PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a ghost?

thereaper
2011-10-19, 04:12 PM
As the title implies, how can you kill a ghost and prevent it from coming back?

The only three methods I can think of are:

1) set right whatever is preventing the ghost from resting in peace (for the purposes of this thread, this method is considered to be either something impossible or repulsive to the PCs).

2) The "True Death" ability of the Hunter of the Dead prestige class.

3) Sphere of Annihilation.

Any other ways?

I just find myself troubled by the idea that an epic level BBEG can find himself unable to get rid of a mere 16 HD ghost.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-19, 04:14 PM
Epic-fied version of Soul Bind that works on any soul not attatched to a body.

Kol Korran
2011-10-19, 05:20 PM
wouldn't the sun domain be able to get rid of it? total destruction? i guess it depends on your take on the rejuvenation ability. some might say that the sphere of annihilation might not work.

on the whole though, ghosts should be sort of bound by there "unsettled business", so just avoiding getting caught in that might be suffice.

also, if the BBEG has the force to destroy this ghost fairly easily, it can then go at least a few days without interruption, and then kill it again, and again, and again... it might even be a sport to the BBEG, and an interesting NPC for the PCs to talk with?

hope this helped. :smallamused:
Kol.

Calanon
2011-10-19, 06:00 PM

1) set right whatever is preventing the ghost from resting in peace (for the purposes of this thread, this method is considered to be either something impossible or repulsive to the PCs).

Any other ways?

I just find myself troubled by the idea that an epic level BBEG can find himself unable to get rid of a mere 16 HD ghost.

Mind telling us what class your BBEG is? if he's a Wizard just Control Undead the ghost into blind servitude... the problem is removed and HEY you got a thrall so thats a major plus.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-20, 12:41 AM
Rebuke Undead or some way of controlling it + true resurrection

Force it to accept the resurrection means its now living and no longer a ghost.

Laugh at it before killing it and soul binding it to make sure it stays dead.

Knaight
2011-10-20, 01:27 AM
Forcecage+Permanency can deal with the ghost indefinitely, if not kill it. Plane shift can work too, particularly to any planes which force checks to want to leave.

thereaper
2011-10-20, 01:28 AM
Clever, but let's assume the ghost is too old for a True Resurrection.

However, this does give me an idea: control, kill, and order them to fail their level check (can you do that by RAW?).

Mind telling us what class your BBEG is? if he's a Wizard just Control Undead the ghost into blind servitude... the problem is removed and HEY you got a thrall so thats a major plus.

This is a thought exercise; a "what if a BBEG happened to need to kill a ghost?" scenario.

faceroll
2011-10-20, 02:06 AM
Imprison it with the imprisonment spell.

NNescio
2011-10-20, 02:08 AM
Imprison it with the imprisonment spell.

AKA the "Ghostbuster Solution".

olentu
2011-10-20, 02:38 AM
Use its soul as a spell component if using the souls as power variant rules from the book of vile darkness.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-10-21, 09:26 PM
AKA the "Ghostbuster Solution".Pure win this i

Heatwizard
2011-10-21, 09:32 PM
AKA the "Ghostbuster Solution".

And I was just coming in here to suggest crossing the streams.

Jack_Simth
2011-10-21, 09:49 PM

Any other ways?

Sphere of Annihilation is debatable, but there's no real reason to go into that here.

Alternate:
Plane Shift (or Gate) to the Ethereal. Cast Antimagic Field. Kill it in melee. Rejuvenation is (Su). Problem solved.

Alternate:
Don't kill it. Command it (Rebuking), control it (Command / Control undead), or trap it (Shades(Trap the Soul), Imprisonment, Smoky Confinement (Spell Compendium), possibly a few others).

Tvtyrant
2011-10-21, 10:04 PM
Plane shift it to the positive elemental plane. Smile, since it will rez on that plane each time.

ko_sct
2011-10-21, 10:19 PM
Plane shift it to the positive elemental plane. Smile, since it will rez on that plane each time.

Then you realise that the positive elemental plane does absolutly nothing to undead by RAW :smallconfused: (Yes i know, it make very little sense)

Tvtyrant
2011-10-21, 10:24 PM
Then you realise that the positive elemental plane does absolutly nothing to undead by RAW :smallconfused: (Yes i know, it make very little sense)

Steal does the overhealing them till they burst trick. That is really all you need :D

olentu
2011-10-21, 10:33 PM
Steal does the overhealing them till they burst trick. That is really all you need :D

Nah fort save only on creatures.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-21, 10:44 PM
Use the spell ability rip out of serpent kingdoms to permanently remove the rejuvination ability from the ghost and give it to someone else for 1 hour/ CL.

The ghost loses rejuv forever.

Coidzor
2011-10-22, 02:28 AM
Depending upon whether level checks are failed on a nat 1 (I don't think so), you can just wait for a nat one while you farm it for XP if it's 14 HD or less..

Baka Nikujaga
2011-10-22, 02:59 AM
The "Expunge the Supernatural" (on the Ghost's Rejuvenation) and "Unname" spells from Tome of Magic also work.
Edit: Added parentheses