PDA

View Full Version : Could I Have Some Help Making a Druid

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-19, 04:15 PM
My idea is to play a sandstorm druid/ Beastmaster with natural bond so I could get a dire elephant at 10th level (I would choose Roc but my dm has a habit of not letting flying creatures fly when it would be useful). For race I'm thinking Jermlaine for +6 wisdom and 0 LA. I would like to give my animal companion the warbeast template but I don't know if my dm would allow that.
Any advice would be helpful.

Flickerdart
2011-10-19, 04:28 PM
Natural Spell at level 6 is a Druid staple. If you want to pick the very most powerful race, Anthropomorphic Bat (Savage Species) is the choice for you.

gkathellar
2011-10-19, 04:36 PM
There's not much to building a druid. So long as you have Natural Spell, Druid 20 is the second most powerful build out there. If you're really big on power, you go Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/Druid 5 and win the game at level 14.

Warforged make nice druids, because despite the Wisdom penalty they get to keep a whole bunch of their racial qualities in Wild Shape.

Kaje
2011-10-19, 04:38 PM
Warforged make nice druids, because despite the Wisdom penalty they get to keep a whole bunch of their racial qualities in Wild Shape.

And the wis penalty is mitigated a bit by the fact that druids have little need for strength or dexterity.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-19, 05:32 PM
Natural Spell at level 6 is a Druid staple. If you want to pick the very most powerful race, Anthropomorphic Bat (Savage Species) is the choice for you.

Thanks, I think I'll go with with anthropomorphic bat. What book is Planar Shepherd in?Is there anything other really important things I need to know or does take natural spell and be a anthropomorphic bat with planar shepherd cover it?

sonofzeal
2011-10-19, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I think I'll go with with anthropomorphic bat. What book is Planar Shepherd in?
No.

NO.

You have no idea of the forces you're meddling with. You do NOT want Planar Sheppard. Books can and SHOULD be thrown at you if you even try. Playing Planar Sheppard in a standard campaign is like loading a nuke into your rocket launcher - it might achieve mission objectives, but will probably destroy everything you hold dear at the same time.

Is there anything other really important things I need to know or does take natural spell and be a anthropomorphic bat with planar shepherd cover it?
You need some method of getting gear in wildshape. Wilding Clasps (MIC) are the safest bet. After that you're golden.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-19, 06:09 PM
No.

NO.

You have no idea of the forces you're meddling with. You do NOT want Planar Sheppard. Books can and SHOULD be thrown at you if you even try. Playing Planar Sheppard in a standard campaign is like loading a nuke into your rocket launcher - it might achieve mission objectives, but will probably destroy everything you hold dear at the same time.

You need some method of getting gear in wildshape. Wilding Clasps (MIC) are the safest bet. After that you're golden.

No planar shepherd for my own safety and wilding clasps. thank you

faceroll
2011-10-19, 07:24 PM
Half-minotary (DR #313) or Feral templates both get you +2 wisdom and +con. Both come with +1LA, but if you can buy it off I think they're totally worthwhile.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-19, 08:13 PM
I have 2 questions. Would my animal companion count as a wild or domestic animal for purposes of giving it the warbeast template? If I do manage to give it the template would my dm throw books at me.

gkathellar
2011-10-19, 08:30 PM
There's no protocol for adding templates to your animal companion (other than the Horrid template and certain feats), and thus no real way to do it by RAW.

faceroll
2011-10-19, 08:33 PM
I think the warbeast template can legitimately be added to an animal companion.

GnomeGninjas
2011-10-20, 06:17 AM
There's no protocol for adding templates to your animal companion (other than the Horrid template and certain feats), and thus no real way to do it by RAW.

MM2 p.219 says that with 2 months of training and a DC 20 handle animal check you can give a domestic animal the warbeast template.

kulosle
2011-10-20, 07:20 AM
so if you do want to just destroy the game you could simply be a druid, but if you want to have some fun with a character go with dagger wildshaper prestige class from the complete adventure. yes it sucks but it is a new flare to an otherwise overly abused old dog. thats not to say that i dislike druids, on the contrary, they are my favorite class. i just like giving them style.

Urpriest
2011-10-20, 10:52 AM
MM2 p.219 says that with 2 months of training and a DC 20 handle animal check you can give a domestic animal the warbeast template.

Or, it says you can train a warbeast based on a domesticated animal. Since this is the DC from 3.0 to train a domesticated animal, this seems like the intent. Still, the interpretation that you can add the template mid-game is a popular one.