PDA

View Full Version : NeverWinter Nights

PerXX
2011-10-19, 04:35 AM
Considering the amount of D&D fans on these forums, how many are still playing this old gem?
She might be an old girl by now, but I must say, there's no game that quite does what NWN do. The amount of freedom to both players and builders are beyond what I've seen at any other game.

(and yes, I might have some ulterior motives - I do in fact have a server running I'd like to invite people to, if theres any sort of interest)

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2011-10-19, 12:35 PM
I'm always interested in a new server. Unfortunately, I lost my copy of NWN and I can't find it anywhere online. :(

Smight
2011-10-19, 12:40 PM
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-19, 01:36 PM
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

This! Just remember to send a request for a multiplayer key, then install it.

PerXX
2011-10-19, 10:25 PM
Yeah, GOG is the way to go these days.
$10 for the full game plus both expansion sets is hard to compete with! Also, no losing discs with digital download! :smallbiggrin:

The server I'm currently hosting is called Dragon Myrth.
This is going to sound a lot like an advertisement, but please bear with me!

The server first appeared almost a decade ago. I started out as a player back before the expansion-packs came out, and it was one of the more popular servers back then, to the point where you'd often wait for enough room to actually join the server. Eventually it was shut down due to lack of time from the host (Splief). I wandered the various servers available but failed to find a new place that felt like home, so I started to do my own recreation of the server, learning as I went along. About a year ago I was contacted by Splief, and given exclusive access to the original mod. The current mod is now a hybrid between the original mod and my recreation with the new additions that have been made available since then.

The server is up 24/7, with all the persistent shenanigans you'd expect. I.e, after a log-out or server reload, you'd still be in the same location, with the same amount of HP, spells, quests and so on.

If ya'll got any sort of questions, I'll be happy to answer them, either here or on the servers forum, available below.
Who knows, if there's enough interest, perhaps a local OOTS guild could be made available! :smallcool:

Dragon Myrth

Dragon Myrth is set in an alternative version of the Lord of the Ring realm.
This means that you’ll see familiar places, and might meet familiar faces, but the storyline is entirely separate from the books/movies. The server is heavily based on a Good vs Evil setup. Some certain usually neutral classes such as Bards and Druids have their own specific storyline.

Features

* Good/Evil Story-lines. As mentioned, the server revolves around the Good - Evil conflict. This means that there's long story-lines for both Good and Evil characters, that'll take you far around the world - an often cross path with people who might not see eye-to-eye with your endeavors.

* Conquerable Cities. The Good/Evil setup of the server means that many cities will be alignment-specific. Meaning, a good character would freely be able to enter Edoras, where an evil character would be attacked on sight. The opposite holds true if the same characters were to attempt to enter Dol Guldur. However, it is possible to assault an enemy settlement, and if successful in taking down all the defenders, the town will be taken for your alignment, and new guards of the proper alignment will spawn to defend the town.

* Custom XP Script. To help encourage players to group up and fight in a party, a custom XP script have been installed. This means that other than the normal Party Strength vs Enemy Strength xp gained, each enemy also gives a static XP depending on their level.

* Player Run Guild houses. Guild houses are available to the Good/Evil factions. These guilds are password protected and the only way to acquire the password is to hear it from another player. (Or overhear it when a player enters the guild). The guilds offer a place to rest freely, a guild shop, a Rivendell Fountain or Mordor Bloodbath and a Guild Storage Chest where players can share items with other members of the guild. The Storage is of course persistent and will save through a server reset.

* Rivendell Fountains and Mordor Bloodbaths. Through out your travels around the world, you'll come across Rivendell Fountain/Mordor Bloodbath Potions. These potions, if dropped in a well of the appropriate alignment, will enhance the well and all who afterwards uses the fountain will be blessed with the qualities of the potions that have been dropped in it. One can also chose to drop the potion in a well of the opposite alignment. The well will then be poisoned, and lose all of it's properties until new potions have been used to restore them.
The wells also offer bonuses/penalties based on the players age. More info here can be read in the Players Guide listed at the bottom of this post.

* Arena. In Tharbad players can find the grand Arena. Here players can test their skills against each other, and sometimes grand tournaments will be arranged here. Any death in the Arena comes with no penalty when respawning.

* Player owned houses. For the wealthy players, it's possible to buy their own house, complete with resting area and persistent storage.

* Mercenaries for hire, that will join the player as henchmen, until dismissed or dead.

* Much much more.

Rest and Death Penalties

For level 1-2 characters there are no penalties, except that they cannot rest in urban areas.
Once a character reaches level 3, the following penalties apply:
* Rest
Resting can be done anywhere outside of urban areas. Rest will require one item of food and one item of drink. These items can be bought in most inns or general stores, or they can be crafted. Resting can be done once pr 3 hours In-Game. Another option is to buy a room at an Inn. In these Inn rooms, players can rest freely without needing food/drink, or without a time restriction.
* Death
If a character us unlucky enough to get killed after having reached level 3, they have a few options available.
Players can choose to respawn, at the cost of 7% of their current XP. Players will then be returned to the nearest healing station.
Players can also opt simply to wait 48 real-time hours without respawning, after which they will be restored to life at the location of their death, without receiving any penalty.
Finally, players can hope a Cleric is nearby to raise them from death.

