PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XIX

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Getsugaru
2011-12-01, 07:17 PM
A378 A dancing weapon fights with the BAB of the creature that loosed it, so it would get iterative attacks.

Questions that haven't been answered yet:
Q377 If a wizard uses Share Spells to cast a spell (such as Polymorph) on himself and his familiar, and the wizard has his Polymorph effect dispelled, would that end the effect on the familiar as well?

Q381 Does polymorphing remove a Blinded condition? You arguably have new eyes... possibly some additional ones that didn't exist moments before.

Q384: Do feats and effects that boost your caster level do so in regards to your caster level for any innate racial SLAs you have?

Q385: Do feats and effects that boost your caster level for a particular spell, set of spells, or school of magic do so in regards to your caster level for any innate racial SLAs you have that meet their criteria (for example, same school as the feat/effect)?

Q393 (related to 377): If you use a targeted dispel to dispel a mass or chain spell on a single creature, does that end the spell for all creatures? Dispel magic reads "...that spell is dispelled."

There are more questions than that which still need to be answered, such as the one I asked almost 50 questions ago...:smallfrown:

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-01, 08:43 PM
Q 396
The stats for a psicrystal list Strength and Dexterity scores with the note that they only apply to a psicrystal with its self-propulsion ability activated. If self propulsion is not activated, are these scores zero or a non-ability?

Dazed&Confused
2011-12-01, 09:04 PM
Cancelled!!

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-12-01, 09:09 PM
Q 398
Do Evard's Menacing Tentacles (PHBII) benefit from the caster having the Combat Reflexes feat?

Q 399
If you wield a Thunderlance (SpC) in two hands do you add 1.5 times [int or cha] to damage?

(Also, rhetorical question, if it's a lance of thunder shouldn't be made of electricity or sonic or both, not force?)

Curmudgeon
2011-12-01, 09:14 PM
A 398 No.

The Tentacles use the caster's base attack bonus and Strength score, and nothing else.

A 397 Yes.

Soul Scour (Unapproachable East, page 52) deals ability damage. Damage stacks.
Ability Damaged

The character has temporarily lost 1 or more ability score points. Lost points return at a rate of 1 per day unless noted otherwise by the condition dealing the damage. A character with Strength 0 falls to the ground and is helpless. A character with Dexterity 0 is paralyzed. A character with Constitution 0 is dead. A character with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 0 is unconscious. Ability damage is different from penalties to ability scores, which go away when the conditions causing them go away. No further change occurs when Charisma drops below 0.

Geigan
2011-12-01, 09:16 PM
There are more questions than that which still need to be answered, such as the one I asked almost 50 questions ago...:smallfrown:

Q 346: Is there a feat that works like Versatile Spellcaster, only in reverse? I'm aware of Arcane Manipulation, but am looking for something less limited or appropriate for a spontaneous caster.
Found it. I don't know anything for spontaneous casters in this vein, so I can't really suggest anything. This question is a bit broad and is asking for suggestions rather than a concrete answer which this thread is more likely to be able to give you. You'd probably get more suggestions if you started your own thread for this.

A396

Psicrystal Granted Abilities

The psicrystal described here has the special abilities of self-propulsion, alertness, improved evasion, share powers, telepathic link, sighted, and personality (If its master chooses not to activate the self-propulsion ability, the psicrystal reverts to a speed of 0 feet and has no Strength score and no Dexterity score.)
Bolded for emphasis

A399
Thunderlance uses your casting modifier in place of your strength modifier. So yes, wielding it 2 handed means you add 1.5x your casting stat mod to damage.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-01, 09:25 PM
A 399 No.
Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed

When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1½ times your Strength bonus. However, you don’t get this higher Strength bonus when using a light weapon with two hands. The bonus for wielding a weapon in two hands is specific to a non-light melee weapon and Strength bonus. Wielding a spell effect with Intelligence or Charisma bonus offers no greater damage if you use two hands.

Getsugaru
2011-12-01, 09:31 PM
Q 400:
If a Soulknife of a race with more than two arms uses the split mind blade ability, do they only get two or one per hand (question is asking BY RAW)?

Geigan
2011-12-01, 09:31 PM
A 399 No. The bonus for wielding a weapon in two hands is specific to a non-light melee weapon and Strength bonus. Wielding a spell effect with Intelligence or Charisma bonus offers no greater damage if you use two hands.

RE: A 399 Read the spell in question in SpC pg 220. It creates a weapon that can be wielded in one or two hands and replaces strength mod to attack and damage with the casting stat mod of the caster.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-01, 10:20 PM
RE: A 399 Read the spell in question in SpC pg 220. It creates a weapon that can be wielded in one or two hands and replaces strength mod to attack and damage with the casting stat mod of the caster.
Yes, I understand that. However, it creates a "deadly lance of force", which is a spell effect that does not match any standard weapon. Weapons need to be designated as non-light in order to add 1½ x Strength modifier to damage. Thunderlance does not specify the characteristics necessary to allow other than the default behavior for weaponlike spells.

Instead of using your Strength modifier, you use the higher of your Intelligence modifier or Charisma modifier as a bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.You follow the description of the spell, rather than inferring extra capabilities not stated.

From Rules Compendium on page 136:
Strength modifiers on damage rolls and magical effects that increase weapon damage don’t increase damage from a weaponlike spell unless the spell’s description says otherwise. ...
Unless the spell description says otherwise, a weaponlike spell that can threaten a critical hit does so on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage if the critical hit is confirmed.

Geigan
2011-12-02, 01:13 AM
Yes, I understand that. However, it creates a "deadly lance of force", which is a spell effect that does not match any standard weapon. Weapons need to be designated as non-light in order to add 1½ x Strength modifier to damage. Thunderlance does not specify the characteristics necessary to allow other than the default behavior for weaponlike spells.
You follow the description of the spell, rather than inferring extra capabilities not stated.

From Rules Compendium on page 136:

Well the spell most definitely defines itself as an exception to most weapon-like spells in its description. It gives its own listed threat range, and it specifically says it uses the caster's int/cha mod instead of a strength mod for purposes of strength and damage. That would indicate that its int/cha mod applies as a strength mod would on damage normally for a weapon would it not?

Anyway the real difference in interpretation is whether it qualifies for 1½x damage for being wielded two handed. You say it has to be specifically designated as a weapon other than light to gain the extra damage. I read this bit,

Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed

When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1½ times your Strength bonus. However, you don’t get this higher Strength bonus when using a light weapon with two hands.
as meaning the weapon in question just needs to not be a light weapon. The spell specifies that the thunderlance can be wielded either one handed or two handed, but nowhere does it mention that it is light. So I suppose the disagreement comes down to whether the "weaponlike" spell can be wielded like a weapon and whether it's considered light or not. I'd say it's ambiguous enough that if we want to continue the argument, we should start another thread.

Anyways
A400
The shape mindblade ability by RAW does not account for creatures with more than 2 hands. It produces 2 at most and that's all.

Alternatively, a soulknife can split his mind blade into two identical short swords, suitable for fighting with a weapon in each hand. (The normal penalties for fighting with two weapons apply.) However, both mind blades have an enhancement bonus 1 lower than the soulknife would otherwise create with a single mind blade.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-12-02, 01:30 AM
Q401

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, the 22k version, can you still activate or more importantly, deactivate it, with a voice command. Just curious if my Char will have to take the thing off if he wants to look normal? I also like the fluff of being able to say something cheesy like, "Darken" and then have him get all fadey and such.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-02, 03:01 AM
Q 402

What book can I find Splitting Arrows in?

Geigan
2011-12-02, 03:19 AM
A401
By RAW, the only method needed for activating a continuous magic item is to put it on. Most of the time activating magic items is a standard action, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask your DM if you can turn it off and on in this case. But to be clear, you normally can't deactivate/activate a continuous magic item at will unless the item specifies. Though those type of items tend to be use activated rather than continuous.

A402
Forgotten Realms: Champions of Ruin

Curmudgeon
2011-12-02, 05:44 AM
Well the spell most definitely defines itself as an exception to most weapon-like spells in its description. It gives its own listed threat range, and it specifically says it uses the caster's int/cha mod instead of a strength mod for purposes of strength and damage. That would indicate that its int/cha mod applies as a strength mod would on damage normally for a weapon would it not?
No, it does not, unless the spell explicitly says so. Again, you follow the description of the spell, rather than inferring extra capabilities not stated.

Amphetryon
2011-12-02, 07:48 AM
Bumping these.

Q384: Do feats and effects that boost your caster level do so in regards to your caster level for any innate racial SLAs you have?

Q385: Do feats and effects that boost your caster level for a particular spell, set of spells, or school of magic do so in regards to your caster level for any innate racial SLAs you have that meet their criteria (for example, same school as the feat/effect)?

For example, if you have X, which let's just say is a conjuration spell, as a SLA...Would an orange ioun stone raise your CL for that SLA? What about a feat or effect that raised your CL only on conjuration spells? Does your SLA still count?

Runestar
2011-12-02, 09:21 AM
A384/385: As a general rule of thumb, spells are not the same as SLAs (although they share some common rules). So an effect like spell focus, practiced spellcaster or orange ioun stone (which apply only to spells) would have no benefit on SLAs.

Which means that yes, for an archmage who has converted say, cone of cold to an SLA (via the class ability), said spell may actually be weaker when used as a SLA because it would have a lower caster level, spell dc etc.

hushblade
2011-12-02, 09:35 AM
Q. 403: Is there an equivalent of Owl's Wisdom, Bear's Endurance ect.. for the Dex and Int Attributes?

Douglas
2011-12-02, 09:39 AM
A403

Yes. The full list is:
Str: Bull's Strength
Dex: Cat's Grace
Con: Bear's Endurance
Int: Fox's Cunning
Wis: Owl's Wisdom
Cha: Eagle's Splendor

Cat's Grace and Fox's Cunning are not on the Cleric spell list, which I'm guessing is what prompted your question, but they do exist. Wizards get all six.

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-02, 11:14 AM
Q404: What are the various ways you can get an animal companion at level 1? Offhand I can think of the druid, as well as the fey bard from UA, and the animal companion wizard/sorcerer (also UA). There's also the Wild Cohort feat. Anything else obvious that I'm missing?

OMG PONIES
2011-12-02, 04:11 PM
A384/385: As a general rule of thumb, spells are not the same as SLAs (although they share some common rules). So an effect like spell focus, practiced spellcaster or orange ioun stone (which apply only to spells) would have no benefit on SLAs.

Which means that yes, for an archmage who has converted say, cone of cold to an SLA (via the class ability), said spell may actually be weaker when used as a SLA because it would have a lower caster level, spell dc etc.

Thank you! Is there any RAW citation for this?

Thurbane
2011-12-02, 07:44 PM
Q 405

In non-Epic play, can a character's Caster Level go above 20? i.e. you get CL boosts from whatever source, and it nudges above 20 - is there any hard CL cap in non-Epic play?

Douglas
2011-12-02, 07:47 PM
A405

There is no cap. It is theoretically possible, with certain abuses (in particular Consumptive Field), to get arbitrarily high caster level pre-epic.

Runestar
2011-12-02, 08:59 PM
Thank you! Is there any RAW citation for this?

Add on to A384/285

Yes, it is mentioned in the 3.5 FAQ (pg 40-41, if you want to re-read it).

Does Spell Focus increase the DCs of spell-like abilities? Can I apply metamagic feats or effects to spell-like abilities? What if the feat doesn’t change the spell’s level?

No. Although spell-like abilities function mechanically like spells (a fireball spell-like ability duplicates the mechanical effect of a fireball spell), they are not spells and don’t benefit from feats or other effects that specifically affect spells. This is true even if the metamagic feat effect doesn’t change the spell’s level (such as the metamagic rods from the Dungeon Master’s Guide). Sudden metamagic feats are a specific exception to this, as detailed on page 71 in Complete Arcane.

Feats specifically designed to add metamagic effects to spell-like abilities appear in the Monster Manual (Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability) and Complete Arcane (Heighten Spell-Like Ability and Maximize Spell-Like Ability).

Do note though, that some people consider the FAQ a dubious source of rulings, though in this case, the reasoning seems fairly clear-cut and straightforward to me. :smallsmile:

dextercorvia
2011-12-02, 11:26 PM
A 385, clarification

Orange Ioun stones don't say that they only affect spells. They should increase any CL of the character.

Jon_Dahl
2011-12-03, 07:39 AM
Q 406

Does sleep-spell work on swarms?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-03, 07:56 AM
A 406

Yes, if it's within the capabilities of the spell (4 HD or less, within a 10' radius, and not a swarm of constructs, undead, or mindless/unconscious creatures).

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-03, 07:38 PM
Q407

If an air elemental has the requisite strength and is willing, can it carry a player? Like if a druid summons one to carry him/her across a river, could it?

Siosilvar
2011-12-03, 07:54 PM
A407 I don't see why not; it has a physical form and a Strength score, and the summon spells allow a caster that can communicate with the summoned creature to direct it to "perform other actions".

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-03, 08:16 PM
Q408 Can druids wear studded leather?

Runestar
2011-12-03, 08:31 PM

but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor.

So no studded leather, this isn't BG2. :smalltongue:

Siosilvar
2011-12-03, 09:23 PM

A408
Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description)

They may also wear dragonhide armor (which comes in hide, breastplate, and full plate form) and any other armors that specifically state they may be worm by druids.

EDIT: Ninja'd by almost a full hour. I should keep fewer tabs open while I'm doing my homework...

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-03, 11:45 PM
Q409 Do magic armors with special abilities still get the basic bonuses for being magical? Say if I bought wild leather armor. Wild leather armor has a price modifier equal to a +3 bonus, does it have a +3 bonus as well as the ability to change with me when I wild shape?

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-03, 11:50 PM
A 409 No.

A price modifier only modifies the price of the item, not it's actual bonuses.

Do note that in order to have any special abilities added, you must first put an actual enhancement bonus onto the item. This means that you can't just get a wild leather armor, it has to at least be a +1 wild leather armor. It will cost the same amount as a +4 armor would (+1 from the enhancement bonus and +3 from the wild's price modifier), but it will grant the same bonus to AC as normal +1 leather.

You can have a maximum of +10 in total effective bonuses, although the actual enhancement bonus is capped at +5. To go beyond either of those limits would make it an epic item.

Geigan
2011-12-04, 01:42 AM
Q410

How would divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) work if the character level was beyond level 20? Would the bab be +21 and above or do the epic rules for bab cut it off at +20? I hear that the special edition of the PHB printed in 2004 had a different version of divine power that was capped at +20, can anyone confirm this?

missmvicious
2011-12-04, 03:02 AM
Q411
Which class has the most skill points? Not counting prestige classes

Runestar
2011-12-04, 06:19 AM
Q410

How would divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm) work if the character level was beyond level 20? Would the bab be +21 and above or do the epic rules for bab cut it off at +20? I hear that the special edition of the PHB printed in 2004 had a different version of divine power that was capped at +20, can anyone confirm this?

There are 3 possible interpretations.

1) Bab = character level. So a cleric30 has bab+30.

2) bab = character level + ebab. So a cleric30 has bab+35. Arguably the most RAW, but also the most broken interpretation.

3) bab = character level, max20 + bab (not canon, but recommended here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030105a)

No idea about that special ruling.

ShadowAegis
2011-12-04, 07:26 AM
Q412

Let's say I have an 8 in intelligence, so -1 modifier. When I calculate my skill points do I apply the negative modifier? For example, playing as a Cleric with said intelligence score: 2 - 1 skill points?

(Thanks for the heads-up Zherog!)

Curmudgeon
2011-12-04, 07:30 AM
A 410

According to the Epic rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm#epicAttackBonus), "... the character’s base attack bonus does not increase after character level reaches 20th. However, the character does receive a cumulative +1 epic bonus on all attacks at every odd-numbered level beyond 20th".
Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level Combining those two rules, the AB for Divine Power above 20th level would be 20 (the limit of increase allowed) + EAB, or 20 + (character level - 20)/2 (rounded up).

I don't have the Special Edition Player's Handbook 3.5, so I can't comment on that.

A 412 Yes.

Barring special options, you will always get a minimum of 1 skill point per level.

Jon_Dahl
2011-12-04, 07:47 AM
Q413

Nonmagical spiked amor is used against babau (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#babau) and it receives 1d8 acid damage.
How many hit points does it have?
(I would say 10 but I got no clue).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-04, 08:55 AM
A 413

Armor spikes, added onto armor, are a set of steel spikes on a harness. Steel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#tableSubstanceHardnessAndHitPoints ) has 30 hit points per inch of thickness, so the thickness of the spikes will determine the armor spikes' HP. Absent any specific figure in the RAW, your DM will need to set the figure.

killem2
2011-12-04, 11:19 AM
Q411

A 411

According to The Players Handbook and The Players Handbook II, a human rogue would be the most. Give them a super high INT score and that would sky rocket in points.

Zherog
2011-12-04, 12:15 PM
A 412 additional

Note that a cleric only has 2 + Int mod (not 4, like you used in your example).

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-04, 01:20 PM
Q411

A 411
Unadjusted base class, the rogue has the most skill points with 8/level. Including substitution levels on base classes, the rogue STILL wins, with the changeling rogue sub levels in Races of Eberron (10/level).

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-04, 01:24 PM
A 411 additional

The Scout (CAdv) also gets 8 + Int mod skill points per level.

Randomguy
2011-12-04, 06:43 PM
Q114 Can a rogue using dragonfire strike (Dragon magic page 18) apply the extra damage against constructs, undead and other creatures immune to sneak attack, or does the extra damage still count as precision damage?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-04, 06:54 PM
A 114
Benefit: When you gain extra damage from a sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish, you can choose for the extra damage to be fire damage. If you gain no extra damage from a sneak attack (because the target is immune), there is nothing to convert and thus no benefit from Dragonfire Strike.

killem2
2011-12-04, 07:33 PM
Q 414: Am I understanding these rules as written?

I have decided to become an Illusionist. Not just an Illusionist, but a Focused Illusionist. (written as specialist in the Complete Mage book.)

So for level 1 spells, when a normal wizard would be able to cast 1 spell per day that is level one, I choose to give up that 1 spell per day in exchange for 3 Illusion spells per day. (1 from being a specialist and 2 for being focused)

So in other words, at level 1, of my learned level 1 spells, I can only cast Illusion based spells until I turn level 2?

Not sure if it matters, my Int is 16.

Kurald Galain
2011-12-04, 08:21 PM
Q 415: By RAW, is it permissible for a character to have detailed and uncommon knowledge of e.g. religion because it says so in the character's backstory, even if this character does not have the Knowledge: Religion skill?

dextercorvia
2011-12-04, 10:36 PM
A 414

You will be able to cast 3 Illusion spells and 1 spell of your choice due to having a bonus spell for your intelligence.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-04, 11:57 PM
A 415 No.

While a DM is permitted to grant a circumstance bonus on a skill check, the game does not allow any skill check result higher than 10 (only common knowledge) with no training in a trained-only skill. Knowledge (religion) is such a trained-only skill.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-12-05, 12:43 AM
Q 416

Here's a two parter: Do targeted spells with no attack roll (such as Charm Person) have a chance of targeting the images in Mirror Image? If the caster ends up targeting one of the mirror images, what happens to the image?

Extra credit: I would love very clear-cut textual evidence on the first part.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-05, 08:48 AM
A 416

A spellcaster is certainly capable of attempting Charm Person against what they think is a suitable target (one Humanoid creature). However, the spell always fails if the target is invalid, regardless of whether that chosen target is a figment, an actual creature who isn't a Humanoid (such as an Aasimar or Tiefling, human-looking Outsiders), or anything else. From page 171 of Player's Handbook:
SPELL FAILURE
If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell (range, area, or the like) cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted. For example, if you cast charm person on a dog, the spell fails because a dog is the wrong sort of target for the spell. Since the spell fails, nothing happens to the targeted Mirror Image figment.

Jacque
2011-12-05, 10:52 AM
Q 417

If a rogue (or anyone else) tumbles to avoid attack of opportunity, and he does it in rough terrain, does it then take 15ft of his movement or 20ft of his movement to tumble one square? (Basicly, how does it multiply when its doubled?)

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-05, 10:57 AM
Q 418

I remember reading that Wizards can choose to leave some of their spell slots empty, and then use a 15 minute period (instead of 8 hours) to fill an unused slot. Is this true? And where exactly is this written?

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-05, 11:25 AM
Q418 What classes focus on unarmed strike?

Qwertystop
2011-12-05, 11:41 AM
Q 420 (2 people both posted a 418):
What are the rules for making charge-pool magic items (like the Bag of Flames or the Thorn Pouch from MIC)?

killem2
2011-12-05, 12:30 PM
Q 421: When I can cast (level 1 wizard) enlarge person someone, and it says duration is 1 min a level, and in the combat section of the PHB it says 6 seconds = 1 round, does that mean the effect lasts for 10 rounds, and if so is that 10 rounds of the person I cast it, or just 10 rounds that go by?

Zherog
2011-12-05, 12:40 PM
A 421

Q 421: When I can cast (level 1 wizard) enlarge person someone, and it says duration is 1 min a level, and in the combat section of the PHB it says 6 seconds = 1 round, does that mean the effect lasts for 10 rounds,

Yes, it lasts for one minute -- which is 10 rounds -- per caster level.

and if so is that 10 rounds of the person I cast it, or just 10 rounds that go by?

Not sure what you mean here. The duration has nothing to do with who you cast it on; it lasts for one minute per caster level every time you cast it.

dextercorvia
2011-12-05, 12:58 PM
A 421, Followup

I think he is confusing rounds and turns.

The duration of a spell is measure from your turn in the round. A spell with a duration of 1 round will last until the beginning of your next turn. The aforementioned Enlarge person cast by a 1st level Wizard, will last until the beginning of your 10th turn from now.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-05, 01:13 PM
A 417
When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice). If you're halving your speed to Tumble, and halving it again for difficult terrain, each square counts as 4 squares. This would cost either 20' for non-diagonal movement or 30' for diagonal movement.

A 418 (the first) Yes.

From page 178 of Player's Handbook:
Spell Preparation Time

After resting, a wizard must study her spellbook to prepare any spells that day. If she wants to prepare all her spells, the process takes 1 hour. Preparing some smaller portion of her daily capacity takes a proportionally smaller amount of time, but always at least 15 minutes, the minimum time required to achieve the proper mental state.

OMG PONIES
2011-12-05, 01:26 PM
Q422: Is there a list available online of fast progression arcane casting PrCs from official WotC sources?

killem2
2011-12-05, 01:28 PM
A 421, Followup

I think he is confusing rounds and turns.

The duration of a spell is measure from your turn in the round. A spell with a duration of 1 round will last until the beginning of your next turn. The aforementioned Enlarge person cast by a 1st level Wizard, will last until the beginning of your 10th turn from now.

I was, a little. I was thinking that every time a person took their round, I might have to deduct from the time, but now it makes sense, everyone takes THIER 6 second round, in one TURN. Where that turn ends and begins is different of course for each player due to initiatives.

Enlarge Person is quite potent it seems for first level, on a decent fighter.

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-05, 01:52 PM
Q422: Is there a list available online of fast progression arcane casting PrCs from official WotC sources?

A 422:

I haven't been able to find a decent list online, but off the top of my head, there's Beholder Mage, Sublime Chord and Nar Demonbinder on the arcane end, and Ur-Priest, Divine Crusader, Blighter and Apostle of Peace on the divine end. I'm not including things like Suel Arcanamach that get a faster progression, but don't go above 5th or 6th level spells.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-05, 02:25 PM
Q 423

I'm a bit confused by the Craft skills and Craft feats.

Does the feat Craft Wonderous Item allow me to put skill ranks into Craft: Wondrous Item, or does it let me make wondrous items regardless of my craft skill?

Also is there a comprehensive list of craft skills? The D20SRD site only lists alchemy, weaponsmithing, trapmaking, armorsmithing, and bowmaking.

Zherog
2011-12-05, 02:43 PM
A 423

The Craft Wondrous Item feat allows you to take a non-magical item (gem, masterwork armor, masterwork sword, lantern, etc) and turn it into a magical item if you can meet the specific requirements of the item. I'm sure there are some items out there that require ranks in a Craft skill.

Timeless Error
2011-12-05, 03:17 PM
Q424: Does Improved Combat Reflexes (a feat from Dragon 340 allowing you to effectively make a second iterative attack on an AoO, with both attacks counting against your number of allowed opportunity attacks for the round) double the bonus you gain from each AoO you refrain from making for the Channel the Storm tactical option of the Stormguard Warrior feat (from Tome of Battle)? Likewise, would Greater Combat Reflexes (also from Dragon 340, which gives you a third iterative) triple the output?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-05, 03:35 PM
A 424 Yes.

Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes specifically state that you're making extra attacks of opportunity for each provocation. The Channel the Storm tactical option of Stormguard Warrior works against each AoO you forego versus a single opponent. Assuming you had the provocation and your allowance of AoOs was sufficient, you would stack multiple +4 bonuses for your attack rolls against that specific opponent in the next round.

OMG PONIES
2011-12-05, 07:28 PM
Q422 additional: What about ones like the arcanamach?

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-05, 08:29 PM
Q422 additional: What about ones like the arcanamach?

A422+ Oof, that's tougher. Offhand, all that I can think of that grant arcane spells past fourth level are Suel Arcanamach and Chameleon. Up to fourth, you've got the Demonologist, Mortal Hunter, Assassin, Slayer of Domiel, and Hoardstealer that come to mind, but I'm probably missing a couple.

Most of the classes that grant casting like that are divine, unfortunately...

killem2
2011-12-05, 11:50 PM
Q 425: Does the illusionist automatically know his illusions from others or will he have to save to believe its fake? (Say i put a giant fake stone wall in front of me that connects the walls to the left of me, can I see through it since I know its fake?)

Curmudgeon
2011-12-05, 11:59 PM
A 425
Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)
Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw. If you cast the illusion, that's your proof it isn't real. You have no need, and no option, to make a saving throw.

Delcor
2011-12-06, 12:50 AM
Q426
The 7th lvl cleric spell (Sunbeam) says that it does damage to undead equal to yur caster lvl, but to everything else it does 4d6. Assuming a 14th lvl caster, would this do 18d6 to an undead, or does the per caster lvl override the 4d6? basically do I do 14d6 or 18d6 to an undead as a 14th level cleric? Also, if you haven't used all your beams, and you get knocked out, do you lose the extra beams?

kardar233
2011-12-06, 01:26 AM
Q427:

When you cast an area spell and use the Extraordinary Spell Aim (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1057-extraordinary-spell-aim.html) feat or the Selective Spell (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-2543-selective-spell.html) metamagic feat on an ally, does the spell not affect a creature in his/her space? Perhaps by grappling, or being a Tiny or smaller creature.

Thurbane
2011-12-06, 02:42 AM

A422 additional

This list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091) may be of some help.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-06, 07:50 AM
A 426

The undead would take 14d6 damage. The spell treats undead, fungi, molds, oozes, and slimes differently from other targets.

Randomguy
2011-12-06, 04:08 PM
Q428 Does shapechange let you use a creature's spell like abilities, or just it's supernatural abilities? If a creature has spellcasting, like a solar, do you gain access to it's spellcasting?

Siosilvar
2011-12-06, 09:15 PM
A427 Both of those feats read that you exclude one creature and that creature alone from the spell's effect. Being in the same space or grappling doesn't change that.

A428 Shapechange gives you extraordinary and supernatural abilities. You do not gain spell-likes or natural* abilities except those that come from the physical form. Spellcasting is (almost always) considered a natural* ability.

*Read as "untyped - not Ex, Sp, or Su"

Qwertystop
2011-12-06, 09:45 PM
Q 420 (2 people both posted a 418):
What are the rules for making charge-pool magic items (like the Bag of Flames or the Thorn Pouch from MIC)?

Anyone? Reposting, as it fell back.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-12-06, 09:49 PM
Q429: Are negative levels and energy drain as distinct as they appear? For instance, an undead picking up a holy item would still gain negative levels?

Kurald Galain
2011-12-07, 12:40 AM
Q430: I have heard of a spell called Improved Bull's Strength (or something like that, maybe it was "Greater") that adds +6 or +8 to the target's strength. Could someone please tell me what book this spell is from, if any, and possibly what level it is?

Thurbane
2011-12-07, 01:44 AM
Anyone? Reposting, as it fell back.
A 420

I'm fairly certain there's no hard and fast formula for pricing such items...the DM would probably need to eyeball the item and guesstimate based on similar items in the MIC.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-07, 03:36 AM
A 429 Yes.

Energy drain is just one of a number of ways of imposing a negative level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_negativelevel&alpha=N), and that's the only connection. Being immune to energy drain provides no protection against incurring negative levels through some other means.

OMG PONIES
2011-12-07, 06:51 AM
Q431: Can a warblade recover maneuvers with a swift action and then make a full attack in the same round, or are they confined to making only one attack in a round in which they regain maneuvers?

Q432: Are there any playable races that have SLAs with a Caster Level greater than their ECL?

sonofzeal
2011-12-07, 07:43 AM
A431 - By RAW, a full-attack works. It's uncertain whether that's RAI, and let's not even mention the errata. That said, groups I've played in generally go with "no". Ask your DM though; RAW is indeed in favour of it.

A432 - I seriously doubt it... but I certainly can't disprove such a thing. Negative hypthesis and all that.

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-12-07, 09:14 AM
Q 434
A character with the Improved Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTrip) feat uses the Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#trip) special attack to pull a mounted opponent off their mount.

A) Does the tripped opponent land standing or prone?
B) Does the tripping character get the extra melee attack described by the Improved Trip feat for this use of Trip?
C) If the opponent landed standing and the tripper gets an extra attack, can this attack be used to attempt to trip the opponent to knock them prone?
D) If the answer to C is yes and the attempt to trip the opponent succeeds, does the tripping character get another extra melee attack for successfully making a trip?
E) Does the answer to any of this change if the character is using a weapon to trip?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the (massively) multipart question.

dextercorvia
2011-12-07, 09:27 AM
A 432

Duergar have SLAs with CL equal to twice their class level (min 3) for LA+1. Their CL will exceed ECL at every level (except one where they don't exist yet).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-07, 09:51 AM
A 434 A) Standing.

While a successful trip attack against a standing opponent renders them prone, there is no such stipulation when attacking a mounted foe. The operation is just a forced dismount.

A 434 B) Maybe.

The action is called "Tripping a Mounted Opponent", so you are afforded the opportunity to make a melee attack with Improved Trip. However, when a mounted character dismounts (willingly or not) they pick any space adjacent to their mount. This dismount space is not required to be within reach of the tripper's attacks.

A 434 C) Yes.

(If they pick a space within your reach, that is.)

A 434 D) Yes.

A 434 E) No.

killem2
2011-12-07, 01:15 PM
Q 435: Am I reading this right? CR ratings for traps, can be coverted into XP for the party, if they disable, avoid (saving throws i guess?), or survive it. If that is the case, is it just treated like the normal CR rating XP table on page 36 of the DM guide?

Q436: By default, are ALL magic item gotten from random treasure, considered "Unknown" to the party?

Zherog
2011-12-07, 01:32 PM
A 435

I'm not sure "can be converted to XP" is quite the right way to put it, but otherwise you're more or less correct.

Anything that has a CR -- monster, trap, even a roleplay encounter -- that the PCs overcome earns them XP. All XP is awarded based on looking up the CR on the table in the DMG.

JaronK
2011-12-07, 02:28 PM
Q 435: Am I reading this right? CR ratings for traps, can be coverted into XP for the party, if they disable, avoid (saving throws i guess?), or survive it. If that is the case, is it just treated like the normal CR rating XP table on page 36 of the DM guide?

Yes, the party gets xp for having successfully handled an appropriate CR encounter. Avoiding would be just what it sounds like... if they realize there's a trap there and just go around it, that counts.

Q436: By default, are ALL magic item gotten from random treasure, considered "Unknown" to the party?[/QUOTE]

Yes, hence the need for the identify spell and similar abilities.

JaronK

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-07, 06:40 PM
Q 437: Is there any way to use Dexterity instead of Strength when attacking with the lance? (A finessable lance is essentially what I'm looking for...)

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-07, 09:00 PM
Q 438

If my character is not proficient with shields, does that also mean I can't use a buckler?

I recall reading somewhere that buckler's don't require shield proficiency, but I can't find it anymore so I'm not sure if it is true.

sonofzeal
2011-12-07, 09:36 PM
A 438
Bucklers are shields and "require" shield proficiency... but Bucklers and Light Shields only actually have a relevant non-proficiency penalty of -1, or -0 if they're Mithral. This means anyone can use them freely, subject to normal restrictions like free hands and whatnot.

Kurald Galain
2011-12-07, 09:47 PM
Q430: I have heard of a spell called Improved Bull's Strength (or something like that, maybe it was "Greater") that adds +6 or +8 to the target's strength. Could someone please tell me what book this spell is from, if any, and possibly what level it is?

This one was not answered yet. Any ideas please?

paurpg
2011-12-07, 09:55 PM
Q 439 Can you ready a spell from a scroll for when someone appears?

dextercorvia
2011-12-07, 09:58 PM
A 430 Such a spell was available in 2e, but to the best of my knowledge not in 3.X. Unless it was printed in a Dragon Magazine, I probably would have seen it.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-07, 10:07 PM
A 439

Yes, you can ready an action to cast a spell from a scroll, provided it is a standard action.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-07, 10:22 PM
A 439 additional info

Note that you can only ready the standard action to cast the spell from the scroll, if that's your standard action. You would need to have the scroll already in hand and ready to read from.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-07, 11:07 PM
Q 440

If I am using a reach weapon such as a longspear do I get an AOO against any foe that tries to get to an adjacent square (within 5 feet of me)? If so, if the AOO hits does this prevent the enemy from getting to that square?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-08, 12:07 AM
A 440

Movement out of a square you threaten provokes an attack of opportunity, so you would get an AoO with a reach weapon when someone moves from 10' to 5'. The enemy is free to continue their turn after the AoO; you can only take one movement-provoked AoO per enemy in each turn.

killem2
2011-12-08, 08:56 AM
Q 441: Is there a Transmute Water to Stone spell?

theterran
2011-12-08, 09:31 AM
Q442

I'm having some confusion attempting to figure out my caster level with Sublime Chord. My character is as follows.

Bard 4/Cloistered Cleric 3/Mystic Thergue 3/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Thurge 4

Now, do I count the Bard 4 or does it get boosted by the Mystic Theurge 3 to actually be Bard 7 as counting toward Sublime Chord? And does the Mystic Theurge 4 count toward the CL of the Sublime Chord as well? :smallsigh:

Raendyn
2011-12-08, 09:33 AM

A 441

I don't think so, There is water -> Dust.

You can research such a spell with DM's approval, But have in mid that it might get tricky in the hands of a player with great imagination. He can alter environments... (pitty those goldfishes:thog:)

Q442

I'm having some confusion attempting to figure out my caster level with Sublime Chord. My character is as follows.

Bard 4/Cloistered Cleric 3/Mystic Thergue 3/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Thurge 4

Now, do I count the Bard 4 or does it get boosted by the Mystic Theurge 3 to actually be Bard 7 as counting toward Sublime Chord? And does the Mystic Theurge 4 count toward the CL of the Sublime Chord as well? :smallsigh:

A 442

Each time you lvl up as MTheurge you pick what classes to boost.
In your case, the 3 first MT lvls go to the bard by default.
The last 4 lvls go wherever you choose ( pick Chord)

So you ara Bard - 7/ CCleric - 10/ SChord - 5

And then you can decide that the chord spellcasting lvls lower up to 4 lvls and these are added to bard.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-08, 10:00 AM
Q 443

From the Tome of Magic page 38:

Cold Iron Claws: Your fingernails harden into cold iron, granting you one claw attack per hand. You can strike with each hand at your full attack bonus.

Does this mean if my BAB is +6/+1 and I make a full attack action I get four claw attacks at +6? Or do I get two claw attacks at +6 and two at +1?

theterran
2011-12-08, 10:11 AM
A 442

Awesome, got it!

And then you can decide that the chord spellcasting lvls lower up to 4 lvls and these are added to bard.

And don't got it, I'm not sure exactly what this means, could you explain further?...:smallconfused:

Urpriest
2011-12-08, 10:34 AM
Q 443

From the Tome of Magic page 38:

Cold Iron Claws: Your fingernails harden into cold iron, granting you one claw attack per hand. You can strike with each hand at your full attack bonus.

Does this mean if my BAB is +6/+1 and I make a full attack action I get four claw attacks at +6? Or do I get two claw attacks at +6 and two at +1?

