has massive amounts of HD.

Keegan__D
2011-10-18, 02:55 PM
Direct HP drain is always a bad idea for getting rid of enemies, especially at high levels, where everything has massive amounts of HD.

I'm not after anything to be extremely powerful, just something better than vampiric Touch. I'll worry about killing things once I find the base (source that provides decent HP drain) of my build.

tyckspoon
2011-10-18, 04:15 PM
Magic Item Compendium contains the Bodyfeeder and Vampiric properties and the weapon augment Crystals of Life Drinking. Bodyfeeder gives you temp HP based on the damage you did when you crit, Vampiric is lame but relevant (1d6 bonus damage, you heal the amount of that bonus damage, +2 property.) Life Drinking crystals heal 1/3/5 damage per hit up to 10/30/50 per day depending on the grade of the crystal (if you're really invested in this shtick, there's nothing stopping you from buying multiples and swapping them out as they become used.) There's also the Bloodstone weapon property, which functions as a Spell-storing that can only contain Vampiric Touch. The benefit is it gets an automatic free Empower from the weapon.

The ruling king of drain-healing, tho, is a Psychic Warrior using size category improvements and Vampiric Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vampiricBlade.htm)/Claws of the Vampire. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clawsoftheVampire.htm) Claws of the Beast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clawsoftheBeast.htm) is often used as the base power for that build because of the inherent base scaling, meaning you need fewer additional size increases (Imp. Natural Attack and Expansion, usually) to make it really painful. You could also do a Tashalatora Monk/PsyWar and use Vampiric Blade on your unarmed strikes.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 05:32 PM
You can also increase Vampiric touches damage with sneak attack damage. And also apply metamagic feats to it to make it scale. Like empower and maximize. Black Lore of Moil can add 2d6 dmg to it or 5d6 if heightened.

Some real cheesy ways to jack up vampiric touch:

Use Snowcasting to add a material component of ice to vampiric touch. This now gives it a cold descriptor allowing you to use energy substitution and energy admixture. Then use eschew materials to cast the spell without the added snow/ice material component. 10d6 negative energy 10d6 some other element.

Take spirited charge and do a mounted charging vampiric touch for double dmg.

Use arcane strike to channel a spell into a vampiric touch for extra to hit and dmg. anywhere from +1-+9 to hit and +1d4 to +9d4 extra dmg.

It's possible you could squeeze all of this into one cheasy vampiric touch.

Also, technically claws of the beast does not work with expansion. Expansion specifically lists the bonuses gained from the size increase and specifically states that other psionic or magical properties are not affected by this power. So you would use the dmg listing for your normal size. But expansion really isn't needed to make claws of the beast+ claws of the vampire work.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-18, 05:52 PM
Use Snowcasting to add a material component of ice to vampiric touch. This now gives it a cold descriptor allowing you to use energy substitution and energy admixture. Then use eschew materials to cast the spell without the added snow/ice material component. 10d6 negative energy 10d6 some other element.

If you want to take this further, you can go any old metamagic cost reduction build. Use fire for the energy admixture. Now you have a necromatic cold/fire spell that doesn't do any cold damage. Just does fire and negative energy unless you want to make it do fire/fire. Anyway because it is necromantic you can black lore it. Because it is cold you can add piercing cold. It doesn't do cold damage but piercing cold states that anything with cold vulnerability takes double dmg from a piercing cold spell. And you can add blistering together with heighten for 2x spell lvl fire dmg. Fiery spell for an extra 1 fire dmg per dice dmg of the spell (+20). And Searing will allow it to ignore fire resistance and deal half dmg versus fire immunity (normal dmg because of piercing cold) and double dmg versus cold vulnerability. 25d6+43 fire damage (x2 versus cold vulnerability). Could work in maximize and empower. Or possibly drop some stuff to make it a persistant vampiric touch so the temp hit points last all day instead of 1 hour.

Douglas
2011-10-18, 06:07 PM
Enemies and Allies has one of the best heal-through-hurting things in the game - Wrathful Healing weapon property, costs +3 and heals you for an amount equal to half the damage you deal with it.

