PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 The little petshop of NPC adventurers

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 09:56 AM
Playgrounders!

I'm currently looking up all I can for an amusing scene for my group: there's no real plot significance, though they may have the opportunity to earn themselves some nice XP or loot somehow.

I want to design the realm's "cutest" small-scale NPC adventuring group.
As such, I'm looking for all races that aren't just small, their Tiny or smaller!
Small may be okay in some circumstances, as long as they fit the micro-party idea. some things I've heard about / already seen but either I'm not sure on size or I want other options:

Race and possible role, this is meant to be deliberately cliche.
Petal (currently thinking cleric or druid, what would be her AC?)
Kenku (Rogue or 'the little Factotum that could')
Musteval (...I admit it, I'm thinking a Ferret-Paladin, here. special mount options?)

If it's possible to find tiny-sized plant creatures (Bonsai?) or a Tiny warforged, these would be amazing additions.
Currently also looking for an arcane caster race... a tiny, Awakened Raven is a possibility but I'd rather scope out the options.
Any other races that are naturally Tiny and liable to give my party diabetes, even if I have to stuff a "Reduce Person" on a small race?

The general idea is for them to encounter this party sometime within the next 3 sessions in one of the following ways:
1 - rescuing the npc party from a 'terrifying' Worg or similar.
2 - if the situation calls it, BEING rescued by them... I have no clue how the paladin would function in this instance, as everything else is not subject to size for at least one method of attack. (enlarge person him to small could work.)
3 - meeting them in town, on a non-combat situation, perhaps even trading a few things between the two groups, as magic items auto-size to suit.

It shouldn't matter, but if you want to take a crack at building one, ECL should be 4, I will most likely waive all racial LA (like the petal's) simply because they aren't going to matter unless they need to be useful - this isn't a request for build advice, but if anybody has anything to share, I'd appreciate the wisdom of the community.

TL;DR: Planning on a cute little Tiny-sized adventuring party, after input and offering a decent thought exercise on how they could at least provide assistance in "the big world".

I really don't know where this idea's appeal came from, I just keep remembering these races and thinking (as long as my memory is right and they -are- tiny... but I'd just make them that way, if they are not already) I want to make them and run them through an RNG-ran dungeon encounter, see how they do, and say "Yes, I made an npc group that took on a vicious Dire winged housecat and lived."

The story alone would be worth the time it would take to come up with it and RNG it all, I feel.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-19, 10:06 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138353) might help a little :D

I feel like there was a Small/Tiny construct race with a bonus to intelligence...looked a bit like an eyeball with legs? I had someone play one in a one-shot I DMed once.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 10:16 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138353) might help a little :D

I feel like there was a Small/Tiny construct race with a bonus to intelligence...looked a bit like an eyeball with legs? I had someone play one in a one-shot I DMed once.

Ah! thank you! I -did- do a quick search or two of different places but somehow missed that one.

the eyeball construct... if I can find that, I'll keep that in reserve as a wizard's creation of a construct gone wrong... yet so right for this.

EDIT:
Seems like the Kenku isn't a tiny race :( need a new skillmonkey or use a method of decreasing size on it.
Coure as a Cleric may be a good option, the petal is far to fey to be anything but a druid to me.

What would be the requirements for ensuring the Musteval had Mighty Wallop / Greater Mighty Wallop or some other method available for dealing non-trivial damage?

Qwertystop
2011-10-19, 10:51 AM
Have the PC party see the Tiny ones looking like they're about to be killed horribly by a dog or something.

Have the Tiny ones kill it awesomely.

After all, Attack Damage is the only thing that decreases with size. If one of them had a Greatsword or something, the to-hit bonus would make it like a really high AC Medium creature with a dagger. Also, magic would be really good, as it wouldn't scale down. Call Lightning would be crazy.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-19, 10:53 AM
Oooh! Ooh! There has to be a homunculus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/homunculus) who has lost his master! Crank his INT a bit and he could be a good arcane caster.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 12:23 PM
Oooh! Ooh! There has to be a homunculus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/homunculus) who has lost his master! Crank his INT a bit and he could be a good arcane caster.

I love the idea, though I can't use that direct monster without some alterations:
Homunculi can't speak :( maybe allow practical metamagic // easy metamagic to reduce silent spell to 0 level....

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-19, 12:31 PM
I love the idea, though I can't use that direct monster without some alterations:
Homunculi can't speak :( maybe allow practical metamagic // easy metamagic to reduce silent spell to 0 level....

