PDA

View Full Version : Cool mathematicians names

danzibr
2011-10-18, 08:29 PM
And I'm sure this goes for any other field of... well, anything else, really. Physicists, chemists, biologists, musicians, whatever. My wife and I are getting a dog and I was suggesting some mathematicians names. Here are a few I think are neat:

Hausdorff
Chebyshev
Vitushkin
Orlicz
Rolewicz

And some guy in one of my math classes once:

Vachiraprapun.

shawnhcorey
2011-10-18, 08:41 PM
Euler
Gödel
Leibniz
Gauss
Hypatia
Ada

Heliomance
2011-10-18, 09:00 PM
Cauchy. Because Cauchy gets sodding everywhere.
Fourier.
Sylow (pronounced see-lov)
Riemann
Pythagoras

Nix Nihila
2011-10-18, 09:01 PM
Mandelbrot (I almost had an opportunity to have lunch with him once, but it didn't work out :smallfrown:)
Al-khwarizmi
Weierstrass
Ramanujan
Zermelo
Lobachevsky
Fermat
Archimedes

Trazoi
2011-10-18, 09:15 PM
"Hilbert" could work as a cute name for a dog.

AsteriskAmp
2011-10-18, 09:32 PM
Satyendra Nath, best physicist name ever.

Yanagi
2011-10-18, 09:33 PM
Augusta Ada Byron

Comrade
2011-10-18, 09:37 PM
If anyone does not get the reference when I say you absolutely must name your dog Copernicus (and then go and buy a DeLorean) you are SAD.

Tirian
2011-10-18, 09:39 PM
Ramanujan

That would be an awesome name for a cat, but then you'd have to have a dog named Hardy.

Rockphed
2011-10-18, 09:40 PM
Fourier
Laplace
Dirichlet(pronounced De ree shlay)
Dirac
Bernoulli
Maxwell

Heliomance
2011-10-19, 04:46 AM
Singh
Turing

GrlumpTheElder
2011-10-19, 04:58 AM
I know he is a chemist, but I think this guy's name is awesome:
Friedrich August Kekulé von Stradonitz

Johann Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet is a mathematician with a good name

as is Johann Gottlieb Friedrich von Bohnenberger

Almost as good as Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg, who unfortunately wasn't a scientist at all...

H Birchgrove
2011-10-19, 05:19 AM
Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Gottfried Leibniz
René Descartes/Renatus Cartesius
Arthur C. Clarke
Stephen Hawking

Asta Kask
2011-10-19, 05:32 AM
Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, aka Paracelsus, was a Swiss Renaissance physician, botanist, alchemist, astrologer, and general occultist. And he had the coolest names, particularly Bombastus.

Knaight
2011-10-19, 06:24 AM
Pascal
Higgs*
Bohr
Born
Mendelev
Rutherford
J. J. Thompson**
Boyle
Gay-Lussac
Avogadro
Darwin
Lamarck
Mendel

*That whole Higgs Boson business is due to his theory. So he's kind of a big deal, if not particularly well known.

**This only works if you use the initials, otherwise it is quite mundane.

Scarlet Knight
2011-10-19, 06:56 AM
Planck! Here Planck!

@v:smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2011-10-19, 07:09 AM
Planck! Here Planck!

I want to get a dog just before having children and call him Planck. He'll be the sort of pet that was just always there, so that my kids will know that even though friends may come and go.

Planck will always be constant.
:smallcool:

danzibr
2011-10-19, 07:11 AM
Mandelbrot (I almost had an opportunity to have lunch with him once, but it didn't work out :smallfrown:)

Lobachevsky
Whoa! I'm jealous. I've been into fractals since my fourth year of college.

Also, I forgot about the name Lobachevsky. Great one.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-19, 08:31 AM
+1 for Riemann.

If it's a small dog, name it Ĺngström.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-10-19, 09:06 AM
Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, aka Paracelsus, was a Swiss Renaissance physician, botanist, alchemist, astrologer, and general occultist. And he had the coolest names, particularly Bombastus.

That name is made of win...

