PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster Fix [3.5, Redux]

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-19, 07:46 PM
Explaination:
[NOTE - AWARE OF OTHER FIXES. I HAVE A WEIRD DESIRE TO DO MY OWN]

In Tome of Magic, there lies the forgotten brother to the awesome Binder and the abomination that is the Truenamer, known as the Shadowcaster. Limited to Mysteries and Fundamentals (which are hit and miss in themselves) and given a low, low number of Mysteries per day and thus an unhealthy attachment to their crossbow, they tend to sit in T4 until the higher levels, where they can drag themselves into low T3 (if that). It's an utter shame because the Shadowcaster has that creepy coolness about it. So, I propose a T3-T2 fix that goes something like......

The Shadowcaster

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/Ibe_by_dinmoney-1.jpg
[Source] (http://dinmoney.deviantart.com/art/Ibe-156931585)

My eyes burn with knowledge you couldn't imagine. The shadows cling to me like sycophantic peasants cling to their glorious king. I can take this world and chill it to its core with a smothering blanket of shade if I so wished to. What can you do, child? - Jacob Everett, Lord of the First House, Parliament of Shadows.

Hit Die: d6

The Shadowcaster
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6t h|7th|8th|9th

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Mysteries, Fundamentals|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Umbral Sight (Darkvision 60ft)|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Pathway Power (+1)|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Shadow Familiar|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Sustaining Shadow (Shadow Sustenance)|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Umbral Sight (Blindsense 60ft)|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Apprentice Mysteries (Spell-like), Initiate Mysteries|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Bonus Feat|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Pathway Power (+2)|5|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Sustaining Shadow (Shadow Breath), Umbral Sight (Blindsense 120ft)|5|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Supernatural Fundamentals|5|5|5|4|3|2|-|-|-

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bonus Feat|5|5|5|4|4|3|-|-|-

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Apprentice Mysteries (Supernatural), Initiate Mysteries (Spell-like), Master Mysteries|5|5|5|5|4|3|2|-|-

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Umbral Sight (Blindsight 60ft)|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|-|-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Pathway Power (+3), Sustaining Shadow (Shadow Blood)|5|5|5|5|5|4|3|2|-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Bonus Feat|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|-

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Form of Darkness|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|3|2

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Umbral Sight (Blindsight 120ft)|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|3

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Initiate Mysteries (Supernatural), Master Mysteries (Spell-like)|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|3

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat, Sustaining Shadow (Shadow Life)|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|4[/table]

Mysteries Retrieved
{table=head]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|1|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

2nd|2|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

3rd|2|1|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

4th|3|2|---|---|---|---|---|---|---

5th|3|2|1|---|---|---|---|---|---

6th|3|3|2|---|---|---|---|---|---

7th|4|3|2|1|---|---|---|---|---

8th|4|3|3|2|---|---|---|---|---

9th|4|4|3|2|1|---|---|---|---

10th|4|4|3|3|2|1|---|---|---|---

11th|4|4|4|3|2|2|---|---|---

12th|4|4|4|3|3|2|---|---|---

13th|4|4|4|4|3|3|1|---|---

14th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|---|---

15th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|---

16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|---

17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2

20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3[/table]

Class Skills
The Shadowcaster's class skills are; Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Any; taken separately), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, and Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Proficiencies: Shadowcasters are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weaponry, and Light Armor.