Venger
2011-11-16, 02:48 AM
consumptive field.

it's a great little 4th lvl spell in the spell compendium that draws in all the HP of people in the negatives and gives you 1d8 temp HP , +2 str, and +1 CL per person killed (max 1/2 original CL) no max on the other stuff though

the spell is sort of underwhelming on its own when you realise it's only 1 round/lvl

unless you persist it with divine metamagic. then this spell lasts all day and becomes amazing. when you unlock 7th lvl spells, use the greater version instead, which is the same but with 9hp or less (yes it works for sponging up a bunch of commoners.

use these things, get FI health, FI strength and 1.5 times your CL

enjoy winning D&D

if you wanna be a little less cheesy then the profane lifeleech divine feat from libris mortis lets you burn 2 rebukes to crack off a 1d6 blast of untyped damage (no save, no atk roll) at every living thing in 30 feet of yourself and you take the total damage inflicted into yourself as HP (cannot top you off and give you bonus HP) the feat also can't shunt guys past 0hp, which was put in to stop combining it with persistent consumptive field (but they forgot about greater consumptive field. derp) it's a great companion to GCF, obviously, and it's as good a thing to burn your rebukes on as anything if you have any left in your DMM pool

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 03:44 AM
consumptive field.

it's a great little 4th lvl spell in the spell compendium that draws in all the HP of people in the negatives and gives you 1d8 temp HP , +2 str, and +1 CL per person killed (max 1/2 original CL) no max on the other stuff though

the spell is sort of underwhelming on its own when you realise it's only 1 round/lvl

unless you persist it with divine metamagic. then this spell lasts all day and becomes amazing. when you unlock 7th lvl spells, use the greater version instead, which is the same but with 9hp or less (yes it works for sponging up a bunch of commoners.

use these things, get FI health, FI strength and 1.5 times your CL

enjoy winning D&D

if you wanna be a little less cheesy then the profane lifeleech divine feat from libris mortis lets you burn 2 rebukes to crack off a 1d6 blast of untyped damage (no save, no atk roll) at every living thing in 30 feet of yourself and you take the total damage inflicted into yourself as HP (cannot top you off and give you bonus HP) the feat also can't shunt guys past 0hp, which was put in to stop combining it with persistent consumptive field (but they forgot about greater consumptive field. derp) it's a great companion to GCF, obviously, and it's as good a thing to burn your rebukes on as anything if you have any left in your DMM pool

If you want to be a little more cheesy with the old persistant extended greater consumptive field, use "chicken infested" (dragon #340 i think) or "summon elemental" (reserve feat complete mage) to conjure up an overwhelming number of victims in a short amount of time. Now you don't have to worry about the blowback of killing masses of commoners to sate your thirst for power. However, if their is a God of Chickens out their somewhere... watch out... He will be coming for you.

Venger
2011-11-16, 11:03 AM
If you want to be a little more cheesy with the old persistant extended greater consumptive field, use "chicken infested" (dragon #340 i think) or "summon elemental" (reserve feat complete mage) to conjure up an overwhelming number of victims in a short amount of time. Now you don't have to worry about the blowback of killing masses of commoners to sate your thirst for power. However, if their is a God of Chickens out their somewhere... watch out... He will be coming for you.

yep. the chicken thing is good (chicken with your cheese?) but I didn't want to hog all the good jokes.

summon elemental won't work, even the small one has too much health to be affected by GCF unless you attack him and attacking people is for characters without GCF.

speaking of gods, this is a great way to prebuff before you go off to kill them. it allows you a nigh infinite amount of HP and strength.

chicken infested, while hilarious, only allows you a 50% chance of drawing out a chicken when you reach for something in a belt of pouches/bag of holding/backpack/pocket/etc. so that's at most 1 chicken every 2 turns (on average) and GCF's temp HP only lasts 24 hours (then you gotta cast it again)
while you will still get a lot of chickens (26400, assuming you draw chickens for 8 hours straight getting on average 1 every 2 turns, to be specific, which is more chickens than any sane DM will allow you to buy on the open market) this will give you 26400d8 temp HP or 105600hp on average (just change the amount of time depending on if you need more than 1 turn to kill your god of choice, even half of that will get most of them) and give you a str boost of +52800 for a modifier of +26395, meaning that's added to your melee to-hit and damage (double to a 2 handed weapon)

if these numbers werent enough for you and you wanted to get really nuts, there's only one spell to use to supplement your GCF...