/gape

Um...make him a Psion :D

suhkkaet
2011-10-19, 01:33 PM
Pseudodragon is a good choice for a mage.
Also, a reduced-size (they're small) Memphit could be a good fighter/rogue-ish type (depending on their plane)
Or a shocker lizard (need to reduce it to tiny, though - but in the MM picture, they look tiny! - and it IS only about 1 foot tall).
Grig could also be a fun thing for a mage-ish sort.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 01:39 PM
I don't mind Psionics, but sadly I'm more interested in doing the traditional four + maybe a 5th (bard or druid, depending).
Easy Metamagic should be enough to turn it into a wizard as Silent Spell is only +1 unless I find something that suits it better.

Mustevals are -usually- spies, but I think the paladin suits it better, especially since I do need at least one melee build.

The Coure will be a cloistered cleric, focusing on buffs and debuffs, stacking the odds in their favor.

The petal will either be a bard (they love to sing, apparently) or a druid... if it's a druid, I'd be tempted to ACF / variant away the wildshaping, as it breaks the theme for a Tiny being to morph into a freakin' fleshraker, after all.

Another option: Tiny-sized warforged for victory.. but I've no idea what class he would end up. maybe the rogue.
The Grig might be an idea for a mage, certainly, will have to check its monster entry.

Pseudodragon... I could work with that, though I'm actually more tempted to make it the Musteval's special mount. (Celestial Pseudodragon maybe? yeek!)

Liking the input so far, Just hard to decide when I need at least four definite races to match class archetypes to.

Telonius
2011-10-19, 01:43 PM
Awakened Tressym
Beguiler (monster, not class)
Pseudodragon
Grig

DeAnno
2011-10-19, 01:46 PM
Tibbit stuck in cat form

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 02:00 PM
Awakened Tressym
Beguiler (monster, not class)
Pseudodragon
Grig

Not sure where the Treesym is from, MM or splatbook?
Beguiler... need to find that again but I'm aware of it.

Tibbit stuck in cat form

I love Tibbits, but I'm not sure how appropriate it is when everything else is vaguely humanoid.... though if I go for it, what class suits a tiny were-cat... OTHER than Dragonfire adept? :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-10-19, 02:09 PM
Muckdwellers can get refluffed as adorable salamander (http://www.google.com/search?q=axolotl&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MBx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsr&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KyCfTvPoK6Ha0QHR7JjsBg&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=720) people.

They're a Tiny Sized, LA 0 race. They're even obtainable as improved familiars. Serpent Kingdoms, IIRC.

ThatLovin'Elan
2011-10-19, 02:10 PM
I love Tibbits, but I'm not sure how appropriate it is when everything else is vaguely humanoid.... though if I go for it, what class suits a tiny were-cat... OTHER than Dragonfire adept? :smallbiggrin:

Rogue. Three natural attacks, all of which will apply sneak attack if target is flat-footed.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 02:28 PM
Muckdwellers can get refluffed as adorable salamander (http://www.google.com/search?q=axolotl&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MBx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsr&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KyCfTvPoK6Ha0QHR7JjsBg&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=720) people.

They're a Tiny Sized, LA 0 race. They're even obtainable as improved familiars. Serpent Kingdoms, IIRC.

Their... their so HAPPY!!! :smallbiggrin:

I'm definitely hunting these down for that. thank you!

On the Tibbit-rogue: could be very useful, but it kind of defeats their ability to act as a skillmonkey unless the cat's got the best set of tools ever devised.

Coidzor
2011-10-19, 02:38 PM
Axolotls are pretty amazingly adorable. Bro of mine once took care of them for a research lab at the local university, which is how I found out about 'em. Alternatively, you could name the Muckdweller Tiktaalik (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h1tR42QYA), make it a bard and have it sing its own theme song. :smallamused:

That reminds me, have you ever heard of Mouseguard? Might be of interest to you for such things in the future.

Ayedi_Star
2011-10-19, 03:06 PM
Axolotls are pretty amazingly adorable. Bro of mine once took care of them for a research lab at the local university, which is how I found out about 'em. Alternatively, you could name the Muckdweller Tiktaalik (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9h1tR42QYA), make it a bard and have it sing its own theme song. :smallamused:

That reminds me, have you ever heard of Mouseguard? Might be of interest to you for such things in the future.

I would do exactly this except for the fact I think it would provide a massive, massive circumstance bonus to anything the bard did while doing so and would -probably- Diplomance anything that had the ability to listen to music.

Don't think I've ever heard of Mouseguard, but I get the feeling I've seen it on a motivational poster before.....

gorfnab
2011-10-19, 06:01 PM
Not sure where the Treesym is from, MM or splatbook?
Beguiler... need to find that again but I'm aware of it.

Treesym - Lost Empires of Faerun page 191
Beguiler - Shining South page 60

I'm currently playing a Beguiler Beguiler in a campaign...lots of Pikachu jokes.

Frosty
2011-10-19, 06:07 PM
Beguiler - Shining South page 60.Peee...Pika? Pikachu!

EDIT: Damnit, Swordsage'd!