PDA

View Full Version : Hiding and manifesting powers

Yorae
2011-10-19, 05:00 PM
I had a theoretical situation in my head and I wasn't sure how it would play out, exactly:

Say you have a psychic assassin, with a bunch of ranks in hide.
She is hiding near two potential targets and manifests Fate Link, targetting both of them. When they roll their saves, are they made aware of the assassin's presence? The only display for Fate Link is olfactory... but would being affected by the power alert them in any way?

Kaje
2011-10-19, 05:01 PM
Pretty sure you notice something off if you have to make a save.

Keld Denar
2011-10-19, 05:06 PM
Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a power that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted power you sense that the power has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area powers.

Failing a Saving Throw against Mind-Affecting Powers
If you fail your save, you are unaware that you have been affected by a power.

Fate Link is not mind affecting, though, so its kinda unclear. If either target suceeds, they KNOW they had to make a save. If they both fail the save, however, it doesn't describe what happens for non-[Mind Affecting] powers.

I'd guess that they wouldn't know any better, assuming they both fail.

Howler Dagger
2011-10-19, 05:07 PM
He could make a concentration check at DC 15+ the level of Fate Link to suppress the display. Though IMO, the description from the SRD doesnt give any indication that it would be instantly recognizable. If the targets were knowledable in psionics, they would recognize it. If they were someone who is constantly in danger or improtant, they would recognize that something is strange and look around, giving them a spot check to notice. I wouldt say that a save warrants noticing, unless of course they failed iit and were subject to the effects, or if there were effects on a save (such as fortitude, will, or reflex partial). Or if they could obviously see the effects of the power.

Psyren
2011-10-19, 11:59 PM
Displays, if you don't suppress them, can be used to discover your location. Fate Link, for instance, has an olfactory display: "The odor originates from the manifester and spreads to a distance of 20 feet, then fades in less than a second (or lasts for the duration, at the manifester’s option)." It is vital to suppress your displays if you're manifesting incognito.

Yuki Akuma
2011-10-20, 05:49 AM
If you succeed a saving throw, you know that something tried to do something to you. If you fail, you... don't always notice that you did. It depends.

hex0
2011-10-20, 07:01 PM
Displays, if you don't suppress them, can be used to discover your location. Fate Link, for instance, has an olfactory display: "The odor originates from the manifester and spreads to a distance of 20 feet, then fades in less than a second (or lasts for the duration, at the manifester’s option)." It is vital to suppress your displays if you're manifesting incognito.

So your enemies are like, "Who farted?". Psionics are weird.

Unless they have the Scent ability, you should be fine 30 feet away, right?

Psyren
2011-10-20, 07:06 PM
So your enemies are like, "Who farted?". Psionics are weird.

Actually, they're more likely to say "Is that mom's apple pie?"

"Olfactory: An odd but familiar odor brings to mind a brief mental flash of a long-buried memory. The scent is difficult to pin down, and no two individuals ever describe it the same way."

Unless they have the Scent ability, you should be fine 30 feet away, right?

It wouldn't let them pinpoint you, but they'd at least turn in the direction the smell was coming from, getting a spot check in the process. You would be fine at 30 ft. though, yes.