Genesis. Demiplane of chickens. As many chickens as your fowl little mind can imagine.

There is a god of chickens, (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CgJOQOLQh8o/SRue5VMHfUI/AAAAAAAAAB4/1S3BRbxXivU/s320/Far_Side_Colonel_Sanders.jpg) but with these kind of numbers, you can use GCF on him too (effectively "eating" him, which is oddly appropriate)

Psyren
2011-11-16, 11:11 AM
Psionics has a couple of ways to do this: Hostile Empathic Transfer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm) and Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm).

The Vitalist (Soulthief method) is built around this concept if you're willing to dip into Pathfinder.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-16, 11:13 AM
Don't forget prevenom, Psyren.

Venger
2011-11-16, 11:21 AM
there's also "thief of life" from faiths of eberron, a most excellent (and stupidly easy to qualify for) PrC that has this as kind of its thing. you kill/injure enemies with SA and heal yourself, gradually becoming immune to fatigue, death effects (!) and the capstone is every time you kill someone of your HD or more (not hard if you're playing D&D) you are immortal for 1 year. they are also prevented from return save a wish/miracle or true resurrection. and when they are, your spider sense tingles so you can go hunt them down again

another way of doing this is taking a 1 lvl dip in soul eater from BoVD. it's sort of difficult to be a "nonhumanoid with a natural attack" but warforged fits the bill rather nicely. take weapon focus (slam) and alertness and a couple of ranks in random crap and you're golden. you now have the energy drain ability. every time you punch somebody, they gain a negative level and you get 5 hp (10 on a crit) take it next time someone tells you monks suck. stay for 2 lvls to get a str boost every time you punch someone too

another way of doing this is taking the half-vampire template from libris mortis (you can be like wesley snipes!) which can give you its blood drain ability if you want it. bite an enemy, pin them, drain 1d4 con and heal 5hp .

Psyren
2011-11-16, 11:23 AM
Don't forget prevenom, Psyren.

Well... that poisons the target which isn't really a "drain."

But since we're on the subject of Psywar techniques, they do get Claws of the Vampire. Strength of my Enemy could be fluffed as a vampiric attack as well, though it drains Strength instead of HP.

A Psywar therefore has at least 4 "vampiric" options. And they can get even more (see my next post).

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 12:07 PM
yep. the chicken thing is good (chicken with your cheese?) but I didn't want to hog all the good jokes.

summon elemental won't work, even the small one has too much health to be affected by GCF unless you attack him and attacking people is for characters without GCF.

speaking of gods, this is a great way to prebuff before you go off to kill them. it allows you a nigh infinite amount of HP and strength.

chicken infested, while hilarious, only allows you a 50% chance of drawing out a chicken when you reach for something in a belt of pouches/bag of holding/backpack/pocket/etc. so that's at most 1 chicken every 2 turns (on average) and GCF's temp HP only lasts 24 hours (then you gotta cast it again)
while you will still get a lot of chickens (26400, assuming you draw chickens for 8 hours straight getting on average 1 every 2 turns, to be specific, which is more chickens than any sane DM will allow you to buy on the open market) this will give you 26400d8 temp HP or 105600hp on average (just change the amount of time depending on if you need more than 1 turn to kill your god of choice, even half of that will get most of them) and give you a str boost of +52800 for a modifier of +26395, meaning that's added to your melee to-hit and damage (double to a 2 handed weapon)

if these numbers werent enough for you and you wanted to get really nuts, there's only one spell to use to supplement your GCF...

Genesis. Demiplane of chickens. As many chickens as your fowl little mind can imagine.