Spells & Feat Limitations

Resurrect / Raise dead can only be cast by clerics.
Heal/Harm work with a 10 hit-point pr caster level.
Time Stop disabled.
Devastating Critical disabled.

Server information

Server name : Dragon Myrth
Module name : Middle_Earth_v4
Server IP address : 90.184.116.70:5121
Version: NwN, SOU, HOTU 1.69 + CEP 2.3
Forum: http://forum.blue-field.dk/ (http://forum.blue-field.dk)

Make sure you also read the Player Guide! (http://90.184.116.70/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=366&sid=6a35fbacf4b639878429350a7bc4305c)

nhbdy
2011-10-20, 01:45 PM
This looks fun, I used to dabble with nwn a long while ago, but never did any multiplayer, I tried to install the CEP but it seems I failed as I couldn't connect due to missing one of the files needed, I am also not 100% confident that I even have the right version, as there were several listed on the linked page that said 2.3 does anyone know where I may find a good tutorial for how to install it? (for reference I have nwn diamond edition, and downloaded the file called CEP_23_Full.7z I extracted the files to my NWN folder and merged any folders it asked me to, if this is not the proper way to install I need to know as my searches suggested it was, I do have a backup copy made)

PerXX
2011-10-20, 02:05 PM
The latest version of the CEP is 2.4. You can get it HERE (http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Download.php?id=159229)
Even though the server still uses 2.3, there's no reason not to get the latest one, as it'll be backwards compatible. As long as you have at least the same version as the server, you'll be good to go.

As for installation, it should be enough to just extract it. If for some reason, that won't work, then make sure that all files ending with .hak go into the HAK folder, all tlk files go into the TLK folder and so on. If the folder doesn't exists, you may have to create them manually.

If that doesn't do the trick, then say which file it is that's missing, and we'll take it from there :smallsmile:

nhbdy
2011-10-20, 04:06 PM
getting an odd message when I try to open it with 7zip, it says:

Unexpected end of archive
[Rar] C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\CEP_24_a.rar

if I hit ok it still opens with the files I assume are correct (dmvault, erf, hak, etc...) but when I move them into my NWN folder, 7zip says:

0 CRC failed in 'hak\cep2_core0.hak'. File is broken

any solutions?

EDIT: I am opening the linked file after downloading it

EDIT EDIT:
well I went back to my 2.3 file and did a search for the missing file and found it, went to log in to your server, and in logging on to multiplayer, got a message about not being able to connect to the master server and a warning that some things may not be available, found your server, hit connect and was immediately booted. Is my problem linked to the not being able to connect to the master server? is that a problem only I have? or is there something else going on?

PerXX
2011-10-20, 09:29 PM
The Master Server is down for everyone, after some hackers hit Bioware some months back. They do claim to be working on getting it back online.

As for being booted, there's an old anti-cheat system in place that'll prevent you from quitting and re-joining with the same character within a short period of time. Obviously though that shouldn't have hit you.

Try connecting again, it should let you in just fine.

nhbdy
2011-10-20, 09:48 PM
ok, now I'm frustrated, it says I'm missing two more files, and my basic searches aren't getting downloads for them, they are cep2_custom.hak and cep_top_v23.hak

PerXX
2011-10-21, 12:37 AM
Both of those files should be in the CEP file you downloaded.
I just tried downloading the one I linked to, and it has the files.

Otherwise, since I can't make attachments to this forum, I've made at post at the Dragon Myrth forum HERE (http://90.184.116.70/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=530&sid=915ea24c7d016c6c5fd99c2f9f3f2ba5) with the files in question, so you can get them there. You may have to sign up first though.

Spartacus
2011-10-21, 04:24 AM
Just for future reference, Mediafire is a good way to share files.

PerXX
2011-10-24, 12:57 AM
Just for future reference, Mediafire is a good way to share files.

Ah, of course.. that might have been a plan too.. :smallbiggrin:

Balain
2011-10-30, 04:26 AM
Sadly I couldn't get NWN to run on my new computer. I did love NWN though. I currently tried re-installing NWN 2. It works on new system but has a few buggy spots. It was good but not quite the same as NWN 1

Trazoi
2011-10-30, 05:35 AM
I'm overdue playing NWN again. I've played the official campaign and the add-ons a couple of times but I didn't fully explore all the custom stuff people have made, which I've heard is amazing. Are there any truly excellent single player modules that people recommend?

Runestar
2011-10-30, 07:00 AM
Sadly, I haven't been able to run all my old games ever since I upgraded to my new Imac, and don't have a copy of windows to install. Nor do I feel like splashing money for parallels+windows. :smallmad:

But now that you mention it, sure brings back old memories...:smallcool: