PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, any ideas?

Linkavitch
2011-10-19, 08:37 AM
So, I'm supposed to write a research paper on some area of mathematics for my College Algebra course this semester. It can be about anything to do with mathematics, as broad or focused as I want it. Trouble is, I have NO FREAKING IDEA what to write about.

Any ideas?

Keld Denar
2011-10-19, 11:22 AM
Mr Descartes (sp?) and the invention of the Cartesian Coodinate System?

Honorable mention to 3d grid systems (Cartesian + Z).

After all, 90% of alegbra is numerical/formula representation of graphical data. (the other 10% is numerical representation of PURE EVIL!)

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 11:25 AM
Adventure Time!:smallbiggrin: What, they use the word mathematical all the time.:smallwink:

That, or something Greek. The created a good deal of mathematic forumlas.

RS14
2011-10-19, 11:32 AM
So, I'm supposed to write a research paper on some area of mathematics for my College Algebra course this semester. It can be about anything to do with mathematics, as broad or focused as I want it. Trouble is, I have NO FREAKING IDEA what to write about.

Any ideas?

Stuff relevant to Abstract Algebra:
* Coding Theory (useful for data compression and error correction)
* Algebraic Topology and Homotopy Theory
* Encryption (some methods such as ElGamal make use of discrete log problems)

Arminius
2011-10-20, 09:32 PM
If you know(or want to know) a bit about programming, recursion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion) and mathematical induction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction) are fun.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-20, 09:59 PM
Fractals are both beautiful and mathematical and occur in many places in nature. Could be an interesting topic.

thubby
2011-10-21, 01:13 AM
newton's work on calculus is both well documented and well understood

Nargan
2011-10-21, 02:44 AM
Algebraic functions, be they polynomial, composite, inverse, or modulus? I only say that because I'm looking at them RIGHT NOW :smalltongue:

Manga Shoggoth
2011-10-21, 04:25 AM
newton's work on calculus is both well documented and well understood

This would be good. The interesting thing to add to the essay is the parallel work done by Leibniz.

Asta Kask
2011-10-21, 04:53 AM
Fermat's Last Theorem. Bonus points for understanding the proof. Many, many bonus points.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-21, 05:10 PM
Golden Mean/Golden Ratio

(I'm crap at maths, but I'm interested in art.)