PDA

View Full Version : In the gathering... [Gathering Interest, BGT LP]

arguskos
2011-10-18, 04:17 PM
...interest! Sorry, couldn't really pass up a chance to make a "in the gathering dark" joke. Forgive me. :smalltongue:

I'm considering throwing my hat into the ring as a tribute to The Anti Hero's fantastic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214896) BGT LP and as a kind of memory for my own old one. I have a wonderfully curious twist on the tired old favorite that I've never seen done or even attempted, and wanted to share it with people that might appreciate it. There's... honestly not a lot of interaction on your part (though, currently, slot six in the party is up for temporary grabs [we'll come to that in a moment]), which I know turns a lot of people off of an LP, thus the "hey, anyone care to read something crazy?"

I also have a terrible time crunch now and forever, meaning that updates would be slow, about once a week until winter break in December, when two a week is a real possibility, though BG1 is going rapidly so far (seriously, it's going to be like 8 updates long, I have a very concise plot in mind; trust me, there's a good reason).

However, if you are interested, please do one of two things:
1. Post here and tell me about it!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO THIS IF YOU ARE AT ALL INTERESTED.

2. If you're like, super interested, and want to see yourself in the game (:smallamused:), PM me a character idea that would fit into a band of mercs and is not a mage. Do not give me one line of text that's all "durr fightgars be goods". I'll hate you forever for that. Instead, give me a who/what/why outline of a dude, who they are, what they are, and why I should care about them. You know, like you'd give a DM in a face-to-face game. :smallwink: There's a very real possibility that I'll be including a few of these characters, and I like having some viewer interaction.

If no one cares/wants this/whatevs, ok, coolio. If someone does, I'm super jazzed to do it. Let me know!

arguskos
2011-10-19, 11:05 AM
What, am I just on everybody's ignore lists or somethin'? Come on folks, someone's gotta have something to say (even just a "meh, not digging it" would be nice).

Here, I'll provide the first screenshot of the game. It might raise interest and will give viewers some indication of what the twist I mentioned is.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/BGT%20LP/Image1.png

ZeltArruin
2011-10-19, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see this, and I am working on a few character ideas right now, I might send you one or two of. On BG1 being short: no problem, BG2 is better anyway :smalltongue:.

Edit: hm, so far looking at cleric/ranger because they are awesome, rogue, maybe swash, maybe assassin, or some kind of beat-stick (literally, uses staves) fighter.

arguskos
2011-10-19, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see this, and I am working on a few character ideas right now, I might send you one or two of. On BG1 being short: no problem, BG2 is better anyway :smalltongue:.
Good to hear that someone at least is interested. :smallsmile:

Edit: hm, so far looking at cleric/ranger because they are awesome, rogue, maybe swash, maybe assassin, or some kind of beat-stick (literally, uses staves) fighter.
If any of these pan out, lemme know. :smallcool:

Anyone else interested? Or am I going to be performing for an audience of one (ie. not performing, since while I love you and everything Zeit, yeah, lotta work for a single watcher).

The Anti Hero
2011-10-19, 02:43 PM
For my part, I believe that this playground isn't big enough for two BGT LP's :smallamused:

Anyways, I'm perfectly willing to say that if you do start this up, I'll be sure to read it. If nothing else, I'd be really curious to see where you'd go with all of this.

At least from what I've gotten from your post, you're planning on making Gorion's ward into a older, mature figure who is capable and experience. In other words, I perfectly understand why he'd be able to whip through the first game in record time.

Of course, this makes me wonder how you'd handle all of this. Would it be necessary to use DLTCEP to rewrite some of the dialogue and change the storyline? For one, I can't see your figure running off after getting ambushed outside of Candlekeep; rather, an experienced mage like Arcturus would help his "brother" out in massacring the attackers. Similarly, having an older protagonist would change the dynamic that he'd have with NPC's (like Imoen). Simply said, I'm rather curious about how this would all work.