There is a god of chickens, (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CgJOQOLQh8o/SRue5VMHfUI/AAAAAAAAAB4/1S3BRbxXivU/s320/Far_Side_Colonel_Sanders.jpg) but with these kind of numbers, you can use GCF on him too (effectively "eating" him, which is oddly appropriate)

1 chicken every 2 turns on average???

who says you can only reach for one thing a turn?

last for 24 hours?

extend that for 48 hours.

But yeh it's cheesy silly xD

Seerow
2011-11-16, 12:15 PM
One thing I haven't seen pointed out: The Devoted Spirit healing strikes/stance could easily be refluffed as vampiric attacks if you only use the healing on yourself. Either hardcode it in for your character via houserule/homebrew, or just don't use it on anyone else due to your self-enforced fluff.

Venger
2011-11-16, 01:40 PM
1 chicken every 2 turns on average???

who says you can only reach for one thing a turn?

last for 24 hours?

extend that for 48 hours.

But yeh it's cheesy silly xD

I thought that pulling something out of a bag was a standard action. (doesn't come up much in my games) am I wrong?

you are right about extending. silly me, I forgot about that.

well, yeah, but TO is fun to be silly

Psyren
2011-11-16, 02:00 PM
Expanding on the Psywar post - they so far have access to at least 4 methods of gaining vampiric abilities (HET, FSP, Vampiric Claws and Strength of my Enemy.)

There's more - let's add in the Soulbound Weapon ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a). Now they can create Bodyfeeder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#bodyfeeder) and Mindfeeder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#mindfeeder) weapons out of thin air.

Another option is simply to have the Psywar craft such weapons himself, and instead go with the Consumption mantle.

Then we can add in a couple more thematic powers. Psychic Vampire is a good one, as are Power Leech and Feat Leech.

Douglas
2011-11-16, 02:08 PM
I thought that pulling something out of a bag was a standard action. (doesn't come up much in my games) am I wrong?
That depends entirely on what you're trying to pull out from where. Getting a book out of a backpack? Move or standard, not sure which. Sword from it's scabbard when you have Quick Draw? Free action. Bat poo from a spell component pouch? Free action. And yet ALL of these qualify for the "accidental" live chicken possibility.

Pick the spell component pouch one, and you don't even have to worry about running out. Take out a component as a free action, drop the component or live chicken as a free action, whichever you happened to get, and repeat. It's all free actions.

Venger
2011-11-16, 02:14 PM
That depends entirely on what you're trying to pull out from where. Getting a book out of a backpack? Move or standard, not sure which. Sword from it's scabbard when you have Quick Draw? Free action. Bat poo from a spell component pouch? Free action. And yet ALL of these qualify for the "accidental" live chicken possibility.

Pick the spell component pouch one, and you don't even have to worry about running out. Take out a component as a free action, drop the component or live chicken as a free action, whichever you happened to get, and repeat. It's all free actions.

aren't you limited to 1 free action a turn though? and aren't they only usable on your turn? (not that you'd be doing this chicken buffing in combat)

I know spell component is the best (so that's what I assumed) but isnt it still only 1/turn?

Psyren
2011-11-16, 02:16 PM
aren't you limited to 1 free action a turn though?

No, you can take as many free actions as you want (within reason/DM approval.)

Free actions = NI
Swift actions = 1
Immediate actions = 1, uses up your next swift
Move actions = 1
Standard actions = 1

Venger
2011-11-16, 02:36 PM
No, you can take as many free actions as you want (within reason/DM approval.)

Free actions = NI
Swift actions = 1
Immediate actions = 1, uses up your next swift
Move actions = 1
Standard actions = 1

huh. ok then. infinite chickens all the time then. I think that the DM's common sense may intervene there (how long does it take to pull a chicken out of a bag, at least a second or two) and impose some kind of limit, but in any event it's a lot of chickens

CommodoreCrunch
2011-11-16, 04:24 PM
Psionics has a couple of ways to do this: Hostile Empathic Transfer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/empathicTransferHostile.htm) and Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm).