Mysteries: A Shadowcaster casts Mysteries (ToM) as arcane spells which can be chosen from any mystery they have retrieved. He can cast any mystery he has retrieved spontaneously, like a sorcerer casts from his spells known, and does not need to prepare slots ahead of time the way a wizard or cleric does. Because of their unique connection with their Mysteries, a Shadowcaster may cast their Mysteries while wearing light armor without risking arcane spell failure.
To retrieve or cast a Mystery, a Shadowcaster must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the Mystery level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Shadowcaster’s spell is 10 + the Mystery level + the Shadowcaster’s Charisma modifier.
Like spellcasters, a Shadowcaster can cast only a certain number of Mysteries of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given in the table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score, like a Sorcerer.
*A Shadowcaster does not have spells known or a medium to contain the knowledge of spells like an arcane caster, but instead draws its power from the Plane of Shadow itself, and shapes it with their force of will into Mysteries, making a Shadowcaster limited to casting the spells it has retrieved at the start of each day. After gaining 8 hours rest to regain their daily allotment of spells like a sorcerer does, a Shadowcaster may take 1 hour of calm meditation (like a Sorcerer or Wizard) to pick out the Mysteries it wishes to have at its Mysteries Retrieved.
A Shadowcaster may choose any Mystery of the appropriate level as one of its Mysteries Retrieved. A Shadowcaster does not need to follow set paths of Mysteries - they may jump ahead in paths if they wish.
A Shadowcaster may only retrieve a limited amount of Mysteries per day, as noted in the table above. Once chosen, these Mysteries Retrived function like a Sorcerer's spells known, and the Shadowcaster may cast any of these Mysteries retrieved, provided they have not used up their Mysteries per Day for that level.
For example, a 5th level Shadowcaster can retrieve 3 1st level Mysteries, 2 2nd level Mysteries and 1 3rd level Mysteries. They may use their Mysteries per day to cast these Mysteries Retrieved as they see fit, in any combination they like.
A Shadowcaster may use a higher level use of its Mysteries per Day to cast a lower level Mystery, but not the other way around. The Shadowcaster could cast a 1st level Mystery with a 3rd level use per day, but not a 3rd level Mystery with a 1st level use per day.
At 7th level, the Shadowcaster casts its Apprentice Mysteries as if they were Spell-Like Abilities, and at 13th level casts them as if they were Supernatural abilities. At 13th level, the Shadowcaster casts its Initiate Mysteries as if they were Spell-Like Abilities and at 19th level casts them as if they were Supernatural abilities. At 19th level, the Shadowcaster casts its Master Mysteries as if they were Spell-Like abilities.
*In keeping with the fix, if a prestige class would progress a Shadowcaster's mysteries and talks about Mysteries Known, it stacks to determine the progression of Mysteries Retrieved instead. Basically, levels noted as "+1 (spell)casting/mystery casting" stack with Shadowcaster levels to determine this class feature.

Fundamentals (Sp): A Shadowcaster, along with its powerful Mysteries, also can draw on less powerful but easily accessed Fundamentals (ToM). At 1st and 3rd level, and every 3 levels past that, the Shadowcaster gains one Fundamental of its choice as an at-will spell-like ability. At 11th level, all of the Shadowcaster's Fundamentals are Supernatural abilities instead.

Umbral Sight (Ex): At 2nd level, the Shadowcaster's eyes develop to the darkness, granting Darkvision out 60ft. At 6th level, the Shadowcaster gains Blindsight out 60ft, which increases to 120ft at 10th level. At 14th level, the Shadowcaster gains Blindsight out 60ft, and at 18th level the Shadowcaster's Blindsense is replaced with Blindsight out 120ft.

Pathway Power (Su): At 3rd level, when the Shadowcaster retrieves a fully complete Path of Mysteries i.e. all three Cloak of Shadows Mysteries, the Shadowcaster gains +1 to the Save DC of that complete path. At 9th and 15th level, the DC bonus increases to +2 and +3 respectively. If the Mystery does not have a Save DC, then the Mystery's caster level is increased by the same bonus instead.

Shadow Familiar: At 4th level, the Shadowcaster gains Shadow Familiar (ToM) as a bonus feat. If the Shadowcaster already has this feat, they may choose any Metashadow feat they qualify for instead.

Bonus Feat: At 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level, the Shadowcaster gains a Metashadow feat that they otherwise qualify for as a bonus feat.

