PDA

View Full Version : Warforged gear questions

crouchingmoose
2011-10-19, 10:08 AM
I'm looking at making a warforged artificer who is going to craft all of his own gear, but i had some questions about his gear.

1. Do docents take up a body slot or are they slotless?
2. Can a warforge upgrade his own plating from 1 thing to a completly different kind of enchantment?
3. Can a warforge select his armor plating as an item familiar?
4. I know i can make any magic item as a component and can supposedly use any item as a component, but can i make something like a monk's belt slotless and bond it to him?
5.If not, what can be made slotless and how does it work with bonding it?
6. What are the limits of upgrading items, can i change a +2 flaming sword into a+1 vorpal sword?

Thx for the help, and please provide the pages or atleast books where i can find this information for my own references

phlidwsn
2011-10-19, 02:36 PM
1: ECS page 269: "Its powers are only revealed when it is attached to a warforged (taking up space on the body as an amulet)."

2: You can use the Craft Magic Arms and Armor to target your composite plating like a normal MW suit, to add enhancement bonuses and such. You can not upgrade from standard composite plate to one of the feat forms after first level though (Mithril Body, etc) ECS page 23 under composite plating

3: You can enchant composite plating "like armor" but it is not an item in and of itself. I would lean to 'no'.

4: That would fall under custom magic items from the DMG. There's a cost modifier to make something slotless. And all custom items are subject to DM Fiat (DMG 285, as per chart, cost of item doubles for slotless)

5: see 4

6: You can enchant an item that has effects already on it, nothing I know of would let you delete effects off an item however.

panaikhan
2011-10-20, 07:20 AM
Point 3. You could (at the cost of the feat) have the 'no plating' option and wear/enchant a standard suit of armour
Points 2 and 6. Artificers can have an ability to 'leech' magical power to use as Craft Pool points, so you could take all of the items magic, and craft it anew. Don't know what's involved though, as I don't have my books to hand.

phlidwsn
2011-10-20, 08:47 AM
Point 3. You could (at the cost of the feat) have the 'no plating' option and wear/enchant a standard suit of armour
Points 2 and 6. Artificers can have an ability to 'leech' magical power to use as Craft Pool points, so you could take all of the items magic, and craft it anew. Don't know what's involved though, as I don't have my books to hand.

You leech the XP cost back out into your craft pool, but the GP cost is lost. Takes multiple hours (8 I think). And is all or nothing, no stripping off the flaming and leaving the +1.

crouchingmoose
2011-10-20, 02:39 PM
You leech the XP cost back out into your craft pool, but the GP cost is lost. Takes multiple hours (8 I think). And is all or nothing, no stripping off the flaming and leaving the +1.

Thanks for all the redponses. Im glad to hear this about the xp leech cause i thought that lost the basic item. We were looking at figuring the difference in gold and xp and if the difference was negative, then you would get anything...but being able to just strip all the magic off and start from scratch was what we were looking for...also comes with some nice bonus xp :)

phlidwsn
2011-10-20, 03:14 PM
Actually, checking against the book now that I'm home:

After one day, the item is destroyed and the artificer adds
the XP it took to create the item to his craft reserve. These
points are lost if the artificer does not use them before
gaining his next level.

So RAW the item is destroyed. Not sure what that would do to yourself if you targeted your own enchanted composite plating though. Seems a decent houserule though to say the mundane item remains and just the magic is destroyed.