PDA

View Full Version : Good android apps?

thorgrim29
2011-10-18, 11:24 PM
Hey, so following the thread last week that you may or may not have read, I decided on buying a Samsung Galaxy Ace phone that's equipped with Android 2.3. I'm stoked about this, but I'm kind of lost in the Android store, and I was wondering what apps (preferably free or inexpensive) are must-haves. I'm especially interested in voice control and better voice recognition software then the native one, and a larger keyboard.

Thanks

Icewalker
2011-10-19, 03:20 PM
I've found the starting voice recognition to be pretty fantastic. I haven't been using it until pretty recently, but I find it's perfectly accurate like 80-90% of the time.

Although, such things are also subjective to voice. Different voices may be received more or less accurately in a given voice recognition system, I believe...

thorgrim29
2011-10-19, 04:45 PM
And the program in French is probably significantly worse then the english one

Icewalker
2011-10-19, 05:22 PM
Ah! Quebec. That's a place. :smallbiggrin:

And yeah. French also is one of very few languages with I'm pretty sure even less direct spelling - pronunciation consistency than English, so I doubt that helps...

Keld Denar
2011-10-19, 07:57 PM
Look for the Amazon App Store (google search it). Its not in the Android Marketplace. You have to DL it through their website, then go into your Application Settings and click "allow 3rd party apps".

Once you do that, check the Amazon App Store EVERY DAY. They give away one paid app every day for free. I've gotten like, 3 games I like (Chesspresso is awesome!), and today's app is an interesting little widget that makes texting easier.

Other than that, the apps I used most often are:

Google Sky Map (free)
Leo German Dictionary (free)
IMDB (free)
Goby - kinda like yelp or urban spoon, but better (free)
Bank of America (free)
HeyTell - send short voice messages to your friends for free (free)
Shazam - ID music (free, with paid upgrade)
KISW Radio - radio station I like (free)
Navigation - the one that comes with the phone (free)
Advanced Task Killer (free)
Chesspresso - play chess against the world ($6.00 US)
TropicalFish - like Bejeweled with fish ($0.99 US)
EarlyBird - like AngryBirds, but different ($0.99 US)
RetroDefense - tower defense ($0.99 US)
RoboDefense - another tower defense ($1.99 full version, free available)

And then I have widget for Facebook and Youtube that constantly display top stories and stuffs.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-10-20, 09:43 AM
I like Keld's list. I have a few changes and additions, though.

Moviefone (Free) - Easier to get local showtimes with than IMDB.
Comics by Comixology (Free) - The app itself is free, as are many comics. Most of the comics you have to buy, though.
Marvel Comics (Free) - Almost the same as the previous, except it's Marvel only.
Zedge (Free) - Good app for getting wallpapers and ringtones. All of them are free.
B&N Nook (Free) - Comes with a few books, and you can download many more.
Lookout (Free) - Phone security app. Scans downloads for viruses, and can be used to locate your phone if you lose it.

Vella_Malachite
2011-10-24, 06:19 AM
I don't know what's useful for you, but I just got an Android phone, too, and I downloaded an app called Note Everything, which is free, and allows me to note down all the little things that come into my head and I might not have anything else on me to write down, and it's got a rudimentary folder system and such, which I've already found all different kinds of useful.

Castaras
2011-10-24, 08:09 AM
I like Alchemy, which is a fun little game of combining the base 4 elements to make more elements to combine to make more stuff. I'm also addicted to my Minesweeper I have on Android.

Have a look in all the free stuff. There's loads of stuff out there.