I want to get a dog just before having children and call him Planck. He'll be the sort of pet that was just always there, so that my kids will know that even though friends may come and go.

As is that idea...

Seriously, both of these posts made me smile, for different reasons

The Succubus
2011-10-19, 09:19 AM
If you're undecided about getting a dog, name it Schroedinger (?sp). Of course, when you actually get the dog, you'll need to change its name.

Xuc Xac
2011-10-19, 10:35 AM
I can't believe nobody has suggested Erdős yet.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 12:14 PM
Archimedes. What could be cooler than a big ol' airship a Batman Blue Beetle expy flies around in?:smallwink:

mootoall
2011-10-19, 01:58 PM
+1 to Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevski. Extra cookie for Tom Lehrer's song. Edit: And if we're going for Greeks with names from DC Comics, Aristotle (nicknamed Tot) is much cooler.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-19, 03:20 PM

If you want a constant, go for a turtle, dogs don't get more than 15 years-ish (depends in size), turtles go on forever. Your children will have to take care of that turtle long after you've passed on.

Though at that time it'll probably be called 'that damned turtle' instead of Planck.

Mono Vertigo
2011-10-20, 07:51 AM
Archimedes. What could be cooler than a big ol' airship a Batman Blue Beetle expy flies around in?:smallwink:

Archimedes is better for doves, though.

Ashtar
2011-10-20, 08:29 AM
Poor Évariste Galois, always forgotten.

Évariste Galois (French pronunciation: [evaʁist ɡalwa]) (October 25, 1811 – May 31, 1832) was a French mathematician born in Bourg-la-Reine. While still in his teens, he was able to determine a necessary and sufficient condition for a polynomial to be solvable by radicals, thereby solving a long-standing problem. His work laid the foundations for Galois theory, a major branch of abstract algebra, and the subfield of Galois connections. He was the first to use the word "group" (French: groupe) as a technical term in mathematics to represent a group of permutations. A radical Republican during the monarchy of Louis Philippe in France, he died from wounds suffered in a duel under questionable circumstances[1] at the age of twenty.

Arminius
2011-10-20, 08:45 AM
I can't believe nobody has suggested Erdős yet.
Yeah, but then everyone will be pestering the dog to collaborate on papers with them. If the dog is really good at math it is no problem, but otherwise that might cause undue stress to the poor creature.

JoseB
2011-10-20, 10:19 AM
@ the OP: Chebyshev also has a mega-cool first name: Pafnuty!

Or, if you want it latinized, "Paphnutius". This name has an extra-cool factor because *it can be traced back to Ancient Egypt* (!!)

("Pafnuty", or "Paphnutius", comes directly from the Coptic name "Papnoute", which itself comes from Ancient Egyptian "Pa-ph-nuti", or "man of God").

shawnhcorey
2011-10-20, 10:31 AM
Or, if you want it latinized, "Paphnutius".

Unless your dog is female. Then it would be Paphnutia.

danzibr
2011-10-20, 10:51 AM
Poor Évariste Galois, always forgotten.
Yeah, Galois was totally amazing. I wonder what he'd have done had he lived longer.

Tirian
2011-10-20, 10:56 AM
Yeah, Galois was totally amazing. I wonder what he'd have done had he lived longer.

Improved his marksmanship, I suppose.

JoseB
2011-10-20, 01:50 PM
Improved his marksmanship, I suppose.

Perhaps it would have been better for him to improve his dodge... :smalltongue:

Tirian
2011-10-20, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I was kind of figuring that firing earlier is a learnable skill, but dodging a well-aimed bullet not so much, no matter how excellent you are at group theory. Then again, he might have learned the good sense to not stay up all night writing letters the night before a duel.

Sheesh. I mean, 18/00+ Intelligence is something to honor, but evidently Wisdom, Dexterity, and Constitution were all dump stats. And maybe if his Charisma were higher he wouldn't have gotten into a duel in the first place.

Castaras
2011-10-20, 03:33 PM
Noether. Apparently one of the most important female mathematicians. or something. Wasn't listening in the lecture when people were talking about her, too busy eating pizza.