The Vitalist (Soulthief method) is built around this concept if you're willing to dip into Pathfinder. This method is VERY fun. Vitalist, however, would be a long-term investment to get the best benefits (at least 11 levels, IIRC) and is first and foremost a healer class, so it might not be ideal depending on how you want to go. It is, however, a very unique healer that looks rather fun to play. But any psionic class can access the above mentioned powers with a feat, so it's a perfectly viable method.

Venger
2011-11-16, 05:17 PM
This method is VERY fun. Vitalist, however, would be a long-term investment to get the best benefits (at least 11 levels, IIRC) and is first and foremost a healer class, so it might not be ideal depending on how you want to go. It is, however, a very unique healer that looks rather fun to play. But any psionic class can access the above mentioned powers with a feat, so it's a perfectly viable method.

forced share pain combined with a delay death on yourself will kill almost anything in the game. this is especially useful for enemies with resistances, immunities, DR, or just a high AC. dump a bunch of PP into this power to drive the DC up, have an ally cast delay death up on yourself (persist/extend if possible but it's not strictly necessary) and then have the party just beat the hell out of the psion (you don't wear armor, they're going to hit. make it easier and lie down for melee if necessary)

either keep a bucket of water handy to take care of yourself before delay death wears off :smalltongue: or just tell your buddies not to go too overboard with damage. endless fun

Psyren
2011-11-16, 05:24 PM
forced share pain combined with a delay death on yourself will kill almost anything in the game. this is especially useful for enemies with resistances, immunities, DR, or just a high AC. dump a bunch of PP into this power to drive the DC up, have an ally cast delay death up on yourself (persist/extend if possible but it's not strictly necessary) and then have the party just beat the hell out of the psion (you don't wear armor, they're going to hit. make it easier and lie down for melee if necessary)

either keep a bucket of water handy to take care of yourself before delay death wears off :smalltongue: or just tell your buddies not to go too overboard with damage. endless fun

Psionics Expanded has its own version of Delay Death, called Defer Fatality, so you don't need to involve another caster at all. With this up, your allies can beat and slash you all the way down to -100 or beyond without you dying, so long as they don't get overzealous and CDG you or remove your head.

Venger
2011-11-16, 07:16 PM
Psionics Expanded has its own version of Delay Death, called Defer Fatality, so you don't need to involve another caster at all. With this up, your allies can beat and slash you all the way down to -100 or beyond without you dying, so long as they don't get overzealous and CDG you or remove your head.

Defer Fatality is from Bruce Cordell's most excellent "Hyperconscious", is that what you mean by psionics expanded? or is it somewhere else too?

instantaneous is nice, and 250xp is nothing for godkilling. they can't CDG unless they specifically do it. unless your friend has a vorpal whatever, you oughta be good, but in that case, they were trying to kill you.

Psyren
2011-11-16, 07:25 PM
Defer Fatality is from Bruce Cordell's most excellent "Hyperconscious", is that what you mean by psionics expanded? or is it somewhere else too?

I actually forgot that power originally came from Hyperconscious :smalltongue:

Nah, by Psionics Expanded/Unleashed I was referring to the Pathfinder update for the psionics rules (Unleashed is on the SRD here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes).) The writers mentioned that Cordell had given them permission to reprint Hyperconscious material, but I hadn't been specifically looking for what was converted and what wasn't.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 09:09 PM
huh. ok then. infinite chickens all the time then. I think that the DM's common sense may intervene there (how long does it take to pull a chicken out of a bag, at least a second or two) and impose some kind of limit, but in any event it's a lot of chickens

Exotic weapons proficiency Gnomish quickrazor. You could rationalize drawing that thing about 20 times a turn.

Hmmmm, this strategy seems familiar. I wonder where I have heard it from.