Sustaining Shadow (Ex): As the Shadowcaster casts its Mysteries, it changes in many ways because of its exposure to the Plane of Shadow. At 5th level, the Shadowcaster loses the need to eat or drink. At 10th level, the Shadowcaster no longer needs to breath and at 15th level the Shadowcaster becomes immune to all poisons and diseases. At 20th level, the Shadowcaster stops aging indefinitely, and does not require any sleep (but still needs 8 hours rest to regain Mysteries per Day and the ability to retrieve its Mysteries known).

Form of Darkness (Ex): At 17th level, the Shadowcaster gains the Dark Template (ToM 158), minus any LA.

Zagaroth
2011-10-19, 08:43 PM
Just to be clear, Mysteries Retrieved is a daily-changing set of Mysteries(spells) known, and then you spontaneously cast from the set known as per the other table?

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-19, 08:44 PM
Just to be clear, Mysteries Retrieved is a daily-changing set of Mysteries(spells) known, and then you spontaneously cast from the set known as per the other table?

Yup. I basically cribbed it from the Spirit Shaman (CompDiv) because I thought it was a cool mechanic to use.

RedWarrior0
2011-10-19, 08:54 PM
You probably want to fix the text of Umbral Sight, since it mostly says Blindsight before referring to replacing Blindsense. Table is fine as-is, though.

peacenlove
2011-10-20, 05:42 AM
He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

You mean as a sorcerer.

Also giving them medium attack bonus and martial weapon proficiency, while denying them their good fortitude save and keeping their HD to d6 seems ... strange. Do you intend for them to be skirmishers with their touch attacks? M.W.P. is not needed but a good fortitude is.

I suggest moving the "Initiate Mysteries (Supernatural), Master Mysteries (Spell-like)" ability to 19th level, to fill a potential dead level and to keep the mathematical formula of the transformation of mysteries (bad english :smallsigh:).

This is a spontaneous spellcaster right? I can use any and all tricks / feats / items a spontaneous caster has and metashadow feats still cost a full round action to be applied (With the exception of still and quicken mystery ofc), right?
This caught my eye, reminds me of an old adaptation of the shadowcaster I liked. When I find time I will critique it further.

Zagaroth
2011-10-20, 07:19 AM
peacenlove, he meant wizard and cleric. He was giving a counter example, though slightly worded poorly. The wizard & cleric part was a reference to having to preparing the spells.For clearer wording I would change it to

He can cast any mystery he has retrieved spontaneously, like a sorcerer casts his spells known, and does not need to prepare slots ahead of time the way a wizard or cleric does.

Over all I think I like this brew :)

TheGeckoKing
2011-10-20, 10:08 AM
Also giving them medium attack bonus and martial weapon proficiency, while denying them their good fortitude save and keeping their HD to d6 seems ... strange. Do you intend for them to be skirmishers with their touch attacks? M.W.P. is not needed but a good fortitude is.

I'll give them a good fortitude then, I guess.

I suggest moving the "Initiate Mysteries (Supernatural), Master Mysteries (Spell-like)" ability to 19th level, to fill a potential dead level and to keep the mathematical formula of the transformation of mysteries (bad english :smallsigh:).

Sure.

This is a spontaneous spellcaster right? I can use any and all tricks / feats / items a spontaneous caster has and metashadow feats still cost a full round action to be applied (With the exception of still and quicken mystery ofc), right?

I guess you could, but when the Mysteries turn into Spell-Like/Supernatural Abilities i'm not sure it would work it then.

This caught my eye, reminds me of an old adaptation of the shadowcaster I liked. When I find time I will critique it further.

Many thanks. :smallsmile:

peacenlove, he meant wizard and cleric. He was giving a counter example, though slightly worded poorly. The wizard & cleric part was a reference to having to preparing the spells.For clearer wording I would change it to

I'm going to steal that unashamedly. :smalltongue:

Over all I think I like this brew :)

Snazzy :smallbiggrin: