PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Paladin

Jeivar
2011-10-19, 01:35 AM
I'm currently playing Pathfinder for the first time, and I'm loving it. I'm currently playing a Barbarian with a single level of Rogue (Greatsword+Rage+Sneak Attack is awesome).
However, I really like the changes made to Paladin, and I'm going to switch to one as soon as my Barbarian gets killed. I'm trying to decide on Feats and Race.

Is it worth it to play an Aasimar rather than a Human? Does the extra +2 to attributes, Daylight spell and Darkvision make up for losing that extra Feat and Skill Points?

Oh, and I'll be starting at level 5 or 6.

Darthteej
2011-10-19, 01:52 AM
Is it worth it to play an Aasimar rather than a Human? Does the extra +2 to attributes, Daylight spell and Darkvision make up for losing that extra Feat and Skill Points?

No. But you know what? Aasimar are damned cool. Mabye talk to your DM about having some improved SLAs as you level up(so searing light at 7th level, sunburst at 13th, etc.) But human's better on a mechanical basis.

Standard Tome of Battle plug for Crusader.

Personally, I've always loved to play mounted paladins. Delaying the aquistion of your mount a bit gives you acess to some awesome stuff(hipogryiffs! dire lions!). You could also take the weapon bond and take Leadership or Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) to get a mount that scales with your level.

Take mounted combat+spirited charge, use smite evil for great justice(talk to DM about having it be per encounter), and you're on your way to damage central.

Telasi
2011-10-19, 01:58 AM
Power Attack, Intimidating Prowess, Cornugon Smash. Take ranks in Intimidate. With a high Cha and Str (added on top of Cha with Intimidating Prowess), you'll be very good at intimidating. Cornugon Smash gives you a free intimidate check against your target every time you deal damage with a power attack. No DPR drop, and you now debuff anybody you hit. Combine with other things to taste.

As for race, I don't think Aasimar is that great for a pally. I'd honestly just go human for the bonus feat and an extra skill point every level. Daylight isn't a terribly great SLA unless you fight light-sensitive stuff a lot or constantly have to deal with magical darkness. Darkvision is good, but not feat and skill good. The +2 Wis is useless since pallies are Cha casters now; the +2 Cha is less valuable than taking +2 Str from human. That, at least, is my reasoning.

Krazzman
2011-10-19, 02:31 AM
uuuuh, shiny.

There is a nice guide to Paladins in PF out there. (Probably not updated for UC)
Cryptic's Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/cryptic-s-lab) But this one is not that good in my opinion, but colorcoded.
Thallin's Guide (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/thallinsGuideToPaladinsOptimization)
While not colorcoded brings additional information + roleplay advice.

The charge variant would be better to take with playing a halfling. It might means - to strenght, but you are in fact a better archer paladin, a better caster and a more flexible charger. Since a riding dog can charge in any place a medium character can charge.

Hope this helps.

Curious
2011-10-19, 08:25 AM
Oath of Vengeance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance) could be quite nice if you feel like having lots of smites in a day and don't mind losing channel energy.

grarrrg
2011-10-19, 08:49 AM
Oath of Vengeance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance) could be quite nice if you feel like having lots of smites in a day and don't mind losing channel energy.

On a related note, Oath of Savagery lets you spend Smite Evil uses to gain minutes of +5ft. reach.
More useful then normal Smite when fighting hordes of weaklings, AND it works against non-evil as well!

navar100
2011-10-19, 09:08 AM
Is it strictly Pathfinder or is some 3E material still ok? A few 3E feats are still good such as Extra Smiting (with Pathfinder's improved Smite Evil) and Battle Blessing.

The Divine feats are trickier. It is easy to just change spend a turn undead to spend a channeling. That works well for clerics but shortchanges paladins because to channel requires spending two Lay On Hands. This is what my DM house rules. Personally, I'm barely ok with spending two Lay On Hands for one Channeling. I'd prefer Channeling be a separate ability accepted at a lower rate or effect than cleric, but two Lay On Hands is alright. However, I don't find two Lay On Hands are worth spending for a Divine feat use. Pathfinder Lay On Hands is that good. It's too much. I would prefer spend 1 Channeling or 1 Lay On Hands for a Divine feat use.

Curious
2011-10-19, 10:24 AM
Is it strictly Pathfinder or is some 3E material still ok? A few 3E feats are still good such as Extra Smiting (with Pathfinder's improved Smite Evil) and Battle Blessing.

The Divine feats are trickier. It is easy to just change spend a turn undead to spend a channeling. That works well for clerics but shortchanges paladins because to channel requires spending two Lay On Hands. This is what my DM house rules. Personally, I'm barely ok with spending two Lay On Hands for one Channeling. I'd prefer Channeling be a separate ability accepted at a lower rate or effect than cleric, but two Lay On Hands is alright. However, I don't find two Lay On Hands are worth spending for a Divine feat use. Pathfinder Lay On Hands is that good. It's too much. I would prefer spend 1 Channeling or 1 Lay On Hands for a Divine feat use.

I would definitely trade four uses of LoH for another use of travel Devotion.

Than
2011-10-19, 12:25 PM
Maybe you could convince him to let everyone suddenly change races and use the advanced race play test that is going on?

Baroncognito
2011-10-19, 05:05 PM
Or you could play a tiefling paladin, with Fiendish Heritage Demon-Spawn for +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Int.

Curious
2011-10-19, 05:08 PM
Or you could play a tiefling paladin, with Fiendish Heritage Demon-Spawn for +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Int.

And grab the one extra ability that nets you another +2 Cha.

Jeivar
2011-10-19, 05:12 PM
I appreciate the comments.

I won't be using any of the archetypes, since I like the paladin power package and I want to keep them all. Plus, I'd hate to give something up and then end up desperately needing it. . .

As for mounted combat, a horse doesn't fit easily into a dungeon or a cave, and I prefer to use precious, precious feats for something that doesn't depend on circumstance to be useful.

I'm tempted to just go with Power Attack/Cleave again, as with my Barbarian. Because being able to strike two foes per round for the price of one is just awesome.

There is a nice guide to Paladins in PF out there. (Probably not updated for UC)
Cryptic's Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/cryptic-s-lab) But this one is not that good in my opinion, but colorcoded.
Thallin's Guide (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/thallinsGuideToPaladinsOptimization)
While not colorcoded brings additional information + roleplay advice.

Interesting.

Power Attack, Intimidating Prowess, Cornugon Smash. Take ranks in Intimidate. With a high Cha and Str (added on top of Cha with Intimidating Prowess), you'll be very good at intimidating. Cornugon Smash gives you a free intimidate check against your target every time you deal damage with a power attack. No DPR drop, and you now debuff anybody you hit. Combine with other things to taste.

This might work.

I'm pretty sure it's just Pathfinder.

Curious
2011-10-19, 05:17 PM
If you can make intimidate attempts as a free action with Cornugon Smash, you might consider grabbing Antagonize (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/antagonize) so you can be an actual tank. It's a pretty powerful feat though, so ask your DM before hand. If he disallows it, ask him to let it apply only when the enemy is within 20 feet or something.