A 443

Neither. The claws are explicitly claw attacks, and they strike at your full attack bonus, which means they are primary natural attacks. With a full attack you would get two claw attacks at +6.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-08, 10:47 AM
A 443

Neither. The claws are explicitly claw attacks, and they strike at your full attack bonus, which means they are primary natural attacks. With a full attack you would get two claw attacks at +6.

Q 444

So what if I only had +5 as my BAB? Do I only get one claw attack?

Douglas
2011-12-08, 11:04 AM
Q 444

So what if I only had +5 as my BAB? Do I only get one claw attack?
No, you'd still get both. Claws are a kind of natural attack, and iteratives are completely irrelevant for all natural attacks (except unarmed strike, which has all sorts of special unique exceptions). It doesn't matter whether your BAB is +0 or +20, you get precisely 2 claw attacks and both of them use your BAB with no penalty for number of attacks.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-08, 11:09 AM
No, you'd still get both. Claws are a kind of natural attack, and iteratives are completely irrelevant for all natural attacks (except unarmed strike, which has all sorts of special unique exceptions). It doesn't matter whether your BAB is +0 or +20, you get precisely 2 claw attacks and both of them use your BAB with no penalty for number of attacks.

Q 445

Alright that makes sense. Now I can expand on my question.

So I have +6/+1, and this time I have two natural weapons. I have claws, and a bite attack.

When I make a full attack do I get two claw attacks at +6, and then one bite attack at +1, or does the use of my claws mean I can't get any other attacks from additional natural weapons?

Douglas
2011-12-08, 11:33 AM
A445

You would get both claws and the bite, for a total of three natural attacks. Unless specifically noted otherwise, natural attacks are not mutually exclusive.

Which ones have which bonus depends on which ones are primary and which are secondary. Primary attacks get your full bonus. Secondary attacks get your full bonus minus 5. Secondary attacks also get only half strength bonus for damage, just like off-hand attacks with two weapon fighting. Usually something will specify which attacks are primary or secondary; if nothing specifies that, then I think you get to choose - only one attack or set of attacks (such as both claws) can be primary.

If the claws are primary, then you would get 2 claw attacks at +6 and a bite attack at +1. If the bite is primary, then you'd get a bite attack at +6 and 2 claw attacks at +1.

Incidentally, a primary natural attack that is also your only natural attack gets 1.5 times strength bonus to damage just like a two-handed weapon.

Qwertystop
2011-12-08, 11:48 AM

A 441:

No, as Raendyn said, but you could use Water to Dust, mix the dust with some unchanged water, and then use Mud to Rock.

killem2
2011-12-08, 12:25 PM
A 441:

No, as Raendyn said, but you could use Water to Dust, mix the dust with some unchanged water, and then use Mud to Rock.

Where is the Water to Dust spell? What book?

Qwertystop
2011-12-08, 02:30 PM
Where is the Water to Dust spell? What book?

No idea. He mentioned it, so I thought I would point out that it could be used in a workaround.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 03:04 PM
A 441 -Additional:
Transmute Water to Dust no longer exists as an official spell and references to it in the description of Polymorph Any Object were removed as of the errata.

killem2
2011-12-08, 04:36 PM
Prob for the best. I was going to target humanoids and turn their water in the body to dust and kill them.

:smallamused:

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-08, 04:50 PM
It wouldn't have mattered in most cases since the spell (http://www.coryj.net/CoreRule/corerule.php?page=DD02267.htm) does not work on living creatures not native to the elemental plane of water.

killem2
2011-12-08, 04:51 PM
It wouldn't have mattered in most cases since the spell (http://www.coryj.net/CoreRule/corerule.php?page=DD02267.htm) does not work on living creatures not native to the elemental plane of water.

Darn :P Thanks for the clarification hehe.

JaronK
2011-12-08, 05:00 PM
Q 437: Is there any way to use Dexterity instead of Strength when attacking with the lance? (A finessable lance is essentially what I'm looking for...)

A 437: IIRC if you apply the Feycraft template to the Lance (see DMG2) it should be finessable when mounted. It might become light though, which would kill off Power Attack... I don't quite remember.

JaronK

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-08, 05:21 PM
A 437: IIRC if you apply the Feycraft template to the Lance (see DMG2) it should be finessable when mounted. It might become light though, which would kill off Power Attack... I don't quite remember.

JaronK

Hmm... just pulled up the DMG2, and it specifically says that Feycraft cannot be applied to two-handed weapons.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. This eagle-mounted muckdweller I'm trying to build is turning out to be more of a pain to build than I'd hoped!

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-08, 06:30 PM
Q 442

Buckler: if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.

Does wielding a two-handed weapon count as using a weapon in my off hand for this purpose?

Q 443

How do I calculate my base attack bonus under these circumstances?

Class X: +11/+6/+1

next level I go into a class with BAB + 5.

What is my new BAB?

JaronK
2011-12-08, 06:43 PM
Hmm... just pulled up the DMG2, and it specifically says that Feycraft cannot be applied to two-handed weapons.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. This eagle-mounted muckdweller I'm trying to build is turning out to be more of a pain to build than I'd hoped!

Note that the Lance is a one handed weapon when used on horseback, which is why I mentioned this only works while mounted.

Your DM may not accept this though.

JaronK

Coidzor
2011-12-08, 10:06 PM
Q439: How do LA and RHD interact with XP totals? For instance, an 8th level character becomes an afflicted werewolf, gaining 2 LA and 2 RHD, they were 300 XP from leveling up to 9th level. Are they set to ECL 12's minimum XP? ECL 10's minimum? The minimum for their new ECL plus the XP they had gained towards 9th level from 8th level?

Siosilvar
2011-12-08, 11:07 PM
A446 (incorrectly labeled as 443) Add up all the first numbers in the BAB column on the class tables for your level, then determine iterative attacks by subtracting 5 until you get 4 attacks or a number less than 6, whichever is first. So if you have +7 BAB from one class and +5 from another, your attacks are +12/+7/+2. And if you had +2 and +4, you'd get two attacks at +6 and +1.

There are no classes that add more than 1 point of BAB for gaining a single level.

Pilo
2011-12-09, 10:27 AM
Q439: How do LA and RHD interact with XP totals? For instance, an 8th level character becomes an afflicted werewolf, gaining 2 LA and 2 RHD, they were 300 XP from leveling up to 9th level. Are they set to ECL 12's minimum XP? ECL 10's minimum? The minimum for their new ECL plus the XP they had gained towards 9th level from 8th level?

A439: Well, the level 8 character is now as powerful as a 12 level charcater. This character wont won any level until (s)he get enough experience to become level 13 from his/her current experience total. So i think (s)he has got something like 35700xp, (s)he has to wait until 78000 xp to get a new level.

Douglas
2011-12-09, 11:08 AM
A439

They don't. The character still has an XP total 300 short of level 9. He is actually ECL 12, though, and will not level up until his XP reaches the minimum for ECL 13. This means he'll probably be stuck not leveling up for a long time.

There is a WotC suggestion, I think either in Savage Species or on the web site, to fix the long period of no level gains by phasing in the template benefits gradually with a sort of monster "class" that splits up the hit dice, bonuses, and special abilities into a progression with one step for each hit die and point of level adjustment. With that variant, the character would change very little immediately, would take the first level of the monster class after earning 300 more XP, and would gain the full template over the course of the next three levels. When he reaches the XP for ECL 13, he would finally be able to take an actual class level again.

Dazed&Confused
2011-12-09, 01:22 PM
Q440
Say I'm a 9th level Fighter. What happens if I get the Lycanthrope template (Werebear), regarding levels, base creature HD, etc? Do I lose three levels and have to "get" 6 "bear" levels or what?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-09, 01:50 PM
A 440

As covered in A 439, you don't lose anything. Instead you acquire a +2 level adjustment and 6 racial hit dice, representing the increase in power from the werebear lycanthropy affliction and become an effective character level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_effectivecharacterlevel&alpha=E) (ECL) 17 character. Since you're now at level 17, you would next be able to attain another class level when your XP total reaches the requirement for level 18. Because you had suddenly gained a lot, you would "pay" for this by suffering a long stretch of required XP gain without any further increase in power.

Edit: Woops! Forgot about the racial hit dice, as douglas noted below. Corrections in red, to alleviate confusion.

Douglas
2011-12-09, 02:14 PM
A440 correction

In the case of a werebear, you would become an ECL 17 or 18 character, gaining the 6 racial hit dice specific to werebears plus the +2 or +3 level adjustment (depending on whether you're afflicted or natural) of all lycanthropes. It would be a very long time indeed before you leveled up again, as you would have to earn the XP difference between level 9 and level 18 or 19 in order to gain your first post-template level.

theterran
2011-12-09, 02:32 PM
Q450 (getting us back on track w/ the numbers)

Can anyone explain to me what the bolded section above means?

killem2
2011-12-09, 11:07 PM
Q 451: I am interested in creating poison with the craft alchemy skill, I found a chart in the DMG but it seems to be based more around what happens if you are effected. It gives some prices, but I wonder if those are used to crafting? Anyway Ideas? Comprehensive lists?

St Fan
2011-12-10, 01:07 AM
Q452

The Incantatrix prestige class gives you one prohibited school. How does this works for the Domain Wizard alternative class feature? If some spells of the chosen Domain are from the newly prohibited school, can they still be cast in the additional spell slots? If not, can the spell slots still be used for something else?

Q453

When a Wizard picks a prestige class giving one additional spellcaster level, he increases his spells per day and caster level, but no other class features. Does this includes the two free spells a Wizard can usually add to his spellbook with a new level? (The description for most prestige classes mentions that new "spells known" are gained, but I guess this is mainly with Sorcerers in mind.) Also, would the Collegiate Wizard feat still provides more spells? (Its description specifies "Wizard levels".)

Q454

If a Wizard is multiclassed with another spellcasting class, can he adds spells from the other class (that he can cast) shared by the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list to his spellbook? Would this require to use Scribe Scroll first, or not?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-10, 03:25 AM
A 452

You cannot enter Incantatrix if you are a Domain Wizard; that's a restriction of that class variant.
A domain wizard cannot also be a specialist wizard; in exchange for the versatility given up by specializing in a domain instead of an entire school, the domain wizard casts her chosen spells with increased power. Incantatrix Focused Studies is a specialization mechanism.

A 453

The answer will depend on the particular wording used for the prestige class. For instance, for Arcane Trickster the answer is no.
Spells per Day

When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. Spells per Day has no effect on "Spells Known", the subject of your question. Collegiate Wizard is specific to Wizard levels gained, so that will provide no benefit if you gain levels in any other class.

A 454

You can add anything you like, including soup recipes, to your spellbook. Unless they're Wizard spells learned via the standard mechanism, you gain no benefit.

Thespianus
2011-12-10, 05:57 AM
Q455

The Rogue ACF "Disruptive Attack" (PHBII p57) allows a Rogue who attacks a flat-footed target , or a target that the Rogue is flanking, to forego his Sneak Attack damage and instead impose a -5 penalty to the targets AC for 1 round.

If a TWF-Rogue with a +6/+1 BAB performs a Full Attack against such a target, and makes the first attack that hits a Disruptive Attack, will he be able to apply Sneak Attack damage on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th attack in his Full Attack?

(Assuming he hits with all 4 attacks, that is)

If this is true, it seems to be a pretty decent ACF for a TWF-Rogue

Curmudgeon
2011-12-10, 11:16 AM
A 455 Yes.

This is actually mentioned in the ACF text.
It’s also useful against creatures vulnerable to your sneak attacks, creating interesting tactical decisions for you in such fights.

St Fan
2011-12-10, 12:21 PM
Okay for 452 and 453; I didn’t see it this way with the Domain Wizard, but it makes sense. This alternate class feature DOES have some drawbacks, after all. However, the answer to 454 isn’t satisfying, so I’ll use a more detailed example.

Q 454B

A character has one level of Wizard and one level of Cloistered Cleric. He can thus use Scribe Scroll to write some scrolls with 1st-level spells from the Cleric spell list; let’s say the bonus spells of the Cloistered Cleric like erase, identify or unseen servant. Then, if he makes the proper Spellcraft checks for recopying the spells and spends the appropriate amount of money, he adds them to his spellbook as Wizard spells (having purposefully avoided them in his selection of free 1st-level Wizard spells). Does this work?