Oh, and my personal two-cents about a player character:

Apart from Sarevok in Throne of Bhaal, there aren't really any sinister NPCs who want the protagonist to give into their heritage and become the new Lord of Murder. In that regard, I think it would be interesting to have a character something akin to Winski: a NPC who is only with the protagonist to enhance his/her own power. An NPC who is evil, who is deliberately trying to manipulate the protagonist, and would be perfectly happy to see the protagonist give into the darkness of his/her heritage

Of course, to make the dynamic more interesting, the protagonist could have any number of relationships with this individual. The two might be old friends, or the protagonist might be so severely manipulated that they don't even realize that their "friend" is really actually trying to manufacture a fall into darkness. Alternatively, the protagonist could realize the conniving nature of the companion, but could be trying to use this figure to their own ends. On the one hand, the evil bastard could be used as a cannon of sorts: an evil-SOB, but one who is in the service of the protagonist. Alternatively, the protagonist could attempt to deftly redeem the evil-SOB: a kind of counter-manipulation, if you will, aimed at creating a turn towards the light. Such a character could also provide generate a number of inner-party conflicts (i.e. other people getting sick of the character or claim that he's set to betray the party).

Ideally, I'd see this character being a mage/cleric. Especially at the higher levels, this combination can be absurdly powerful. Additionally, this character would be either chaotic evil or neutral evil (both could be fun, and would be written different ways).

But hey, that's just my proverbial two-cents. I'm just a fan of seeing things which havn't been done before tried.

Mx.Silver
2011-10-19, 02:58 PM
What, am I just on everybody's ignore lists or somethin'? Come on folks, someone's gotta have something to say (even just a "meh, not digging it" would be nice).

As a general rule, 'gathering interest in an LP' threads attract very little attention, only exceptions I've seen being for larger-scale strategy games. If you post it up though I'll probably read it and comment (who knows, I might even have something positive to say :smalltongue:). No character suggestions though, if you're going the 'make your own party route' you're on your own there.*

*Unless, you know, someone else decides to suggest things.

arguskos
2011-10-19, 03:11 PM
For my part, I believe that this playground isn't big enough for two BGT LP's :smallamused:
Oh quiet you. :smalltongue:

Realistically, they are insanely different. My approach to a BGTLP is quite different than yours. In mine, the characters talk in-game, and involve all custom characters. There's very little "between images" text.

Anyways, I'm perfectly willing to say that if you do start this up, I'll be sure to read it. If nothing else, I'd be really curious to see where you'd go with all of this.
Yay validation!

At least from what I've gotten from your post, you're planning on making Gorion's ward into a older, mature figure who is capable and experience. In other words, I perfectly understand why he'd be able to whip through the first game in record time.
Something like that, yes.

Of course, this makes me wonder how you'd handle all of this. Would it be necessary to use DLTCEP to rewrite some of the dialogue and change the storyline? For one, I can't see your figure running off after getting ambushed outside of Candlekeep; rather, an experienced mage like Arcturus would help his "brother" out in massacring the attackers. Similarly, having an older protagonist would change the dynamic that he'd have with NPC's (like Imoen). Simply said, I'm rather curious about how this would all work.
1. No, I will not be rewriting dialogue. I have a work around for that.

2. Game NPCs will not be joining us on this magical adventure.

Oh, and my personal two-cents about a player character:
Ah, I see. Interesting.

As a general rule, 'gathering interest in an LP' threads attract very little attention, only exceptions I've seen being for larger-scale strategy games. If you post it up though I'll probably read it and comment (who knows, I might even have something positive to say :smalltongue:). No character suggestions though, if you're going the 'make your own party route' you're on your own there.*
I've posted this sorta thing before and garnered a few responses. I consider it respectful, but then again, I'm some kind of insane monkey person.

*Unless, you know, someone else decides to suggest things.
Heaven forbid! :smalltongue:

Given that at least three people are said to be interested, and the thread views make me hopeful that maybe a few more folks are as well, I think I'll go ahead and get this under way tonight. More details about the LP itself will be forthcoming at that time.

arguskos
2011-10-19, 10:01 PM
Might as well make a note here: LP is begun! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219544)