IMO:

- Rust monster
- Adamantine horror

GodGoblin
2011-10-19, 06:33 AM
Tuckers Kobolds?

Eldan
2011-10-19, 06:34 AM
Rhinos were a bit of a running gag in our party, after we met one in an arena and were promptly all slaughtered when it successfully charged and pureed the group meatshield in the first round.

Yora
2011-10-19, 06:38 AM
I am really scared of Rakshasas. Hacking through that DR 15 takes forever and SR 27 on a CR 10 monster? How do you kill these things?
That they are also 7th level sorcerers does not make things any easier.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-19, 06:41 AM
Tuckers Kobolds?

Seconded. All in favor?

Yora
2011-10-19, 06:46 AM
What about Tuckers Rakshasa? That would be worse!

Seharvepernfan
2011-10-19, 06:59 AM
I have to say, my players are probably more afraid of kobolds than anything they've seen so far.

They werent even tuckering...

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 07:07 AM
Maybe only for my party:
Gelatinous cubes.
For some reason, Hellhounds. (The warlock's especially terrified of them for some reason).

GodGoblin
Oh my players in one game were terrified of Elks, it was a Frostburn-esque setting and I thought 'its just an animal would be easy enough!' Nope...

NOhara24
Tarrasque.
Beholder/Mage.
Anything with a death effect.

The unassuming NPC shopkeeper who turns out to be a masochist, with levels in Wizard...what?

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-19, 07:11 AM
The scariest thing my players have ever encountered (not a monster) are Will saves. It doesn't matter what's going on, where they are, or who's around. If I ask someone to roll a will save, that person will freak out.

My PCs have actually disolved into intra-party warfare from will saves that they believed may have possibly infected one of them with a mind disease. The "infected" person wanted to infect everyone else so he wasn't the only one to go insane.

candycorn
2011-10-19, 07:15 AM
That. Damn. Crab.

Nuff said. Destroyer of parties.

GodGoblin
2011-10-19, 07:44 AM
Can you put up the stats or templates on That Damn Crab? Cant remember it now..

Eldan
2011-10-19, 07:45 AM
I think it was somewhere on the web, actually. The Wizards page.

Telonius
2011-10-19, 07:46 AM
Statues. Every party I've ever gamed with will destroy any statue on principle, before it has a chance to turn into a monster and attack them.

Here's the link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) for That Damn Crab. Second one down, "Monstrous Crab." Improved Grab plus auto-constrict on successful grapple (and it gets +19 to grapple), means 2d8+18 damage. And it can do that with each claw. On a supposedly CR-3 monster. (And did I mention the 66hp and 40ft movement?)

Amphetryon
2011-10-19, 07:48 AM
Can you put up the stats or templates on That Damn Crab? Cant remember it now..

Linky. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) Alhoons, for me.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-19, 08:02 AM
Dire Rats in one campaign I'm in. The DM put in a puzzle where every time you entered the wrong answer, more and more Dire Rats would spawn. Only two members of the party survived, and they only managed that by dropping an Entangle and dooming the others.

My players tend to swear vendettas against enemies instead of being scared.

Bard for Kicks
2011-10-19, 08:12 AM
Hm...my group seems to be terrified of
1. gelatinous cube
2. rust monster
3. lions (err...granted....I threw 4 of them while my 5 players were lvl 4....hehe.)
4. generally creatures with poison (vipers....1d6/1d6 con damage? ouch)

I haven't actually thrown gelatinous cubes or rust monsters at them yet..they are waaaay too scared of those two. i bring it up in conversation and then they freak out. :smallbiggrin:

GodGoblin
2011-10-19, 08:13 AM
Statues. Every party I've ever gamed with will destroy any statue on principle, before it has a chance to turn into a monster and attack them.

Here's the link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) for That Damn Crab. Second one down, "Monstrous Crab." Improved Grab plus auto-constrict on successful grapple (and it gets +19 to grapple), means 2d8+18 damage. And it can do that with each claw. On a supposedly CR-3 monster. (And did I mention the 66hp and 40ft movement?)

Ah thats it, I was getting it confuesed with a templated monstrosity but this way its even more hilarious! Possibly the best thing to throw at annoying rules laywers, "Its CR3, perfectly acceptable against your party according to the book" :smallwink:

Basket Burner
2011-10-19, 08:15 AM
If what I am seeing is any indication, Bards.

lorddrake
2011-10-19, 08:17 AM
My group, when I'm DMing are really paranoid when they see any chests (mimics) and statues (animated stuff or gargoyles)

They are pretty paranoid, actually...

GodGoblin
2011-10-19, 08:22 AM
My group, when I'm DMing are really paranoid when they see any chests (mimics) and statues (animated stuff or gargoyles)

They are pretty paranoid, actually...

I used to be to but then we realised Mimics were smart enough to talk and get bribed! :smallsmile:

Yora
2011-10-19, 08:24 AM
Ah thats it, I was getting it confuesed with a templated monstrosity but this way its even more hilarious! Possibly the best thing to throw at annoying rules laywers, "Its CR3, perfectly acceptable against your party according to the book" :smallwink:

People have turned it into an advanced massively templated monstrosity. But it's full awfulness only really comes to shine when it's in its pure plain form. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-10-19, 08:33 AM
There were things like god crabs and so on, by stacking templates on it. And using HD advances, which made it just as hilarious. I've seen Pseudonatural That Damn Crab of Legend, at least.

Chilingsworth
2011-10-19, 08:56 AM
Grells, especially advanced grells.

Also, rust monsters.

Feytalist
2011-10-19, 09:14 AM
For a moment there I thought you said grues.

'Cause they're damn scary, too.

For the games I'm in, the most feared monsters are usually anything with class levels. Although I have to say I have a special resentment towards oozes and jellies. And puddings.

Oh, and trippy wolves at low levels. Those are always fun.

candycorn
2011-10-19, 09:59 AM

Enlarging the fighter is usually the best bet, since it can't improved grab large creatures.

Failing that, Grease.

Basically, you don't want it to be able to effectively grab small people.
In fairness, a level 4 party could probably take it without difficulty, and a level 5 would annihilate it.

Amphetryon
2011-10-19, 10:07 AM
Enlarging the fighter is usually the best bet, since it can't improved grab large creatures.

Failing that, Grease.

Basically, you don't want it to be able to effectively grab small people.
In fairness, a level 4 party could probably take it without difficulty, and a level 5 would annihilate it.
Grease gets all kinds of wonky when you take the crab's swim speed into account. Encountering it while you're in the water is especially troublesome for a group in its theoretical appropriate encounter range.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 10:11 AM
Mindflayers. They're just straight up creepy.

thompur
2011-10-19, 10:17 AM
Mindflayers. They're just straight up creepy.

I'm with you, Doc. Mind Flayers give me the wiggins!:smalleek:

Zaq
2011-10-19, 10:21 AM
I'm still kind of resentful of the time we were thrown against a teratomorph. (What kind of creature has a goddamn aura of Plane Shift?! How does that even work?! We were derailed for MONTHS!)

Anyway, other than that, mind flayers are terrifying if you play 'em right, as are aboleths.

arguskos
2011-10-19, 10:31 AM
VOOOOOORS :smallfurious:

They have gigantic reach, stupid immunities/resistances, good life, difficult sensory methods to defeat, and deal insanely high damage.

Seriously, multiple 15-ft reach tentacles that deal like 2d6+14 EACH along with two claws for 1d6+10 or something and rend... all at CR FOUR... it's just wrong, man.

Yora
2011-10-19, 10:35 AM
What's a Vor? Doesn't ring a bell.

Qwertystop
2011-10-19, 10:38 AM
I'm still kind of resentful of the time we were thrown against a teratomorph. (What kind of creature has a goddamn aura of Plane Shift?! How does that even work?! We were derailed for MONTHS!)

Anyway, other than that, mind flayers are terrifying if you play 'em right, as are aboleths.

Yeah, those things are like Rod of Wonder Oozes. I thought of giving one levels in Wild Mage once.