And while I’m at it, another question:

Q 456

The Divine Restoration alternate class feature (from Dungeonscape) allows a Cleric to cast restoration spells spontaneously, in exchange for a Domain power. It is taken at 3rd level -- logical, since the first of such spells is lesser restoration, which is a second level spell; taking it sooner would bring no advantage. (Correct me if there's anything wrong, I don't have the source.)

My question: some Domains grant new class skills as a power. Can a character simply maxes those skills at level 1-2, and then take Divine Restoration, the skills just becoming cross-class from this point on? (I know he can’t max the skills at level 3, since class features come before skill points).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-10, 12:53 PM
A 454B No.
Spells: A wizard casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. Intermediary steps taken (recopying or whatever) do not change your divine spells to make them arcane, even if the same spells appear on both Wizard and Cleric lists. You must first find an arcane version of a spell that's on the Wizard list to be able to learn it as a Wizard spell.

A 456 Yes.

A change in the status of a skill from class to cross-class does not impact existing skill ranks. The maximum ranks limit is in Step 6. Skill Points of the Level Advancement process (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59). There is no skill ranks limit applied other than in the process of acquiring skill points. If you are at or over the maximum you simply cannot spend any more skill points on that skill.

Also, you're wrong about where Divine Restoration comes into play. Step 9. Class Features is the last step in the Level Advancement order, and you are free to maximize your current class skills before that.

Swooper
2011-12-10, 06:39 PM
Q 457

Does forced movement (such as from a bullrush or a slide spell) qualify as movement w.r.t. skirmish?

St Fan
2011-12-10, 08:51 PM
Q 454C

I get the point; the scroll section does distinguish between arcane and divine scrolls, although the section about learning new spells from scrolls isn't too clear about it. However, to get back to the original question: if the arcane/divine divide is the only problem with the process suggested in 454B, then it should work with a Wizard/Sorcerer, or Wizard/Bard, or Wizard/Beguiler, right? All are arcane casters.

And a last one for the road:

Q 458

The Ultimate Magus prestige classe has for requirement, on the prepared caster side: "able to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells from a spellbook." Does this mean that prepared arcane casters who don't use a spellbook (for example, the Eidetic Wizard alternate class feature, or the Tantrist class from BoEF) are barred from this prestige class? What about the feat that allow a Wizard to tattoo his spellbook on his body (can't find the exact term)?

KicktheCAN
2011-12-10, 09:09 PM
A 452 Disputation

Nowhere in the Incantatrix description does it say that an Incantatrix is a type of specialized wizard. A domain wizard can become an Incantatrix. That said, a wizard with a prohibited school does not have access to any spells from that school, this may prevent a domain wizard from casting spells in their domain.

A 458

This requirement means exactly what it says. A character must be able to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells from a spellbook.

Douglas
2011-12-10, 09:39 PM
A 458

This requirement means exactly what it says. A character must be able to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells from a spellbook.
Note that this is only a problem for the options mentioned if they actually prevent the caster from using spellbooks at all, even borrowed or looted ones. Something that replaces a wizard's own spellbook with something else but does not remove the ability to prepare spells from other spellbooks (with a spellcraft check) would still allow entry into Ultimate Magus.

RAI-wise, that wording is really there to prevent spontaneous casters weaseling around it with the Arcane Preparation feat.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-10, 11:07 PM
Re: A 452 Disputation

Nowhere in the Incantatrix description does it say that an Incantatrix is a type of specialized wizard. A domain wizard can become an Incantatrix.
Nowhere in the RAW does it say that rules must be phrased in any particular way. An Incantatrix is a specialized arcane spellcaster by virtue of their 1st-level Focused Studies class feature. You do not need to be any sort of Wizard to enter Incantatrix, so of course the prestige class overview isn't going to use the phrase "specialized wizard"; however, if you do advance any Wizard spellcasting via Incantatrix you become (or become more of) a de facto specialist Wizard.

Incantatrix does specifically address the combination of Wizard and Incantatrix.
This prohibited school is in addition to any others already chosen due to school specialization. Thus, a specialized wizard taking this prestige class has three prohibited schools instead of two. (This refers to only the most common specialization option. A Divination specialist would only have one prohibited school, so Incantatrix Focused Studies would increase that number to two.)

If you were already a specialized Wizard (one or two prohibited schools), entering Incantatrix makes you more specialized (either two or three prohibited schools). If you were a Wizard but not previously specialized (zero prohibited schools), you become specialized (one prohibited school) via Focused Studies. A Domain Wizard is prevented by RAW from doing so.
A domain wizard cannot also be a specialist wizard

A 457 No.
She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn. The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted. The grammar is clear here: the Scout must move, rather than be moved, to qualify for skirmish bonus damage. Even being moved via the Scout's active control of a mount does not enable skirmish.

Hirax
2011-12-10, 11:38 PM
RE 452: I don't agree that becoming an incantatrix runs afoul of domain wizard restrictions. Domain wizard prevents you from being a "specialist wizard," which is a defined, specific thing (PHB, 57). An incantatrix does not become a "specialist wizard."

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 12:09 AM
RE 452: I don't agree that becoming an incantatrix runs afoul of domain wizard restrictions. Domain wizard prevents you from being a "specialist wizard," which is a defined, specific thing (PHB, 57). An incantatrix does not become a "specialist wizard."
Other than citing a page number (where the official title is SCHOOL SPECIALIZATION, and "specialist wizard" is a descriptive term rather than "a defined, specific thing"), this is the identical argument posed by KicktheCAN.

Since we're not getting any new RAW points brought up, I suggest that anyone who wants to discuss this further create a new thread specific to the purpose.

Hirax
2011-12-11, 12:53 AM
Other than citing a page number (where the official title is SCHOOL SPECIALIZATION, and "specialist wizard" is a descriptive term rather than "a defined, specific thing"), this is the identical argument posed by KicktheCAN.

Since we're not getting any new RAW points brought up, I suggest that anyone who wants to discuss this further create a new thread specific to the purpose.

That is not correct, it is a specific game term with prolific use. Examples include master specialist entry requirements, domain wizards, and the spellcraft skill in the PHB. The game uses the term specialist wizard too much to ascribe its repeated occurrence to coincidence. The contexts in which the term sees use necessitate that it be defined somewhere, so we know who may become a master specialist, for instance. The PHB lists the term specialist wizards in its index on page 317, referring the reader back to page 57. An incantatrix does not become what is described there. They would not qualify to become a master specialist, receive bonuses or penalties on certain spellcraft checks, or anything else hinging on being a specialist wizard. Nothing indicates that focused studies is in any way connected to being a specialist wizard.

Thespianus
2011-12-11, 06:24 AM
Q 459: What is the DC of using divinations against an Unseen Seer with the Guarded Mind class feature?

The feature description says "At 5th level, you become protected by nondetection (as the spell...)" and then lists the caster level as your character level.

However, the text of Nondetection (the spell) in the SRD says:

If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

So, am I, as the Unseen Seer protected by Nondetection as if I cast it on myself (ie DC 15+character level) or as if someone else cast it on me (ie DC 11 + character level)?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-12-11, 12:49 PM
Q460: does freedom of movement stop the entangled state, specifically the dex penalty? Its an odd status condition...

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 03:14 PM
A 460 No.

The benefit of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm) is specific to moving and attacking, so all facets of entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) state that pertain to either of those are negated. That leaves the DEX penalty, and the Concentration check to cast a spell which is not an attack.

zagan
2011-12-11, 03:21 PM
Q 461

The wording of the Haunting Melody feat (ECS p54) is a little weird and I'm confused on how it really work.
Specifically it say that "when you sing or use some other perform skill, you can unnerve enemies within 30ft of you"
I'm confused because it doesn't specify an action, it just say that you need to use to sing. Does this mean that when I use a bardic music effect (such as inspire courage) I can also use haunting melody at the same time, just by expending a second bardic music use ?

Geigan
2011-12-11, 03:25 PM
A 460 No.

The benefit of Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm) is specific to moving and attacking, so all facets of entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) state that pertain to either of those are negated. That leaves the DEX penalty, and the Concentration check to cast a spell which is not an attack.

Q462
How would the dex penalty interact with a character making ranged attacks or a melee character using weapon finesse? Would the dex penalty just not apply to said attacks?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 03:55 PM
A 462

That's correct. If it involves attacking or moving, Freedom of Movement will negate the penalty. The penalty remains for anything other than attacking or moving, though.

FMArthur
2011-12-11, 04:56 PM
Q 463

Can you end a Tome of Battle stance, and what sort of action is it? I can't seem to find it in the text. I'm making a character who has a single Warblade level and am wondering if choosing Punishing Stance (which comes with a drawback) as my only known stance would force me to use it perpetually or something similarly ridiculous.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 05:40 PM
A 463

As far as I've been able to ascertain, the rules provide no mechanism to end a stance without starting another one.
You initiate a stance as a swift action. A stance remains in effect indefinitely and is not expended. You enjoy the benefit your stance confers until you change to another stance you know as a swift action. You can remain in a stance outside of combat situations, and you can enjoy its benefit while exploring or traveling.

Douglas
2011-12-11, 05:45 PM
A463 correction

The text for this one is on page 43, 3rd paragraph of the Stance section:

You can use a single swift action to end one stance and begin another, or you can choose to simply end your current stance without entering a different one.

What Curmudgeon found on page 38 is only part of the rules for stances.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 06:00 PM
Excellent work, douglas. I stand corrected.

FMArthur
2011-12-11, 06:10 PM
Thanks to the both of you for taking the time regardless. I was making a very dumb warrior for a while there. :smallbiggrin:

killem2
2011-12-11, 10:31 PM
Q 464: When using an Item that boosts a constitution score, how will that effect hit dice when you gain a level? Say I have an 18 con at level 2, and I get some item that raises it to 20, just before I turn level 3. Does mean I can get the HD + 5 for hp? Just clarifying.

Douglas
2011-12-11, 10:47 PM
A464

Constitution's effect on hit points is fully retroactive. 16 base constitution and a +4 item gives you exactly the same hit points as 20 base and no item would, with the base 20 having been there from character creation. When you acquire the item relative to any given levelup point is irrelevant.

Geigan
2011-12-11, 10:47 PM
A464
Not only does it boost the hp you get from your next HD, it also boosts your old con mod to each of your previous HD. So if you get that +2 con bonus at level 3 to bring your mod to +5 from +4, the HD from that level and all of your previous levels would now contribute an additional hit point each. This is evidenced in the definition for con in the SRD, as well as the con enhancing spells such as bear's endurance.

Constitution (Con)

Constitution represents your character’s health and stamina. A Constitution bonus increases a character’s hit points, so the ability is important for all classes.

You apply your character’s Constitution modifier to:

* Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he or she advances in level).
* Fortitude saving throws, for resisting poison and similar threats.
* Concentration checks. Concentration is a skill, important to spellcasters, that has Constitution as its key ability.

If a character’s Constitution score changes enough to alter his or her Constitution modifier, the character’s hit points also increase or decrease accordingly.

The affected creature gains greater vitality and stamina. The spell grants the subject a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution, which adds the usual benefits to hit points, Fortitude saves, Constitution checks, and so forth.

Hit points gained by a temporary increase in Constitution score are not temporary hit points. They go away when the subject’s Constitution drops back to normal. They are not lost first as temporary hit points are.

edit: kerswordsaged by seconds

Trasilor
2011-12-11, 11:16 PM
Q465
Does the bonecrusher maneuver bonus to confirm criticals apply to the attack perfoming the maneuver or only to subsequent attacks

Geigan
2011-12-11, 11:21 PM
A465
Only subsequent attacks, as the save the creature makes comes after you've already hit so the bonus comes after the point at which it can help you.

killem2
2011-12-11, 11:24 PM
Q 466: Does a rogue gain the ability to sneak attack a target, if I cast Ray of Clumsiness on the target, and cause a Dexterity reduction so severe, that it removed all Dex AC bonus the target has?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-11, 11:57 PM
A 466 No.
Sneak Attack

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. You would just be removing the target's Dexterity bonus, not denying the applicability of whatever bonus exists.

zagan
2011-12-12, 02:09 AM
Repost in case it was missed at the end of last page.