Venger
2011-11-16, 09:50 PM
I actually forgot that power originally came from Hyperconscious :smalltongue:

Nah, by Psionics Expanded/Unleashed I was referring to the Pathfinder update for the psionics rules (Unleashed is on the SRD here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes).) The writers mentioned that Cordell had given them permission to reprint Hyperconscious material, but I hadn't been specifically looking for what was converted and what wasn't.

oh, ok. I'm not familiar with pathfinder. I only went through my 3.5 stuff and found it in hyperconscious

Exotic weapons proficiency Gnomish quickrazor. You could rationalize drawing that thing about 20 times a turn.

Hmmmm, this strategy seems familiar. I wonder where I have heard it from.

true, but your number of attacks is still limited

my apologies, I didn't mean to claim any undue credit, it just seemed relevant to the discussion at hand. I've got a bunch of tabs open and was posting in the "weird rules" thread a while ago. we've all got the same avatars so that doesn't help either. I'm repeating it because it is a good idea and is likely to elicit lulz

Hawkings
2011-11-16, 09:52 PM
If you could find a way to get health or power by draining/absorbing blood around you or more realistically part of the damage done by a spell, Avaculate and Avacular Mass from Libris mortis would help with your vampire theme, combine it with your greater consumptive field for extra win sauce.

Both spells reduce the HP of the target for 1/2 it's current health, so that dragon with 500hp is down to 250 in a single round with possibility of stun or in Avacular mass's case also entangled, and down to 125 if hit again.

There are other spells out there that'll probably do more damage, but there's nothing quite like killing an enemy with their own blood and hanging them to the ceiling at the same time.

I'm curious though is there anything out there that lets you do something similar to blood drain with already spilled blood, because I always wanted to drink up the bloody mess with a vampire. >:3

Venger
2011-11-16, 10:04 PM
If you could find a way to get health or power by draining/absorbing blood around you or more realistically part of the damage done by a spell, Avaculate and Avacular Mass from Libris mortis would help with your vampire theme, combine it with your greater consumptive field for extra win sauce.

Both spells reduce the HP of the target for 1/2 it's current health, so that dragon with 500hp is down to 250 in a single round with possibility of stun or in Avacular mass's case also entangled, and down to 125 if hit again.

There are other spells out there that'll probably do more damage, but there's nothing quite like killing an enemy with their own blood and hanging them to the ceiling at the same time.

I'm curious though is there anything out there that lets you do something similar to blood drain with already spilled blood, because I always wanted to drink up the bloody mess with a vampire. >:3
there's always "extract water elemental" from the spell compendium. you pull a water elemental from the water your enemy's blood (or other relevant fluids) and inflict 1d6 dmg/lvl, fort half. if this kills it, you get a water elemental the creature's size that persists for 1 minute.

you could always fluff it as being made of blood, it'd carry no mechanical benefit

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 10:54 PM
true, but your number of attacks is still limited
lulz

Yeh but number of attacks doesn't matter. The point is "number of times you reached for your quickrazor." Because thats how many times you had a chance to catch a chicken instead. I'm saying you can spin that dagger around raching to catch it then spinning it to sheathe it around 18-20 times in a turn. And reasonably defend this number to a GM. Sometimes instead of catching your dagger when you reach for it, you catch a chicken instead. This doesn't slow you down any because you immediately just let go of the chicken (the dead chicken I might add) and continue spinning your quickrazor.

Even if your GM argues you down a bit you will still probably be able to get the number up to an average 5 chickens a turn. (+10 str in one turn is quite the power up). This makes it possible to make a super sayan power up pose as dead chickens fly off of you in combat. But you don't even need to do this in combat. Since it lasts 48 hours you can just "Spin chickens" for a couple of hours on Tues, Thurs, Saturday one week and Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday the next week, alternating. You will easily have a strength score in the several thousand.

my apologies, I didn't mean to claim any undue credit, it just seemed relevant to the discussion at hand. I've got a bunch of tabs open and was posting in the "weird rules" thread a while ago. we've all got the same avatars so that doesn't help either. I'm repeating it because it is a good idea and is likely to elicit lulz

I didn't mean it that way. I put a smiley at the end of my comment to imply lightheartedness, but it didn't show up in the post.