"Everyone make a REF save vs. butterflies"

vanyell
2011-10-19, 11:07 AM
My players are terrified of hydras.
they can take out a small army on their own, but a single hydra? holy crap.

it does not help that they always seem to provoke surprise rounds (such as throwing a sun rod at it in the dark and failing initiative)

arguskos
2011-10-19, 11:10 AM
What's a Vor? Doesn't ring a bell.
Voor. They're yugoloths from MMIV, and they are nightmarish hellbeasts that reap dreams and sow only hate and fear. They are the scourges of sanctity, the destroyers of dreams, and the kings of carnage. Gods above, there is no survival against them.

Seriously, they're my perennial entry into these threads, and so far, I've never seen them defeated by a level appropriate party. Technically, one is a "tough challenge" for a group of level 3 characters. In reality, a group of level 3's has no chance in hell.

Krazzman
2011-10-19, 11:16 AM
We had a running gag and a one-shot based on a descent game where one player stated about the only two left skeletons: "Sind doch nur Skelette." (Paraphrased: "There are just some skeletons") And 2 Turns later there were only skeletons gangraping everyone. Since that time we had a bit of a...yeah freak out when somebody mentioned that phrase.

The thing I feared most (IC) was that Talos himself tricked me and my character didn't knew how to handle it except Destroying 1 Forest because the other wizard stated that in this forest is a Squirrel with BIG nuts.....(a not that good interpreted vision).

Good times...

Tar Palantir
2011-10-19, 11:23 AM
One of my players was especially terrified of wolves and worgs. His level 8 rogue was nearly killed by a pair of worgs while the party was fighting the rest of the pack. He just couldn't stay on his feet.

ALL of my players, however, have a terrible fear of drowned. I've had a near-wipe every time I've thrown them, usually saved by one player being a warforged or something. Seriously, the party had a beguiler with mindsight, a melee rogue, a war weaver, and a warforged swiftblade, all around level 10, and the only reason the pair of drowned didn't kill them all is that the warforged killed his before the others ran out of the transpositions and anklet uses they were using to stall the other. Friggin' drowned, man....

arguskos
2011-10-19, 11:38 AM
ALL of my players, however, have a terrible fear of drowned. I've had a near-wipe every time I've thrown them, usually saved by one player being a warforged or something. Seriously, the party had a beguiler with mindsight, a melee rogue, a war weaver, and a warforged swiftblade, all around level 10, and the only reason the pair of drowned didn't kill them all is that the warforged killed his before the others ran out of the transpositions and anklet uses they were using to stall the other. Friggin' drowned, man....
Drowned are friggin' terrifying. I've seen similar absurd situations involving drowned before (like the one time a baddie hid a drowned behind a trap door in the ceiling and dropped it on us for giggles; it did enough falling damage to kill the poor bastard it landed on, then held us all off while baddie escaped).

Another aggravating beast is the dust wight. Its slams destroy armor. It can petrify you with an aura. Devs, how'd that seem fair or fun to play against? :smallconfused:

Yora
2011-10-19, 12:14 PM
On of the DMs on our Neverwinter Nights server once introduced Drowned. They reliably put panic in groups of 12 to 18 experienced warriors. Basically everyone ran screaming for the arcane casters to kill it. :smallamused:

Zaq
2011-10-19, 12:24 PM
Voor. They're yugoloths from MMIV, and they are nightmarish hellbeasts that reap dreams and sow only hate and fear. They are the scourges of sanctity, the destroyers of dreams, and the kings of carnage. Gods above, there is no survival against them.

Seriously, they're my perennial entry into these threads, and so far, I've never seen them defeated by a level appropriate party. Technically, one is a "tough challenge" for a group of level 3 characters. In reality, a group of level 3's has no chance in hell.

Wow. I just looked at that statblock. Nasty! The only part that makes it even remotely tolerable is that it only has blindsense instead of blindsight . . . and since it's blind, while it can pinpoint you trivially, it'll still be eating a 50% miss chance from concealment. Only helps so much against a full attack that nasty (and that hard to get away from), but it DOES reduce the damage somewhat. Of course, with DR 5/good at CR 4, they're gonna have a hell of a time killing it even before it blindly flails them to death . . . nasty buggers.