Q 461

The wording of the Haunting Melody feat (ECS p54) is a little weird and I'm confused on how it really work.
Specifically it say that "when you sing or use some other perform skill, you can unnerve enemies within 30ft of you"
I'm confused because it doesn't specify an action, it just say that you need to use to sing. Does this mean that when I use a bardic music effect (such as inspire courage) I can also use haunting melody at the same time, just by expending a second bardic music use ?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-12, 02:17 AM
A 461

"When you sing or use some other Perform skill" requires that you use the Perform skill in some way (not necessarily through singing). A Bardic Music application which uses the Perform skill would thus qualify for the benefit of Haunting Melody (and use another daily use of Bardic Music in the process); an application which does not involve the Perform skill would not.

Geigan
2011-12-12, 02:40 AM
Q467

Would a spell targeting a character's magic items trigger countermeasures that result from targeting the wearer? For instance, can a Ring of Counterspells with dispel magic stored trigger against another dispel magic that is being cast at the ring of counterspells or another one of the wearer's magic items?

In a similar vein
Q468
Do magic items gain any of the benefits of buffs affecting the wearer? For instance, the wearer is under mindblank. Are their magic items immune to scrying as well, or do they show up when one scries specifically at magic items on the affected's person?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-12, 03:11 AM
A 467 Yes.

Attended objects use the better of their own or their possessor's saves, so targeting an attended magic item is targeting the character carrying it.

Re: A 468

Your question doesn't make sense to me, since Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) can only be used on a creature, not an item; similarly, Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm) only affects a creature, not an item. An item in the possession of a creature who cannot be detected would also not be detected when attempting to locate the creature.

Thespianus
2011-12-12, 03:31 AM
I hope I'm not violating any net etiquette by reposting this question. Maybe it was missed at the end of the last page, or it's just too difficult? ;)

Thanks for the answer to my previous one, btw.

Q 459: What is the DC of using divinations against an Unseen Seer with the Guarded Mind class feature?

The feature description says "At 5th level, you become protected by nondetection (as the spell...)" and then lists the caster level as your character level.

However, the text of Nondetection (the spell) in the SRD says:

If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

So, am I, as the Unseen Seer protected by Nondetection as if I cast it on myself (ie DC 15+character level) or as if someone else cast it on me (ie DC 11 + character level)?

Raendyn
2011-12-12, 06:42 AM

A 459

The fluf of the feature says that you learn to pretect yourself, so I would say to take the 15+Cha L.

At the same time the 11+ is so "meh" that is embarrassing for a Master of non-detection like the PrC fluf...
================================================== =============

Q 460

UMD states that for scrolls and wands You don't have to use the skill at all if the spell is on " your class list ". (assuming all the other criteria are met)

Now, Does that "class" word, means that you can Activate spell trigger and spell completion items even at lvl 1, just because the spell is on your class list? You need to know it?

Or the word "class" Is there just to justify that you can't cast a spell you know, from an item that has a different source?( i.e. a scroll of magic weapon that was created by a cleric, and you are a Sorc)

Thanks in aadvance.

Tasroth
2011-12-12, 09:28 AM
A 460

Yes, you can activate such items at level 1 if the spell is simply on your class list. So level 1 cleric, druid, wizard, sorcerer, or other caster can use a wand of a 4th level spell or a scroll of a 9th level spell no problem, provided it appears on their class list (a specialist wizard has some further restrictions due to barred schools of course).

However, since Arcane and Divine scrolls are different, a sorcerer couldn't cast magic weapon from a scroll created by a cleric. There is no such restriction on wands.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-12, 09:34 AM
A 469

The reference is to the standard systems for activating spell completion and spell trigger items.
Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. As you can see, if you have a spell on your class list you already can activate a spell trigger item containing that spell; no checks are required. Wands and staves are not typed (arcane/divine). Spell completion items (scrolls) are typed (arcane/divine) and require an ability minimum. If you are using the standard activation mechanism your spellcasting class will determine the type and also the spellcasting stat for the spell on the scroll; if your spellcasting class cannot satisfy both of those requirements then you must instead use Use Magic Device.

The activation systems are different if you are using Use Magic Device. For spell trigger items (wands or staves) your requirements are:

Identify the spell contained in the item. Use Magic Device does not supply a mechanism for this, though a DM might assume the spell is identified once you succeed on an Activate Blindly check with the item.
Make a Use a Wand check.
For spell completion items (scrolls) your requirements are:

Make a Decipher a Written Spell check to identify the spell on the scroll.
Have a high enough score in the spellcasting ability for any class which could have created the scroll. Thus for a divine scroll scribed by a Cleric you could satisfy the minimum with a sufficient Wisdom score (Cleric) or Charisma score (Favored Soul); the actual item crafter's information is not relevant. Or you can make an Emulate an Ability Score check.
Make a Use a Scroll check.

Zherog
2011-12-12, 10:22 AM
Quick format note: the most recent 460 should have been 469.

Metahuman1
2011-12-12, 04:44 PM
Q 470

What book is the Battle Dancer Class found in? I've heard of it hear and there but I've never been able to find it.

Roto
2011-12-12, 04:53 PM
Q: 471

Would you call a someone who focuses on Necromancy a necromancer, no matter if they are a wizard or cleric? or even another class?

Sorry, for the stupid question but I'm in an argument with someone who thinks Necromancers can only be wizards..

Metahuman1
2011-12-12, 04:56 PM
A 471

Yes you would. Hence why there is an entire class called the Dread Necromancer.

FMArthur
2011-12-12, 05:38 PM
A 470

Dragon Compendium

Geigan
2011-12-12, 05:59 PM
A 467 Yes.

Attended objects use the better of their own or their possessor's saves, so targeting an attended magic item is targeting the character carrying it.

Re: A 468

Your question doesn't make sense to me, since Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) can only be used on a creature, not an item; similarly, Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm) only affects a creature, not an item. An item in the possession of a creature who cannot be detected would also not be detected when attempting to locate the creature.

Can I get a pointer to the passage that explains the first one? I've been trying to find some text that gives a straight answer for awhile now.

as for Q468

I suppose I should have said divination instead of scrying. Would Arcane eye be a better example? I think I got what you meant though. Their items would not be detected as well if the wearer is under mind blank. Correct?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-12, 06:25 PM
Re: A 467

Can I get a pointer to the passage that explains the first one? I've been trying to find some text that gives a straight answer for awhile now.
From page 106 of Rules Compendium:
Magic items always receive saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + 1/2 its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner, or it uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is higher.

A 468

Attended items would not be detected if the creature is under the influence of Mind Blank and the creature is the object of a divination spell blocked by Mind Blank. A spell which targets the item independent of its possessor may function normally. Your DM would need to interpret this particular line in Discern Location:
Nothing short of a mind blank spell or the direct intervention of a deity keeps you from learning the exact location of a single individual or object. (Mind Blank only targets individuals, while Discern Location targets both individuals and objects.)

Eric Scott
2011-12-12, 07:24 PM
Q 469
Does any one know if stone dragons exist & if not does anyone know how I would go about making one?

Geigan
2011-12-12, 07:40 PM
A469
The Draconomicon has Mountain Landwyrms and Drakestone Golems which are a stony looking dragon and a dragony looking stone respectively. I don't know if there is such a monster called Stone Dragon exactly though.

JaronK
2011-12-12, 08:11 PM
Q: 471

Would you call a someone who focuses on Necromancy a necromancer, no matter if they are a wizard or cleric? or even another class?

Sorry, for the stupid question but I'm in an argument with someone who thinks Necromancers can only be wizards..

Note that "Necromancer" is in fact a specific title... it's a Wizard who specializes in Necromancy. For example, UA gives ACFs for Necromancers, and they only apply to that.

However, a necromancer (in game) can be anyone who practices necromancy, including a Dread Necromancer (who is obviously not a Wizard). So, you're both right... in game lots of people are called necromancers, but rules wise only one certain class (a subset of Wizards) is actually called just a "Necromancer."

TL;DR: You're both right.

JaronK

No brains
2011-12-12, 08:59 PM
Q470

Feycraft specifically excludes two handed weapons, but Bastard Swords are one-handed exotic weapons that have the option to be wielded two handed as martial. Can you make feycraft bastard swords?

Eric Scott
2011-12-12, 11:05 PM
A469
The Draconomicon has Mountain Landwyrms and Drakestone Golems which are a stony looking dragon and a dragony looking stone respectively. I don't know if there is such a monster called Stone Dragon exactly though.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-12, 11:55 PM
A 470

Yes, you can apply the feycraft template to a bastard sword. Most of the feycraft properties would apply always:

price increase
weight reduction
hardness reduction
as a lighter weapon, treated as 1 size category smaller for damage dealt
One property of feycraft would be situational:
If the weapon would normally be considered one-handed, it can be treated as a light weapon for the purpose of the Weapon Finesse feat If you wield the bastard sword in two hands it's not considered one-handed. Only when wielded in one hand can the feycraft bastard sword be treated as a light weapon for Weapon Finesse; feycraft cannot apply to weapons considered two-handed.

Thurbane
2011-12-13, 01:13 AM
Q471

What action (if any) is it to switch from using a tower shield from gaining +4 shield bonus to AC (using it as a normal shield), to using it as total cover (and back again)?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-13, 01:24 AM
A 471

No action is required, though the option to use a tower shield for total cover is only available if you give up all attacks in the round.

kardar233
2011-12-13, 02:42 AM
Q472:

Do Mouthpick Weapons (Lords of Madness p. 46) retain their handedness for the purposes of strength modifiers and Power Attack bonuses when taking up the Bite slot?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-13, 06:22 AM
A 472 No.
The creature’s natural bite attack is now replaced by the weapon attack There is no "handedness" with a mouthpick weapon; it instead maintains the Strength bonus that applies to its natural bite attack.

killem2
2011-12-13, 08:19 AM
Q 473: Craft: Armor. Can this be used to craft barding at the normal DC or is it considered harder to make? If I can craft it, can I also make it magical once I am able to create magical armor? Does magical items have any different effect on animals?

Metahuman1
2011-12-13, 12:57 PM
Q 474 Is there a way to get the Track Feat with out actually spending either a dip into a class or an actual feat on it? A magic Item or something?

Something NOT setting specific would be much preferred.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-13, 03:34 PM
A 474

Add the Half-Minotaur inherited template (Dragon # 313, pages 94-95); you gain Track as a bonus feat.

Siosilvar
2011-12-13, 03:37 PM
A473 Barding is just armor, so you can make it as normal with Craft (Armor). Note the cost multipliers: twice the cost for a medium creature, four times the cost for a large creature. It can be made magic and has the usual effects.

killem2
2011-12-13, 05:53 PM
A473 Barding is just armor, so you can make it as normal with Craft (Armor). Note the cost multipliers: twice the cost for a medium creature, four times the cost for a large creature. It can be made magic and has the usual effects.

Sweet. Thanks :)

Metahuman1
2011-12-13, 08:04 PM
A 474

Add the Half-Minotaur inherited template (Dragon # 313, pages 94-95); you gain Track as a bonus feat.

Is there perhaps something other then being half minotaur?

Problem with Half Minotaur: The DM has decided he doesn't want to allow Dragon Mag.

Joxer t' Mighty
2011-12-13, 09:03 PM
Q 475

What page(s?) in Dungeonscape references the Marvelous Pigments magical item?

Douglas
2011-12-13, 09:44 PM
A475

That item is actually core (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#marvelousPigments).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-13, 09:47 PM
A 475

Nolzur’s Marvelous Pigments are on page 263 on Dungeon Master's Guide and page 38 of Dungeonscape.

deuxhero
2011-12-13, 11:21 PM
Q476

Does the Suppression (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#suppression) quality's reference to "manifester level" mean the users (and if so, how is a non-manifester calculated. Is it unsuable or 1d20+5+0?) or the manifester level of the creator?

Q477

Does the melee touch attack from a trip attempt count as "struck by this kind of weapon" (meaning an extra dispel attempt with improved trip)?

sonofzeal
2011-12-14, 01:49 AM
Q 478

Is there a special material or other way of making a weapon (specifically a quarterstaff) so it deals nonlethal by default (ie no penalty to do nonlethal, -4 to deal lethal)? Thanks!

cd4
2011-12-14, 05:10 AM
A478 The Merciful property found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful) will make the weapon normally do non-leathal damage for a +1 cost.

theterran
2011-12-14, 12:01 PM
Q479

Do things like Familiars, Animal companions, and Psicrystals get their own feats as they level with you? If so where is this outlined?

deuxhero
2011-12-14, 12:46 PM
A4799
Familars do not (because they don't gain HD, onl having hit POINTS equal to half the masters, though they maintain the feats typical of an animal of their type and you can Psychic Reformation any non-bonus feats into anything they qualify for), Psycrystals (and Animal Companions/Special Mount/ect) do because they do gain HD

See the Hit dice field here

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm

As an intelligent creature with HD, they, by raw, gain feats.