I thought it was fun to see one of my in game testimonies show up randomly in another thread.

I'm glad you liked it. It is a pretty solid deity kill.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 11:11 PM
A fun character I have done before with this theme

Race-Jovoc (MM3)

Class- Ardent

Manditory Mantle- Pain and suffering mantle

Manditory feats- psicrystal , feat that lets you psionically focus as a move action, feat that lets your psicrystal hold an extra psionic focus for you.

How it works-
As damage comes in, you share that damage with every non tanari in 30 feet of you. They can make a con-based Fort DC to halve the damage.

Once per round, use an immediate action and expend your psionic focus to share half the damage of the next melee attack that hit's you. (stacks with retributive aura for 100%-150% of the dmg!)

On your turn-

If you are out of psionic foci then use a move to recharge it.

Standard- use leeching style powers to shift damage around.
I.E. Hurt them to heal you.
or use psionic healing to heal up.

Out of combat buffs- stuff to raise temp hit points.

Lots of room left to fill in for more tricks. This trick is very resource light.

Anything that SAB's on con is good.

Anything that raises HP is good.

Aside from that you got lots of powers, gold, feats, ect left over to do whatever you want.

P.S. most memorable moment for this character-
A hafling outrider mounted charger guy did around 450 dmg with his charge. My hit points + temp hit points were at 570. I went down to 130 hit points. He took 675 damage. His mount, cleric ally, wizard ally, and the wizards familiar all took 450 damage. They all dieded.

Venger
2011-11-16, 11:26 PM
Yeh but number of attacks doesn't matter. The point is "number of times you reached for your quickrazor." Because thats how many times you had a chance to catch a chicken instead. I'm saying you can spin that dagger around raching to catch it then spinning it to sheathe it around 18-20 times in a turn. And reasonably defend this number to a GM. Sometimes instead of catching your dagger when you reach for it, you catch a chicken instead. This doesn't slow you down any because you immediately just let go of the chicken (the dead chicken I might add) and continue spinning your quickrazor.

Even if your GM argues you down a bit you will still probably be able to get the number up to an average 5 chickens a turn. (+10 str in one turn is quite the power up). This makes it possible to make a super sayan power up pose as dead chickens fly off of you in combat. But you don't even need to do this in combat. Since it lasts 48 hours you can just "Spin chickens" for a couple of hours on Tues, Thurs, Saturday one week and Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday the next week, alternating. You will easily have a strength score in the several thousand.

ohh, that's what you meant. okay, I misunderstood thinking you meant infinite attacks. you mean infinite draws and getting a chicken instead, that's true. the infinite dead chickens flying from nowhere just killed me with laughter, as did the phrase "spin chickens" that's tempting signature bait, if that's cool with you

I didn't mean it that way. I put a smiley at the end of my comment to imply lightheartedness, but it didn't show up in the post.

I thought it was fun to see one of my in game testimonies show up randomly in another thread.

I'm glad you liked it. It is a pretty solid deity kill.
oh, okay, I'm glad to hear that. okay, I didn't see it.

glad you thought so. I really did like it, it's quite elegant.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-16, 11:34 PM
the infinite dead chickens flying from nowhere just killed me with laughter, as did the phrase "spin chickens" that's tempting signature bait, if that's cool with you.

I was laughing myself while I was writing it :smallbiggrin:

The mental image makes me wish I had a webcomic and artistic talent. But alas, I fail at these things.

And sure, sig all you want :thog:

Venger
2011-11-16, 11:54 PM

The mental image makes me wish I had a webcomic and artistic talent. But alas, I fail at these things.

challenge: accepted

check this thread in about an hour (maybe less)

and thanks :elan:

kardar233
2011-11-16, 11:59 PM
Just gonna warn you, without a full-attack channel like a Duskblade, Vampiric Touch really sucks.

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-17, 12:05 AM
Just gonna warn you, without a full-attack channel like a Duskblade, Vampiric Touch really sucks.

Uh i JUST had a game a month ago where I used that "suck" 2nd lvl spell to slurp 132 temp hit points off a fodder giant at the beginning of a dungeon. Current day, it is still in effect and has not been completely whittled through yet. If a 2nd lvl spell taking my 80ish hit point wizard to 212 hit points (279 because of normal temp hit point buffs) is "suck", then i guess give me lots more suck please.

Claudius Maximus
2011-11-17, 12:57 AM
Yeah but that's with some kind of optimization, since that's more than double the spell's maximum normal effect. Casting the spell under normal circumstances just doesn't have a particularly huge effect for the action and potential cost, and having to be next to an enemy to cast it.

Venger
2011-11-17, 01:30 AM
challenge: accepted

check this thread in about an hour (maybe less)

and thanks :elan:

challenge: conquered.

can anyone tell me how to save scanned pictures to my computer with an HP 4480? when I scan it just prints me out a blurry copy which would be great if I wanted to mail it to you like a pilgrim.

as soon as I can figure out how to do that, I'll post a photobucket link, it turned out awesome.

kardar233
2011-11-17, 02:48 AM
Uh i JUST had a game a month ago where I used that "suck" 2nd lvl spell to slurp 132 temp hit points off a fodder giant at the beginning of a dungeon. Current day, it is still in effect and has not been completely whittled through yet. If a 2nd lvl spell taking my 80ish hit point wizard to 212 hit points (279 because of normal temp hit point buffs) is "suck", then i guess give me lots more suck please.

Yeah but that's with some kind of optimization, since that's more than double the spell's maximum normal effect. Casting the spell under normal circumstances just doesn't have a particularly huge effect for the action and potential cost, and having to be next to an enemy to cast it.

10 points each for not getting the joke.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-17, 02:54 AM
10 points each for not getting the joke.

Well done sirrah! You have bamboozled us all quite expertly!

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-17, 03:18 AM
Kardar take notes, this is text based sarcasm done right.

Well done sirrah! You have bamboozled us all quite expertly!

Hawkings
2011-11-17, 03:29 AM

I've been snickering all day thanks to this threads chicken slaughtering powerups. Someday I want to try it in a game.
So here I drew a comic for you guys:
I don't know about you, but chickens give me strength! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Vegitto-Kun/Forum/Chickensgivemestrength1.jpg)

Your friendly neighborhood webcomic artist (http://www.smackjeeves.com/profile.php?id=60730) delivers.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-17, 10:07 AM
Lollery abounds!

Gotterdammerung
2011-11-17, 10:59 AM
I've been snickering all day thanks to this threads chicken slaughtering powerups. Someday I want to try it in a game.
I don't know about you, but chickens give me strength! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Vegitto-Kun/Forum/Chickensgivemestrength1.jpg)

Your friendly neighborhood webcomic artist (http://www.smackjeeves.com/profile.php?id=60730) delivers.
FALCON PUNCH!~

Zombulian
2012-01-17, 11:48 PM

It's called a spell component bag, foo'! Not sure if anyone corrected you on that... but yea, infinite chickens.

Rubik
2012-01-19, 09:42 PM
Exotic weapons proficiency Gnomish quickrazor. You could rationalize drawing that thing about 20 times a turn.You mean quick-chicken.

Zombulian
2012-01-19, 10:16 PM
the problem with quickrazors is... well actually I don't know the rules on them. Can you sheath them again as a free action as well?

Douglas
2012-01-19, 10:20 PM
the problem with quickrazors is... well actually I don't know the rules on them. Can you sheath them again as a free action as well?
Yes. That's why it's a popular choice for Chicken Infested builds, and also for Iaijutsu Focus builds.

Zombulian
2012-01-19, 10:24 PM
Ooh that's pretty cool.

Gotterdammerung
2012-01-19, 11:25 PM

Haha. This thread getting bumped made my week. I had totally forgotten about this epic journey of the ages, where one thread finally realizes its dream to become a comic strip.

Venger
2012-01-19, 11:30 PM
yep, this thread was a lot of fun. I was happy to get the chance to bring your cool idea up again in the DMM thread :)