AC/SM/Ect explicitly gain feats as part of advancement.

theterran
2011-12-14, 01:17 PM
Q479b

So then would the feats fall on HD that are multiples of 3 just like a PC?

Metahuman1
2011-12-14, 01:39 PM
Q 480 If I take two levels in two separate martial adept classes, do they improve each others maneuver progression?

Example.

I have 2 levels in fighter, 1 level in Warblade, 1 level in Swordsage. Would I be treated as a third level martial adept capable of using 2nd lvl maneuvers form both classes, or would I still only have access too half the levels, and this be treated as a Second level Martial adept in the Martial adept classes and thus only able to use first level maneuvers?

cd4
2011-12-14, 02:44 PM
A480 No, each class has a seperate maneuver progression and the other base classes don't boost those except by the normal 0.5ML

In your example you would have a Warblade ML of 2 which translates to first level maneuvers and a Swordsage ML of 2.5 which is still first level manuevers.

Manouver based prestige classes will however boost all base progressions at the same time by full 1ML

Zherog
2011-12-14, 03:57 PM
A 479b

Yes, every creature with an Int of 1 or greater gains a feat at 1st level and an additional feat every three levels (3, 6, 9, etc).

kardar233
2011-12-14, 04:29 PM
Q481:

How does the feat Ordered Chaos (FCI: Hordes) interact with the Incarnate's alignment requirements and alignment-based benefits?

Randomguy
2011-12-14, 09:01 PM
Q482: Where does it say that lion totem barbarians get pounce? Unearthed arcana just says they get run as a bonus feat, +2 on damage during charges and +2 to hide checks.

Cog
2011-12-14, 09:08 PM
A 482:
Lion Totem barbarians don't. Spirit Lion Totem barbarians, from Complete Champion, do.

pfz555
2011-12-15, 12:23 AM
Q483

I'm looking at taking a Tashalatora Monk build, but the feat confuses me a bit. It says the following:
Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Training stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage from the monk class.

How does this affect my Flurry of Blows attack?

deuxhero
2011-12-15, 12:34 AM
Q484

Where is the speed at which things fall in the rules?

Hirax
2011-12-15, 12:36 AM
A483
Assuming you chose psychic warrior as your tashalatora class, at level 5 (mon2/psywar3) your flurry penalty would go down to -1, at level 9 (monk2/psywar7) you'd have no penalty when you use flurry. At level 11 (monk2/psywar9) you get 2 extra attacks when using flurry instead of 1 extra attack. Because your psychic warrior levels (and only your psychic warrior levels) stack with monk levels. If you were a monk2/psywar8/slayer10, for instance, you'd only count as a 10th level monk, and so you wouldn't get the 2nd extra attack from flurry.

killem2
2011-12-15, 12:38 AM
Q484

Where is the speed at which things fall in the rules?

A 484: DMG 3.5 PAGE 303.

FALLING
One of the most common hazards to adventurers is a fall from
some great height.
Falling Damage: The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of
damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6.
If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or
falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage.
A DC 15 Jump check or DC 15 Tumble check allows the character
to avoid any damage from the first 10 feet fallen and converts
any damage from the second 10 feet to nonlethal damage. Thus, a
character who slips from a ledge 30 feet up takes 3d6 damage. If
the same character deliberately jumped, he takes 1d6 points of
nonlethal damage and 2d6 points of lethal damage. And if the
character leaps down with a successful Jump or Tumble check, he
takes only 1d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d6 points of lethal
damage from the plunge.
Falls onto yielding surfaces (soft ground, mud) also convert the
first 1d6 of damage to nonlethal damage. This reduction is cumulative
with reduced damage due to deliberate jumps and the Jump
skill.
Falling into Water: Falls into water are handled somewhat
differently. If the water is at least 10 feet deep, the first 20 feet of
falling do no damage. The next 20 feet do nonlethal damage (1d3
per 10-foot increment). Beyond that, falling damage is lethal
damage (1d6 per additional 10-foot increment).
Characters who deliberately dive into water take no damage on
a successful DC 15 Swim check or DC 15 Tumble check, so long as
the water is at least 10 feet deep for every 30 feet fallen. However,
the DC of the check increases by 5 for every 50 feet of the dive.
FALLING OBJECTS
Just as characters take damage when they fall more than 10 feet, so
too do they take damage when they are hit by falling objects.
Objects that fall upon characters deal damage based on their
weight and the distance they have fallen.
Table 8–4: Damage from Falling Objects
Object Weight Falling Distance
200–101 lb. 20 ft.
100–51 lb. 30 ft.
50–31 lb. 40 ft.
30–11 lb. 50 ft.
10–6 lb. 60 ft.
5–1 lb. 70 ft.
For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6
points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also
comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for
every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of
20d6 points of damage).
Objects smaller than 200 pounds also deal damage when
dropped, but they must fall farther to deal the same damage. Use
Table 8–4: Damage from Falling Objects to see how far an object of
a given weight must drop to deal 1d6 points of damage.
Example: A magic flying ship tilts to one side and drops a 400-
pound stone statue (a petrified comrade) overboard. The statue
deals 2d6 points of damage to anything it strikes by virtue of its
weight alone. If the ship were 100 feet in the air at the time, the
falling statue would deal an additional 9d6 points of damage, for a
total of 11d6.
For each additional increment an object falls, it deals an additional
1d6 points of damage. For example, since a 30-pound metal
sphere must fall 50 feet to deal damage (1d6 points of damage),
such a sphere that fell 150 feet would deal 3d6 points of damage.
Objects weighing less than 1 pound do not deal damage to those
they land upon, no matter how far they have fallen.

Q 485: As a wizard can I create magic ring or wand that can cast Reduce Animal and use it myself?

deuxhero
2011-12-15, 12:41 AM
^ Exactly why I asked. I see the damage to the falling object and what it hits, but I don't see the speed (if something falls from 100 feet in the air, does it reach the ground as soon as it starts falling? In 1 round? 2?) it takes to fall.

Incriptus
2011-12-15, 12:57 AM
Q 487 [My appologies]
Magic Item Compendium P25
Crystal of Arrow Deflection
Appears to have an [untyped] bonus to AC against Ranged Attacks

Does this apply to Ranged Touch Attacks?

killem2
2011-12-15, 01:44 AM
^ Exactly why I asked. I see the damage to the falling object and what it hits, but I don't see the speed (if something falls from 100 feet in the air, does it reach the ground as soon as it starts falling? In 1 round? 2?) it takes to fall.

I don't know if this will explain it further for you.

PLANAR TRAITS
Each plane of existence has its own properties—the natural laws
of its universe.
Planar traits are broken down into a number of general areas.
All planes have the following kinds of traits.
Physical Traits: These traits determine the laws of physics and
nature on the plane, including how gravity and time function.
Elemental and Energy Traits: These traits determine the
dominance of particular elemental or energy forces.
Alignment Traits: Just as characters may be lawful neutral or
chaotic good, many planes are tied to a particular moral or ethical
outlook.
Magic Traits: Magic works differently from plane to plane, and
magic traits set the boundaries for what it can and can’t do.
Physical Traits
The two most important natural laws set by physical traits are how
gravity works and how time passes. Other physical traits pertain to
the size and shape of a plane and how easily a plane’s nature can be
altered.

Gravity: The direction of gravity’s pull may be unusual, and it
might even change directions within the plane itself.
Normal Gravity: Most planes have gravity similar to that of the
Material Plane. That is, if something weighs 10 pounds on the
Material Plane, it weighs 10 pounds on the other plane as well. The
usual rules for ability scores, carrying capacity, and encumbrance
apply. Unless otherwise noted in a description, every plane in the
D&D cosmology has the normal gravity trait.
Heavy Gravity: The gravity on a plane with this trait is much more
intense than on the Material Plane. As a result, Balance, Climb,
Jump, Ride, Swim, and Tumble checks incur a –2 circumstance

CHAPTER 5:
CAMPAIGNS
penalty, as do all attack rolls. All item weights are effectively
doubled, which might affect a character’s speed. Weapon ranges are
halved. A character’s Strength and Dexterity scores are not affected.
Characters who fall on a heavy gravity plane take 1d10 points of
damage for each 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d10 points of
damage.

No Gravity: Individuals on a plane with this trait merely float in
space, unless other resources (such as magic or force of will) are
available to provide a direction for gravity’s pull.
Objective Directional Gravity: The strength of gravity on a plane
with this trait is the same as on the Material Plane, but the direction
is not the traditional “down” toward the ground. It may be
down toward any solid object, at an angle to the surface of the
plane itself, or even upward, creating a chandelierlike world
where everyone has to hang on or be thrown out into the void.
In addition, objective directional gravity may change from
place to place. The direction of “down” may vary, so individuals
may suddenly find themselves falling upward (similar to the
reverse gravity spell) or walking up walls.

Travelers on planes with objective directional gravity tend to be
cautious. No one wants to discover the hard way that the 100-foot
corridor ahead has become a 100-foot-deep pit.

Subjective Directional Gravity: The strength of gravity on a plane
with this trait is the same as on the Material Plane, but each individual
chooses the direction of gravity’s pull. Such a plane has no
gravity for unattended objects and nonsentient creatures. This
sort of environment can be very disorienting to the newcomer,
but is common on “weightless” planes such as the Plane of Air.
Characters on a plane with subjective directional gravity can
move normally along a solid surface by imagining “down” near
their feet. If suspended in midair, a character “flies” by merely
choosing a “down” direction and “falling” that way. Under such a
procedure, an individual “falls” 150 feet in the first round and 300
feet in each succeeding round. Movement is straight-line only. In
order to stop, one has to slow one’s movement by changing the
designated “down” direction (again, moving 150 feet in the new
direction in the first round and 300 feet per round thereafter).
It takes a DC 16 Wisdom check to set a new direction of gravity
as a free action; this check can be made once per round. Any character
who fails this Wisdom check in successive rounds receives a
+6 bonus on subsequent checks until he or she succeeds.
Time: The rate of time’s passage can vary on different planes,
though it remains constant within any particular plane. Time
becomes interesting when one moves from plane to plane, but it
still moves at the same apparent rate for the traveler.
In other words, time is always subjective for the viewer. If
someone is magically frozen in place for a year, at the end of that
time he or she thinks mere seconds have passed. But to everyone
else, a year has elapsed.
The same subjectivity applies to various planes. Travelers may
discover that they’ll pick up or lose time while moving among the
planes, but from their point of view, time always passes naturally.
Normal Time: This trait describes the way time passes on the
Material Plane. One hour on a plane with normal time equals one
hour on the Material Plane. Unless otherwise noted in a description,
every plane in the D&D cosmology has the normal time trait.
Timeless: On planes with this trait, time still passes, but the
effects of time are diminished. See the description of the Astral
Plane, page 154, for an example of how the timeless trait can affect
certain activities or conditions such as hunger, thirst, aging, the
effects of poison, and healing.

The danger of a timeless plane is that once one leaves such a
plane for one where time flows normally, conditions such as
hunger and aging do occur retroactively. A character who hasn’t
eaten for ten years on a timeless plane might be ravenous (though
not dead), and one who has been “stuck” at age twenty for fifty
years might now reach age seventy in a heartbeat. Traditional tales
of folklore tell of places where heroes live hundreds of years, only
to crumble to dust as soon as they leave.

Shape and Size: Planes come in a variety of sizes and shapes.
Most planes (including all of those in the D&D cosmology) are
infinite, or at least so large that they may as well be infinite.
Infinite: Planes with this trait go on forever, though they may
have finite components within them (such as spherical worlds).
Or they may consist of ongoing expanses in two directions, like a
map that stretches out infinitely.

Morphic Traits: This trait measures how easily the basic
nature of a plane can be changed. Some planes are responsive to
sentient thought, while others can be manipulated only by
extremely powerful creatures. And some planes respond to physical
or magical efforts.

Alterable Morphic: On a plane with this trait, objects remain
where they are (and what they are) unless affected by physical
force or magic. You can build a castle, animate a statue, or grow
crops in an alterable plane, changing your immediate environment
as a result of tangible effort. Unless otherwise noted in a
description, every plane in the D&D cosmology other than the
Outer Planes has the alterable morphic trait.

Highly Morphic: On a plane with this trait, features of the plane
change so frequently that it’s difficult to keep a particular area
stable. Such planes may react dramatically to specific spells, sentient
thought, or the force of will. Others change for no reason. In
the D&D cosmology, Limbo is a highly morphic plane.
Magically Morphic: Specific spells can alter the basic material of a
plane with this trait. The Plane of Shadow, which can be drawn
elsewhere and used to duplicate other spells, is a good example of
a magically morphic plane.

Divinely Morphic: Specific unique beings (deities or similar great
powers) have the ability to alter objects, creatures, and the landscape
on planes with this trait. Ordinary characters find these
planes similar to alterable planes in that they may be affected by
spells and physical effort. But the deities may cause these areas to
change instantly and dramatically, creating great kingdoms for
themselves. All of the Outer Planes except for Limbo are divinely
morphic, which is one reason deities live there.

I think what your asking is borderline upto the DM. Because it depends on the world's gravity.

Lictor of Thrax
2011-12-15, 02:08 AM
Q: 486

I just wanted to make sure. If I used a trip with an improved trip feat when I have sneak attack ability, is my free attack then also a sneak attack?

Geigan
2011-12-15, 02:36 AM
A486
If your enemy is applicable to be sneak attacked after your trip attempt, then yes the free attack you get for tripping successfully may be a sneak attack.

Remember though that being prone does not necessarily mean one can be sneak attacked, as you still need to deny their dexterity bonus or flank them before you can sneak attack.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-15, 02:37 AM
A 484

From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 136:
This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round, the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people. The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise, this situation is what your players expect. Thus the speed of a falling object increases by normal gravitational acceleration, 32 feet per second for each second it drops. The FAQ author figured out the answer in terms of rounds with terminal velocity included for falling characters: you drop roughly 500' in the first round, reaching terminal velocity (120 MPH) near the end; and each subsequent round you drop another 1200'.

A 486 Maybe.

If you qualify for sneak attack after you trip your foe, then you add sneak attack damage. If you do not qualify at that time, then you do not. Being prone by itself does not enable sneak attack damage in D&D 3.5.

Zherog
2011-12-15, 11:55 AM
A 485

Q 485: As a wizard can I create magic ring or wand that can cast Reduce Animal and use it myself?

If your creature type is "Animal" then yes. If your creature type is something else (most commonly "humanoid") then no.

killem2
2011-12-15, 04:07 PM
A 485

If your creature type is "Animal" then yes. If your creature type is something else (most commonly "humanoid") then no.

Well I am a humanoid, but the bear I would in the future like to use it on is an animal.

I just wanted to make sure I'm allowed to use a magical item that casts a spell, I can never normally cast as a wizard.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-15, 04:39 PM
Re: A 485
I just wanted to make sure I'm allowed to use a magical item that casts a spell, I can never normally cast as a wizard.
If it's a spell trigger or spell completion item, then no, you cannot use it normally. You would need to make a successful Use Magic Device check for each activation. You also cannot make a magic item without satisfying the crafting requirements, and any item which uses a spell requires a daily casting of that spell during the crafting period.

Randomguy
2011-12-15, 08:00 PM
Q487: Do outsiders age? Can they die of old age?

pfz555
2011-12-15, 09:12 PM
Q488

Does a monk's unarmed strike count as a single natural weapon for the purpose of the Necklace of Natural Weapons?

Lictor of Thrax
2011-12-15, 09:48 PM
A486
If your enemy is applicable to be sneak attacked after your trip attempt, then yes the free attack you get for tripping successfully may be a sneak attack.

Remember though that being prone does not necessarily mean one can be sneak attacked, as you still need to deny their dexterity bonus or flank them before you can sneak attack.

I guess I didn't explain that well.

More what I'm asking is, does the attack after improved trip happen in the same motion of the trip? If I'm invisible and thus have a sneak attack option on the target, I become visible once I go for the trip but do I still get the sneak attack bonus for the follow-up attacks to the trip?

What confuses me is the way it's phrased,
"You immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn't used your attack for the trip attempt.

In other words, I see this as the attacks being made within the same motion of the trip, not as a second action. Not that you're tripping, then attacking but instead you're tripping and attacking in one fluid motion much the same way when you get extra attacks due to BAB bonuses or two-weapon fighting.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-15, 10:25 PM
Re: A 486

That phrase just means you're not using up iterative attacks: the bonus attack following the trip is at the same attack bonus as for the trip attack. If you trip while under an Invisibility spell you will be visible when you take the bonus attack afforded by Improved Trip.

"Immediately" means without any gaps in time; it does not mean "simultaneous" (happening at the same time).

Jon_Dahl
2011-12-16, 05:04 AM
Q489

Enemy caster is using Mirror Image. You successfully strike the caster instead of one of his figments.
Now the actual question:
If the caster doesn't move, are all opponents - whom witnessed the successful attack - able to target him now, thus automatically bypassing the figment(s)?

My guess is that the caster should move every time is location is given away by a successful targeted attack.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-16, 05:39 AM
A 489

Each of the spellcaster's opponents would need to succeed on a reactive Spot check to notice the actual creature being hit. They would then know which image is real, until the spellcaster moved to merge with and split off from figments. Those who failed their Spot check would only be able to target images randomly.

Jon_Dahl
2011-12-16, 07:11 AM
A 489

Each of the spellcaster's opponents would need to succeed on a reactive Spot check to notice the actual creature being hit. They would then know which image is real, until the spellcaster moved to merge with and split off from figments. Those who failed their Spot check would only be able to target images randomly.

How to define the Spot DC? There is no opposed Disguise or Hide here. Sorry but I slightly question your logic here, but I do concur 100% with the fact that the caster's position is given away until he moves again (in other words, performs a move action from one square to another).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-16, 07:33 AM
How to define the Spot DC? There is no opposed Disguise or Hide here.
From Table 4–3: Difficulty Class Examples (Player's Handbook, page 64):

{table=head]Difficulty (DC) | Example (Skill Used)
Very easy (0) | Notice something large in plain sight (Spot)[/table]

Adjust the DCs for different size creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) appropriately.

Sometimes a creature isn’t intentionally hiding but is still difficult to see, so a successful Spot check is necessary to notice it.

{table=head]Condition | Penalty
Per 10 feet of distance | –1[/table]

Jon_Dahl
2011-12-16, 07:42 AM
From Table 4–3: Difficulty Class Examples (Player's Handbook, page 64):

{table=head]Difficulty (DC) | Example (Skill Used)
Very easy (0) | Notice something large in plain sight (Spot)[/table]

Adjust the DCs for different size creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) appropriately.

Thank you, now it's all clear to me.

Idea Man
2011-12-16, 02:50 PM
Q. 490

Would a spell modified by the metamagic feat scorching spell from Sandstorm bypass protection from energy (fire)?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-12-16, 02:59 PM
A 490

I'm going to assume you meant Searing Spell from Sandstorm, which causes the spell to ignore fire resistance and do half damage to things which are immune to fire.

From Protection From Energy: "Protection from energy grants temporary immunity to the type of energy you specify when you cast it (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic)"
My bold for emphasis. So a fire spell with searing spell on it would do half damage until it exhausted the protection, after which it would presumably do full damage.

I guess a more difficult ruling would be "what damage does the prot absorb?" I would say it absorbs all of the damage in spite half of it getting through, but that part is up to more interpretation.

Q 491

What is the duration of a Persistent, Extended spell?

reaver2033
2011-12-16, 03:32 PM
Q 492

Can you use Rapid Shot and Multishot at the same time? As in firing 2 times (with Rapid Shot) with 2 arrows each (with Multishot).

Zherog
2011-12-16, 03:37 PM
A 492

No.

Rapid Shot requires a full attack action; Multishot requires a standard action.

reaver2033
2011-12-16, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the quick answer ! Had a bit of an argue with someone about this.

cd4
2011-12-16, 03:46 PM
Q493 Can a Fiend of Possession (FF) use its own skills as well as the victim's skills when controlling a victim?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-16, 04:09 PM
A 491

The answer depends on the order in which you apply the metamagic feats. Persistent Spell sets the duration to 24 hours. Extend Spell sets the duration to 2x whatever the normal duration for the spell is (not 2x the duration after modification by other metamagic). So whichever metamagic feat is applied last will set the duration.

Metahuman1
2011-12-16, 05:04 PM
Q 494

Can a character with Pounce and a Martial Maneuver use both in one round?

Example:

I charge my the monster and activate Mountain Hammer, and then because of pounce get my full attack with the add on's form Mountain Hammer?

Douglas
2011-12-16, 05:17 PM
A494

Yes, but only with maneuvers that are valid to charge with in the first place. Your example of Mountain Hammer is not one of them.

Charging takes a full round action and gives you one attack - not a generic standard action - at the end. Mountain Hammer takes a standard action, which you don't have at the end of a charge. There are no maneuvers that have an attack as their initiation action, so this means of combining charges with maneuvers never works.

The only way you can charge and have the attack at the end be part of a maneuver is if the charge itself is part of the maneuver's effect. For example, Battle Leader's Charge, War Leader's Charge, Pouncing Charge, Searing Charge, Bounding Assault, Pouncing Charge, and so on. When using any of these maneuvers, you do get the benefit of Pounce and get to make a full attack at the end of the charge. However, most of these maneuvers use singular terms ('it', 'the', 'attack', etc.) to refer to the attack that gets the maneuver's bonus, and this could be interpreted to mean that only the one normal attack gets the maneuver's effect no matter how many attacks you actually make. This reading would, for example, mean that a Pouncing character who uses Battle Leader's Charge would get +10 damage on his first attack but only normal damage on any additional attacks gained from Pounce.

No brains
2011-12-16, 09:17 PM
Q 495
Are there cohesive and coherent guidelines for what makes a mount rideable? I know there is the specification that it must be 'willing' and 'able', but what defines 'able'? In the same passage, a hill giant is mentioned as being potentially willing but not able. Why is this?

Q 496
What body parts are required by RAW for ride checks? Would having fewer or more limbs than the average human interfere with making ride checks? Are hands and legs strictly required?

Deimess
2011-12-17, 01:24 AM
Q 497

By RAW, can you take more levels in a prestige class than it has listed?

EX: Mystic Theurge 11?

reaver2033
2011-12-17, 02:45 AM
Q 498

If someone casts Undetectable Alignment on himself, is there any other spell that can counter this so that it may reveal its true alignement?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-17, 03:06 AM
A 497 Yes.

From Epic Level Basics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm):
A ten-level prestige class can progress beyond 10th level, but only if the character level is already 20th or higher. A class with fewer than ten levels cannot progress beyond the maximum for that class, regardless of character level. The specific Epic extension of the Mystic Theurge prestige class is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClassProgressions.htm#epicMysticTheurge).

kardar233
2011-12-17, 06:04 AM
Q481:

How does the feat Ordered Chaos (FCI: Hordes) interact with the Incarnate's alignment requirements and alignment-based benefits?

Repost from a couple pages back.

fencepainter
2011-12-17, 10:42 AM
Q499: I've already screwed up by asking this in the PF q&a forum by mistake. But in 3.5, could I make a double valorous weapon (that is apply valorous to a weapon twice) that would give twice the bonus? Or will that item enhancement not stack?

Curmudgeon
2011-12-17, 11:55 AM
A 499
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). Since Valorous provides a bonus to your damage roll, it won't stack per the basic stacking rule (above).

Lateral
2011-12-17, 08:19 PM
Q 500

What are the price modifiers for Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal weapons? Also, does the price modifier for Large weapons (and also Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal weapons) apply to masterwork costs? Enhancement costs? Special material costs? Just the base cost?

Q 501

The Master of the Unseen Hand's Telekinetic Wielder ability allows you to use telekinesis to make an attack with a weapon from up to 20 feet away. How does the size of the weapon affect this ability?

Roto
2011-12-17, 09:19 PM
Q 502

How many goblins is it safe to send against a 4 person party all level 1?

Lateral
2011-12-17, 09:25 PM
A 502

First of all, that isn't a RAW question- there's no real measure as to what's 'appropriate' for any given party.

Going strictly by CR, though, three goblins is CR 1. Less means less challenging, more means more. The more powerful your party is, the more you need to throw to challenge them.